Anime Central Forums: Disability (ADA) access to areas. - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Disability (ADA) access to areas. What are we going to incounter this year?

#1 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:51 AM

I know some people are going to view this as me trying to stir the pot - which I am not- but I do have a legit concern right now that I'd like to address before the convention starts. In fact its been a concern since last year, but I wanted to wait until my fears were confirmed. What is ACen's policy on people with an ADA complience pass entering areas in doors that are designated exists? Somewhat specifically, but not just limited to, the Exporia doors to the Dealers Hall?

Last year, when we were in the other hall, people with disabilities (and non disabled attendees alike) had no choice but to walk the long, crowded and frankly dangerous sidewalk and tunnels in order to access the convention center- as there was no alternative entrance. Personally I know this caused me to have a flair up of my condition- and I hardly could walk by the end of the 3 days. I was assured at the end of the convention that this year we would be our usual hall, and we are. However the major concern is now the safest/easiest entrance to it has been designated as exist only. I know I am not the only one who has relied on this entrance in years past as the way to get into the hall without the fear of getting knocked down and trampled by the crowds. The sad fact is the majority of people dont really care about those who may not be as agile as them. Especially for people in my case. I don't appear disabled to the visible eye, though many people on here and involved with ACen can attest that I am. I had a particularly bad indecent last year, and had to go to IRT management (Thanatos I believe?) to get it resolved and then I still had issues Sunday morning - though I had a very nice person from Exhibit Hall staff (I think I was told his name was James??) come to my rescue. I really really really dont want to have any drama this year. I just want to have a fun time, but in order to do this it has to be safe for me and the others involved. Is there anyway that we can get some kind of official ruling on this?

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 09 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#2 User is offline   Smokey Z 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65193

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 09 April 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

I know some people are going to view this as me trying to stir the pot - which I am not- but I do have a legit concern right now that I'd like to address before the convention starts. In fact its been a concern since last year, but I wanted to wait until my fears were confirmed. What is ACen's policy on people with an ADA complience pass entering areas in doors that are designated exists? Somewhat specifically, but not just limited to, the Exporia doors to the Dealers Hall.

Last year, when we were in the other hall, people with disabilities (and non disabled attendees alike) had no choice but to walk the long, crowded and frankly dangerous sidewalk and tunnels in order to access the convention center- as there was no alternative entrance. Personally I know this caused me to have a flair up of my condition- and I hardly could walk by the end of the 3 days. I was assured at the end of the convention that this year we would be our usual hall, and we are. However the major concern is now the safest/easiest entrance to it has been designated as exist only. I know I am not the only one who has relied on this entrance in years past as the way to get into the hall without the fear of getting knocked down and trampled by the crowds. The sad fact is the majority of people dont really care about those who may not be as agile as them. Especially for people in my case. I don't appear disabled to the visible eye, though many people on here and involved with ACen can attest that I am. I had a particularly bad indecent last year, and had to go to IRT management (Thanatos I believe?) to get it resolved and then I still had issues Sunday morning - though I had a very nice person from Exhibit Hall staff (I think I was told his name was James??) come to my rescue. I really really really dont want to have any drama this year. I just want to have a fun time, but in order to do this it has to be safe for me and the others involved. Is there anyway that we can get some kind of official ruling on this?

I'll be watching this thread with great interest.
Founder of Anime Central's Special Needs Department (Retired)

#3 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

View PostSmokey Z, on 09 April 2014 - 06:52 AM, said:

I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

I'm sure you will Smokey. <3
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#4 User is offline   MagnusBlue 

• Venue Relations Chair
  • Pip
  • Group: Officer
  • Member No.: 58758

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 09 April 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

I know some people are going to view this as me trying to stir the pot - which I am not- but I do have a legit concern right now that I'd like to address before the convention starts. In fact its been a concern since last year, but I wanted to wait until my fears were confirmed. What is ACen's policy on people with an ADA complience pass entering areas in doors that are designated exists? Somewhat specifically, but not just limited to, the Exporia doors to the Dealers Hall?

