• You cannot reply to this topic

What do I do with my glasses?

#1 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 65191

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

I am extremely nearsighted, and I need a place to hide my glasses when I get pictures taken and such.
Last year I managed to hide my glasses behind a fan in my Hetalia Taiwan cosplay, and the year before I was Mey-Rin from Kuroshitsuji, which was a glasses cosplay.

This year, I'm Amane Misa from Death Note, and I don't know where to keep my glasses in a quick, efficient way so I can put them away, then out them back on quickly.

If someone says "just don't wear them" or "get contacts" I will disregard your misinformed opinion because
1. If I had those options, I would've considered them
2. My sight is too bad to go without them, and contacts aren't an option until AFTER ACen.

I was honking one option could be to hide them behind my Death Note somehow, but it seems too difficult now that I've tried it.
ACen 2015 Cosplay-
Cinder Fall: 0% done

Anime Midwest 2015 Cosplay-
Mikasa Ackerman: 20% done
Possible other cosplays undecided

#2 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

I'm not sure if you will be with anyone at the con, but I have a friend who had a similar concern, and whenever anyone took a picture of him, I just held his glasses really quick, and gave them back to him. Maybe that would help?
also your idea of hiding them behind them behind your death note is a pretty good idea! :)
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#3 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 19 April 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

I'm not sure if you will be with anyone at the con, but I have a friend who had a similar concern, and whenever anyone took a picture of him, I just held his glasses really quick, and gave them back to him. Maybe that would help?
also your idea of hiding them behind them behind your death note is a pretty good idea! :)/>

That might work, I'm going with about four or five friends, but hey also have the problem. Most of them, anyway. I also have my dad, and I tried giving him my glasses and dashing back! but a lot of times the people taking the pictures would be trying to quickly take the picture since they saw another cosplayer nearby
ACen 2015 Cosplay-

#4 User is offline   StarShiranui 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63186

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

If I recall correctly, doesn't Misa have a purse of some sort? That could be an easy and cosplay effective way to hide them.
2014 Cons
ACen, A-kon, San Japan.

ACen 2014
- Mito Uzumaki (Naruto), Snake cloak!Kabuto Yakushi (Naruto), Schrodinger (Hellsing)

#5 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

View PostStarShiranui, on 19 April 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

If I recall correctly, doesn't Misa have a purse of some sort? That could be an easy and cosplay effective way to hide them.

Misa does not, at least, not one she carries around a lot. The thing is, I already have this backpack my dad will carry around, and I think any purse I would use would be pointless to bring along if it's just for the glasses. I can't exactly go run to my dad every so often either...
ACen 2015 Cosplay-

#6 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

I know jack all about Death Note but I'm going to assume it's something like this http://meuploads.com...by_necrid13.jpg

From that I have two suggestions;

1: Quickly place one arm of the glasses through the choker on the back of your neck, flat against the skin. Or try the boots; same thing different area.
2: Obscure them behind the Death Note if you choose to have one. A bit of hand trickery goes a long way.

I'd suggest a third option, but then I'd get slapped with a warning :V
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#7 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 19 April 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

I know jack all about Death Note but I'm going to assume it's something like this http://meuploads.com...by_necrid13.jpg

From that I have two suggestions;

1: Quickly place one arm of the glasses through the choker on the back of your neck, flat against the skin. Or try the boots; same thing different area.
2: Obscure them behind the Death Note if you choose to have one. A bit of hand trickery goes a long way.

I'd suggest a third option, but then I'd get slapped with a warning :V

In general, it's the same costume, I'm actually doing the movie version portrayed by Erika Toda.
I'll try to put it in my choker, thanks! Mine is beaded, so I'm not sure if it'll work, but it's a good suggestion!
ACen 2015 Cosplay-

#8 User is offline   vicemage 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 10902

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

Some more suggestions... if it's because you're having trouble holding them in place that the "hiding behind the Death Note" option is a challenge: try adding a "pocket" to the back/interior of the book that you can drop them into while you pose, and slide them back out of when you're done. This way your hand isn't engaged with holding onto them, and you'll have a little more freedom of posing.

Also, you could pick up a fancier badge holder/"travel document holder" that would have room to tuck the glasses into (along with holding your badge for the weekend). It's been a long time since I've seen Death Note so I can't speak specifically to the Misa costume, but for myself, I use a purchased badge holder tied to my belt at conventions, and generally pose either so the coat I'm wearing covers it, or so that side's angled away from the photographer, so there isn't a huge badge in the middle of the photo. You could consider something similar for positioning, and use the extra pockets that come in one of these as a glasses-holder.

