• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2014 Feedback

#1 User is offline   Shattered-Earth 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62903

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

Just wanted to post some feedback I had for the artist alley this year before i forgot them in my rush to prepare for fanime this coming weekend!

If you would like to leave feedback for the staff please remember to fill out the survey! http://www.ACen.org/...hibiting-survey

Of course we can chit chat about things here too but the most helpful way to getting our feedback address is through the survey!!!

Pros: Staff visibly trying to speed along registration, helping people in line before they got to the single front desk making use of the people they had that way
Over all positive experience despite minor hiccups.

Cons/Suggestions: Would love if staff could utilize their great PA system more, specifically to announce when the alley was about to close (1 hr, 30 min, 15 min, 5 min and closure is good) so customers know when they have to leave and so artists aren't second guessing when they close. Also would be REALLY NICE if they could periodically announce that photos are NOT ALLOWED and that they need to ask permission of the artist/dealers before snapping photos. Anime Boston, Sakuracon, Fanime and others do this and it has dramatically cut down on the number of attendees that try to either sneak a photo or outright take photos as if they were entitled to.

And was it just me or was the AC blasted way too high on friday? My prints were basically flying away and I had to tape pipes and other objects to them as well as over load on tape on friday and saturday to keep my display okay D:! I think i was right under a vent but still quite unpleasant and i almost turned into a popsicle XD

Is there a good way to reach staff during the convention for issues btw? Like if another artist was causing a disturbance (yelling at attendees, grabbing them from other tables etc.) what should be the best course of action to get that mediated/discussed by staff?

This post has been edited by Shattered-Earth: 19 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

#2 User is offline   Kikai 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60168

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:33 AM

Yeah you know, the only major problem I had this year was the PA system not saying "we will be closing in thirty minutes" etc. Friday there was good announcements about it, but not after. Also, was it just me or were hours not posted anywhere? :( I kept referring back to the movie in packet but it seemed to imply that we opened at 9:00, not 10:00...and in years past the AA has always closed around thirty minutes to an hour after the dealers to get that traffic coming back from the dealers and get a couple more sales. That was always nice.

Otherwise, staff was really speedy at getting me my badge! I had class and wasn't able to set up Thursday so I was a bit worried I would have to wait a long time Friday, so thank you staff for helping out! :)

#3 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostKikai, on 19 May 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

Also, was it just me or were hours not posted anywhere? :(/>

The hours were posted on the fabulous entrance arch (seriously, I thought that thing was positively amazing), in our initial RES packet, and then again in the little AA packet in the envelope. They were also listed in the guidebook app (though not particularly clearly), and probably somewhere in the big paper booklet, though I'm not remembering where. After you got inside the Artist/Dealer area, though, no, there weren't any reminders.

Closing announcements would have been good, I agree, though I did appreciate the dimming lights to emphasize the point. That was a nice touch.

I think my main gripe this year was the blasting techno music from the exhibitors booths. There was one by the bathrooms, and one right at the end of my row, and they were both really, really loud. I have a couple sets of earplugs I wear for being in loud places like this, and the music overwhelmed even the "heavy duty" ones...

Otherwise a really positive experience this year. My group got checked in quickly, and found our table with no problem. We also appreciated the increased IRT patrols and Rosemont staff checking badges.

#4 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Pretty good. Got a little tight in some of the lanes, especially when a group decided to start hanging around a spot.

#5 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

I completely agree about the PA system. I swear I remember there being closure notice announcements like that in the past. On the other hand, when they did actually announce that the Exhibit Hall was closed, it was very loud and clear.

I liked that the "No photos of artwork without permission" signs were there, but I agree that an occasional announcement would have been nice. I didn't have too much trouble with that this year, but I know others did. On the same lines, posting signs/making announcements to remind people to not block the tables or loiter in the middle of the aisles might be helpful, too.

