• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Recomended tourist sites I am coming in early what should I see

#1 User is offline   Ricin 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62714

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

I am coming in Tuesday late and I am going to do touristy things Wednesday and Thursday. I am planning on going to the Museum of Science and Industry but I was wondering what else I should see with my remaining time.

#2 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

If you have *time, energy, and money,* you can get a Chicago CityPass for $94 per person. It will help you save money on admission to Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, and more. Just keep in mind that you should choose this option if you're absolutely sure you will enjoy visiting several of these places.

For more info on CTA fares, read about the system. The Ventra card will cost you a few dollars, but it's durable and works pretty well, especially at train gates. It's fully compatible with trains, city buses, and suburban Pace buses. Consider whether you'll benefit by using a 1-day or a 3-day pass to get around town.

There's been a couple of Chicago tourism threads on this forum, including two as recent as 2013. Some personal highlights include:

* Mitsuwa Marketplace, in Arlington Heights. From the Rosemont Blue Line station, take Pace Bus 606 ($1.75 cash per person). The stop you want is just before Arlington Heights Road. Make sure to check when/where the bus going back toward Rosemont will be! It currently has a decent Kinokinuya Bookstore, groceries, and several restaurants on site. I recommend arriving by 6 PM, because all the restaurants close at 7 PM, and fresh food will be scarce.

* Chicago's Chinatown, accessable from the Red Line. Go south from downtown to the Cermak-Chinatown stop. Lots to see, including a unique K-Pop store. Trains require either a Ventra card or the soon-to-be-obsolete flimsy cards.

* North of downtown is the Red Line Belmont stop. From there, it's one block east and one block north on Clark Street to two personal favorites: Chicago Comics (lots of indie stuff, merchandise, good organization) and People Play Games (video games from the mid-70s through today in good condition). Not a bad neighborhood.

* From the Blue Line Damen stop on the north side, you're just a short walk away from a fascinating hipster neighborhood. It's kind of confusing to figure out what street you're on. However, make efforts to find places such as The Worm Hole (coffee, an in-store working NES, and '80s memorabilia) and Reckless Records (rare audio and some other used media).

* Gameworks, which is a decent arcade destination. If you're going to the location near Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg during the daytime, you can get there from Rosemont on Pace Bus 606, or the much more limited Bus 600. However, if you intend to stay past 9 PM, then be sure to drive... since taxi service is rare and expensive in Schaumburg.

* The thematically similar Dave and Busters has some suburban locations, as well as one on the north side of Chicago.

* Around ACen, there's the Muvico movie theater, a bowling lounge, and several bars. Just a little further south is the recent Fashion Outlets Mall with a food court. Use the ACen survival map!

EDIT: one last thing... consider attending the meet-and-greet events on Thursday evening.

This post has been edited by dorkatlarge: 03 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

#3 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

definitely go to Millennium Park, especially with the weather getting slightly better!

and the neighborhood by the blue line damen station is called Bucktown Wicker Park.
I also recommend going to Oak Park, which is located at the terminal stop of the Green Line, Harlem and Lake. It's beautiful there and it has a very small town atmosphere.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

OFFICIAL LINE-UP:
Friday: Taiga Aisaka, Toradora (100% done)
Saturday: Sugar, OFF by Mortis Ghost (90% done)
Sunday: Pink Lolita Coord (80% complete, will buy 20% at con)

#4 User is offline   JDM 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 18044

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Time Out Chicago you could try using the search on their website. I used to look at it almost every week back when it was still a print magazine.

This post has been edited by JDM: 04 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

#5 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

The Not for Tourists books are updated every year, and provide useful details about many Chicago neighborhoods. Most other books just show touristy areas like downtown and the near north side. Their website sells PDFs, maps, and more.

View PostFantasia, on 04 May 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

I also recommend going to Oak Park, which is located at the terminal stop of the Green Line, Harlem and Lake. It's beautiful there and it has a very small town atmosphere.

Agreed! There's a lot to see around and slightly north of the Harlem and Oak Park stations. Though I believe it's best to leave the neighborhood before dark, since that section of the Green Line passes through some bad areas.

#6 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:24 AM

Wear comfortable shoes!

#7 User is offline   Ricin 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62714

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

Thanks everyone! Sorry it took me so long to reply but work has been taking it's toll before I can go on vacation.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users