• This topic is locked

Impressions after day 1

#1 User is offline   randy r 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 523

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

Greetings. Just some general impressions from day 1.

First thing is this- Where the hell has the big map/foldout been all these years? That has to be one of the BEST things I think ACen has done to make the con more accessible and fun. Open it and get a map of the exhibit/ artist alley layouts. Unfold it some more, and get a map of the whole convention area. Unfold it all of the way, and get the schedule and location for ALL of the panels, concerts, and signings. This has made it easy to see what is happening when and where. It also makes it easy to see if what you want to see is going to conflict with anything else you want to do.

One thing I am neutral on is line policy/entrance to panels. I have seen some good, some bad so far.. The good- the lines for signings and the Angela concert. These were handled well, with lines not being allowed to start forming until the time they had said. The neutral- several of the panels I went to didn't allow entrance into the room until after the start time of the panel, so the panelist didn't get their whole hour. The ugly- Anime Hell. I was told by IRT that the line would NOT start forming until 9:30. I arrive at 9:15, and they tell me that the line for Anime Hell is full, and I would have to wait until 10:00 to see if there was any room left. Luckily, I was able to get in, so some people will think I shouldn't be bitching. I just think all of the lines should be handled the same. So far, I am more positive than negative on this.

One other good thing is that there appears to be more room in the industry partners/ exhibit hall. I don't feel as boxed in as in past years, with more room for moving, which is good for me since I found I have a type of osteoarthritis that can make moving around a little tough. I do have one complaint, though. The north end of Artist Alley and the Exhibit Hall, especially around Kinokuniya and the snack area are so tight that there were bottlenecks forming there, making travel through there rough, or at times, non existent, if people stopped to talk or take pictures. The only option was to backtrack and catch one of the cross aisles, or go clear to the south end, which didn't seem to have that problem.

Well, these are my thoughts after day one. So far the con overall has been a success for me, as I got to see both concerts I wanted to, with one more to go.
randy

What, me worry?- Alfred E. Newman

#2 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

So far I'm pretty happy.

The Good:
-Exhibit Hall is excellent as always and the new Industry area is nice.
-The game rooms are well organized, well stocked, overall well run. Also glad to have it back in the Hyatt.
-Most of the panels we went to were funny and/or informative, notably the Turn Based Critics Survival Horror Panel

The Bad:
-Still don't like that you can't enter the Exhibit Hall through the Expoteria. I understand the reasons it's just a minor complaint of it taking longer to get there
-Not all panels were good. The "Who"s Smut is it Anyway?" panel stands out. We were there for the first half hour of the panel and the panelists had done literally nothing but sit there and make jokes to each other and did nothing else so we walked out. I know it's a late night panel but they need to get their stuff together.

Overall I am pleased and look forward to day 2.
All systems... GO!

#3 User is offline   wolverine33 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 582

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Where was the Game Room before if it wasn't at the Hyatt?

I do agree with you randy r. they need to get their times in order.
Later B)

#4 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

As I said to at least one person, "No plan survives contact with the enemy. Or your own troops." I know that not everything goes Just As Planned. I understand that regardless of how much preparation and money are invested, there will be problems.

So yeah, there were a lot of lines for events. Some seemed to intersect and even blend with each other. I sometimes had trouble figuring out where they ended. I got into every panel that I waited for, but I was rather worried at times.

Getting around was sometimes a challenge. It's not easy to politely walk through a crowd, especially if I'm also distracted by costumes or items in dealers room / artist alley. As for navigating the con... I got my exercise. Tried to remind myself about exit-only doors, but even then, I made a few wrong turns.

I'd say it was a good weekend. I enjoyed the discussions, and had few problems talking with fellow fans about what they enjoyed. Despite my complaints, it was worth my time and effort.

#5 User is offline   randy r 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 523

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

View Postwolverine33, on 17 May 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

Where was the Game Room before if it wasn't at the Hyatt?

I do agree with you randy r. they need to get their times in order.
Later B)/>

Last year all of the gaming except for the Battletech pods were located in the Hilton. I only went over there once last year, as it was so awkward to find and was really out of the way.
randy

What, me worry?- Alfred E. Newman

#6 User is offline   Jnkolm 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 6308

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 17 May 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

The Bad:
-Not all panels were good. The "Who"s Smut is it Anyway?" panel stands out. We were there for the first half hour of the panel and the panelists had done literally nothing but sit there and make jokes to each other and did nothing else so we walked out. I know it's a late night panel but they need to get their stuff together.

I was curious about this, as they had the same behavior last year though I did not catch them this year. I try not to dig at other panelists (even if it is for a panel a bit similar to my own), but I can vouch that I had the same thought as you before about the 'stuff' and the getting of it together. I came in late last year and asked the people I sat around what they were playing- which met a response of "We don't know" so I then asked if the show had even started at all- another "I don't know." The panelists then stopped chit-chatting long enough to say that the game was over (My neighbor commented "apparently they WERE doing something") then announced another game before chit-chatting with each other another 10 minutes- none of us knew if they had actually started or what- and then announced that this game was now also over.

I commend you for staying 30 minutes. I made it through about 20 minutes last year and 5 of that was me waiting for the line of people attempting to leave the room to clear up.

Otherwise I have no real contribution to this thread. Nobody hassled me or anything and I had a great show of my own so yea. My only shame is I didn't get the name of the young lady watching panel room 7 during both Whose Line shows as she was quite pleasant to have as a Panel room staffer....or whatever such a thing would be called. A fine time, all around.
Whose Line is it Anime? America's favorite tradition since we started saying it is.
Insert Witty Title Here is where we are. I dare you to find us

Whose Line is it Anime? We do the things you like. All of them.

Insert Witty Title Here! Our parents say we're awesome! In private.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users