I also loved that checking in was so easy and quick. My group was running a bit late that morning and I was worried about being able to set up in time, but I was pleased to see a super short line and waited to check-in for less than 2 minutes since the wonderful staffer went back and grabbed my badges while I was in line. Thank you!

Another con: I hated that the doors by the restaurant were exit-only. I understand WHY, but it made things more burdensome having to walk all the way around the convention center with our stuff and delayed artists and vendors from getting back to their booths in a timely manner. Setup/teardown on Friday/Sunday was OK since the loading doors were open, but every time in between was a problem. Maybe in the future an exception for artists and vendors can be made?
My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Friday: Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Saturday: Leafeon Gijinka - Pokemon
Sunday: Kotoha - Arata Kangatari

#6 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

Thank you very much for your feedback. Please also don't forget to complete the Feedback Survey for the Exhibition Space at Anime Central 2014. It helps us gain a larger picture of what happened at the event, and allows us to target areas impacting the majority of Artists, and assess how we can improve those areas. I hope all of you had a great time, and I hope we can do better next time. Posted Image

http://www.ACen.org/...hibiting-survey
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#7 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

I loved the positioning of the Alley this year! Having it right between the industry booths and the rest of the dealer's hall was a wonderful idea. As an attendee though, I have one major complaint:

The aisles were really, really close together. I understand that they wanted to put as many tables in as possible, but walking through the Alley was a bit of a nightmare (and terrible on my claustrophobia). In previous years, there was enough space to really let me pause and look at a booth's work--but this year it felt like if I ever stopped, I was immediately blocking traffic. It seemed needlessly clogged, too, because there was a lot of unused space in the entire hall. There was a bunch of empty space to the right of the Alley (as you entered) as well of before the "badge-only" area of the hall.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#8 User is offline   Kikai 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60168

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostTokoz, on 19 May 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

The hours were posted on the fabulous entrance arch (seriously, I thought that thing was positively amazing), in our initial RES packet, and then again in the little AA packet in the envelope. They were also listed in the guidebook app (though not particularly clearly), and probably somewhere in the big paper booklet, though I'm not remembering where. After you got inside the Artist/Dealer area, though, no, there weren't any reminders.

I meant on the website specifically. Every other con is like 'THIS IS WHEN WE ARE OPENING, ETC' on the artist alley page on the site. Like I said above, the packet said move in times ended after 9:00AM, implying that we opened at 9:00AM, which wasn't true. I only found out later because there was a sign at the con that said it was 10:00AM. Seriously ACen, just have a page that lists the hours on the website. It's MUCH easier!

#9 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostSapphy, on 19 May 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

I loved the positioning of the Alley this year! Having it right between the industry booths and the rest of the dealer's hall was a wonderful idea. As an attendee though, I have one major complaint:

The aisles were really, really close together. I understand that they wanted to put as many tables in as possible, but walking through the Alley was a bit of a nightmare (and terrible on my claustrophobia). In previous years, there was enough space to really let me pause and look at a booth's work--but this year it felt like if I ever stopped, I was immediately blocking traffic. It seemed needlessly clogged, too, because there was a lot of unused space in the entire hall. There was a bunch of empty space to the right of the Alley (as you entered) as well of before the "badge-only" area of the hall.

We agree 110%!!! We submitted the layout so our attendees with special needs could maneuver around the isles with comfort, but by the time the issue was brought to the union's attention, it was too late to fix it. We really wish something could have been done to make it more like the layout we submitted to the venue, but that wasn't possible by that time.

View PostKikai, on 19 May 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

I meant on the website specifically. Every other con is like 'THIS IS WHEN WE ARE OPENING, ETC' on the artist alley page on the site. Like I said above, the packet said move in times ended after 9:00AM, implying that we opened at 9:00AM, which wasn't true. I only found out later because there was a sign at the con that said it was 10:00AM. Seriously ACen, just have a page that lists the hours on the website. It's MUCH easier!

