Anime Central Forums: Help! I have eight days. - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help! I have eight days. I need to make my first ever cosplay costume, starting today. Tips?

#1 User is offline   NoticeKristen 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65467

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

I found out two days ago I'm going, and I want to cosplay as Janna from League of Legends. I can get sewing help and stuff, but are there any tips for making her outfit/costumes in general you could help me with, if I'm under a time constraint?

Thanks so much,
Kristen

#2 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

going to assume this? http://1.bp.blogspot...paces_jenna.jpg
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#3 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 64919

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

Good Luck O_o' I wouldn't be able to do that lol.. it's taken me 6 months to complete my cosplay and still not done x_x

#4 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

soo lets see. belt. bikini bottom. belt that can handle the weight of the sides and back. crown. the top..hmmm. yah you got alot of detail work in a short time. Though its mostly all white and yellow/gold so that helps with ease
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#5 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

wow that's a tall order!
My advice:
- skip sewing where possible and use hot glue, fabric glue or hem tape. (not for seams but for finishing this is quick and saves sewing for other things)
- don't go for perfection. If your gloves are straight instead of with peaks - fine. If your skirt is more heavy or "pencil" than flowy - fine. The point is to achieve a recognizable look rather at this point.
- USE YOUR CLOSET! If you have white knee high socks use those instead of making the leg bracers. Maybe build the bodice around a bra you already own. Fabric paint can help you get the color and detail.
- Crayola Model Magic is my best friend for small decorative details like the decorations on the belt and bodice. It is light weight, molds like playdoh and dries over night just by sitting out in regular air. It takes paint well and doesn't look as cheap as it actually is. You can get it at craft stores or maybe even target or walmart.
- Since the wig is basic blonde you may be able to find it at regular wig stores. Check your location for any.

Hope these tips help and I want to note the obvious- following these tips will not get you a competition level cosplay but will make one suitable for last minute con going.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#6 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

Agree with the above -- the time for sewing has passed. Bikini/bra base, then drape and hotglue with chunks of chiffon or old gauzy curtains (which can sometimes be found at thrift stores). Colored funfoam cut into shapes can take the place of jewels and crown and would mean you wouldn't have to worry about paint for those parts. Either hotglue the crown directly to the wig, or hotglue it to a cheap headband. piping and linear details can be done in hotglue and painted quickly if you have a steady hand.

good luck!

#7 User is offline   NoticeKristen 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65467

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostNikku, on 07 May 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Yeah, that's the one

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 07 May 2014 - 10:34 PM, said:

wow that's a tall order!
My advice:
- skip sewing where possible and use hot glue, fabric glue or hem tape. (not for seams but for finishing this is quick and saves sewing for other things)
- don't go for perfection. If your gloves are straight instead of with peaks - fine. If your skirt is more heavy or "pencil" than flowy - fine. The point is to achieve a recognizable look rather at this point.
- USE YOUR CLOSET! If you have white knee high socks use those instead of making the leg bracers. Maybe build the bodice around a bra you already own. Fabric paint can help you get the color and detail.
- Crayola Model Magic is my best friend for small decorative details like the decorations on the belt and bodice. It is light weight, molds like playdoh and dries over night just by sitting out in regular air. It takes paint well and doesn't look as cheap as it actually is. You can get it at craft stores or maybe even target or walmart.
- Since the wig is basic blonde you may be able to find it at regular wig stores. Check your location for any.

Hope these tips help and I want to note the obvious- following these tips will not get you a competition level cosplay but will make one suitable for last minute con going.

Thanks so much! I certainly know I can't do cosplay competitions on my first ever convention, so this will be really helpful.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users