• You cannot reply to this topic

Tara Strong says No to ACen?

#1 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

While I was reading through an interview of Tara Strong today I saw this question and answer:

Question/Comment:
You should come to Anime Central up in Chicago! We'd love to see you! My boyfriend has worked cons that you've been to and he says the same thing I suspected; you seem like a fun, generous person to be around.

Answer:
Re: Anime Central <cute voice> NO!

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but uhhh.. that seems like kind of a strong reaction. :/ Has she been a guest here before that's had a bad experience, is our reputation really that bad in the VA world, or am I taking it out of context.

I'm just curious because I'm nosy, I don't really follow VA's that often.

This post has been edited by Iris: 09 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

#2 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:19 AM

I'll be honest and say this is either her trying to voice herself like Twilight Sparkle or some other character trying to be cute in her rejection, she realizes her work on MLP would not fit well with this con, or she knows if she goes to a con with 5000+ MLP fans she's not going to make it out alive.

But then again I'm not her spokesperson, so...
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#3 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

Maybe she's not a fan of cons. I noticed she never answered that person on reddit who asked what her favorite con was.

#4 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

I'm honestly a fan of Tara Strong for her VA work, but I've never considered asking her to be a guest at ACen since most of her work has been outside of Japanese shows. It is a pretty interesting reaction; though, I don't think we can really read much into it.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#5 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, it was the reaction itself that surprised me more then anything (and made me wonder if there was a reason behind it) because it seemed kind of I don't know.. strong? But you never really know I guess, it's so easy to read tones into written words that weren't intended.

#6 User is offline   Twilight Sparkle 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 62967

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:04 AM

Tara has been burned a lot by the cons with all the brony cons either being total crap or having some sort of money drama and I feel like this has effected her opinions on cons a lot. But it makes me really sad that she wouldn't want to come to ACen,a con that actually does have a lot of pony fans and cosplayers. And even completely disregarding her voicing Twilight, she is also the voice the main character of Lollipop Chainsaw, a US made game that has a lot of popularity over in Japan. Hell she voiced background characters in two Ghibli movies. My opinion is a grain of sand, however, and obviously my handle reveals my obvious bias to want to meet her.
Planned 2013 Cosplays!
MLP - Twilight Sparkle
Magi - Scheherazade, Ren Gyokuen, fem!Alibaba Saluja
Frozen - Anna
Homestuck - Damara Megido, Aradia Megido

#7 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

It'd make no sense for her to come anyway since she hasn't done much of anything that'd be relevant here. No, Lollipop Chainsaw doesn't count, since it wasn't originally Japanese. My guess is that she reacted like that because she's had VERY bad convention experiences in general before, and going to something as big as ACen probably sounds nightmarish. It's probably also partially due to knowing that not all of the attendees would be happy about her being there. And finally, it's worth noting that a lot of what drives guests to want or not want to go to any given convention isn't necessarily the convention itself, but the city it's held in. It's possible that she just really doesn't like Chicago.

Only Tara herself really knows the answer, but there are so many possible explanations that I wouldn't worry about it too much.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#8 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

Nah son she wouldn't be fit for ACen anyway. And with all the demand for MLP cons, another big con is the last thing she needs. I like MLP and all but bronies can be insane so I don't blame her if she is trying to avoid the insanity.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

#9 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

I'm just gonna be a copycat and say maybe she had some bad experinces with conventions with money and creepers. Can't blame her.
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#10 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 18 February 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

My guess is that she reacted like that because she's had VERY bad convention experiences in general before...

About a year ago, Las Pegasus Unicon happened. Tara Strong was one of many celebrity guests there. There's an extensive article on The Round Stable in which they discuss the convention's many problems...

Since then, according to what I read on EQD (comments and all), she has been to both San Diego and Chicago Comic Con, and a Los Angeles event called Comicaze. During April 2014, she will be a guest of honor at Babscon in San Francisco.

#11 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

Yeah she's no stranger to cons so that is a weird reaction. Maybe money reasons? Noticeably. Most of the cons listed by DorkAtLarge you have to pay to meet guests while ACen tends to avoid that. LOL

This post has been edited by STVO: 27 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#12 User is offline   ninjaxllama 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17215

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

I feel like saying that she isn't fit to be at ACen because she hasn't done anime or Japanese related media is a little irrelevant in itself nowadays. There are so many people that dress up as characters outside of anime at ACen that it shows the expansive interests of con goers. She has been in so many recognizable shows that I'm sure no one would complain if she was a guest. I just don't think expanding the guest type should really be out of the question. Maybe if ACen showed interest in her, she wouldn't actually have this type of reaction. But who knows. I just don't think everything she be limited to just anime anymore as other Anime cons are expanding their entertainment types as well.
[color="#9932CC"]
ACen 2011 cosplay: Kakashi and Hiro from Gravitation
ACen 2012 cosplay: Hotohori from Fushigi Yugi, Kakashi, Tseng from ff7
ACen 2013 cosplay: Professor Chaos from South Park, Raven from Teen Titans, and Scott Pilgrim
ACen 2014 cosplay: Butters from South Park Stick of Truth, Him from Powerpuff Girls, and Scott Pilgrim
I am the Forum Llama...Beware my cute and fuzzy exterior

#13 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

^read above for complaints if she was invited as a guest. ACen is ANIME central. They need to keep with anime and Japanese related guests - or change their name to fandom central- because that's all it will be.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#14 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 13 April 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

ACen is ANIME central.

Anime Central, as in Anime is the central focus..but it isn't the only topic at hand and it isn't going to be changing.

This post has been edited by rondo: 14 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

#15 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

You should see some of the panels at ACen this year. While the majority are Anime or Japanese video game centered, there's plenty that aren't as well. I honestly don't care if they do a few that dip outside the norm and I would more than welcome Tara Strong and any other popular voice actor or actress be it American Cartoons or anime. If we start seeing Lou Ferrigno and "Wrestling Superstar" Virgil signing autographs, then go ahead and complain. LOL
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users