You are right, that is an area we can improve on, and will work to do so moving forward.
The lead Artist was sent an email regarding show hours and move-in/out hours as well as information on how to order electricity. So you may want to check with them to see why they didn't communicate that to you. :( So they don't try and wiggle out of it, we sent them this link to make things easier for them. http://www.ACen.org/...sition-services
Please also remind them to complete the Exhibit Space survey they received an email about, so we can make sure all the comments are taken into consideration for next year. :)

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#10 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

I would really like to keep helping out with feedback at the moment, but my computer is literally dieing in my lap. I lost my power cord, so I have been working like a mad man to get the survey online for you (instead of my MBA homework). So please, please, please let us know via the survey so we can get the biggest picture possible. :) Thank you everyone, I should be online as soon as I find my power cord, or if I can get my phone to connect again (dropped it a bunch of times at con :( )

#11 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostKikai, on 19 May 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

I did find it confusing that it said the setup hours were from 8 - 9 on the packet, but I think I understand why.

Over the years I've noticed that the exhibit hall has pushed for a higher level of professionalism amongst the vendors and artists. Having empty or closed tables/booths when the hall first opens isn't good for attendees who come in first thing in the morning, and it makes us all look bad. So by saying we want you set up by 9 AM it pushes people to get in there well before 10 AM to set up each day. There are always going to be a few outlying circumstances that prevent people from arriving on time, but if the vast majority of us are set up by 9 AM it would help maintain that professional look. From what I saw in the Alley pretty much everyone was ready to go at 10 AM.

This year may have been the best that the hall has ever been. From what I observed at my table and perusing the rest of the hall it was top notch. Props to everyone who made it possible!
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#12 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on 19 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

We agree 110%!!! We submitted the layout so our attendees with special needs could maneuver around the isles with comfort, but by the time the issue was brought to the union's attention, it was too late to fix it. We really wish something could have been done to make it more like the layout we submitted to the venue, but that wasn't possible by that time.

This is great to hear! I did really dig the layout otherwise, though--having full rows instead of the weird island things from previous years made it a lot easier to navigate (and to remember where a specific booth was). Space issues aside though, it was really great to see the exhibit hall back in the big room!
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#13 User is offline   Shattered-Earth 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62903

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on 19 May 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

Thank you very much for your feedback. Please also don't forget to complete the Feedback Survey for the Exhibition Space at Anime Central 2014. It helps us gain a larger picture of what happened at the event, and allows us to target areas impacting the majority of Artists, and assess how we can improve those areas. I hope all of you had a great time, and I hope we can do better next time. Posted Image

Just filled it out myself and editted the first post to reflect the importance of the survey, sorry about that :)

Glad to hear the narrow aisles were not on purpose though oh boy

#14 User is offline   Heathery 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60106

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostSapphy, on 19 May 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

This is great to hear! I did really dig the layout otherwise, though--having full rows instead of the weird island things from previous years made it a lot easier to navigate (and to remember where a specific booth was). Space issues aside though, it was really great to see the exhibit hall back in the big room!

I can agree with this! Loved being in the larger room--it was MUCH easier to navigate compared to last year's con.

#15 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

Question, and I'm coming from a customer's prospective, when I was going through the alley at some points it was very hard to get through because you had two lines of people (one coming right one coming left) as well as people stopping to buy. Was it difficult for the artists to sell their ware due to the congestions of the lines? Because I was wondering why there couldn't be one way only traffic, sort of like a parking lot, that would allow people to snake through the alley? Could that be helpful with the congestion?

@Voltaire30: Can a consumer fill out the survey by chance, or is that only for the artist in the alley?

This post has been edited by Dark Spellmaster: 19 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#16 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 19 May 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

Question, and I'm coming from a customer's prospective, when I was going through the alley at some points it was very hard to get through because you had two lines of people (one coming right one coming left) as well as people stopping to buy. Was it difficult for the artists to sell their ware due to the congestions of the lines? Because I was wondering why there couldn't be one way only traffic, sort of like a parking lot, that would allow people to snake through the alley? Could that be helpful with the congestion?