At this time, there is no plan to allow attendee/staff entrance through these doors. The only current exception is for emergency services personnel, both private and public. Due to the flow of foot traffic through those doors, and the congestion block up in that hallway, the doors were switched to, exit only.

If any change to this policy is made, it will be made public. We appologize for any inconvenience they may cause during our event.
Michael A Falco
Venue Relations Chair to the Finance Committee 2014-2015
Midwest Animation Promotion Society

Hotel & Convention Site Relations Officer (HCSR) 2011-2014
Convention Operations Department Head 2010-2011
Anime Central (ACen) 2009-2014

#5 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Who do I need to go to escalate this? We are talking about danger not inconvience.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 09 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

#6 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

Please consider the following:

1) We will be having over 30,000 attendees and vendors this year. A lot of them will be going out of mostly that one door to get out. It's not just a convenience either, but also a safety issue when people are going both ways.

2) Magnus/Falco -is- the escalation. He has the top word in this, as he is a con officer and the hotel/grounds liason. As someone with severe full back nerve damage and as a staffer that has to dart absolutely everywhere, I do agree that it would be beneficial for everyone involved if there were a quicker way into the dealer's hall/panel areas. If something does become available, we can all be rest assured that they'll let us know asap.

#7 User is offline   MagnusBlue 

• Venue Relations Chair
  • Pip
  • Group: Officer
  • Member No.: 58758

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 09 April 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Who do I need to go to escalate this? We are talking about danger not inconvience.

As the Hotel & Convention Site Relations Officer for Anime Central, the policy question you posed has been escalated through the entire chain of command regarding policies that affect both the convention center and all of the hotels.

You say that it is dangerous to have to walk along the side walk, or through the enclosed walkways above the roads. But some danger would still be present when you are trying to walk against the flow of traffic that will be exiting those doors. The safest route, while long, is the enclosed walkways from the hotel to the convention center.

At our upcoming mangers meeting, this Saturday, I will be discussing your concern with all of the departments that would be affected by this policy. I make no promise that the policy will change.
Michael A Falco
Venue Relations Chair to the Finance Committee 2014-2015
Midwest Animation Promotion Society

Hotel & Convention Site Relations Officer (HCSR) 2011-2014
Convention Operations Department Head 2010-2011
Anime Central (ACen) 2009-2014

#8 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostMagnusBlue, on 09 April 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

As the Hotel & Convention Site Relations Officer for Anime Central, the policy question you posed has been escalated through the entire chain of command regarding policies that affect both the convention center and all of the hotels.

You say that it is dangerous to have to walk along the side walk, or through the enclosed walkways above the roads. But some danger would still be present when you are trying to walk against the flow of traffic that will be exiting those doors. The safest route, while long, is the enclosed walkways from the hotel to the convention center.

At our upcoming mangers meeting, this Saturday, I will be discussing your concern with all of the departments that would be affected by this policy. I make no promise that the policy will change.

I appreciate you taking the time to discuss it.

I'd also say the sky walkways are not much better then the side walks and still are dangerous. Most of the time they are extremely narrow - and over flowing with people. Usually these people are in a hurry and push to get past you if you walk slow. Also there is no where to sit and rest along the way which means that long walk can be near impossible sometimes. I'd venture to guess the were not designed to have large amounts of traffic going both ways. Please do not view them as a good option for those with disabilities.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 09 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

#9 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:46 AM

I will be watching this topic also. I have some medical conditions which among other things make it difficult/painful for me to stand/walk for long periods of time, so ACen can be difficult for me in general but I also had trouble with having to take the "long way round" to get to the convention halls. The extra walking means I may not be able to do what I want later in the day (or the 2nd/3rd days).

#10 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:38 AM

View PostKasumisty, on 21 April 2014 - 12:46 AM, said:

I will be watching this topic also. I have some medical conditions which among other things make it difficult/painful for me to stand/walk for long periods of time, so ACen can be difficult for me in general but I also had trouble with having to take the "long way round" to get to the convention halls. The extra walking means I may not be able to do what I want later in the day (or the 2nd/3rd days).

Oh believe me I'm in the same boat... Though this year it stinks even more because they are using space in there for panels.... Which means I may not get to go to them this year.

