• This topic is locked

Dog at con

#1 User is offline   Brightdreamer 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 1105

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

We are planning to bring our dog along to the hotel, as we've found out that the Embassy does allow pets for a meager $25 fee. (Much cheaper than boarding him for 5 days!) I'm curious to know, however, if he would be allowed in any of the con areas. I couldn't find it on the general rules page, or perhaps it was somewhere that I missed. I found rules on children and props but not pets!

He's obviously small enough to be carried, so being underfoot at the con is not going to be a problem. I'm fairly certain that we wouldn't be taking him somewhere like the dealer's room or any large events. But perhaps just while wandering around and going to photoshoots, it might be nice to be able to get him out of the room and have some time around people.

Just wanting to know the convention's official policy!

This post has been edited by Brightdreamer: 21 May 2014 - 12:15 AM

"You think so too, right?"

#2 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostBrightdreamer, on 01 April 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

Looks like the con has been "no pets" in the past (except service animals). I'm not sure if this policy has changed though.
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#3 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

View PostRori, on 01 April 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

Looks like the con has been "no pets" in the past (except service animals). I'm not sure if this policy has changed though.

And it should stay that way. As much as I love dogs and pets in general, I agree with ACen's policy.

#4 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 64919

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

Agree, dogs (unless service animals) shouldn't be at ACen.

But if I can recommend, there is a Doggy Daycare down the street from the convention center if you want your pup to get exercise while your at ACen. I'm personally dragging all 3 of my dogs to Chicago so I can keep close to them + theres no really good doggy boarding places where I live. ALSO they give new customers some really good discounts for their first stay!

Here's their website if your interested http://www.paradise4paws.com/

PS: make sure you're on the Chicago location-not Huston ;)

#5 User is offline   Grimmons 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18620

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

^My former manager's sister works at paradise4paws so I can guarantee that it's a very fun place for your dogs ^_^
ACen 2014

Bilbo Baggins
Yu Yu Hakusho - Hiei
Wizard of Oz/Oz the Great and Powerful - Wicked Witch

#6 User is offline   Brightdreamer 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:06 PM

View PostRori, on 01 April 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

Yes, but my point is that I can't find the official policy anywhere. One would think something important like this would be easy to locate on the website.

Which is why I'm asking here.

And again, we wouldn't be bringing him into small panel rooms where dog allergies would be an issue. I should have included that earlier when I mentioned we wouldn't be taking him to the dealers room or to other events.

This post has been edited by Brightdreamer: 02 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

#7 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

View PostBrightdreamer, on 02 April 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

Yes, but my point is that I can't find the official policy anywhere. One would think something important like this would be easy to locate on the website.

And again, we wouldn't be bringing him into small panel rooms where dog allergies would be an issue. I should have included that earlier when I mentioned we wouldn't be taking him to the dealers room or to other events.

Hyatt Policy is based on the pet staying with a guest.
Pet Policy and Fee
Hyatt Regency O'Hare makes traveling with your pet easy. This pet friendly hotel makes it easier for pet lovers and their four-legged friends to spend time away from home. Hyatt focuses on providing a hassle-free experience for their travelers. Pets are allowed at Hyatt Regency O'Hare, please see a list of associated fees below for pets who reside at the hotel:

$100.00 per stay up to 6 nights

An additional $100.00 "Deep Cleaning" fee from day 7 to day 30 (for a total of $200)

From day 30 on, the charge will be at the hotel's discretion

Guests will be provided an ID tag for each dog that indicates the hotel’s name and phone number. The ID tag needs to stay on the dog's collar throughout their stay. Please note, a $25 fee will be added to the guest room bill should the tag not be returned to the Front Desk.

Guest cell phone number must be provided to Front Desk in case of an emergency.

-----

I don't know where they would stand with bringing pets inside without being a guest. That is where EVA's suggestion comes into effect.

Again, that only takes the hotel's policy into consideration.

As for con policy, it isn't explicitly mentioned but that is likely because people thinking about bringing pets to a con such as this is likely very rare. Best to ask an admin for specifics.

#8 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostBrightdreamer, on 02 April 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

I understand all of that. I couldn't find an official policy either, which is why I posted that link--because it was on the same subject and was answered by staff during that particular con year.

I don't know why a staff member has not yet answered your question on the forums.

If you require a more immediate response from staff, you should try emailing customerservice@ACen.org and/or irt@ACen.org

If you have issue with information shown or not shown on the website (official or otherwise), please email webmaster@ACen.org so it can be corrected.

Although like rondo said, I suspect there isn't an explicit policy on it because its not really an issue that comes up very often.
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#9 User is offline   Brightdreamer 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

View Postevaunit01berserk, on 02 April 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Call the hotel for clarification

The hotel I'm staying at (Embassy) has a clear pet policy posted on their website ($25 pet deposit.)