@Voltaire30: Can a consumer fill out the survey by chance, or is that only for the artist in the alley?

Yay I just bought a new charger :)

This survey is primarily for Artists and Vendors. I know the Attendee survey should be out shortly though. :)

#17 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostShattered-Earth, on 19 May 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:

Cons/Suggestions: Would love if staff could utilize their great PA system more, specifically to announce when the alley was about to close (1 hr, 30 min, 15 min, 5 min and closure is good) so customers know when they have to leave and so artists aren't second guessing when they close. Also would be REALLY NICE if they could periodically announce that photos are NOT ALLOWED and that they need to ask permission of the artist/dealers before snapping photos. Anime Boston, Sakuracon, Fanime and others do this and it has dramatically cut down on the number of attendees that try to either sneak a photo or outright take photos as if they were entitled to.

And was it just me or was the AC blasted way too high on friday? My prints were basically flying away and I had to tape pipes and other objects to them as well as over load on tape on friday and saturday to keep my display okay D:! I think i was right under a vent but still quite unpleasant and i almost turned into a popsicle XD

Is there a good way to reach staff during the convention for issues btw? Like if another artist was causing a disturbance (yelling at attendees, grabbing them from other tables etc.) what should be the best course of action to get that mediated/discussed by staff?

View PostKikai, on 19 May 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

Yeah you know, the only major problem I had this year was the PA system not saying "we will be closing in thirty minutes" etc. Friday there was good announcements about it, but not after. Also, was it just me or were hours not posted anywhere? Posted Image I kept referring back to the movie in packet but it seemed to imply that we opened at 9:00, not 10:00...and in years past the AA has always closed around thirty minutes to an hour after the dealers to get that traffic coming back from the dealers and get a couple more sales.

View PostTokoz, on 19 May 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Closing announcements would have been good, I agree, though I did appreciate the dimming lights to emphasize the point. That was a nice touch.

I think my main gripe this year was the blasting techno music from the exhibitors booths. There was one by the bathrooms, and one right at the end of my row, and they were both really, really loud. I have a couple sets of earplugs I wear for being in loud places like this, and the music overwhelmed even the "heavy duty" ones...

View Postranefea, on 19 May 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

I completely agree about the PA system. I swear I remember there being closure notice announcements like that in the past. On the other hand, when they did actually announce that the Exhibit Hall was closed, it was very loud and clear.

I liked that the "No photos of artwork without permission" signs were there, but I agree that an occasional announcement would have been nice. I didn't have too much trouble with that this year, but I know others did. On the same lines, posting signs/making announcements to remind people to not block the tables or loiter in the middle of the aisles might be helpful, too.

Another con: I hated that the doors by the restaurant were exit-only. I understand WHY, but it made things more burdensome having to walk all the way around the convention center with our stuff and delayed artists and vendors from getting back to their booths in a timely manner. Setup/teardown on Friday/Sunday was OK since the loading doors were open, but every time in between was a problem. Maybe in the future an exception for artists and vendors can be made?

Yeah, the PA System is something we have to work on. I was one of the primary people using the PA System, and I got pulled in a lot of different directions all the time. After a while, we had someone who was able to fill in for me, but it would be better if we could have a system set-up that would announce times without needing staff intervention to announce.

The AC was actually off on Thursday and Friday. :( They had the fans running, and it was pulling in cold air like a wind tunnel. Which was great, if you weren't near one of the vents. Sorry :( That is something we can bring up to the venue next year.

For contacting staff, there was a number in the move-in packet that you could have txted if you weren't able to leave your table. Unfortunately, if didn't work as well as it could have. I am thinking about getting it printed on the folders instead of in the packet inside of the folders.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users