• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

First time Cosplayer

#1 User is offline   CarlyLyn 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63885

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

I'm a little scared to cosplay for the first time. I'm going as Mizore Shirayuki from rosario vampire and I know I have every detail in place. I'm just a little scared any advice you can give?

#2 User is offline   Ervyla 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59380

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

What are you scared about?
Rosalina (Super Mario Galaxy) 2010
Malon (Legend of Zelda - OOT) 2011
River Song (Doctor Who) 2012
OC 2013
Zora Link ( Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess) 2014
Redo Zora Link (LoZ - TP)
and Lorelei (Pokemon) 2015

#3 User is offline   CarlyLyn 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

i dont know i just feel like im not gonna pull it off.

#4 User is offline   Ervyla 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

You will be fine. I'm sure you've done a wonderful job :)
OC 2013

#5 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62448

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

View PostCarlyLyn, on 22 April 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

i dont know i just feel like im not gonna pull it off.

Honestly, we were all in your shoes at one point or another. We all went through some form of con/costume jitters. If you need some help lemme know. Shoot me a message too if you'd like. :)
Hope is comforting. It allows us to accept fate, no matter how tragic it might be. ~ Yunalesca FFX

#6 User is offline   Ervyla 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Oops, didn't mean to post that twice :)/>

This post has been edited by Ervyla: 22 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

OC 2013

#7 User is offline   CarlyLyn 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Thanks guys :)

#8 User is offline   MOMO2 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 49830

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

I was the same way and I went alone, But seeing how happy I made people was great. I was Elk from .Hack for the first year.
My friend and I would like to see you there since he is a big fan of Mizore and all and I love the series. :thumbup:
The only thing to fear is yourself.

#9 User is offline   CarlyLyn 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

View PostMOMO2, on 22 April 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

I was the same way and I went alone, But seeing how happy I made people was great. I was Elk from .Hack for the first year.
My friend and I would like to see you there since he is a big fan of Mizore and all and I love the series. :thumbup:/>

the best place to find me would be the smokeing area behind the hyatt

#10 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

Free hints to cover your fears. Wear the outfit around the house. Practice ALL the movement you can so you can see what it will do. Does something lift or show? can you not do something or it will fall off? can you run, jump? move fast? And, embrace your fear about it. You are playing a character who's a bit of a wall flower, you start feeling scared. Go hide behind a pillar or something, people will think its you being cute and that should break the ice.
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#11 User is offline   CarlyLyn 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

View PostNikku, on 22 April 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

Free hints to cover your fears. Wear the outfit around the house. Practice ALL the movement you can so you can see what it will do. Does something lift or show? can you not do something or it will fall off? can you run, jump? move fast? And, embrace your fear about it. You are playing a character who's a bit of a wall flower, you start feeling scared. Go hide behind a pillar or something, people will think its you being cute and that should break the ice.

hehehe break the ice

#12 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

Seconding what everyone else said. Something it took me a couple years to figure out: All those flaws and inaccuracies and things you don't like about your costume? NOBODY BUT YOU CAN SEE THEM. To everyone else, you look awesome. Even though you're nervous, even if you can't do any other pose but "stand awkwardly," you are going to make someone's entire convention by just showing up in that costume. Also, the proper response to any compliment, even if you don't think you deserve it, is "thank you." I actually had to practice that one. :) And, if you get overwhelmed 1) it's a perfectly valid thing to feel, and 2) you can change clothes. You already have major bonus points for having your cosplay done before the convention (wish I could be that on top of things). You're going to do great!

#13 User is offline   RogueShinobi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19520

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

Cosplaying for the first time can be a bit overwhelming, as everyone else has said. But I look at it as, you are surrounded by literally thousands of others who were in your shoes at one point and many of them are also going for the first time in their own cosplay.

Also, rule number 1, if anyone judges your outfit and says that it is in accurate, just ignore them, besides creative liberty is the essence of design, also by having things slightly off you are avoiding copyright infringement, seeing as technically only the officially licensed cosplays are accurate to 100% (not always). But hey no one is perfect and everyone has their own spin on things.

So go out there, have fun and don't let people get you down, not like there will be many that would as from your description your cosplay is fairly well done. Kudos for being way ahead of the curve and being done.

Hope to see you at the Con. Will be a hiker from Pokémon, only thing I had time to get together this year. Planning to get plenty of pictures this year, hopefully make some awesome new friends and meet tons of new people.
"Be you, Be yourself, Let no one change who you are."

"The world is a treacherous place, learn from it, embrace it, make it your own."

Take a look, feel free to comment and leave feedback. Thanks!

Slideshow of a few of my pictures.

#14 User is offline   onemokona 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 64172

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostRogueShinobi, on 23 April 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

Cosplaying for the first time can be a bit overwhelming, as everyone else has said. But I look at it as, you are surrounded by literally thousands of others who were in your shoes at one point and many of them are also going for the first time in their own cosplay.

Also, rule number 1, if anyone judges your outfit and says that it is in accurate, just ignore them, besides creative liberty is the essence of design, also by having things slightly off you are avoiding copyright infringement, seeing as technically only the officially licensed cosplays are accurate to 100% (not always). But hey no one is perfect and everyone has their own spin on things.

I'm sure you will look great but I do want to emphasize what they said in their reply--if someone says something that is negative, just shrug it off. I once had a person comment about one of our Patty's (from Soul Eater) bosom not being bigger than our Liz's which was totally inappropriate. Just don't even give the person the attention they want. If you want someone to hang out with, you are welcome to join our group! Love that you're doing Mizore! I don't see many Rosario cosplayers.

#15 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

You're cosplaying. You're already a winner in my book. :thumbup:
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#16 User is offline   Miayoko 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65210

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:27 AM

Lol I've been cosplaying for over 10 years and I still get scared. Don't worry bout it just wear your costume and let the haters hate. I'm sure you will do just fine :) cosplay is about having fun!
ACen 2014 Cosplays:
Friday: Final Fantasy XIV Arcanist - 70%
Saturday: Sasha Braus - 100%
Sunday: Cinnamoroll Kigurumi - 100%

#17 User is offline   Bulma Briefs 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11893

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:03 AM

You'll do great!!! The first year I cosplayed, I didn't care about details at all or how my cosplay would compare and it was REALLY bad, but I had a lot of fun anyways. The fact that you took the time to go over all the details will show and take great pride in that! I'll admit I'm scared this year too. I've got a new cosplay that is way more revealing than what I'm used to and I'm not the skinniest thing, but everyone is so supportive!! Someone told me to wear your cosplay with confidence and people notice that. Have confidence in the fact that you made your own cosplay and are willing to show it off! ^_^ If you run into anyone who gives you any crap about your cosplay, just ignore them (I know it can be hard to do, but it's not worth ruining your time at the con!). There are tons of others who will love it and there are tons of others who are probably as nervous if not maybe more so than you.

I hang around some of the smoking areas too so if you ever need some advice or someone to talk to, feel free to talk to me! ^_^ I'm going all by myself this year and could use a friend to just chit chat with at the con.

Lastly, to quote one of my favorite movies/books 'Dune', "fear is the mind killer". ^_^
ACen 2014 Cosplay
Bulma Briefs - Bunny costume (Dragonball)<--Saturday

#18 User is offline   CarlyLyn 

• Pip

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

Update:
I had a blast cosplaying and actually really proud of how it all came together thanks to all for your help in giving me the courage to cosplay!

#19 User is offline   Xenes 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65617

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Loved your Mizore!! Was the Aono Tsukune from the photo shoot.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users