Anime Central Forums: Feedback/Suggestions Appreciated on YouTube Channel - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Feedback/Suggestions Appreciated on YouTube Channel

#1 User is offline   jonuiuc 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65700

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

So I just started a new youtube channel with two short vids on Bakemonogatari and Berserk. I'm limited by my utter lack of editing skills and software, so its probably going to be all talking head style vids for me. I do put some sort of effort into getting the sound and image nice looking though. I want to avoid giving spoilers or detailed recaps etc. So within those limitations, if you have any suggestions for improvements or suggestions on video topics, I'd appreciate it.

https://www.youtube....mHK5Y5S_cmw864Q

I'm trying not to retread the same ground as other anime reviewers and view count is not really a big concern to me (so I'm avoiding any click baiting), as long as the content is good and the people who do watch find it enjoyable. I find this channel is sort of a companion to my written blog.

#2 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

This is an honest and possibly harsh sounding critique, but please don't think I'm trying to be mean! You asked for help, so I'm giving it! For the past year I've been doing videography and editing, and sometimes I'm even in front of the camera doing those "talking head" segments too. So this is coming from someone who does this kind of stuff regularly, and I also watch a lot of reviewers like people on thatguywiththeglasses.
As far as the camera goes your depth of field is much too shallow. It looks like no more than about 3 inches of your face is in focus. What camera are you using?

I think you do explain things well, but I feel your tone is a bit monotonous. So at times I got a little... bored, for a lack of a better term. I think you could benefit from being a little more upbeat and excited about your subject matter, or just varying your tone.

And, I noticed you say "um" a lot. It's a common problem, so don't feel bad. I took a speech class in college that really helped break us of the "um" habit. For some people it's "like" or "and", so the first step is identifying what your "um" word is. Then you just have to practice not saying which means you need to be listening to yourself when you speak and catching them. Also, having a script or even bullet points written out that you can glance at will help you to stop because it keeps you focused on what you are trying to say, and you don't have to pause and think. Those moments when people pause and think of what they are trying to say is where the filler words like "um" happen.

I think you're heading in a good direction though overall. It's better than I expected actually. I see a lot of potential from you.

Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#3 User is offline   jonuiuc 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

Hey no problem JujuFox, I appreciate the feedback. I'm working in a cramped space, I was using a 35mm f/1.8 CCTV lens on a Sony NEX-5T (its like a $40 16mm film lens adapted to APS-C). This thing is only really sharp in the middle, so sitting off center may be softening me a bit (at least I spared everyone the actual texture of my skin). I can try stopping it down, I just didn't want the stuff in the background to be too in-focus. The lens is manual so there is no auto focusing, sadly my arm is not long enough to adjust the focus and sit in place, so its a bit of trial and error. My other lens options are a bit too wide or too long to use in my little apt, but I can try different set ups and backgrounds.

Hopefully my comfort in front of the camera will improve with practice. I'll try mixing up my tone as you suggested. I shot everything with little or no prep, all in one take (which is probably evident). Having some bullet points to glance at is actually a good idea, plus it can help me focus on reducing my "umms". Part of the reason I decided to try this was to become a better speaker actually.

Thanks for your suggestions!

#4 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

Yeah f/1.8 is way too shallow. You can use a depth of field calculator to figure out what you need to set it to based on the distance you are from the camera: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html Your camera is in there, so select it and your lens, distance, etc.

I'm also in a very small apartment, so I know how you feel. Even the green screen "room" that I use is actually just a big closet. Gotta make do with what little you have!

I thought you looked comfortable in front of the camera. You didn't seem nervous. :)
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#5 User is offline   jonuiuc 

• Pip

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

Thanks! That DOF calculator is really great, I can really see how little I was trying to work with.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users