Haven't heard from Magnus that they've changed their ruling and everyone seems to think there's no hope. So yeah I wouldn't count on it... :(

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 27 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

#11 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

Looking for an update about what was discussed and decided. Also is there going to be an open maps meeting this year?

#12 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

There is every year a maps meeting. No that door will not be an entrance and an exit. It is Exit only from the Convention Hall. It is far too congested for that exit to be both, and far to unsafe for it to be both and entrance and an exit. You can enter the convention floor through the hall A entrance which is the main entrance to the Exhibit Hall.

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#13 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1559

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

We are back in Hall A, which should lessen the walk from last year significantly, but it puts us back into the position of having this traffic flow issue.

This may come off sharp, and I don't intend it to, but let me be clear: we've been talking about this for years and it isn't changing. These rules existed when I was con chair, too-- they aren't new, they are just more critical now when we're more than double the size we were my first year. Feel free to discuss it with the board, but what you're saying in this thread is that we need to do something patently unsafe as a convenience to you, and that is not a reasonable request.

We have been over and over this with our team, the convention center, Rosemont folks, etc. There is no good way to make that door bidirectional with the kind of traffic flow we have coming and going - thousands of people flow through that hall in an hour. If we allow people with passes to use it bidirectionally, we have to stop a massive crowd to do it, and the crowd bunches up, creates fire hazard levels of backup within less than a minute. I'm not exaggerating, guys, I'm trying to explain what happens. that door - that hallway - is not wide, and it simply cannot be a primary artery like you want it to be. We also cannot close that door to everyone except those with passes- it's all or nothing. We choose to make it a one directional path for that reason.

We do our best to be accommodating to all our attendees, and we go out of our way to work with our attendees with special needs. However, we will not risk attendee safety (and in this case we're talking about greater risk to the safety of the exact folks you're asking for a special accommodation for) by trying to manage that traffic into the hall through the expo. If you have mobility issues that impact your enjoyment of the event, I'd highly encourage you to get a scoot rental for the weekend - it's a lot of walking no matter what and where. Several of our staff do so, and it is an excellent short term solution - around 100 bucks for the week.
This is my signature. It is only one line.

#14 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

View PostPurplegodess, on 02 May 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

There is every year a maps meeting. No that door will not be an entrance and an exit. It is Exit only from the Convention Hall. It is far too congested for that exit to be both, and far to unsafe for it to be both and entrance and an exit. You can enter the convention floor through the hall A entrance which is the main entrance to the Exhibit Hall.

View Postsisterdiscord, on 02 May 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

We are back in Hall A, which should lessen the walk from last year significantly, but it puts us back into the position of having this traffic flow issue.

I'm not sure how you are saying this- because it wont. Itll be the exact same distance.

This may come off sharp, and I don't intend it to, but let me be clear: we've been talking about this for years and it isn't changing. These rules existed when I was con chair, too-- they aren't new, they are just more critical now when we're more than double the size we were my first year. Feel free to discuss it with the board, but what you're saying in this thread is that we need to do something patently unsafe as a convenience to you, and that is not a reasonable request.

It is not a convenience. - its a safety issue. I'm annoyed that you guys continue to assume I'm asking because its easier - no I'm asking because it IS NOT SAFE.

We have been over and over this with our team, the convention center, Rosemont folks, etc. There is no good way to make that door bidirectional with the kind of traffic flow we have coming and going - thousands of people flow through that hall in an hour. If we allow people with passes to use it bidirectionally, we have to stop a massive crowd to do it, and the crowd bunches up, creates fire hazard levels of backup within less than a minute. I'm not exaggerating, guys, I'm trying to explain what happens. that door - that hallway - is not wide, and it simply cannot be a primary artery like you want it to be. We also cannot close that door to everyone except those with passes- it's all or nothing. We choose to make it a one directional path for that reason.

We do our best to be accommodating to all our attendees, and we go out of our way to work with our attendees with special needs. However, we will not risk attendee safety (and in this case we're talking about greater risk to the safety of the exact folks you're asking for a special accommodation for) by trying to manage that traffic into the hall through the expo. If you have mobility issues that impact your enjoyment of the event, I'd highly encourage you to get a scoot rental for the weekend - it's a lot of walking no matter what and where. Several of our staff do so, and it is an excellent short term solution - around 100 bucks for the week.

