• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Contacts? How do I get them?

#1 User is offline   Vheeria 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65378

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

I need amber/orange/gold eyes for a cosplay. However, last time I paid for some overseas pairs, they were all extremely thick, uncomfortable, and what I can guess were the wrong size. Anyone know what's the best place to get an eye exam in Chicago? I was considering a Pearl Vision but I don't know if they even sell unnatural eye colors. My budget is $150 for the eyes and anything I can get under that is fine. I also need them by May 10th since I'll be finalizing my cosplays and will need to have everything perfect and in order.

#2 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

Step 1 is always get an eye exam and get a prescription for contacts. You may find out that you can't wear contacts, or you have an astigmatism, or that you don't need contacts at all! Regardless, it's imperative that you get an exam first.

Step 2 is finding contacts. This will depend on step 1, but let's assume you're good to wear contacts. I've gotten mine from extremesfx.com(Based in the US) and I just ordered two pairs from pinkyparadise.com(Based in Malaysia) that I haven't gotten in the mail yet. Personally, I've had excellent experience with the lenses I've gotten from extremesfx, and I've heard nothing but good things about PinkyParadise. I know one person who has been ordering from and using lenses from Pinky for over a year now with no problems.

There are two types of colored contacts that you will find. Normal colored contacts and circle lenses.

As a side note, colored contacts do feel thicker than normal contacts because they are thicker and less permeable due to the color printed on them. A fresh pair of my Acuvue Oasys contacts feels like I'm not wearing contacts at all!

Diameter and water content are what sets normal colored contacts and circle lenses apart. Typically circle lenses are 15 in diameter, and normal colored contacts are 14.5 in diameter. Water content also varies by brand. Both are soft lenses, and are not recommended for extended all day wear. Typically 6 to 8 hours is the max. Both also are good for up to a year with occasional use and if exceptional care is taken.

Most times problems with contacts are caused by poor hygiene, improper lens care, wearing them while sleeping, or sharing of lenses between friends or family. These are all no-nos.

Another side note, I wear toric soft lenses to correct astigmatism. There aren't many colored toric lenses, but I can still use regular corrective colored lenses. It's just that things don't look as clear since the astigmatism isn't being corrected.

I know this is more info than you were asking for, but I wanted to put all that out there in case anyone else came with some questions.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#3 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 25 April 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Step 1 is always get an eye exam and get a prescription for contacts. You may find out that you can't wear contacts, or you have an astigmatism, or that you don't need contacts at all! Regardless, it's imperative that you get an exam first.

I can't stress this enough. If you buy contacts without getting a proper size/prescription from a doctor first, you can do serious, permanent damage to your eyes just by wearing them. It can even cause blindness!
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#4 User is offline   Vheeria 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65378

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 25 April 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Step 2 is finding contacts. This will depend on step 1, but let's assume you're good to wear contacts. I've gotten mine from extremesfx.com(Based in the US) and I just ordered two pairs from pinkyparadise.com(Based in Malaysia) that I haven't gotten in the mail yet. Personally, I've had excellent experience with the lenses I've gotten from extremesfx, and I've heard nothing but good things about PinkyParadise. I know one person who has been ordering from and using lenses from Pinky for over a year now with no problems.

Alright, this was really helpful. However:

1. Got any recommended places for an exam? I'm trying for JC Penny since my grandmother used to go there. But at the same time I'd rather not end up paying twice as much as if I went to Walmart or something.

2. So I checked out extreme and I'm a bit worried. I've been to plenty of contact online stores, however all their images and lenses types all seem the same. How do I know that, if I'm approved, that their yellow isn't the same as another's? Any brands I should look for specifically? My eyes are rather dark as well.

Also, since I'm on the ACen time limit, which has the best shipping? I like the way pinky looks, but if based outside the US, I doubt it'd make it in time since I recall ordering a pair from London once and getting it over a month later. All that wasted money.

This post has been edited by Vheeria: 25 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

#5 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostVheeria, on 25 April 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

Alright, this was really helpful. However:

1. Got any recommended places for an exam? I'm trying for JC Penny since my grandmother used to go there. But at the same time I'd rather not end up paying twice as much as if I went to Walmart or something.

2. So I checked out extreme and I'm a bit worried. I've been to plenty of contact online stores, however all their images and lenses types all seem the same. How do I know that, if I'm approved, that their yellow isn't the same as another's? Any brands I should look for specifically? My eyes are rather dark as well.

