• This topic is locked

2014 Praises

#1 User is offline   code2destroy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 60187

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

Been going to ACen for 10 years. It always has it's ups and downs, unavoidable due to the sheer number of people that attend and the high number of traffic going through. So, until I rule the world and have power to control the populace's every thought and action, I always come to ACen prepared for any eventuality. Be it a deck of cards for a long line wait. A jacket for cold weather. Umbrella for rain. Or a spray bottle for an over-eager con-goer. That said, this convention turned out to be one of the best for me. The first will always go down in history as the best b/c of the newness of the experience. But this one is certainly second. I looked back over this past weekend as to what made this con so fantastic for me. But before I go into those, I want to say thank you to all who worked the con. Your efforts are never in vain and i'm sure the thousands of attendees appreciate you. Your work affects not just us con-goers, but the employees in the Rosemont area and even the surrounding towns that must cater to thousands of hungry and excited guests. So again, THANK YOU! You are one of the many reasons I'm hesitant to move out of the Chicagoland area.

What were the down sides?
Roomed in the Embassy. - hotel closest to convention center and the rooms were nice, possibly the best any hotel has to offer but that was all...
-for nearly $200/night plus parking and paid for wifi, you'd think you'd not be treated like a child
-construction indoors
-second floor blocked off so everyone had to rely on 3 elevators to get out. check out was a nightmare.
-rude staff
Crossing at night --i chose to only cross where there were crossing guards after the following incident
-while trying to cross at river road and brwyn mar to hyatt after sunset...the crossing light stopped working, or delayed. a group of people including myself and some friends sat through 2 red lights until we realized that the crossing light wasn't working. so, when traffic stopped moving, we started to cross. people making a left hand turn at the light (off brwyn and onto river) decided to ignore the 20+ people crossing and stranded us in the middle of traffic. By then, our crossing light started to do the countdown for the time we had to cross. :( it was dangerous and a little scary. I wish there were crossing guards even at the lights. Traffic is going to be crazy at all hours of the day when it's that many people and rude drivers don't really care about con goers.
Dealers room closing at 6-6:30...:(
-sad times. mainly b/c i just love being there and watching people. But I do know that's not really up to ACen and there are plenty of other spots to people watch. It's just that there's so much ACen offers, if you try to do it all, you may not get to burn all the cash you saved (which...could actually be a good thing ;) )

As you can see, not many downsides for me this year. And what is there is not even something ACen can really manage.

So what made ACen great?
Mind you, I don't really do panels. I go to ACen for the community and the random encounters. So all guests can pat themselves on the back for also adding to this ACen's success :)
-Hyatt elevators. IRT you are amazing!!! I remember the first ACen when people kind of dissed IRT and disrespected them. If anyone tries to talk bad about you guys now, i'm shoving a corn husk up their bunghole. It will be awkward for everyone. And it's not just the elevator control you guys do for us...as you will see below.
-line for tickets to Final Fantasy concert. I got in line around 6am. We definitely got a ticket, but IRT still was going up and down reassuring us that we're in the right spot and will get our tickets. It was about a 2 hour wait for the center to open and a bit chilly (it helped that i was in my warmest costume), but IRT went down the line singing random songs to keep our spirits up. I'd have joined in their dance of "Do the Time Warp" if my attack on titan straps weren't slipping.
-Musical guests: though I only saw the final fantasy concert because i didn't know any of the others, after seeing them in the closing ceremonies i really want to know more about the guests ACen had this year. I can tell they were the cream of the crop :).
-Dealers Room: i rarely buy something outside of artist ally because I feel a deluge of dealers selling the same stuff. this year, the dealers room was a lot smaller, BUT with better quality items (several unique shops and many diverse picks). I could browse the entire place twice, consider my options, and then make guilt free choices :). I think I spent more money this ACen than any of my past 9 combined. >_> not sure if that's something to be proud of though...haha! Sorry I didn't buy anything from artist ally this time *gomenosai*. i will make it up to you artists next year!
-photoshoots. I see there was some confusion, but that was largely due to friday's weather i feel...For the ones I attended, than ran smoothly and on time. Everyone was having a lot of fun. I'm sure more people wanted to attend but either got lost, forgot, or was distracted. ACen does tend to make those things happen :)
-the feels. Yes the feels. So much comraderie among the fanbase. I love you all, even if you're screams of excitement wake me up in the middle of my sleep. I'd be out there with you at 4am if i wasn't getting so old.
-the old school cosplayers. finally homestuck and adventure time got ousted. Sure there were a lot of mainstream costumes, but i saw a lot of throwbacks as well. oh the fond memories. I took more pictures this year then the past 3 conventions combined!
-Mitsuwa. ok this last one was my own doing. this was the first ACen i was able to drive to so i had a car and could get around. went to mitsuwa on friday and sunday. i spent more money there than at ACen...all on junk food. ahhh so satisfying. now to save up for next year!