$155 for 3 days which is insane. I expect ACen to work with Marks Drugs (which is the only place that rents scooters to the area) to have them there at the con. There is a $25 per way delivery charge. If ACen arranges some kind of group rate that may be possible. Of course thats out for this year.

----

Further more why am I being basically yelled at for this? I simply asked for an update after Magnus said he would talk to the DH's. - I asked about the board meeting because he is a board member. I dont expect anything I say will change the way you guys decide to run the con. I came to that conclusion long ago.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 02 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

#15 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

That's pretty pricey. Medical supply places rent them between $75-150 a week, usually. Might be a wash because of the need to transport it to the site. Or talk to your doc and see if you can get it prescribed and covered by insurance on a short term basis. Any body able to find better rates?

#16 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Note: this is not an endorsement by me or acen. Just the results of a hasty googlin'.

http://www.mobility-...ent-rental.aspx

#17 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

View Postsisterdiscord, on 02 May 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

That's pretty pricey. Medical supply places rent them between $75-150 a week, usually. Might be a wash because of the need to transport it to the site. Or talk to your doc and see if you can get it prescribed and covered by insurance on a short term basis. Any body able to find better rates?

Its $35 per day or $90 a week. Smokey is the only one Ive known to get them before - and he's the one who pointed me to them. If someone finds something else great. - Otherwise I'm just SOL on the whole part of the convention that takes place outside of the Hyatt.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 02 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

#18 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

View Postsisterdiscord, on 02 May 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

Note: this is not an endorsement by me or ACen. Just the results of a hasty googlin'.

http://www.mobility-...ent-rental.aspx

It doesn't appear that they do the daily - though it could just not be listed. Is also rockford like an hour + away? Id hate to know what that costs to deliver.

#19 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

Mark Drugs no longer seems to be interested in working with us for on-site rentals. My team has been working to try and find another company that will be able to offer on-site rentals but so far we have not had any luck.
Special Needs and Compliance staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
ACen 2015: Kumon Kaito (Kamen Rider Gaim), Ian Yorkland (Kyoryuger, Rowdy Roddy Piper
Wizard World 2015 (big maybe): Jemma Simmons
Youmacon 2015: Nightcrawler (tentative), Ian Yorkland

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My cosplay / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#20 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

I realize that this is most likely not something that could be implemented this year even if it was feasible but perhaps it is something that can be brought up for next year: what about the doors that are near the loading docks that face the Hyatt? Would it be possible for one of those to be used possibly as an "accessibility entrance" or something?
I am also not asking for convenience sake, but rather because the location of the exit/entrance to the con center will have an impact on what features of the convention I will be able to attend and for how long. The more walking I have to do to get to and from events, the less time I will be able to spend at events and the more I will likely have to skip. Not because it is inconvenient but because I am limited in how much standing/walking I can do, and if I end up overdoing it, I will be unable to do a lot of the events later in the weekend and will also have to deal with the pain that results.

#21 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

View PostKasumisty, on 04 May 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

I realize that this is most likely not something that could be implemented this year even if it was feasible but perhaps it is something that can be brought up for next year: what about the doors that are near the loading docks that face the Hyatt? Would it be possible for one of those to be used possibly as an "accessibility entrance" or something?
I am also not asking for convenience sake, but rather because the location of the exit/entrance to the con center will have an impact on what features of the convention I will be able to attend and for how long. The more walking I have to do to get to and from events, the less time I will be able to spend at events and the more I will likely have to skip. Not because it is inconvenient but because I am limited in how much standing/walking I can do, and if I end up overdoing it, I will be unable to do a lot of the events later in the weekend and will also have to deal with the pain that results.

I like this idea.

#22 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

I'm guessing you're talking about these doors? http://tinypic.com/r/14nl89f/8

If so, I know that those would be overswarmed by gatherings the entire weekend and would be even more dangerous to get to for handicapped people due to the sheer number of overly excited attendees in the middle of photoshoots. If those weren't the doors, could you please correct me and describe their location better? I know the ones between the docks and the Expoteria belong to the convention center's main office and the door all the way down at the street corner in that parking lot weasel through a huge dark storage area, which is also fairly hazardous to anyone needing assistance.