Also, since I'm on the ACen time limit, which has the best shipping? I like the way pinky looks, but if based outside the US, I doubt it'd make it in time since I recall ordering a pair from London once and getting it over a month later. All that wasted money.

1. Depends on your insurance. I have an eye/dental combo through my husband's job. We go to Lens Crafters and pay $10 with our insurance plan. It's normally $49 for just the regular eye exam. I think the contact evaluation is an extra cost on top of that. You'll have to shop around for the best price, or wait for someone else to chime in.

2. I've gotten my contacts from extremesfx in about a week. They usually say in the description if they are opaque, mostly opaque, etc, and also some of the contacts do have reviews from customers that you can read. I have very dark brown eyes, and the ones I got showed up very well. Pinky will take longer to get, but you can pay extra for faster shipping. I chose FedEx Economy shipping, and I'm betting on them arriving in a week. They shipped out less than a day after I bought them.

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#6 User is offline   vicemage 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10902

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

I've used Walmart in the past, and had a roommate who used Target. I'm using a place local to me now, but with my insurance I don't pay too much for the exam + lenses that I get there.

If it's a more natural-looking orange/amber/gold you're after, I personally have been wearing FreshLook Colorblends in "Honey" for years, and they have a very nice, natural amber tone to them. Colorblends is the line for dark eyes; there's also a "colors" line for lighter colors (that can look kind of interesting in dark ones!), but I'm not sure they have an equivalent color. When you get your exam, ask the doctor to try some different colors. The ones they'll have are "plano" (0 power) and often have part of the design cut out for a logo, but are otherwise the same coloring so will give you an accurate look at how they'll look in your eyes.

Additionally, be sure to get information on how to properly handle them so you can keep them clean and well-cared for! It's really important to take care of your lenses (and always get that prescription, as others said before).

#7 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:00 AM

If you have a Costco membership, they do eye exams as well.

So after looking through both of these sites, I noticed that they had a way smaller selection that were actually prescription lenses, and I was just wondering if anyone knew of any that had a better selection for those of us who are visually impaired. Especially since if I were ever to get colored contacts for one of my cosplays it would very likely have to be a custom job.

This post has been edited by Kaay-chan: 27 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#8 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostKaay-chan, on 27 April 2014 - 01:00 AM, said:

If you have a Costco membership, they do eye exams as well.

So after looking through both of these sites, I noticed that they had a way smaller selection that were actually prescription lenses, and I was just wondering if anyone knew of any that had a better selection for those of us who are visually impaired. Especially since if I were ever to get colored contacts for one of my cosplays it would very likely have to be a custom job.

Well around this this of year I think that some popular colors go out of stock for some prescription strengths. I had to go with my 3rd choice for red contacts as the first two pairs I was wanting were either sold out of my prescription or were only plano. I still bought red contacts though, so especially for PinkyParadise they have a variety to choose from for each color.

What is the color you were looking for and your prescription?

#9 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 27 April 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

Well around this this of year I think that some popular colors go out of stock for some prescription strengths. I had to go with my 3rd choice for red contacts as the first two pairs I was wanting were either sold out of my prescription or were only plano. I still bought red contacts though, so especially for PinkyParadise they have a variety to choose from for each color.

What is the color you were looking for and your prescription?

I'd be looking for contacts to cosplay as this character: http://animediet.net...csnap-00007.png

And I think my prescription is -4.50 in the right eye and -4.75 in the left eye, assuming I'm reading the side of my contacts box right.
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

-Sidney Sheldon

#10 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 27 April 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

I'd be looking for contacts to cosplay as this character: http://animediet.net...csnap-00007.png

And I think my prescription is -4.50 in the right eye and -4.75 in the left eye, assuming I'm reading the side of my contacts box right.

That's going to be tough. I can't find any that are blue with purple on the inside. There are plenty of two-toned contacts(like this one) that are two-toned in your prescription though. Sorry I can't be of more help!

#11 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 27 April 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

That's going to be tough. I can't find any that are blue with purple on the inside. There are plenty of two-toned contacts(like this one) that are two-toned in your prescription though. Sorry I can't be of more help!

It's cool. You've still been super helpful and I really appreciate it.

-Sidney Sheldon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users