Anime Central Forums: HADOKEN! An Intro to Fighting Games - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

HADOKEN! An Intro to Fighting Games Fighting Games 101 for Beginners

#1 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63372

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

A friend and I are mocking up a panel that introduces basic fighting game concepts to beginners. Motions, terminology, character archetypes, and things of that nature will be covered. With Ultra Street Fighter 4 coming out and a variety of other new fighting games on the market, we want to give neophytes a heads up on the game so that they're not lost in the muddle of random shoryukens, throws, and excessive jumps.

I'm starting up a non-profit that started on running fighting game tournaments for the troops overseas so I've taught various fighting games to people from all walks of life and skill levels. It brings me great joy and it's a lot of fun. Our organization is almost two years old now and we've branched out to many different things, but I still love teaching fighting games to newer players.

The panel is still pending (we submitted the request back in December), but if all goes well we're hoping to get a moderate turn-out. We'll try to give some people hands on time with the game along with our presentation. We're going to keep it simple and stick to 2D fighting games, but many of the concepts can apply to 3D fighters as well. Here's hoping it's approved!
Everything I say is either true or extremely handsome!

#2 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Hope ya get approve. I've been playing fighting games for nearly all my life but it's good to have a refresher course every once and while and learn new thigns.
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#3 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

I think a lot of the "advanced" folk will snub what we have to offer, but there's some lingo out there that I think everyone should know at the very basic levels. Learning it and then seeing it demonstrated is fun for me and I want to bring that to an audience. I love teaching games and I really like it when someone I taught places well in one of my tournaments.

#4 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Looks like our panel has been approved! More details as we get them!

#5 User is offline   Middle East Guy 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 27323

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

Just wanted to say Hello. I am a tournament player who attended your panel, and while it was aimed at beginners I still enjoyed it as I thought you two were both hilarious

So good job guys and thanks for the entertainment

#6 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Thank you very much for the feedback! We hope to improve things next year and possibly go into some intermediate topics in a separate panel. Of course the jokes were for the veterans.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users