Everyone else, thank you for your suggestions, I will probably email. I was just surprised because the last convention I went to (Naka-kon) had the pet policy clearly stated on their website. We were able to bring the doge to the hotel (since the hotel allowed him for a deposit, again), but he was not allowed at the convention. So we just kept him in hotel general areas but not panel rooms, which I suspect will be the case here. He'll probably go along to outdoor photoshoots and wander around the Embassy but that's about it.

He's a very chill dog and doesn't mind hanging in the room all day, but it would be nice to get him out and about occasionally.

#10 User is offline   Drezzel 

• IRT Operative
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 62366

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Howdy!
It is Illinois state law (as far as I've been told from working in retail) that unless it is a service animal, no pets are allowed. I can ask a supervisor for you, but I believe they will tell me the same, or similar, thing. Sorry!

(Your adorable doge will most likely be okay at outdoor photoshoots, but I'll send a message and get back to you on that.~)

Edit 1: I'm waiting on confirmation or not from a supervisor, but here's what I've thus far gathered from another staffer: As far as I know pets are only allowed in the guest rooms and common areas. Not in meeting rooms and the ballrooms. :)

This post has been edited by Drezzel: 03 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

"Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect & I don't live to be; But before you start pointing fingers, Make sure your hands are clean."
Bob Marley

#11 User is offline   Brightdreamer 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostDrezzel, on 03 April 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

Howdy!
It is Illinois state law (as far as I've been told from working in retail) that unless it is a service animal, no pets are allowed. I can ask a supervisor for you, but I believe they will tell me the same, or similar, thing. Sorry!

(Your adorable doge will most likely be okay at outdoor photoshoots, but I'll send a message and get back to you on that.~)

Edit 1: I'm waiting on confirmation or not from a supervisor, but here's what I've thus far gathered from another staffer: As far as I know pets are only allowed in the guest rooms and common areas. Not in meeting rooms and the ballrooms. :)/>

Thank you! I appreciate your clarification. For future conventions it might be good to have this in the rules on the website too! :)

#12 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostDrezzel, on 03 April 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

Howdy!

Edit 1: I'm waiting on confirmation or not from a supervisor, but here's what I've thus far gathered from another staffer: As far as I know pets are only allowed in the guest rooms and common areas. Not in meeting rooms and the ballrooms. :)/>

Hi Drezzel,

There is no law in Illinois that dictates that pets can't stay in hotels. In fact, this site names a large number of hotels in our lovely state that are pet-friendly. (Westin hotels, in particular, are known for this feature.)
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#13 User is offline   Drezzel 

• IRT Operative
  • Pip

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 03 April 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

Hi Drezzel,

There is no law in Illinois that dictates that pets can't stay in hotels. In fact, this site names a large number of hotels in our lovely state that are pet-friendly. (Westin hotels, in particular, are known for this feature.)

Oh no, I must've mistyped. I meant in stores. I know they can be kept at hotels. My manager is where I'm getting that info, but I admit he isn't the end all know all. Thanks for correcting me. :)
"Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect & I don't live to be; But before you start pointing fingers, Make sure your hands are clean."
Bob Marley

#14 User is offline   MagnusBlue 

• HCSR Officer
  • Pip
  • Group: Officer
  • Member No.: 58758

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

View PostBrightdreamer, on 01 April 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

We are planning to bring our chihuahua along to the hotel, as we've found out that the Embassy does allow pets for a meager $25 fee. (Much cheaper than boarding him for 5 days!) I'm curious to know, however, if he would be allowed in any of the con areas. I couldn't find it on the general rules page, or perhaps it was somewhere that I missed. I found rules on children and props but not pets!

He's obviously small enough to be carried, so being underfoot at the con is not going to be a problem. I'm fairly certain that we wouldn't be taking him somewhere like the dealer's room or any large events. But perhaps just while wandering around and going to photoshoots, it might be nice to be able to get him out of the room and have some time around people.

Our policy is that we do not allow animals in our function spaces, unless the animals in question are service animals.
Michael A Falco
Venue Relations Chair to the Finance Committee 2014-2015
Midwest Animation Promotion Society

Hotel & Convention Site Relations Officer (HCSR) 2011-2014
Convention Operations Department Head 2010-2011
Anime Central (ACen) 2009-2014

#15 User is offline   Brightdreamer 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:15 PM

View Postevaunit01berserk, on 03 April 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Since you seem to be avoiding calling them, I went and called. Answer was not allowed in the convention center or general hotel areas unless it is a certified service animal. It is to stay in the guest room unless transporting to outside areas.

wow r00d

Did I ever say I wasn't going to call? I said I was going to email the convention for *their* policies.

