• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Photoshoot Leadership/Etiquette

#1 User is offline   She Of The Blue Camera 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65505

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

Maybe this should have gone in the "gathering" section, but I don't want to clutter it.

I went to many photoshoots this year that were leaderless and I took charge. (I'm kinda good at it.)
Nobody seemed to mind my method of asking if anybody was in charge, and then when nobody answered, responding with "okay then I will be!"

Does anyone else have experience of stepping into command? How long do you usually wait to determine that nobody else is going to be in charge?

#2 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

I'm not the type to step into command, but have helped by finding the leader/fill-in and giving them ideas.

However, I've seen it happen more than once where someone arrives five minutes early, decides it's their shoot, everyone starts listening to them, and then the actual leader shows up a minute or two late and can't gain control.

I've only run one shoot of my own, and it was really small and people knew I'd be in charge by my cosplay, but if I was in charge of something bigger and people wouldn't have known I was in charge, I sure as hell be mad if I showed up two minutes late and found out someone took over the shoot I was in charge of. It's a hard line to balance...like, shoots have to start on time. But we're human. If the leader doesn't announce themselves within five minutes of the start time, I'd suggest someone take it over. But on the opposite note, if the leader shows up late and makes it known they're the leader (rather than those who complain and mope but don't SPEAK UP), I'd fill them in on what's already been done and hand the reins back to them. But there are plenty of shoots where the originator just never shows up :/
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#3 User is offline   slicedbread 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 21946

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 04 August 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

I'm not the type to step into command, but have helped by finding the leader/fill-in and giving them ideas.

However, I've seen it happen more than once where someone arrives five minutes early, decides it's their shoot, everyone starts listening to them, and then the actual leader shows up a minute or two late and can't gain control.

I've only run one shoot of my own, and it was really small and people knew I'd be in charge by my cosplay, but if I was in charge of something bigger and people wouldn't have known I was in charge, I sure as hell be mad if I showed up two minutes late and found out someone took over the shoot I was in charge of. It's a hard line to balance...like, shoots have to start on time. But we're human. If the leader doesn't announce themselves within five minutes of the start time, I'd suggest someone take it over. But on the opposite note, if the leader shows up late and makes it known they're the leader (rather than those who complain and mope but don't SPEAK UP), I'd fill them in on what's already been done and hand the reins back to them. But there are plenty of shoots where the originator just never shows up :/

I had to do this for the DBZ Saturday (maybe Friday?) shoot in 2013, no one showed up and it was like 5-10 minutes after, so I figured we'd get rolling so people didn't miss out.

This year, however, was absolutely the most infuriating experience I've ever had at ACen. The Sword Art Online shoot that happened on Friday.... I don't know if the guy who lead it was the actual leader, but they moved the location, twice. This is a problem already because he didn't leave any signage behind to indicate where to go to next, so it was just people going where they 'should' be and MAYBE running into someone who knew something. Then when they finally stopped moving, he started it early. Here's the kicker, he f@#$ing organized and started it early EXCLUSIVELY so that he could interrupt the entire shoot to propose to his girlfriend. What's more because he started it early AND ended up running it in a spot where other shoots were supposed to be, so we got muscled out in like HALF the time shoots are supposed to last.

Listen, if you want to do something personal like that, I'm ok with it and I hope it goes well for you. But screw you guy and your shitty inconsiderate nature to truncate, ruin or otherwise hamper everyone else's enjoyment of the shoot. The shoot does NOT exist for one person or couple, it's for the whole group. I specifically worked my butt off up until the last night before the con, as many people do, so I could be ready for that shoot specifically. If I show up only 10 minutes late to a 30-50 minute shoot, I should have no worries that "Hey, guess I'm only making it into 3 pictures.

Still steaming mad, ugh....Posted Image/>Posted Image/>

This post has been edited by slicedbread: 05 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

"The pain you feel is your very essence. The essence of the crude animal known as homo sapien."
"Admiration is the state furthest away from understanding."
"It is in changing that we find purpose."
Gallery links below!
2009: Pre-release Espada Stark (Bleach) | 2010: Ryoji Kaji (Evangelion) | 2011: Axel (Kingdom Hearts) + Staff Suite | 2012: n/a | 2013: Future Trunks (DBZ) | 2014: 343 Guilty Spark (Halo)

...LinkedIn......Twitter...
<Only Slightly Used>

#4 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

View Postslicedbread, on 05 August 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

I had to do this for the DBZ Saturday (maybe Friday?) shoot in 2013, no one showed up and it was like 5-10 minutes after, so I figured we'd get rolling so people didn't miss out.

This year, however, was absolutely the most infuriating experience I've ever had at ACen. The Sword Art Online shoot that happened on Friday.... I don't know if the guy who lead it was the actual leader, but they moved the location, twice. This is a problem already because he didn't leave any signage behind to indicate where to go to next, so it was just people going where they 'should' be and MAYBE running into someone who knew something. Then when they finally stopped moving, he started it early. Here's the kicker, he f@#$ing organized and started it early EXCLUSIVELY so that he could interrupt the entire shoot to propose to his girlfriend. What's more because he started it early AND ended up running it in a spot where other shoots were supposed to be, so we got muscled out in like HALF the time shoots are supposed to last.