#2 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

You brought up some good points!

Glad you made it out to Mitsuwa! We live so close that we will occasionally go there and stock up on funwariyaki cakes and ramune. I can't imagine how crazy it must get there during ACen though. Hope you had a chance to eat something there or get a bubble tea smoothie. :3

I did like that IRT didn't seem stretched too thin because the DES staff were manning the entrance/exits this time around. That was a good idea.

My complaints are very minor, and overall I think this was the best year so far!

The only major issue we had was the room next to us(we were in one of the tiny King rooms) decided to have a karaoke party at 2AM. I had earplugs in, but they couldn't block out Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. It took two calls to the front desk and a whole hour for security to come out, but by that time they actually disbanded. As a consolation the hotel slipped some coupons for free coffee at Perks under the door. So that helped make up for the lack of sleep.

Also, the exit by the expoteria had a very rude man manning it on Saturday. I politely asked him if the door could be used as an entrance for AA/staff/vendors as I was heading out to a photoshoot, and he blew up on me saying that another AA person gave him a hard time about it and he was going to turn in their badge name and all this ranting at me. I was like whoa dude this is why I asked you instead of just assuming! Calm down! He was pretty testy, but he didn't have to freak out on me for asking. :<

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that the AA layout was perfect! I didn't get lost or turned around, and I could find everything easily. We've already talked about this in another thread, but the smallish rows were due to a miscommunication when the set up. The layout was supposed to be wider aisles. I only got stuck a few times, but I didn't think it was too bad. I really hope they keep it like this from now on.

This post has been edited by JujuFox: 19 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#3 User is offline   ShingekiNoFandoms 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 64955

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Ever since I'd started planning for ACen 2014, I knew it was going to be a good year. And I was right!

Having only gone to ACen twice now for the whole weekend each time, The first thing I noticed was IRT (I didn't even know who they were the first year I went as I didnt seem to see any), and how nice they were! It actually made me want to join IRT when I'm old enough (I don't think they'd let a 17 year old in IRT staff next year, not sure what the age limit is anyway :P/>).

I also liked how it seems that Line-con was eliminated this year Saturday :D/> I'm not sure if it was the amount of attendees or staff or the recent new pre-order rule for 1 day badges, but whatever it was staff members should keep it up! Friends only going Saturday were in before I even got there!

I was excited about the large amount of AA/Dealer space there was this year compared to ACen 2013, my only problem was I got confused where booths I'd passed previously were since this was only my second year. Also, the aisles were very small, but I heard that was a mix up when setting up? Either way, I liked the larger space this year! It was kinda fun getting lost among booths anyway :P/> I was disappointed that the Dealer's room closed so early though. The con center closed before 10 too I believe, which threw me off but it was my first year staying that late too.

The only thing I had problems with was that the signings seemed a bit disorganised. Don't get me wrong, the IRT were all friendly and helpful and tried to keep things in line, but one signing for Josh Grelle I was going to for my friend was cancelled Saturday altogether because of another signing running overtime. It wasn't too big of a deal, but I'd assumed they would deal with it another way then cancelling it altogether I guess. Like I said, not a big deal for me, I don't really go to signings but it was slightly disappointing still.

The only other problem I could think of was that the Attack on Titan photoshoot Saturday was a little out of hand, with people stepping on or dangerously close to our stuff we'd set down to take pictures or for my friend to pose, but I suppose that's more of a problem that should have been taken up with the person running that and not ACen staff in general.

Other than that, I think it was a pretty good year! It was fun and I hope to make ACen an annual tradition for my friends and me! Definitely saving early to get badges for next year when they're cheap!