#23 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

View Postcactusmomma, on 05 May 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

I'm guessing you're talking about these doors? http://tinypic.com/r/14nl89f/8

If so, I know that those would be overswarmed by gatherings the entire weekend and would be even more dangerous to get to for handicapped people due to the sheer number of overly excited attendees in the middle of photoshoots. If those weren't the doors, could you please correct me and describe their location better? I know the ones between the docks and the Expoteria belong to the convention center's main office and the door all the way down at the street corner in that parking lot weasel through a huge dark storage area, which is also fairly hazardous to anyone needing assistance.

Those doors are actually fire escape doors. They can't be used for that purpose according to the Fire Marshal and the convention center. :\

I think we have a very good solution in place to help protect all of the attendees, with Disabilities and without Disabilities, and we also made sure that it does in fact still comply with the American Disabilities Act. Using the main entrance (and wheelchair entrance) as the only entrance makes sense, and is the safest option for everyone. I also echo the sentiments described by many of our staff in this thread as well. In fact, this year should be much easier on people with Disabilities to begin with. Many of the panels are moving over to the convention center, which means there is more room to move about, more rest areas, and less worry of being knocked into or pushed into someone. There are also more elevators, escalators, and walkways that ease congestion, which should be more comfortable than the tight basement. That all being said, ACen is actually very compact and ADA friendly compared to most events around the country. Posted Image
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#24 User is offline   Smokey Z 

• Pip

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:53 PM

As I recall, there's a stairway from the hamster tube in that exit area. If someone were to come down those stairs, would they be able to enter the EH that way, or is that stairway "exit only" as well? That would at least give the ambulatory a bit of a break.

#25 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:20 PM

View PostSmokey Z, on 06 May 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

As I recall, there's a stairway from the hamster tube in that exit area. If someone were to come down those stairs, would they be able to enter the EH that way, or is that stairway "exit only" as well? That would at least give the ambulatory a bit of a break.

The stairwell is not an Exit Only, but the doorway separating the hall from that area is. This way traffic is still free from the dangerous congestion, decreases the risk of trampling in case of an Emergency (since people aren't trying to enter) (especially in the case of our attendees who have special needs), it doesn't prevent anyone from using the Expoteria, and it provides an access to the expoteria from the other hotels if someone doesn't buy a badge.

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#26 User is offline   Smokey Z 

• Pip

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:16 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on 06 May 2014 - 11:20 PM, said:

The stairwell is not an Exit Only, but the doorway separating the hall from that area is. This way traffic is still free from the dangerous congestion, decreases the risk of trampling in case of an Emergency (since people aren't trying to enter) (especially in the case of our attendees who have special needs), it doesn't prevent anyone from using the Expoteria, and it provides an access to the expoteria from the other hotels if someone doesn't buy a badge.

So that's a no on the handicap bypass then. OK, just wanted to clarify. Thanks for the quick reply.

#27 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostSmokey Z, on 07 May 2014 - 01:16 AM, said:

So that's a no on the handicap bypass then. OK, just wanted to clarify. Thanks for the quick reply.

You know the easiest thing for everyone would be to open either a loading door or the other small doors on that side though yeah they would lose aa photo shoot location they would gain an entrance. However I'm sure they already will have a reason that doesn't work.

#28 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 07 May 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

You know the easiest thing for everyone would be to open either a loading door or the other small doors on that side though yeah they would lose aa photo shoot location they would gain an entrance. However I'm sure they already will have a reason that doesn't work.

Hi Kirby,

I am pretty sure you didn't mean your post(s) to come across as smarmy, but just so you are aware, that is what a few are coming across as. :( We all know that this is a change for everyone, and we are trying our best to make sure that everyone remains safe, and still has an opportunity to enjoy the event. So I hope I am correct in assuming that it is just frustration on a changing traffic pattern that is contributing to your tone. So I want to be upfront with you, not yelling, just being honest. We actually did think about numerous options before considering altering the traffic flow into the hall from the Expoteria. Echo-ing the sentiment from previous posts, this is something we needed to do to keep people safe. We can't justify, knowingly placing any attendee at risk, and our attendee's with special needs were also the ones at the greatest risk using the previous traffic plan (and would still be if we continued to use that doorway as an entrance/exit in any capacity).

