Anime Central Forums: Crystal Ball 2014 - Feedback - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Crystal Ball 2014 - Feedback What did you enjoy? What did you dislike? Keep it constructive :)

#1 User is offline   Shellz 

• Panel Programming DH
  • Pip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 61424

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

Hey Everyone,
Walking around and talking to everyone it seemed that everyone enjoyed themselves for the most part. Let us know what you liked and/or what you disliked. Keep in constructive and be nice to each other :) The rest of the topics under Crystal Ball have been closed to keep everything in one place

Shellz
Panel Programming Department Head
Crystal Ball Manager

#2 User is offline   eat_me_for_I_am_peeps 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59774

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

The DJ sucked. I want the dance to be classy and pleasant, not like I'm going to Homecoming.
Need some Rave Gear? I got you! http://kittyandquinn.../kittysravegear

#3 User is offline   digiexpert 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61101

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

View Posteat_me_for_I_am_peeps, on 20 May 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

The DJ sucked. I want the dance to be classy and pleasant, not like I'm going to Homecoming.

I agree, but I don't entirely blame the DJ. I assume the DJ was told the style of event that was being held and made musical choices accordingly.

I have posted a lot of text towards both my complaints and praise for both this year's ball and the last, and I think that the ball could be even better next year than last year by taking the good from both.

For my previous rants, see both the main crystal ball topic (now locked) and the topic on the crystal ball in the Suggestions/Gripes forum.

#4 User is offline   Sailor Luna 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62705

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

The room was good sized . I was really hoping for more slow music or at least more danceable music. There were so many songs that just were not good for any kind of dancing, although I don't know how much was the request list so I"m not sure how that affected it. It just felt more like prom than a real formal dance, which is why I love the Crystal Ball concept it's suppose to be a formal fancy type thing , for people who want all fast , hard pumping music there's a thing for that , it's call the rave and there are TWO dances of that variety. Music volume wise could have been a little quieter as well. I had been hyping it up to my boyfriend since we bought the tickets since I was super excited for it how it was a fun fancy dance and such. We got there late and by that point it was already like a school dance. It was quite jostling for my boyfriend and myself since we were expecting something a lot more relaxed/fancy feel to it .(which was kind of important since his plan was to propose to me at the dance) . The addition of food was a nice touch. I thought the gift bags were cute too. I noticed that they condensed the dance lessons like people had requested from last year.I also didn't ever see the song request thread before the dance, but that's not super important.
2014 Current Cosplay Couple plans:(days depending on photoshoots)
Koto and Yoko from Yu Yu Hakusho
Usagi( Purple anime dress) and Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon
Fluttershy and Big Mac from My Little Pooy
Flareon and Vaporeon ginka from Pokemon

2013 Cosplays :
Erika from Pokemon,: Sailor V and Princess Serenity from Sailor Moon

#5 User is offline   OutworldSorc 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65017

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

I second the comment on the music. I felt like was at work chaperoning one of our school dances. I have to listen to radio music enough when I babysit my students during their dances lol! I was hoping especially after being taught a swing like dance that we might get at least a little big band or jazz to dance to. Heck, I would have even been happier with a few more generic waltzes. I go specifically to ballroom dance each year with my boyfriend. I think we danced 3 times in about 3 hours.

But I don't want to make the people in charge think it was a disaster. I liked the length of the lesson and the atmosphere was very nice. I think whoever did the decorating did a really nice job. Layout was perfect, just the right amount of tables to dance floor. I also liked how quickly they got things organized and settled. I think if organizationally they do things the same for next year that would be great, just make sure the DJ knows he isn't at prom or a particularly low class wedding reception.

I guess I'm mostly disappointed because I went to the effort to request in the forums BEFORE the dance that I would like it to be a bit classier and I feel like that was completely disregarded. Though to be fair, they did play the one specific song I asked for, just not much else in that style. Maybe I should have compiled a complete list for him instead of assuming he'd get the drift. Oops, my bad.

The boy and I will be back again next year because I think the level of organization points upwards. But I really hope the music is classier next year.

#6 User is offline   DJRonnieB 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65484

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

Hi, everyone. Thank you for the feedback... I read through all of it and understand the disappointment some of you had in the music selection. When I was hired as the DJ I sat down with the planners and discussed in detail the type of music to play. I even asked if I should only play ballroom and anime music and the answer I was given was to play a mix of that plus pop and dance music. I was told that the 2013 ball had complaints because the music was too slow which is why I incorporated more pop and dance music rather then playing a lot of slow music.

I also was watching the dance floor and noticed when I played some types of music a lot of people would leave the dance floor so I was playing the music that most people were dancing to. I did play slow music and it seemed like after two slow songs people were sitting back down so then I played some upbeat music and got people out there.

I also made several announcements throughout the dance for requests and I had a lot of requests given to me and I played 99% of the requests that were written down. (And alot of the requests were top 40 songs and club music) To fix this problem in the future I would suggest to the organizers that they promote this forum better and get the word out to guests to put your requests down ahead of time. That way the DJ will know in advance exactly what to play. If I was told not to play a certain style of music I would not have played it, but I was told to play everything from 60s-today's music and to treat it like a wedding reception. I was really trying my best to please everyone, so I apologize to those that were not happy with the music choices.

And for the person who said the volume was too loud, I didn't have much control over that because there was a separate sound booth running the volume and the sound levels.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users