Anime Central Forums: Anyone ever buy from.....? - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone ever buy from.....? Online and in store anime sellers. Come here to check their quality.

#1 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

  • Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090
  • Posts: 5,780
  • Joined: 27-April 08
  • Location:In your brain making you smell fudge

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

Hello!

Recently, I have been on the hunt for a decently priced out of print DVD box set (Blood Plus Part One DVD Box Set) and came upon a 'next best thing' listing on a site called ShopAnimeDVD.com. I have never before heard of this place and before spending my money here wanted to know if anyone else has shopped here or heard anything about the place?

I also came across:
Boxanime.com
Robert's Anime Corner Store (animecornerstore.com)

Also - if there are places besides amazon and ebay that you guys get anime/manga from online or in the Chicago area, please share that as well.

And finally, I open this to others who may have the same question. Feel free to post your questions here in search for helpful answers.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#2 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448
  • Posts: 645
  • Joined: 23-April 09
  • Location:In front of my computer

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

Rightstuf.com tends to have really good prices, especially when something goes on sale.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;


"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon



#3 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 56275
  • Posts: 520
  • Joined: 05-May 10
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

Seconding Kaay-chan. I buy most of my anime and manga from rightstuf.com nowadays. They also have this "got anime" club membership, which gets you an extra 10% off almost everything they sell for 10 dollars a year. My membership has paid for itself a few times over.
ACen 2015 Plans
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 30%
Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 0%

Moved to 2016: Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#4 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

  • Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090
  • Posts: 5,780
  • Joined: 27-April 08
  • Location:In your brain making you smell fudge

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for that. I'll bookmark that site!
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#5 User is offline   rondo 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075
  • Posts: 1,384
  • Joined: 13-January 07

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

I buy from rightstuf every now and then, but I have found that if you are patient, amazon can have some really low prices on some items from time to time, unmatched by anyone else. Best Buy recently had some really low prices on some sentai titles, of which Amazon matched on many.

#6 User is offline   youth 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 22
  • Posts: 120
  • Joined: 08-April 03

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Rightstuf is the goto store for my anime blu-ray's/DVD's. Free shipping over $50 is nice & since they're only in Iowa stuff gets to the Chicagoland area in about 3-4 days even with the free shipping. Amazon is good when Funimation does a promotion with them where they price alot of Funi's titles at 50-60% off msrp (Rightstuf is normally 40%).
g'day
youth

#7 User is offline   wolverine33 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 582
  • Posts: 1,013
  • Joined: 23-May 03
  • Location:Kankakee ill

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:41 AM

I've bought a couple of anime from Right Stuff before i didn';t have any
problems with the items i bought, they have weekly sales that can be
interesting to look up,

Later B)

#8 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

  • Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912
  • Posts: 404
  • Joined: 25-April 06

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

Animecornerstore.com isn't bad. The site has a few typos, and sometimes its code appears in odd places. Occasionally the site seems outdated -- I don't think anything in the Recommendation section of the FAQ was made after 2005. Prices are competitive, if not always the best. I like the site most because it seems to convey a personality.

If you have a local comics store, see what it offers. Ask them if they're willing to help you order a recent or upcoming book. Some of my old favorite comics stores are still alive, but most of them have been slowly reducing the size/scope of their translated manga. The two currently active bookstore chains (BN and Books a Million) have modest but decent selections.

I bought a new video from my local FYE just a few days ago, but even though I think the chain's prices and section aren't bad, it has been slowly dying. If you can get to Downers Grove, then consider Fry's Electronics. I haven't been there in over a year, but I remember that it had a pretty good selection of anime series and individual discs.

Disc Replay and Half Price Books are among the local sources for used media. I think both are reliable, but be sure to test any video which you get from them right away. Make sure it works on your system.

#9 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

  • Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090
  • Posts: 5,780
  • Joined: 27-April 08
  • Location:In your brain making you smell fudge

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Thank you for all of these tips!

I do like FYE sadly I have no idea where one is in the chicagoland area.