Thank you to everyone else who has answered my questions efficiently and *politely*.

#16 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostDrezzel, on 03 April 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Oh no, I must've mistyped. I meant in stores. I know they can be kept at hotels. My manager is where I'm getting that info, but I admit he isn't the end all know all. Thanks for correcting me. :)/>

I don't think there is any law against dogs in stores (or hotels)? I know a lot of stores that allow dogs. Generally it is up to the owner/manager whether they allow pets or not. I'm pretty sure it is only restaurants and similar places that serve food where the health code prohibits animals (except for service animals.)

#17 User is offline   Drezzel 

• IRT Operative
  • Pip

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

View PostKasumisty, on 21 April 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

I don't think there is any law against dogs in stores (or hotels)? I know a lot of stores that allow dogs. Generally it is up to the owner/manager whether they allow pets or not. I'm pretty sure it is only restaurants and similar places that serve food where the health code prohibits animals (except for service animals.)

I guess my store manager just doesn't like pets and told me that because he figured I didn't know anyway. ;w; The more I know. I'm from WI and I'm quite unfamiliar with those laws. My bad.
Bob Marley

#18 User is offline   Niroz51 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61786

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

I saw someone walking around with a white chihuahua in a black fur coat ._.
They didn't get yelled at, unless that was you.

#19 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

...Why would you put a little dog like that in such a stressful and potentially dangerous situation?
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#20 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 19 May 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

...Why would you put a little dog like that in such a stressful and potentially dangerous situation?

I saw him too, early in the morning. If he was brought into a crowded area that poor thing would have been kicked so many times by unaware people just trying to walk past. :<

I have seen small dogs like chihuahuas used as service dogs to help calm a person with a disorder or disability, but they were kept in a carrying case and were marked as a service dog with a sign on the case. I don't know if this was a service dog or not, but it wasn't right to be bringing him around the hall floor like that where he could be accidentally harmed.

Another service dog I saw was a yellow lab. He was being good and was wearing his proper service dog attire.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#21 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 64919

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 19 May 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

I saw him too, early in the morning. If he was brought into a crowded area that poor thing would have been kicked so many times by unaware people just trying to walk past. :<

I have seen small dogs like chihuahuas used as service dogs to help calm a person with a disorder or disability, but they were kept in a carrying case and were marked as a service dog with a sign on the case. I don't know if this was a service dog or not, but it wasn't right to be bringing him around the hall floor like that where he could be accidentally harmed.

Another service dog I saw was a yellow lab. He was being good and was wearing his proper service dog attire.

I saw the service dog too the owner kept calling him/her Layla? or something close. She kept barking at me when I was in my costume lol.. D=

#22 User is offline   Brightdreamer 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:04 AM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 19 May 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostJujuFox, on 19 May 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

I can answer for the owner on this one, as I roomed with her this weekend. The "little dog" you speak of is a white chihuahua, yes, and is a registered support animal. He is also used to such "stressful and potentially dangerous situations" as you say. He is accustomed to crowds, knows how to behave himself, and is calm and collected around strangers... which is what he's *trained* to do. When and if the area became too crowded, the owner *did* pick him up and carry him, but there was never a situation in which the dog was in danger of being trampled, nor did he bother anyone at the con. (I don't know how you judge "being good" but not once did this little dog bark at *anyone* at the convention, costume or no.) On the contrary, he was often the center of attention due to his costumes (Ren from DMMd, Boba Fett, etc), and performed his duties as a *support dog* in the convention.

We had been working on getting him registered as a service animal before the con, and his clearance had just gone through, which is why I had asked the questions up above... once he was registered, the problems became moot. :)

He was also cleared with IRT and the support services at the con, FYI. He also did wear his support dog tag at all times, though it may not have always been visible. (It is not required that support dogs wear a "vest" or whatever "proper service attire" that you think is necessary, that's just for convenience.) The owner had a registered service dog badge that she wore as well, plus an extra clearance badge from the con.

Moral of the story: don't judge unless you know the situation, and don't go saying things are "not right" unless you know every aspect of what's going on. Cool? Awesome.

This post has been edited by Brightdreamer: 21 May 2014 - 12:16 AM

#23 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for clearing that up!

I tried to not come off as judgmental(I really need to work on my tact sometimes so I apologize for being a terse and coming off that way), but I was just worried about the safety of such a small animal at a con where even I am constantly being run-into, pushed, shoved, and kicked all accidentally because it can get so crowded and hectic. I never called him a "little dog" either, I said "small dogs like chihuahuas". As I said before, I didn't know if he was a service dog or not, but I do know that some small breeds are trained to be service animals like in the example I gave. I only saw him go past once, walking on the leash, when there weren't many people around. I just hoped that he wasn't going to be left walking on the leash in crowded areas where he could be harmed. Glad that he wasn't.

