Anime Central Forums: E-cigs and Vaporizer - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E-cigs and Vaporizer Whats the policy with these?

#1 User is offline   Naoya Toudou 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 17652

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

Whats the policy with E-cigs and Vaoprizers in the convention? are they allowed in the halls? the panels? questions arise especially when certain panels are so closely compacted that something along those lines can tend to be quite obnoxious.

#2 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

I hope that people are considerate of others and "smoke" them in the designated areas.

There isn't much regulation for them right now.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#3 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

yahhh. just because you view it as "not a cig" doesn't mean others don't. and no one wants to walk into that vapor cloud or have it in their face and hear that annoying sentence "its just vapor!"
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#4 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostNaoya Toudou, on 13 May 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

Whats the policy with E-cigs and Vaoprizers in the convention? are they allowed in the halls? the panels? questions arise especially when certain panels are so closely compacted that something along those lines can tend to be quite obnoxious.

I was at another convention at the Rosemont late last year, and they had to ban e-cigs from the small panel rooms because the vapor was confusing the smoke detectors. I think keeping e-cigs in regular cigarette zones would probably be for the best. :/

#5 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

I'm still waiting for official word on the hotel & convention center's policy for this, as I did get a question about it via email.

But unofficially, as an asthmatic who is extremely sensitive to smoke and scents, I ask that you PLEASE take those outside to the designated smoking areas. I know it's supposed to be just "water vapor" but I have found when people smoke it near me, my asthma acts up. We just got a smoke free corridor in front last year, I really don't want to go back to not being able to breathe during the con. :(

(srsly - my asthma sucks, I've gotten short of breath just standing a few feet from someone who reeked of smoke. And I can't go within 10 feet of a perfume counter in a store without wheezing.)
Special Needs and Compliance staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
ACen 2015: Kumon Kaito (Kamen Rider Gaim), Ian Yorkland (Kyoryuger, Rowdy Roddy Piper
Wizard World 2015 (big maybe): Jemma Simmons
Youmacon 2015: Nightcrawler (tentative), Ian Yorkland

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My cosplay / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#6 User is offline   Bones 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 16992

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

View PostNaoya Toudou, on 13 May 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

Smoking policy to the best of my knowledge is as follows:

Smoking is prohibited by law in any indoor convention space and within 25 feet of any building
entrance. Smoking is also prohibited in lines that are outside, as that may affect nearby
attendees with asthma. Anime Central considers vaping, e-cigarettes, hookahs, and similar
contrivances to fall under this restriction as well.

There are several designated smoking areas around the convention:
• On one side of the horseshoe driveway outside of the convention center lobby
• On one side of the driveway outside of the main entrance to the Hyatt
• Outside of the back of the lower dome
• On the balcony at the back of the upper dome (traditionally reserved for staff, but not restricted)

Note: Hookahs are allowed anywhere that smoking is allowed; illegal drugs being smoked, obviously, are disallowed.

Hope this helps clarify things for everyone.

This post has been edited by Bones: 15 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

Callsign: "Bones" (Formerly "Ginkan")
IRT Rules Enforcement[Hotel] Mid Shift Team Lead '13,'14
IRT Rules Enforcement[Hotel] Night Shift Supervisor '11
IRT Day Shift Dispatcher[ConCenter] '09,'10

"Only in death does duty end."

#7 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

Actually - per the Hyatt, there is NO smoking in the driveway outside of the main entrance. They have put up no smoking signs to that effect all around that area and signs pointing to the only designated smoking area - the back door by the flagpole.
Special Needs and Compliance staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
ACen 2015: Kumon Kaito (Kamen Rider Gaim), Ian Yorkland (Kyoryuger, Rowdy Roddy Piper
Wizard World 2015 (big maybe): Jemma Simmons
Youmacon 2015: Nightcrawler (tentative), Ian Yorkland

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My cosplay / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#8 User is offline   Mjolnir 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65387

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

Bones is correct; the training in IRT explicitly covered e-cigs and even though it is vapor, the particulates could still cause unwanted effects to those with asthma.
ACen Attendee - '12, '13
ACen IRT - '14 (ADVENT)

#9 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

I saw someone vaping in the carpeted Industry section. Is that also not allowed in the convention center? Should I have reported him to IRT?
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#10 User is offline   Brayance 

• IRT Operative
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59805

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 20 May 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

I saw someone vaping in the carpeted Industry section. Is that also not allowed in the convention center? Should I have reported him to IRT?

Correct, to my knowledge vaping in the convention center was also not allowed. As the 2014 con is over, it is a little too late to do anything now, but in the future, feel free to contact anyone in an IRT vest if you are ever confused or concerned about such policies. :)/>
ATHENA
IRT

IRT Staff experience:
2011 - ConCenter Days Operative
2012 - Hotel Days Team Lead
2013 - ConCenter Days Team Lead
2014 - Hotel Days Commander

#11 User is offline   Mjolnir 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65387

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:56 AM

JujuFox - If they were a con-goer you could have told them that it was not allowed, and if it bothered you are very welcome to inform IRT personnel.

Though it was only my first year (with many more ahead of me), I do see that we patrol all areas as efficiently and swiftly as possible; had I seen this person I would have also told them it is against the ACen rules. Posted Image

Athena, FTW!

This post has been edited by Mjolnir: 22 May 2014 - 12:57 AM

ACen Attendee - '12, '13
ACen IRT - '14 (ADVENT)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users