• You cannot reply to this topic

Anime/Manga Separated at Birth? When two series are too alike to be coincidence

#1 User is offline   Matt 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 1225

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Having recently watched the Trigun and Black Cat anime series for the first time (and having read all of Trigun and begun reading Black Cat), I've noticed that the storylines share striking similarities.

Legendary gunman feared by criminals and laypeople alike: Check
Has signature gun that can best other firearms: Check
Pines for dead female mentor, and consequently resolves never to kill another human being: Check
Is pursued by maniacal former co-hort, who has formed his own band of super-powered villains: Check

Granted, they're by two different authors, and their similarities are likely coincidence, but it got me to thinking of how other shows share similar ideas and/or characters. Anyone else know of any series "separated at birth"?
:heart: <span style='color:Magenta'>Proud Secretary of the Plushy Guardian Alliance</span> :heart:

:heart: <span style='color:Blue'>Soldier in The Glomp Team </span> :heart:

<span style='color:DarkSlateBlue'>Member of the Anime Central Association for the Advancement of Bunnykind</span>

#2 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Digimon Adventure Bokura no War Game and Summer Wars. From the same director, but still =p
ACen Mascot Artist

#3 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 65191

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

View PostMatt, on 20 June 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

Having recently watched the Trigun and Black Cat anime series for the first time (and having read all of Trigun and begun reading Black Cat), I've noticed that the storylines share striking similarities.

Legendary gunman feared by criminals and laypeople alike: Check
Has signature gun that can best other firearms: Check
Pines for dead female mentor, and consequently resolves never to kill another human being: Check
Is pursued by maniacal former co-hort, who has formed his own band of super-powered villains: Check

Granted, they're by two different authors, and their similarities are likely coincidence, but it got me to thinking of how other shows share similar ideas and/or characters. Anyone else know of any series "separated at birth"?

Not technically oth manga, and this similarity makes me very sad because of the mangaka being greaat, but millenium Snow by Bisco Hatori and the Twilight Saga, both a vampire and werewolf fighting over a girl.

But as for manga, parts of Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew, I mean both are magical girl anime, but still.
And parts of Madoka Magica and Kuroshitsuji, since both are loosely based off "Faust".
ACen 2015 Cosplay-
Saturday: Cinder Fall: 40% done

Anime Midwest 2015 Cosplay-
Friday:Neo (RWBY): 30% done
Saturday: Cinder Fall: 40% done
Sunday:Mikasa Ackerman: 60% done
Progress can be viewed here

#4 User is offline   shizuka-kun 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 65164

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

There has been multiple controversy on how One Piece and Fairy Tail are so similar.
Yes, the art style in the first few chapters looks a lot like Oda's and there's that whole Shanks/Gildarts look-a-like thing. I mean, the first 166 chapters are really the only ones that contain them.
This has nothing to do with the plot, but those two series seem to be fraternal twins.
(◡‿◡✿)
(◕‿◕✿) “What you say 'bout me”
(◕‿◕)ノ✿ “Hold my flower”
✿\(。-_-。) “Kick his butt, baby. I got yo flower."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users