Anime Central Forums: Posting Labels on Prints? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Posting Labels on Prints? What's your take?

#1 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60865

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

I've been debating this for a while, so figured I'd ask my fellow AA-ers!

I dislike putting my signature or watermark on prints because I feel like it clutters the image up, sometimes gets lost or can really stick out like a sore thumb.

I saw it once before where the artist used a mailing label and put it on the back of the print with their studio name and website address, and I was debating doing the same. But I don't want it to look tacky. If anything, I would probably just put my studio name and maybe the name/title of the print, just in case the buyer ever wants to see who they got it from.

What do you think? How do you sign/mark your prints (if you do so at all)?

Thanks for your feedback!

I will (hopefully) be attending ACen 2015 as an Artist.
You can view my merchandise at my Etsy Shop.
Or visit my DA for more samples of my chibis and prints.
Feel free to message me with any suggestions or comments!

#2 User is offline   sockie 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60522

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

I sell prints at craft fairs and on Etsy--haven't done a con yet, although I want to!--and I sign each one on the front, bottom right corner. I feel like that makes them feel special and makes each one personalized. Then I put them in flat plastic bags with a stiff backing board and toss in one of my business cards, info side facing out on the backside. This way you're clearly identified and each customer is sure to get a card. For my prints sold in shops, I print my logo on those mailing stickers and stick those on the back, too.

I agree that watermarks are kinda lame. The customer is paying you for artwork, I doubt they want it watermarked like they stole it from the internet or something haha. I only think a sticker is bad on the back of the print if you can see it through the paper or if it makes an indentation if framed.

It's pretty cheap nowadays to get a custom stamp made--maybe you could get a stamp with your info and gently stamp each one?

#3 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60865

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

View Postsockie, on 25 April 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

I sell prints at craft fairs and on Etsy--haven't done a con yet, although I want to!--and I sign each one on the front, bottom right corner. I feel like that makes them feel special and makes each one personalized. Then I put them in flat plastic bags with a stiff backing board and toss in one of my business cards, info side facing out on the backside. This way you're clearly identified and each customer is sure to get a card. For my prints sold in shops, I print my logo on those mailing stickers and stick those on the back, too.

I agree that watermarks are kinda lame. The customer is paying you for artwork, I doubt they want it watermarked like they stole it from the internet or something haha. I only think a sticker is bad on the back of the print if you can see it through the paper or if it makes an indentation if framed.

It's pretty cheap nowadays to get a custom stamp made--maybe you could get a stamp with your info and gently stamp each one?

Thanks Sockie!
I have a few prints where I signed them on the front (also bottom right corner!), but it doesn't work for all of my designs (some are much too dark for a signature and in others no matter how small I write it it covers up part of the print I don't want covered). I am always tickled pink though when someone asks me to sign a print at a con! :D

I've thought about the custom stamp, but I would love to include the title of each piece (which isn't displayed anywhere at cons and some of mine I think are quite fun) so a stamp wouldn't really be viable.

I print on 12pt glossy, so there shouldn't be any issue with a label on the back showing through. I think I may just go ahead and do that once I get some new ink!

I will (hopefully) be attending ACen 2015 as an Artist.
You can view my merchandise at my Etsy Shop.
Or visit my DA for more samples of my chibis and prints.
Feel free to message me with any suggestions or comments!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users