• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Greetings~ Will be my first ACen!

#1 User is offline   Fishay 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65074

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hello, I've been attending and have been on staff for smaller anime and sci-fi conventions in the MN/IA/WI area for a decade now, and I let my friends convince me to go witness a larger con! It'd be a lie if I said I wasn't excited. Any idea the average temperature/weather of the area that time of year? Anything I should particularly look forward to or avoid?

Thanks and good to meet you!
----2014 cosplays-----
Zidane Tribal - Complete
Gadget Hackwrench - Complete
Toothless - Complete
http://www.cosplay.com/member/58026/

#2 User is offline   blackcat18 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 16853

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

dont go for any costumes with a lot of fabric involved...last year ACen it was about 80 degrees...and with the crowds and on and off air conditioning i suggest lightweight fabrics and lots of gatorade (gatorade was my saving grace last ACen for sure) and depending on the hotel you're staying at i suggest an umbrella for the weekend...my last 5 acens its rained pretty severely on the last day

the only thing to really avoid would be long lines for panels and events...show up early and you get way better seats ;)

other than that i'm sure you'll have a blast <3
ACen 2015

Female Otoya Ittoki- 100% done
Leafeon ginjinka- 100% done
Kaoru Hitachin - 50% done (need jacket and tie yet...)

#3 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Chicago be tricky so be prepared for all kinds of weather. Follow the forums as the convention is nearing everyone will post the weather predictions from all kinds of places. Don't forget your water bottle and snacks! They will come in handy.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#4 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hello and welcome! I agree with MsLovelyCookie- you need to be prepared for all kinds of weather. Though usually the weather is really nice at that time of year (assuming you prefer warmer over cold) - I've seen it go the opposite direction. Air conditioning is usually fine in the actual areas of the convention - but the hallways, particularly the hampster tunnels that connect the hotels to the convention center, can get very hot. I recommend water and some kind of nutrional snack be with you at all times. They charge alot for bottles of water/drinks of any kind/food at the kiosks in the convention center/ - so best to stock up from a store if your able to. Umbrella's/Ponchos are a necessity as its already been stated.

I'd also like to recommend you go to the annual forum meet and greet on the Thursday before the convention. Everyone is welcome, and its a great place to meet people! You can find the link to the thread in my signature! ↓
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#5 User is offline   MCP 3.3 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 64951

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 23 February 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

Chicago be tricky so be prepared for all kinds of weather. Follow the forums as the convention is nearing everyone will post the weather predictions from all kinds of places. Don't forget your water bottle and snacks! They will come in handy.

This exactly! I have been to Acens where it was mid 50's for 3 years in a row (mostly due to wind) and then randomly get super hot the next year. It was awful when I did my Hellboy cosplay and it hit 80. Oh, the horror, the red melty horror.
END OF LINE.

#6 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hello! Welcome!

The weather could be anything, so keep an eye on the forecast as the con gets closer, and be prepared to adjust accordingly. 2012 was freezing and I was really glad I had a costume with layers, whereas in 2013 I tried to stay indoors as much as I could because it was just so dang hot.

Look over the schedule and if there's anything you really must do, plan for it in advance. Because ACen is such a big con, there are often long lines for popular events, so make sure you include time to get in line when you make your plan for the day. If you have a smartphone, the guidebook app is really helpful (assuming they do that again this year,) Try to keep a bottle of water and maybe a small snack, like a granola bar or apple, with you - the convention center's food is expensive, and even if you're staying at the Hyatt it can take quite a while to go back to your room.

In any case, you're in for an awesome time!

#7 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63372

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

Hello and welcome!

Be mindful that it could rain. Check the weather before you go.

If you have a smartphone or are in the company of someone with one, you should totally check out the guidebook app the others mentioned. Other than that, look forward to a great time. If possible, try to attend one of the meet and greets prior to the convention. I made a lot of great friends at them and I'll be seeing them again this year!
Everything I say is either true or extremely handsome!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users