Anime Central Forums: What's the best way to make eyes see-through on a head made of cardboard - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the best way to make eyes see-through on a head made of cardboard Beyond just a hole, of course...

#1 User is offline   HavocTenrec 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62097

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

Ok, so I'm making a Sephiroth cosplay, and this is one of the biggest challenges I have right now... What's the best way to make the eyes look the way I want, but also make them something I can see out of? I'm guessing I can just make the pupil a plain hole... but what can I do to keep the eyes a nice turquoise and white? Any help on this would be extremely appreciated!

Bigger version - http://i.imgur.com/YgXn5rr.jpg
Posted Image

This post has been edited by HavocTenrec: 04 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

#2 User is offline   Styria 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65152

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostHavocTenrec, on 04 May 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

Ok, so I'm making a Sephiroth cosplay, and this is one of the biggest challenges I have right now... What's the best way to make the eyes look the way I want, but also make them something I can see out of? I'm guessing I can just make the pupil a plain hole... but what can I do to keep the eyes a nice turquoise and white? Any help on this would be extremely appreciated!

Bigger version - http://i.imgur.com/YgXn5rr.jpg
Posted Image

Wow...this is very cool. Might I ask what you did to get the eyes screen printed onto the fabric?

How about cutting out the pupil (just the black part) while leaving the iris in tact?

#3 User is offline   S1NN3R 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 11618
  • Location:Barrington, IL - US / London, England - UK )( Sector 7C

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:26 PM

I suggest cutting the eyes out all together and replaci them with a lightweight screen mesh. Paint the mesh as needed. It will give you the best vision without affecting look
"You'll never have any answers untill you ask the questions"
When people start asking, I'll answer.

Contact Me

Acens attended. 1998-2002, 04-06,08-Present

#4 User is offline   HavocTenrec 

• Pip

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:08 AM

View PostStyria, on 04 May 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

Wow...this is very cool. Might I ask what you did to get the eyes screen printed onto the fabric? How about cutting out the pupil (just the black part) while leaving the iris in tact?

Actually I just printed it from a computer and lightly taped it on for now to get an idea of how I want it to look. I was thinking of cutting out the iris, but I don't think that's enough vision for me.

View PostS1NN3R, on 04 May 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

I suggest cutting the eyes out all together and replaci them with a lightweight screen mesh. Paint the mesh as needed. It will give you the best vision without affecting look

Wouldn't the grid show through? What about Vinyl? Do you think one-way Vinyl Film would be a good way to go?

#5 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostHavocTenrec, on 04 May 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

What's the best way to make the eyes look the way I want, but also make them something I can see out of?

A loose-weave fabric called scrim is a common way to make mascot eyes. You can see the weave, and it does restrict vision, but it's paintable and doesn't look that bad in most cases. The window screening is also a good suggestion. If you don't want the texture, though, here's a link to instructions on how to make ones using hollow acrylic balls http://www.instructa...quick-and-cheap I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen good-looking mascot costumes using this method.

#6 User is offline   HavocTenrec 

• Pip

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

View PostTokoz, on 05 May 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

A loose-weave fabric called scrim is a common way to make mascot eyes. You can see the weave, and it does restrict vision, but it's paintable and doesn't look that bad in most cases. The window screening is also a good suggestion. If you don't want the texture, though, here's a link to instructions on how to make ones using hollow acrylic balls http://www.instructa...quick-and-cheap I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen good-looking mascot costumes using this method.

Well those look more like they're made for rounded realistic eyes, mine's more cartoony.

#7 User is offline   HavocTenrec 

• Pip

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

Ok I think I figured that point out, there's a fabric I can slightly see through so I just got that.

But there's a new problem... What would be the best way to get fabric to stick on cardboard? We tried a glue spray, but all the bumps in the cardboard showed through the fabric.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by HavocTenrec: 07 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

#8 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostHavocTenrec, on 07 May 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

But there's a new problem... What would be the best way to get fabric to stick on cardboard? We tried a glue spray, but all the bumps in the cardboard showed through the fabric.

layer of batting (hide the bumps), layer of pantyhose (smooth & compress), then fabric?

funfoam, then fabric?

sanding?

#9 User is offline   HavocTenrec 

• Pip

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

Cool, we're going to try the foam then fabric thing. :)
Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users