(Side note: Where do I report bad things happening in hotel rooms? Certain things were happening in a friend's room I kept my things in Friday and I'm not sure if it's even worth reporting at this point but if it's still something I can talk to a staffer about I'd like to.)

This post has been edited by ShingekiNoFandoms: 19 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

ACen '15 plans: Squid Girl, Sasha Braus (SnK), possibly Kaneki Ken (Tokyo Ghoul)
ACen '14: Hanji Zoe (SnK), Terezi Pyrope (Homestuck), Horsehead!Jean Kirschtein (SnK)
ACen '13: Seborga (Hetalia), Chibitalia/Neko!Chibitalia (Hetalia)
Other cons- Anime World Chicago '12: (n00b cosplay that shall not be mentioned)

#4 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Definitely my best ACen yet!

-Vendors/Artists Alley space was way better than last year's (thank goodness we're back in whatever hall that is!) I really liked the setup in AA; very easy to navigate. Some AA aisles got a bit cramped, but even then the bottlenecking wasn't anywhere near as bad as 2013, so yay on that.
-All the IRT I encountered were really friendly. One in particular stands out - he didn't know the answer to a question I had, but knew where to direct me to find the answer, and he was very nice about it. I really appreciated getting that response instead of a surly "I don't know" or a made-up answer.
-Line management seemed better this year. I didn't end up going to a lot of panels/viewings, but for the ones that I did go to, the time limit on forming a line was enforced - they told us when we could begin to form a line, and then directed the line so that it wasn't blocking traffic. I liked how orderly it was. I wish every line could be handled like that!

#5 User is offline   code2destroy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60187

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 19 May 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

You brought up some good points!Glad you made it out to Mitsuwa! We live so close that we will occasionally go there and stock up on funwariyaki cakes and ramune. I can't imagine how crazy it must get there during ACen though. Hope you had a chance to eat something there or get a bubble tea smoothie. :3 I did like that IRT didn't seem stretched too thin because the DES staff were manning the entrance/exits this time around. That was a good idea. My complaints are very minor, and overall I think this was the best year so far!The only major issue we had was the room next to us(we were in one of the tiny King rooms) decided to have a karaoke party at 2AM. I had earplugs in, but they couldn't block out Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. It took two calls to the front desk and a whole hour for security to come out, but by that time they actually disbanded. As a consolation the hotel slipped some coupons for free coffee at Perks under the door. So that helped make up for the lack of sleep.Also, the exit by the expoteria had a very rude man manning it on Saturday. I politely asked him if the door could be used as an entrance for AA/staff/vendors as I was heading out to a photoshoot, and he blew up on me saying that another AA person gave him a hard time about it and he was going to turn in their badge name and all this ranting at me. I was like whoa dude this is why I asked you instead of just assuming! Calm down! He was pretty testy, but he didn't have to freak out on me for asking. :<EDIT:Forgot to mention that the AA layout was perfect! I didn't get lost or turned around, and I could find everything easily. We've already talked about this in another thread, but the smallish rows were due to a miscommunication when the set up. The layout was supposed to be wider aisles. I only got stuck a few times, but I didn't think it was too bad. I really hope they keep it like this from now on.

I did not get a chance at the bubble tea. i actually forgot :(/>. i had an icecream smoothie from the place next to the burger place. mMMmm mango. it was soo crowded sunday some of the stores had to stop taking orders to catch up. :D/> post-ACen crowding affects all the way up to arlington heights. i will be back though. for that crab burger and the bubble tea smoothie! and more melon-pan....

i did notice that it wasn't IRT at panel entrances. I kept staring at the people like "who are you?". but it was definitely a good idea and one i hope repeats itself in acens to come.

I also noticed AA was harder to get through. by that i meant very crowded. but it's a given when people are stopping to view the pictures thoroughly. i'm guilty of blocking aisles and gawking u_u...i hope they keep the same layout but get the aisles wider. don't want to discourage the passerbys ^^.

rotfl about Perks coupons!

