• You cannot reply to this topic

Chest Binder Help?

#1 User is offline   shizuka-kun 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 65164

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:14 PM

Last year, I tried binding my chest with ACE bandages for my cosplay only to find out that it hurt drastically and I could hardly breathe. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could use instead for this year?
(◡‿◡✿)
(◕‿◕✿) “What you say 'bout me”
(◕‿◕)ノ✿ “Hold my flower”
✿\(。-_-。) “Kick his butt, baby. I got yo flower."

#2 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

Don't use ACE bandages - they're meant to stabilize injuries and so have a tendency to constrict when you move. That's a really good way to injure your ribs!

Other options depend on your budget. Sports/medical adhesive tape is usually a couple bucks for a roll, can be bought anywhere, and very effective. If you plan on wearing it for a long time or if you have sensitive skin, you might want to wear an old/cheap sports bra under it to prevent skin irritation. Only use medical or sports tape, though - it's meant to go on your skin, so the adhesive isn't too irritating, and it's breathable. Pleasepleaseplease don't use duct tape or something like that; you'll give yourself blisters (which can lead to permanent scarring - ouch!) An advantage to tape is that if you're doing something with a very low neckline it's a lot easier to tape your chest in such a way that you can't see it.

If you've got a little bigger of a budget, you could also get a chest binder. Underworks sells them, and I'm sure there are other places too. These are pricier than a roll of tape, but quicker to put on and remove, gentler on the skin, and reusable. They basically smoosh your chest up to look like pecs. It's really really important that you read the sizing information and order the correct size; if it's too big it won't do you any good.

Hope that helped! ^^

#3 User is offline   vicemage 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 10902

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

There's some fairly affordable chest binders available on eBay made by the company "whatwears;" try searching for the keyword "sho les lesbian" since pretty much every listing for whatwears binders starts with that set of words followed by a description. I ordered a couple of the strapless style ones before the last convention I attended (only fit one of the two, but they were $6 apiece so I wasn't out that much for the other), and the one that fit was snug but not awful, and did a good job holding things in place.

I also have a more expensive one from TeeKingdom, but they don't have the greatest customer service for their prices. For a cheap, occasional-wear one, the whatwears ones are just fine, and if you order now you should get it in time for ACen.

#4 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

View Postshizuka-kun, on 03 April 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Last year, I tried binding my chest with ACE bandages for my cosplay only to find out that it hurt drastically and I could hardly breathe. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could use instead for this year?

It's already been said but I want to reiterate for anyone else reading this thread:

Never use ACE bandages to bind.

It's incredibly dangerous! You never want to do anything that will impair your ability to breath comfortably. Even in a corset you should be able to breath properly (in the case of corsets, if you can't, then the fit is wrong).

If you decide to get a binder from Underworks, please still be aware that it is not recommended to wear a binder for more than 8 hours. Do not ever sleep in your binder, either. If you start to experience discomfort, you should change out of it immediately.

An alternative to binders is layering two sports bras over another. It'll flatten some and should still be comfortable (just warm due to layers).

Be aware that if you're large-chested, even a binder will not give you a perfectly flat chest. Your mileage may vary.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users