• This topic is locked

Bringing The Young Ones Tiny Children at Cons

#1 User is offline   slinkysan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 20384

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

I have been going to ACen for the past 6 years and I always have a blast. The last few years I've started to see more people bringing their children along for the fun. I recently been licensed for Foster Care and I have my infant nephew placed with me (the whole situation is VERY complicated, so please don't ask). I've been thinking about bringing him along to ACen with me this year.

So my question is for the parents and older siblings out there: How do you do ACen with a small child? What do you pack and how do you plan out the day? does ACen have a good number of changing stations around? Any tips or advice in general?
2013 Cosplays
Friday: Moonstuck Woona
Saturday: Princess Luna

2014 Cosplay
Friday: Rule 63 Big Mac
Saturday: Princess Luna

#2 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

The only changing stations are in the women's restrooms, bringing the total to about 4 in the Hyatt. I'm not certain how many would be in the con center, as that depends on which halls we have rented out this year. Your stroller will be your lifeline as it will be able to carry diaper bag, all meals, clothing changes, and every other need the weebit will need. You will definitely want to give the baby time quiet time, as even the rest areas (the tables that are set out) have people chatting at all hours and/or have entertainment playing. To my knowledge, there is no Children's Programming room anymore (unless someone else can clarify this), so your best bet for finding a place to allow your nephew to destress and unwind every now and again would probably be one of the ADA/Special Needs rooms. There is an elevator going from the ground level to the basement between Kinkos and the cafe, but don't 100% rely on it working the entire weekend. A good pair of noise cancelling headphones for the baby would be a great idea if you're planning on going to any of the large cosplay meets, concerts, or events. (I hate to have to put this one in here, but it's to cover all bases..so this is not directed to you personally, but in general.) Please refrain from bringing little ones to the rave. The overstimulation and pounding music will more than likely hurt them in the long run.

#3 User is offline   TheatreGirl79 

• ADA Compliance ADH
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 22301

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Special Needs does have a quiet room in both of our locations, one in the Stephens Hall A, and one office in the Hyatt.

#4 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

There is Childrens Programming events run by Panel Programming. Changing Stations are in the bathrooms, there are many.

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#5 User is offline   Fiz 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 64108

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

I realize I'm late to the party but I thought I'd weigh in.

I've been going to ACen for 5 years now & my son's first ACen was when he was 8 weeks old. Granted not much for him to do there but we got some good pics. At just over a year old, (last year in fact) he was able to grasp more & had a great time. People with costumes that might scare children went out of their way to avoid him, (No need since my wife is a professional costume designer/make up artist & I'm her guinea pig so he's been around many a demon/zombie/monster/etc... but the thought was nice.)we had no trouble finding changing areas, and there were several rooms that held activities for smaller children.

In short, I've had my young son there all day everyday for the past two years and found it to be a good experience.

#6 User is offline   Wafflashizzles 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62412

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

ACen has the fancy part of the con center rented out this year I think, and there are almost certainly changing stations in the women's bathrooms on the second floor there.

As far as activities go I think ACen has a daycare-type thing somewhere in the con... could be wrong. I know there are a good deal of children's programs too. Hope this helps!

#7 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostWafflashizzles, on 19 March 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

ACen has the fancy part of the con center rented out this year I think, and there are almost certainly changing stations in the women's bathrooms on the second floor there.

As far as activities go I think ACen has a daycare-type thing somewhere in the con... could be wrong. I know there are a good deal of children's programs too. Hope this helps!

I'm fairly confident there's no daycare- I believe even the children's programming room was done away with last year- and they also had quite a bit less of the actual children's programming.- though the last part about the actual programming itself could be wrong.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users