View PostShingekiNoFandoms, on 19 May 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

The only other problem I could think of was that the Attack on Titan photoshoot Saturday was a little out of hand, with people stepping on or dangerously close to our stuff we'd set down to take pictures or for my friend to pose, but I suppose that's more of a problem that should have been taken up with the person running that and not ACen staff in general.Other than that, I think it was a pretty good year! It was fun and I hope to make ACen an annual tradition for my friends and me! Definitely saving early to get badges for next year when they're cheap! (Side note: Where do I report bad things happening in hotel rooms? Certain things were happening in a friend's room I kept my things in Friday and I'm not sure if it's even worth reporting at this point but if it's still something I can talk to a staffer about I'd like to.)

I was a cleaning Levi in the AoT shoot and i do agree that it was a too crowded for the area. but it seams we actually had two loading dock spaces to use. for some reason, the one running it didn't use both spaces or didn't know. that extra space would have really helped the photographers. i was stuck getting only one angle (the side no one was facing) for most of the photos :(/>. ah well, like you said, not a problem from the ACen staff. besides, who knew there would be THAT many AoT cosplayers :)/> it's one of the things that made me VERY happy. normally i don't like seeing too much of one show/manga but something like AoT makes it feel like an army is invading ^^. i even got randomly saluted while chilling with a friend.

I forgot to mention how much I loved the closing ceremonies. i'd never been to them before, but will certainly be there for acens to come. i wanted to make opening, but was up until 3am the night before finishing a costume. then i had to stop at menards to buy an inflatable mattress since Embassy doesn't have cots. "fire hazard". but blocking two exits isn't? >_> again i will be making an official complaint to embassy.

if you want to make a complaint about hotel service, it is best to do it asap (can't do it there anymore) but can still call the 800 number and say which location you have a complaint about. in the end, it may depend on what you're complaining about. if it's guests doing something they shouldn't be doing, you should call security then and there. not much they can do about it now unless you have names and stuff. even then, the best they could probably do is put the person on notice/issue a warning. they may keep an eye out on them during their next check in if it's something REALLLY bad.

So many KUDOS to the ACen staff for keeping thousands of unruly fans in order ^^. there will always be sirens and foolishness, but most instances were so isolated, I won't even know about them until after the convention. Keep up the good work. A large part of your success is that you learn from each convention and improve upon it <3

#6 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

...Honestly people complaining about the dealer room closing when it does make me sad. The dealers and artists want to get out of their booths and enjoy the convention too!
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#7 User is offline   Traken 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61257

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 19 May 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

...Honestly people complaining about the dealer room closing when it does make me sad. The dealers and artists want to get out of their booths and enjoy the convention too!

Amen, Reverend!

#8 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 19 May 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

Pssssh, we all know you guys aren't real people. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Sapphy: 19 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

Visit Happy Hatpire Designs on Etsy: http://hatpire.etsy.com
Tumblr: http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Happy Hatpire Designs will be at Anime Central and Anime Midwest in 2015!

#9 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostSapphy, on 19 May 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

Pssssh, we all know you guys aren't real people. Posted Image

haha I'm actually not even a dealer or artist. I just have a fair amount of friends who are and I'm sure staying cooped up like that any longer than they do would be maddening
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#10 User is offline   CupcakeChaos13 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62603

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 19 May 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

Also, the exit by the expoteria had a very rude man manning it on Saturday. I politely asked him if the door could be used as an entrance for AA/staff/vendors as I was heading out to a photoshoot, and he blew up on me saying that another AA person gave him a hard time about it and he was going to turn in their badge name and all this ranting at me. I was like whoa dude this is why I asked you instead of just assuming! Calm down! He was pretty testy, but he didn't have to freak out on me for asking. :<

Yea! I had a bad encounter with that guy too. I was carrying stuffed bags back and forth for reg and I asked him if I could just go in and out a couple times since the boxes were heavy and reg was like right next to that door. He yelled at me and said "why didn't you get the hundreds of emails saying this was an exit only. i don't know who is telling you this was okay but you're like the hundredth person to say this. it's an exit only can you not read." yadda yadda. i didn't get into it with him but i just thought well gee no i didn't get emails about this and if tons of staff and vendors are trying to get in that way someone obviously somewhere said it was okay. it wasn't a busy time too. i think it was the end of the night and a couple people were walking out at the time, not the busy stream. okay that's cool i'm fine with it being exit only but this man was very mad and yelling. a simple sorry exit only would have been fine.
ACen 2015 Cosplay:
Stocking
(maybe) Sailor Moon

