• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shiny glasses help?

#1 User is offline   PlushSofa 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65457

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

This is my first time cosplaying and also my first time posting, so here goes...

The character I want to cosplay is from an anime and has these absurdly reflective glasses.
Does anyone know anywhere I could buy more reflective glasses, or any ways I could make an existing pair more shiny? I know they're not going to GLOW like that, but I could at least try to catch light at the right angle.

Thanks so much!

#2 User is offline   Bulma Briefs 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 11893

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

You are in luck! A few years back I wanted to cosplay as Inui from 'Prince of Tennis', but his thing is that you NEVER see his eyes. His glasses were completely reflective. This is how I did it:

I bought a cheap pair of frames that looked like my character's. Sadly for me, the frames I found were reading glasses at Walmart that made it a little hard to see, but they were the weakest so it wasn't too bad.

To make the reflectiveness I went to Menards and bought reflective tint window film. Then you follow the instructions to apply the window film except you pop out the lenses and cut the film to size (you can trim it after the film dries). How the film works is when people look at you, it's completely reflective, but if it's dark out it doesn't work. Due to the lenses being slightly curved, the film tends to want to pull away slightly (like bubbling), but I just smooth it out to make it look nice and I've never had it completely come off. When you look through the lenses, it's like wearing sunglasses.

I hope this helps!! It took me awhile to figure out how to do this and it really completes the cosplay. Plus, it can creep people out since they can't see where you're looking. ^_^/>/> (My best friend hated my cosplay for that reason. She kept telling me to take off my glasses while talking with her. Lol!)

This post has been edited by Bulma Briefs: 06 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

ACen 2014 Cosplay
Bulma Briefs - Bunny costume (Dragonball)<--Saturday

#3 User is offline   PlushSofa 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65457

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostBulma Briefs, on 06 May 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

You are in luck! A few years back I wanted to cosplay as Inui from 'Prince of Tennis', but his thing is that you NEVER see his eyes. His glasses were completely reflective. This is how I did it:

I bought a cheap pair of frames that looked like my character's. Sadly for me, the frames I found were reading glasses at Walmart that made it a little hard to see, but they were the weakest so it wasn't too bad.

To make the reflectiveness I went to Menards and bought reflective tint window film. Then you follow the instructions to apply the window film except you pop out the lenses and cut the film to size (you can trim it after the film dries). How the film works is when people look at you, it's completely reflective, but if it's dark out it doesn't work. Due to the lenses being slightly curved, the film tends to want to pull away slightly (like bubbling), but I just smooth it out to make it look nice and I've never had it completely come off. When you look through the lenses, it's like wearing sunglasses.

I hope this helps!! It took me awhile to figure out how to do this and it really completes the cosplay. Plus, it can creep people out since they can't see where you're looking. ^_^/>/>/>/>/> (My best friend hated my cosplay for that reason. She kept telling me to take off my glasses while talking with her. Lol!)

Wow, thank you so much!!! I'd really like to see a picture of your Inui as well.
Is the window film permanent?

This post has been edited by PlushSofa: 07 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

#4 User is offline   Bulma Briefs 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 11893

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostPlushSofa, on 07 May 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

Wow, thank you so much!!! I'd really like to see a picture of your Inui as well.
Is the window film permanent?

I'm happy I could help!! Yes, it is permanent. I'd love to see pictures of your cosplay and/or the glasses when you get it done! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here's a few pics of my Inui cosplay. I actually made Inui juice too (Inui's Special Vegetable Juice, Penal Tea, and Aozu); although I've been banned from ever making it again by my husband and best friend. Lol. ^_^

Me as Inui with my friend as Kaidou
Me with my green notebook
Serving Inui Vegetable Juice to the Seigaku team
ACen 2014 Cosplay
Bulma Briefs - Bunny costume (Dragonball)<--Saturday

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users