The reason service dogs wear vests and identifying marks is so that people leave them alone and let them do their job. They're not pets, they are service animals, and if you don't make that known someone could mistake a service animal for a pet and try to pet him without asking or interfere with what he is supposed to be doing. Legally she doesn't even need to provide certification or identifying markers, but I'm glad that she did make sure to register him and get him completely cleared with con staff.

As for the other dog "being good" I just meant that the lab I saw looked to be behaving himself properly. He wasn't freaking out, barking, pulling at his leash. He seemed clam when I observed him. Perhaps later someones cosplay upset him, or maybe he was still in training. Could be any number of reasons. I don't know.

The main reason I responded here is because I've seen animal abuse, especially with dogs, and it breaks my heart. Dogs being dragged behind vehicles, choke chains, left in cars on a hot day, etc. Pet owners can be so oblivious to the harm they put their animals in, so I just have this sense of worry when I see or think of how an animal brought into a large con could potentially be harmed. I was worried for him if he wasn't being treated properly, and if he wasn't a trained service animal. After all, it'd be easy to sneak in a dog that small or lie about them being an actual service dog. I was just concerned for his safety.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#24 User is offline   Brightdreamer 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostJujuFox, on 21 May 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

Thanks for clearing that up!

I tried to not come off as judgmental(I really need to work on my tact sometimes so I apologize for being a terse and coming off that way), but I was just worried about the safety of such a small animal at a con where even I am constantly being run-into, pushed, shoved, and kicked all accidentally because it can get so crowded and hectic. I never called him a "little dog" either, I said "small dogs like chihuahuas". As I said before, I didn't know if he was a service dog or not, but I do know that some small breeds are trained to be service animals like in the example I gave. I only saw him go past once, walking on the leash, when there weren't many people around. I just hoped that he wasn't going to be left walking on the leash in crowded areas where he could be harmed. Glad that he wasn't.

The reason service dogs wear vests and identifying marks is so that people leave them alone and let them do their job. They're not pets, they are service animals, and if you don't make that known someone could mistake a service animal for a pet and try to pet him without asking or interfere with what he is supposed to be doing. Legally she doesn't even need to provide certification or identifying markers, but I'm glad that she did make sure to register him and get him completely cleared with con staff.

As for the other dog "being good" I just meant that the lab I saw looked to be behaving himself properly. He wasn't freaking out, barking, pulling at his leash. He seemed clam when I observed him. Perhaps later someones cosplay upset him, or maybe he was still in training. Could be any number of reasons. I don't know.

The main reason I responded here is because I've seen animal abuse, especially with dogs, and it breaks my heart. Dogs being dragged behind vehicles, choke chains, left in cars on a hot day, etc. Pet owners can be so oblivious to the harm they put their animals in, so I just have this sense of worry when I see or think of how an animal brought into a large con could potentially be harmed. I was worried for him if he wasn't being treated properly, and if he wasn't a trained service animal. After all, it'd be easy to sneak in a dog that small or lie about them being an actual service dog. I was just concerned for his safety.

Thank you for your reply, and I apologize if I seemed testy as well. For the most part everyone was very welcoming to the little guy at the con, though we did get a few strange looks until people saw the support dog tag.

On another note, this chihuahua is actually a former show dog, and so was already used to being around crowds, making his transition into a support dog very easy. He's used to walking close to his owner and being petted and prodded by strangers, too. Unlike some service dogs, he's okay to be petted as well... but people should always ask!

#25 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

You probably should have mentioned why the dog was being brought in the first place, even if he wasn't registered yet, if you didn't want people to make assumptions. Usually when people have a good reason to bring an animal, it's mentioned. There are a lot of extremely stupid pet owners out there, so thoughts along the lines of "I wuv my baby too much to leave him at home, he'll totally be fine to come with me!" aren't something I consider to be impossible, or even improbable. I'm glad to hear that wasn't the case and that everything went well, but if you don't want assumptions to be made, you should clarify in the first place. Especially given how passionate people can get about animals and how many people out there are absolutely horrible to animals.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#26 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

Guys? It's been established this was a service animal. I can confirm this as I was right there when we gave them one of our passes. It was taken care of at con; no need to wag digital fingers no pun intended. (And at any rate there's nothing wrong with finding out the hotel & convention policy in general on animals, esp. since Westins & some other hotels in our region are notably & well-known to be pet-friendly.)

I can bring up perhaps bolding, emphasizing, or adding to notation in our policies on service animals & pets at con for future reference, but I'm not sure what else there really is to say...
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users