Listen, if you want to do something personal like that, I'm ok with it and I hope it goes well for you. But screw you guy and your shitty inconsiderate nature to truncate, ruin or otherwise hamper everyone else's enjoyment of the shoot. The shoot does NOT exist for one person or couple, it's for the whole group. I specifically worked my butt off up until the last night before the con, as many people do, so I could be ready for that shoot specifically. If I show up only 10 minutes late to a 30-50 minute shoot, I should have no worries that "Hey, guess I'm only making it into 3 pictures.

Wow...like, it's super cute you want to propose to your gf and all. But how about doing it at the scheduled time and location, and if you're not running the shoot politely ask the person who is to leave time for that, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to agree. He had no right to move everything around and ESPECIALLY block other shoots. That's just rude.
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#5 User is offline   Goldeneyeuro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 58858

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

I've done this a few times, and it's usually if there's a group that nobody is willing to step into a leadership position for or none was originally appointed. I'm not one for trying to lord over people, and don't want to seem overbearing (thought I think I need to be more assertive) so I just follow the standard protocol of "groups first, then individuals, then special scene reenactments, and requests can be made any time." My philosophy is that if nobody takes control, then I will (though I let attendees object if they wish), because there's no reason for a shoot to be cancelled if the leader fails to show up. I usually give a chance for said originally appointed leader to show up first (5 min in a 30 min shoot, double that in a 60 min shoot), and if the leader shows up later, then I'll bring him or her up to speed on what has already occurred. That's how I ran the DGM shoot this past ACen, and I had to take on the leadership role once at Anime Detour and once at Youmacon. I do it as a sense of duty and salvaging the photoshoot rather than a position of power.
Never be average... - myself.
When life has no purpose, you're dead already. - Kiba from Wolf's Rain

Planned ACen 2K14 Cosplays:
Lavi (2nd outfit)- D. Gray Man, Lio Izumi- Full Moon wo Sagashite, Rei Ryugazaki (nightclub outfit)- Free!, Kamui Gakupo (Fate/Rebirth outfit)- Vocaloid

My Flickr- click for my photos

#6 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:42 PM

I'll be the voice on the other side of this.

One year, I was supposed to be running a Bleach shoot. (I believe it was 2 years ago). I showed up maybe 2 or 3 minutes after the start time and there was already a crowd and someone seemed to have things under control. Now I'm a shy person and I didn't feel comfortable shouting out - oh hey I'm in charge! - so I let said person take control. I was completely fine with it. (as an aside - when I found out I'd be in charge of the shoot, I had planned to show up early enough to beat the crowd and meet people as they arrived. It seemed less stressful that way. I did plan to be in charge and to control the shoot but I prefer leadership to be given to me rather than to take it.) I think it's important that someone take control if it seems like there is no one to do so but it should also be up to said person that wants to take control to just verify "Who was supposed to lead this" before they take over and like another poster said, hand over the reigns if the actual leader does show up.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#7 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:02 AM

View Postslicedbread, on 05 August 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

....actually, that was the exact reason the Friday SAO shoot was scheduled.. so he COULD propose to his girlfriend. They had met at ACen and that was kind of part of their relationship thing. The person who was supposed to be running the group messaged me last minute and said she couldn't make it..so he took over. With the weather being as frigid as it was that day, I'm really not surprised that it was moved.

#8 User is offline   slicedbread 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 21946

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

View Postcactusmomma, on 10 September 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

....actually, that was the exact reason the Friday SAO shoot was scheduled.. so he COULD propose to his girlfriend. They had met at ACen and that was kind of part of their relationship thing. The person who was supposed to be running the group messaged me last minute and said she couldn't make it..so he took over. With the weather being as frigid as it was that day, I'm really not surprised that it was moved.

See, that's the thing, he's not the only one who wanted to be there for the SAO shoot, so I don't care. Even IF that was the reason he felt the shoot should exist, it's not the reason that shoots exist at the con. If someone wants a shoot like this to be super personal and specific in purpose, then they do their own thing out of respect for the other attendees and makes it known what the purpose is. Most of the other shoot attendees were blindsided by it.

He could very well have proposed during the shoot no problem WITHOUT moving it twice (eventually into some other group's spot) and then getting it cut short, which left other attendees such as myself left in the dark and without the shoot that they too had be looking forward to, albeit for different intentions.

TL;DR
Just because it's a love/cute/one-time thing doesn't excuse it. It's selfish, plain and simple.

This post has been edited by slicedbread: 10 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

"The pain you feel is your very essence. The essence of the crude animal known as homo sapien."
"Admiration is the state furthest away from understanding."
"It is in changing that we find purpose."
Gallery links below!
2009: Pre-release Espada Stark (Bleach) | 2010: Ryoji Kaji (Evangelion) | 2011: Axel (Kingdom Hearts) + Staff Suite | 2012: n/a | 2013: Future Trunks (DBZ) | 2014: 343 Guilty Spark (Halo)

...LinkedIn......Twitter...
<Only Slightly Used>

#9 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

being on time is very important for any person leading anything.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users