#9 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

I usually just loop my glasses into whatever bag I am holding that I have to drop anyway for poses if I don't have anywhere to hide them.
But I also would just tuck them into my bra for a quick sec or hide them in the folds of the cosplay (ie in Raven, they are in my hand under the cape)

Misa poses kind of cute a lot so you might be able to just hold them behind your back a few times. You may even use them as a prop ( I don't think it'd be too out of character for her to have hipster glasses lol).

Also - if you're using a wig, you might just hang it behind your neck between the wefts at the base of your neck.

Hope this helps.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#10 User is offline   Akushou 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 12064

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

If you're not carrying a bag or don't have anyone around to hold them for you, you can try hiding them behind a prop or stick them in the waistband of your skirt in the back.
ACen 2014 Costume Lineup

- Sesshoumaru (Inuyasha) | 99% complete
- Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY)| 60% complete
- Shizuo Heiwajima (Durarara!!) | 100% complete

#11 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

It might be a little out of character, but I could see Misa trying to look cute by wearing glasses and sliding them down to the tip of her nose while looking into the Death Note. Depends on how your glasses look though, if they'd match her look or not. Whenever I need to quickly hide something I have a tendency of sticking it in my bra, which might work depending on what you're wearing.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it though. I'd rather have a Misa in glasses than a blind Misa stumbling around xD And if anyone politely asks you to remove them, you can just use any of the previous suggestions. Personally, I don't think wearing them is a huge deal. I wear hearing aids, which tend to be less noticeable than glasses, but no way in hell would I take them off to be "in character"
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#12 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

View Postvicemage, on 19 April 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

Some more suggestions... if it's because you're having trouble holding them in place that the "hiding behind the Death Note" option is a challenge: try adding a "pocket" to the back/interior of the book that you can drop them into while you pose, and slide them back out of when you're done. This way your hand isn't engaged with holding onto them, and you'll have a little more freedom of posing.

Also, you could pick up a fancier badge holder/"travel document holder" that would have room to tuck the glasses into (along with holding your badge for the weekend). It's been a long time since I've seen Death Note so I can't speak specifically to the Misa costume, but for myself, I use a purchased badge holder tied to my belt at conventions, and generally pose either so the coat I'm wearing covers it, or so that side's angled away from the photographer, so there isn't a huge badge in the middle of the photo. You could consider something similar for positioning, and use the extra pockets that come in one of these as a glasses-holder.

I actually purchased my Death Note at a local anime merchandise store, and it has binding attached to cardboard, which might save as a pocket, thank you
ACen 2015 Cosplay-

#13 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 20 April 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

I usually just loop my glasses into whatever bag I am holding that I have to drop anyway for poses if I don't have anywhere to hide them.
But I also would just tuck them into my bra for a quick sec or hide them in the folds of the cosplay (ie in Raven, they are in my hand under the cape)

Misa poses kind of cute a lot so you might be able to just hold them behind your back a few times. You may even use them as a prop ( I don't think it'd be too out of character for her to have hipster glasses lol).

Also - if you're using a wig, you might just hang it behind your neck between the wefts at the base of your neck.

Hope this helps.

I would use them, but the glasses I wear are more mature, not wide and cute, so they'd be very out of character haha, and I'm using my natural hair for the cosplay. I might try to hold them behind my back or in my gloves if the pose works, but otherwise I'll try concealing them in my costume.
ACen 2015 Cosplay-

#14 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 20 April 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

It might be a little out of character, but I could see Misa trying to look cute by wearing glasses and sliding them down to the tip of her nose while looking into the Death Note. Depends on how your glasses look though, if they'd match her look or not. Whenever I need to quickly hide something I have a tendency of sticking it in my bra, which might work depending on what you're wearing.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it though. I'd rather have a Misa in glasses than a blind Misa stumbling around xD And if anyone politely asks you to remove them, you can just use any of the previous suggestions. Personally, I don't think wearing them is a huge deal. I wear hearing aids, which tend to be less noticeable than glasses, but no way in hell would I take them off to be "in character"

Taking them off is just what I like to do, I'd wear contacts, but I can't get them anytime soon! I like the authenticity of it, and it's not too inconvenient for me ^_^.
As I mentioned in another reply, my glasses don't quite fit the character, and so I'm hiding them
Sticking them in my bra might work
ACen 2015 Cosplay-

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users