The doors that a few others have mentioned, are actually Fire Escape Doors, and Large Loading Dock Doors. These doors have regulations on them set by the Emergency Personnel of the City of Rosemont, and State Officials. We can not endanger the entire event by disregarding city and state laws. :(

We are working tirelessly to find solutions for our attendees with special needs, and we have arguably the best DH for the Job leading our Special Needs Department right now. She is dedicated to attendees with special needs, is very good at networking with the right people to be the voice of attendees with special needs, and doesn't have the approach of a lone warrior against the world. I think it would be very disheartening to judge the event, or her dedication to her position, by this policy designed to protect everyone's safety.

So with less than week till the convention (for me at least), I think everyone affected has the opportunity to either let this ruin their experience, or get excited for the event. :) We have a bunch of new and exciting things rolling out this year, and we are extremely excited to bring them to 28,000+ of our closest friends and family (because we are all "family" right) :)

#29 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on 07 May 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

Hi Kirby,

I am pretty sure you didn't mean your post(s) to come across as smarmy, but just so you are aware, that is what a few are coming across as. :(/>/>/>/> We all know that this is a change for everyone, and we are trying our best to make sure that everyone remains safe, and still has an opportunity to enjoy the event. So I hope I am correct in assuming that it is just frustration on a changing traffic pattern that is contributing to your tone. So I want to be upfront with you, not yelling, just being honest. We actually did think about numerous options before considering altering the traffic flow into the hall from the Expoteria. Echo-ing the sentiment from previous posts, this is something we needed to do to keep people safe. We can't justify, knowingly placing any attendee at risk, and our attendee's with special needs were also the ones at the greatest risk using the previous traffic plan (and would still be if we continued to use that doorway as an entrance/exit in any capacity).

The doors that a few others have mentioned, are actually Fire Escape Doors, and Large Loading Dock Doors. These doors have regulations on them set by the Emergency Personnel of the City of Rosemont, and State Officials. We can not endanger the entire event by disregarding city and state laws. :(/>/>/>/>

We are working tirelessly to find solutions for our attendees with special needs, and we have arguably the best DH for the Job leading our Special Needs Department right now. She is dedicated to attendees with special needs, is very good at networking with the right people to be the voice of attendees with special needs, and doesn't have the approach of a lone warrior against the world. I think it would be very disheartening to judge the event, or her dedication to her position, by this policy designed to protect everyone's safety.

So with less than week till the convention (for me at least), I think everyone affected has the opportunity to either let this ruin their experience, or get excited for the event. :)/>/>/>/> We have a bunch of new and exciting things rolling out this year, and we are extremely excited to bring them to 28,000+ of our closest friends and family (because we are all "family" right) :)/>/>/>/>

I'm sure im being discussed quite a bit in the staff section of the forums. as I said in my first post I know people think I'm trying to stir the pot. I just hope nobody gets trampled on that sidewalk like I almost did last year. As far as my tone goes- I'm awAre of what it would read like to people who do not like what I have to say. Believe me though if I wanted to come across in an angry/sarcastic way I would. I'm frustrated with the whole situation. I'm frustrated with things that have been said on and off this thread. The fact that nobody really seems to understand and it sounds like it's falling on deaf ears. That they continue to say it's "inconvenience" when it's not that at all. I'm scared for my safety. The fact is I don't think I'll be attending after this year until I see some major changes and not with just disability access. Which is sad because in the past ACen had been a home away from home for me. In fact just 2 years ago I was one of ACens biggest advocates to many people who were bashing them. I know it's easier for people if I were to remain silent. I just feel it would not be the responsible thing to do. Being the opposition is never an easy thjng to be- I've lost many a friend over it. Somebody I greatly respected and admired within ACen no longer speaks to me. I hate that but it does not change how I feel.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 07 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

#30 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Double post

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 07 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users