I will keep all of your suggestions in mind!
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#10 User is offline   Traken 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61257
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 16-December 11

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:56 AM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 04 June 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

Thank you for all of these tips!

I do like FYE sadly I have no idea where one is in the chicagoland area.

I will keep all of your suggestions in mind!



Depending on where you are, there's an FYE in the Stratford Square Mall in Bloomingdale. There's also a Too Cool in that mall for some random other anime/game related stuff. Not the greatest place, but they do have some decent wall scrolls at the very least.

#11 User is offline   Ashori 

  • Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991
  • Posts: 924
  • Joined: 07-May 07
  • Location:Midway between Mil and Chi, WI

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

View PostTraken, on 05 June 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

There's also a Too Cool in that mall for some random other anime/game related stuff. Not the greatest place, but they do have some decent wall scrolls at the very least.

Too Cool also sells bootleg items, so you need to be careful on what you purchase. I've gotten burned by one such bootleg. Call it an excited impulse, but I bought a pin set of Lucy's keys from Fairy Tail. It wasn't until later on that evening did I really examine it and saw it was bootleg. Got a pair of the same keys, one being gold like it should be and the other silver. Plus the images on the box were rather pixelated and not quite accurate. I knew I should've paid attention more, and had I been allowed to touch it and examine it properly, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

I've been to the ones in Gurnee and Vernon Hills. I've seen bootlegs at both locations. However, at the Vernon Hills store, at least I was actually allowed to TOUCH the merchandise and the people in there were rather friendly to talk to. In Gurnee, I always felt like the employees were staring and judging me, which creeps me out. Plus the fact they never let you touch the merchandise on the walls and shelves. I did once, trying to see what Fairy Tail pins they had (these were legit; these were the ones packages and distributed by Great Eastern) and looking for a certain one. I was yelled at not to touch and that they were all the same. They definitely were NOT, as I saw Erza and Lucy both on the same hook.

I would personally avoid Too Cool unless you were buying small things like pins and Ramune, maybe even their wall scrolls as well. But I would avoid the other things like the plushies and collectibles. More than likely you'll just be getting a bootleg.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#12 User is offline   Traken 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61257
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 16-December 11

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostAshori, on 08 June 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Too Cool also sells bootleg items, so you need to be careful on what you purchase. I've gotten burned by one such bootleg. Call it an excited impulse, but I bought a pin set of Lucy's keys from Fairy Tail. It wasn't until later on that evening did I really examine it and saw it was bootleg. Got a pair of the same keys, one being gold like it should be and the other silver. Plus the images on the box were rather pixelated and not quite accurate. I knew I should've paid attention more, and had I been allowed to touch it and examine it properly, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

I've been to the ones in Gurnee and Vernon Hills. I've seen bootlegs at both locations. However, at the Vernon Hills store, at least I was actually allowed to TOUCH the merchandise and the people in there were rather friendly to talk to. In Gurnee, I always felt like the employees were staring and judging me, which creeps me out. Plus the fact they never let you touch the merchandise on the walls and shelves. I did once, trying to see what Fairy Tail pins they had (these were legit; these were the ones packages and distributed by Great Eastern) and looking for a certain one. I was yelled at not to touch and that they were all the same. They definitely were NOT, as I saw Erza and Lucy both on the same hook.

I would personally avoid Too Cool unless you were buying small things like pins and Ramune, maybe even their wall scrolls as well. But I would avoid the other things like the plushies and collectibles. More than likely you'll just be getting a bootleg.


Definitely. For some reason, I had though I mentioned that some of the merch is shady, but apparently I completely forgot to say anything. My wife loves Pokemon plush, and a lot of what they have is... questionable at best. That seems to ring true for several other things, but it's at least a place to check. Definitely gotta keep your eyes open in there, though.

Also, yeah, being such small, not terribly busy stores, they do tend to have that feel like you mentioned in the Gurnee one, like you're always being stared at.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users