• You cannot reply to this topic

Future cosplay construction help Chell, Portal 2

#1 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 65191

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

So this is typically the problem everyone comes across when making a Chell cosplay.

Long fall boots and a Portal gun.

I've sort of figured out the long fall boots, except the actual curved braces in back.

The Portal gun is a huge problem, buying one is far too expensive, so if someone could say an easy way to make one? I'm not used to making props.... If I can't do a Portal gun, I'll carry around a turret,

BUT DONT WORRY THIS ISNT FOR THIS ACen, SO TAKE YOUR TIME ANSWERING
ACen 2015 Cosplay-
Ymir/Mikasa Ackerman: 20% done

#2 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

For my long fall boots I used quarter inch steel we bought from Home Depot. We used a pipe bender thingy to shape it, borrowed from my dad. Then we spray painted it black. The braces held me up all day and I never slipped or bent them out of shape.

The big problem, that I'm still dealing with, is the paint job. You really need to fiberglass the boots after you're done with all the fabrication and construction, but we don't have the proper space to do it in our apartment. I'm going to be using white duct tape for now to keep it all together. When you walk around in the boots the leather gives a little and the paint and bondo starts to crack. The best long fall boots that I've seen were fiberglassed, so I know it turns out the best when done that way.

Here is the tutorial we followed: http://raritarous.tu...ged/longfalldiy

Also it's near impossible to get my foot out of the boot, and if it was fiberglassed I might not even be able to slip my foot in. I think making the black heel removable would solve that problem though.

It's not an easy or inexpensive endeavor. Lucky for me the boots I got were on super clearance, so I didn't feel bad at all having to cut them all up.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#3 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostJujuFox, on 06 April 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

For my long fall boots I used quarter inch steel we bought from Home Depot. We used a pipe bender thingy to shape it, borrowed from my dad. Then we spray painted it black. The braces held me up all day and I never slipped or bent them out of shape.

The big problem, that I'm still dealing with, is the paint job. You really need to fiberglass the boots after you're done with all the fabrication and construction, but we don't have the proper space to do it in our apartment. I'm going to be using white duct tape for now to keep it all together. When you walk around in the boots the leather gives a little and the paint and bondo starts to crack. The best long fall boots that I've seen were fiberglassed, so I know it turns out the best when done that way.

Here is the tutorial we followed: http://raritarous.tu...ged/longfalldiy

Also it's near impossible to get my foot out of the boot, and if it was fiberglassed I might not even be able to slip my foot in. I think making the black heel removable would solve that problem though.

It's not an easy or inexpensive endeavor. Lucky for me the boots I got were on super clearance, so I didn't feel bad at all having to cut them all up.

My long fall boots are actually based on split-sole jazz shoes with the laces taken out, as seen here:
http://www.danceforc...shoe-DF458.html
It's a pair of shoes I no longer use because they're too small to dance in when laced, so. I'm taking out the laces for the cosplay.

, A white layer of duct tape will be on a majority of the shoe, and I'll wear cut tube socks. Another layer of duct tape will make up the back of the boot, which is black, that connects to the straps. Over the straps will be a final layer of white tape which will read up to the back of my thigh. If you look at the official long fall boot diagram, the Synthetic Auxiliary Heel would be a few layers of material, wrapped around the part of the shoe where the sole is split.

That must've been a confusing explanation...
ACen 2015 Cosplay-

#4 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

Oh, well if you're using a normal shoe you'll have to use a strip of material for the brace instead of metal. Something like this: http://fc09.devianta...exe-d4tmgbd.jpg

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#5 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 19 April 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

Oh, well if you're using a normal shoe you'll have to use a strip of material for the brace instead of metal. Something like this: http://fc09.devianta...exe-d4tmgbd.jpg

I think a something like foam or might work, do you think it would? I mainly want to be able to move around, since the pose my GLaDOS and I might do is me crouching and her standing over me, and I dance a lot in my cosplay because [OOPS REDACTED CANT SAY MUCH QUITE YET] I also spend most of my time walking around and my friends run? A LOT. So to catch up which them I'd need... Er, walk-able boots
ACen 2015 Cosplay-

#6 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

I think foam would snap if you tried to put any weight on it.

#7 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 28 April 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

I think foam would snap if you tried to put any weight on it.

Dang. I was hoping for some sort of material that would stay stiff...
Possibly, now I his is a long shot,
I could possibly use those bendy rulers. A few black ones, and I know how to take off the measurements...
Or some other rubber-like material...
ACen 2015 Cosplay-

#8 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

You can try out that I suppose. Aluminum rods might work too if you weigh around 100 - 120 lbs, but whatever you go with you'll need to make sure you can put weight on it without breaking/deforming it.

#9 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 29 April 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

You can try out that I suppose. Aluminum rods might work too if you weigh around 100 - 120 lbs, but whatever you go with you'll need to make sure you can put weight on it without breaking/deforming it.

I'm actually a little less than 100 lbs, so I could try aluminum rods, maybe..
I'll try whatever works when I make the costume
ACen 2015 Cosplay-

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users