• You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone else been to Japan?

#1 User is offline   RogueShinobi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19520

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

I went to Japan back in August and had a blast.

I spent two weeks there , roughly a week in Kyoto and a week in Tokyo.

Wanted to know if anyone has been. What their experiences were and if they planned on going back.

I plan on going back at least once more, not for a while, but I plan on going back and visiting other historical areas of Japan, Osaka, Hiroshima, etc.
"Be you, Be yourself, Let no one change who you are."

"The world is a treacherous place, learn from it, embrace it, make it your own."

Take a look, feel free to comment and leave feedback. Thanks!

Slideshow of a few of my pictures.

#2 User is offline   Fishay 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65074

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

I've been a couple times, to Tokyo, Kyoto, Kameoka and Osaka.... I was visiting friends,it was fun! I do want to go back, when I do it will probably be with my friends who own/operate PacSet Tours https://pacsettours.com/

I just don't think I will go in the middle of july again, that was bloody hot and japan's idea of air conditioning is severely lacking. I'd like to go in the autumn if/when I go again.

happy hour in Osaka was amazing..... shopping arcades and gashpon machines are bad ideas while drunk however n.n;
----2014 cosplays-----
Zidane Tribal - Complete
Gadget Hackwrench - Complete
Toothless - Complete
http://www.cosplay.com/member/58026/

#3 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

I went last year in October for a little over two weeks. The weather was really good, except for the few days it really poured because of a passing typhoon. But I would love to go back again. :thumbup:

We went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Osaka, and Nara and didn't really do any tours (although the one tour we took to go to Mt. Fuji was worth every dollar, I would recommend it to anyone).

• Tokyo was so busy but fun. Literally everything is available to you if you know which train to get on. Sky Tree and the Ghibli Museum were highlights! We left for our tour of Mt. Fuji from here.
  • Kyoto was really full of history and people were really friendly there. Several people here helped us out when they could see I was having a rough time with my Japanese. We visited Fushimi Inari Taisha.
  • Hiroshima is pretty amazing. Also the oysters are really good there. Hiroshima feels much "home-like" than the other cities.
  • Osaka made me think of a US city and had a lot of good eats. Den Den Town was fun.
  • Nara is a small city and has a lot of cool historical stuff there. Plus the deer are really neat.

I had forgotten a lot of my Japanese but I still remembered enough to get around and understand what people were saying (mostly).

This post has been edited by Rori: 16 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#4 User is offline   Shintarou Inuzuka 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 27945

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

I lived there for a year, and it was even better than I thought it would be! I absolutely loved it there.
The Official Cosplay of BARON SHINTAROU INUZUKA OF SEALAND! (STILL PATENT PENDING)
2014: Yosuke Hanamura (Persona 4), Japan (New CD version) (Hetalia), Bossun (Sket Dance), EGL, Haruka Nanase (Free!)

Member of the Bishie Brigade! [Insert slogan here.] Also the game.
WARNING: This user has the Inuyasha Falling Down Problem. Feel free not to yell a certain dog command at him if you see him.
WARNING: Twitch may be controlling this attendee's movement.

#5 User is offline   Kadabra 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 52306

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:43 AM

I went back in 2006 for a high school trip. It was my first Japanese language teacher's last year teaching at my school so she wanted to do something special. My group got to go for 9 days and we went to Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka. I remember going to Mt. Fuji, Akihabara, a bunch of shrines, and then some general tours around Kyoto and Tokyo (we were only in Osaka for about half a day to see some shrines). During our free times, I usually ended up going to the arcade with some friends, but we also ran around to various places for food.

I definitely want to go back again someday because it was a lot of fun. I'd like to maybe live there for a little while, or at least go there for my honeymoon when I get married in the future.
2014 Cosplays
Yukari - Persona 3
Phi - Virtue's Last Reward
Sonia Nevermind - Super Dangan Ronpa 2

#6 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

What is money? If I had some of that, I would absolutely go. But that is a thing that I lack.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#7 User is offline   Wafflashizzles 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62412

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

4 times. All of them were 3 weeks - 1 month, except for the last trip, which only lasted two weeks.

I spend 1-2 weeks in Tokyo always for myself, having fun, buying stuff, etc, then I travel around for sightseeing and visiting friends.

Outside of Tokyo, I usually spend a few days visiting friends in Nagoya, Kyoto, Kumamoto, And Sapporo on the north island, All by train/boat. It's awesome how far you can go on a cheap train ticket in japan.

Outside of those places, I usually make it a point to stop off in one of the other big/historic cities like Osaka, Nagasaki, etc.

My favorite cities would have to be Tokyo and Sapporo, though. Tokyo just has so much cool stuff and good food, and makes it difficult for you to get bored. But Sapporo is just such an awesome city in the mountains, with a really cool winter festival. I dunno, It's just something about eating some tasty street food when it's cold and snowy that has this special charm to it.

The only bad part about japan is if you aren't in Tokyo, it can be a little difficult to find a really decent meal if you're a westerner who doesn't like fish. But I learned to adapt, and if you're new and going there you probably will adapt too.

#8 User is offline   batjuggalo187 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 9592

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:41 PM

roughtly how much does 1 week cost to visit tokyo. plane tickets, food, hotel and transportation ect

#9 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

View Postbatjuggalo187, on 02 May 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

roughtly how much does 1 week cost to visit tokyo. plane tickets, food, hotel and transportation ect

The airline tickets (from where we live) cost over $1,000 per person round trip and didn't seem to fluctuate very much over the several months we kept checking prices. (We had to have a layover though because there are no direct flights from Narita to Indianapolis). If you live farther west it tends to be a little cheaper.

As for hotels, our cheapest one and most expensive one were both in Tokyo. Shinagawa is more of a business-y area so they tend to be cheaper there, but Shinagawa station is very large and you can get to anywhere from there (it is also a shinkansen stop). Shinjuku was a much more "cool" place to be and there were a lot of neat shops and fashion forward people, but it was also waaay more expensive. Shinjuku station was also.... an experience. We booked through JTB and our agent was able to find discounts to apply to the room costs. We stayed in "twin share" rooms. JTB has a booklet of the current rates in their office I believe.

Transportation is pretty reasonable if you stick to the trains. A JR pass is good if you plan on using the shinkansen a lot (like we did), but if you are just staying in Tokyo it might be better to just buy each ticket as you get on. (The JR pass cannot be used on the Tokyo subway or other rail lines). I think it was roughly 200 yen per ride on the subway. JTB is also a vendor for JR Passes (which MUST be purchased before you leave).

Food was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. Conbini have riceballs and things like that, and we always saw some sort of noodle shop around. Food can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be!

You might want to check out this budgeting guide: http://www.japan-gui...om/e/e2410.html

This post has been edited by Rori: 03 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users