#11 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

This year was fantastic and for the first time I got to have the full con experience.
people were polite, the IRT did amazing at their job so kudos to them, and the exhibit hall/artist alley were jam packed with a lot of diversity and good quality stuff.
the only thing I regret was not going to enough panels and main events but my legs hurt so badly I had to take long breaks :C but I am definitely gonna do so much more at ACen next year!
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

#12 User is offline   randy r 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 523

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

View Postcode2destroy, on 19 May 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

snip

What were the down sides?
Roomed in the Embassy. - hotel closest to convention center and the rooms were nice, possibly the best any hotel has to offer but that was all...
-for nearly $200/night plus parking and paid for wifi, you'd think you'd not be treated like a child
-construction indoors
-second floor blocked off so everyone had to rely on 3 elevators to get out. check out was a nightmare.
-rude staff

snip

My experience at the Embassy was the opposite. Everything for me went marvelously there. Easy check in. Express checkout. Extra coffee and tea when I asked for it.

This post has been edited by randy r: 23 May 2014 - 06:32 AM

randy

What, me worry?- Alfred E. Newman

#13 User is offline   Shiggitay 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60878

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

This year marked my third ACen, and I too noticed that the crowd control was MUCHHH better than 2013, and even compared to my first year back in 2012. I think this year also made it my 15th+ con overall. So much fun. I was also pleased that due to the heightened attendance this year, the actual convention center was used, and not just the Hyatt and other hotels around the RCC (Rosemont Convention Center). It finally felt like a full convention experience for me, given I also attend Anime Boston and Otakon each year as well, and they use their convention centers to the fullest. I loved being able to attend not one, but TWO concerts, on the same night! Sure AB and Otakon have two concerts a weekend, but they're on different nights. So cool for me to have that rush of two within hours of each other! ^.^

Now that the good things were mentioned, I'd like to mention some annoyances I dealt with, and they're all regarding the Hyatt. I don't know how many of you are members of the "Anime Central" and "ACen" FaceBook groups, but I detailed this quite a bit there. I'll try and summarize what I want to say. Basically the Hyatt, due to the influx of people this year, was overloaded and a lot of ACen attendees were acting a fool or so I hear. My group had our room in the Executive Wing, room 2816, and others in the same tower/area were supposedly running up and down the halls late at night and after the 'quiet curfew' of 10pm playing loud music, and even some were playing cards super loudly by the elevator lobbies on some floors. I've also heard rumors of ravers putting dead/used up glow sticks into Hyatt floor lobby microwaves to try and make them light up again, causing an explosion of microwave door and glow stick remains all over the respective area. This is all rumored, but I believe that this could have happened. My group and I were playing Cards Against Humanity. We had a few loud bursts of laughter, and at 10:03pm Saturday night, we get a knock on our door. I look through the peephole or w/e it's called on the door and I see what looked to be cops or security officers. I think I remember the uniform having a sash or patch or something saying "Rosemont Auxillary Patrol" or something like that. Anyway, they knock on the door, I answer, and they say that they'd received a noise complaint. Really? At 10:03? When others are noisier than us? I was told that if another one was filed that myself and my party would be kicked out of the Hyatt entirely. I think that's a bit harsh. This is why I'm not rooming in the Hyatt again for ACen 18 (2015) if I can help it. This may sound contradictory, but I did book something at the Hyatt... FOR THE TIME BEING until the DoubleTree opens up the dates for ACen next year.

Oh and one last thing. Another thing that disappointed me was that the game room was coin-op. The 'arcade' to be exact. Sure it gave it a more authentic feel, but I had to leech/mooch on my roommate and her brother for quarters when playing DDR... and I'd not played DDR in ages... I didn't feel like take out $20 from the bank only for DDR... and I wanted to get back into it.. Oh well...

TL;DR version: minor annoyances with hotel ops, and annoying people here and there, but overall a great con experience this year. ACen 18 (2015), BRING IT ON!!

This post has been edited by Shiggitay: 30 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

Anime fo lyfe!

Representin' Anime Boston 2015, ACen 2015 and Otakon 2015!!

-----------------------------Help me out if you can! And please share those links around! Arigatou!!---------------------------
Buy Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd [Famitsu DX Pack] (Japan Version) for PlayStation 3 (PS3)>

Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd | Buy Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd (Japan Version) for PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita)>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users