Anime Central Forums: Concealed Carry in Hotels & Con center - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Concealed Carry in Hotels & Con center Any signs up?

#1 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Just wondering if anyone knows if the hotels and the convention center are going to prohibit concealed carry? They have to display the proper signage(https://ccl4illinois...ic/Signage.aspx), so I'm wondering if anyone who has been there recently has seen the signs up?

Also, I just found out that even if a place prohibits concealed carry you still may keep your gun in your locked vehicle.

And yes, I am quite aware that ACen prohibits firearms, but I'm asking about the properties that ACen is held at.

Learn more about CC in IL here(because knowledge is power!): https://ccl4illinois...ublic/Home.aspx
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#2 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

just gunna ask...do you "want" guns in a tightly confined place with over 20K people and lots of morons with small brains? (not a comment about gun owners. about people in general, look at the forums and all the stories of the stupid crap people have done at the con) Do we need some jackass going in there and getting into a pissing match and coming back with a weapon because he was allowed to bring in past "point A-C" and now at point D he's told "no guns?"
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#3 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

I don't want anything... well other than information. CC is now finally legal in IL, so that is the reason I ask. In states like Ohio I've stayed at hotels where they had the "no concealed carry" signs. Most people who take the time, effort, and fork over a considerable amount of money(FOID card $10 + $150 for 5 yr license + required 16hr classes fees of $250 average + fingerprinting fees around $60 + a handgun which can cost anything but lets just say $500) to get their CC license are going to be responsible people, not "morons with small brains".

This post has been edited by JujuFox: 31 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#4 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

I stand by the rules of "everyone is a law abiding citizen....till they arn't"
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#5 User is offline   S1NN3R 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 11618
  • Location:Barrington, IL - US / London, England - UK )( Sector 7C

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:07 AM

I support CC and have one of my own. That said:

Although it's up to the individual hotels and the convention center to determine if they will allow CC or not, I am against bringing them into ANY multi-day function. Hotel staff, roommates, drunks who walk the floors, anyone in the parking structures - All variables in one setting of 20k+ persons... And it only takes one to mess it all up.

Ultimately, we need to be responsible enough to know when not to CC
"You'll never have any answers untill you ask the questions"
When people start asking, I'll answer.

Contact Me

Acens attended. 1998-2002, 04-06,08-Present

#6 User is offline   evaunit01berserk 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 32255

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

While I support guns, ACen really isent the place to challenge and try to find loopholes to carry

This post has been edited by evaunit01berserk: 01 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Need a room? We find rooms.
Throw in a request and we will scour the web

#7 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

View Postevaunit01berserk, on 01 February 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

While I support guns, ACen really isent the place to challenge and try to find loopholes to carry

I'm definitely NOT looking for loopholes. ACen rules state that firearms aren't allowed... as props. Hmmm I should check the program guide as I though they had a no firearms policy somewhere. They might have to add a no CC rule now that CC is allowed in this state.

Again, I've stayed at hotels where CC wasn't allowed, so that is why I ask. They had the no CC sign up, and I was wondering if the hotels or convention center had these signs up too, or what their polices are now that the law is in effect?

For those that do carry, if the hotel allows it then they would be allowed to carry and store their gun in their room. If they don't allow it, those that carry would have to leave their gun in their locked vehicle.

#8 User is offline   Akushou 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 12064

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

I really don't see why people can't just leave their guns at home for one weekend. There probably won't be any cause to shoot someone in the hotel, and I'm not sure about everyone else, but personally the thought of someone walking around the convention with a gun tucked away is extremely uncomfortable.
ACen 2014 Costume Lineup

- Sesshoumaru (Inuyasha) | 99% complete
- Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY)| 60% complete
- Shizuo Heiwajima (Durarara!!) | 100% complete

#9 User is offline   evaunit01berserk 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Could try calling them perhaps then?
(847) 696-1234

But if a con says no real guns as props, its usually goes for off duty law enforcement and/or CC permit holders be carrying to be carrying at all. I wouldn't try to skirt it or find ways around it. Again, this is coming from someone thatbdoes support guns and dosen't exactly agree with the "magical no guns allowed" sticker laws in protecting me from some nut that ignores thr laws

This post has been edited by evaunit01berserk: 01 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

#10 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 01 February 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

I'm definitely NOT looking for loopholes. ACen rules state that firearms aren't allowed... as props. Hmmm I should check the program guide as I though they had a no firearms policy somewhere. They might have to add a no CC rule now that CC is allowed in this state.

Again, I've stayed at hotels where CC wasn't allowed, so that is why I ask. They had the no CC sign up, and I was wondering if the hotels or convention center had these signs up too, or what their polices are now that the law is in effect?

For those that do carry, if the hotel allows it then they would be allowed to carry and store their gun in their room. If they don't allow it, those that carry would have to leave their gun in their locked vehicle.

We're looking to get a direct, solid answer on this from the higher-ups, so be on the lookout for that.

In the meantime, I can also give a more specific answer regarding our policy (our current one, anyway) on the topic of firearms being allowed at ACen itself: unless you are required by your profession to carry a firearm, you should not be carrying one on you - as a prop, or otherwise.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#11 User is offline   MCP 3.3 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 64951

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

Just even asking this sounds like a bad idea to me.I wouldn't even let this go any further.
END OF LINE.

#12 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

View Postevaunit01berserk, on 01 February 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

Could try calling them perhaps then?
(847) 696-1234

But if a con says no real guns as props, its usually goes for off duty law enforcement and/or CC permit holders be carrying to be carrying at all. I wouldn't try to skirt it or find ways around it. Again, this is coming from someone thatbdoes support guns and dosen't exactly agree with the "magical no guns allowed" sticker laws in protecting me from some nut that ignores thr laws

I'm not trying to skirt it, or find ways around it. I'm just asking questions. If marijuana became completely free and legal, but places could ban it from their premises, I'm sure lots of people would also be curious and ask if certain places allow it or not. It's just a question, not a debate on if it should or shouldn't be allowed.

Remember when this state didn't have a smoking ban? Businesses could choose to put up a no smoking sign, and had the right to enforce no smoking on their premises. Privately owned businesses should have the right to choose to allow or not allow something. That is why our state, like many others, has an official sign that businesses can post to make patrons aware of their CC policy.

View PostValkyrie, on 01 February 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

We're looking to get a direct, solid answer on this from the higher-ups, so be on the lookout for that.

In the meantime, I can also give a more specific answer regarding our policy (our current one, anyway) on the topic of firearms being allowed at ACen itself: unless you are required by your profession to carry a firearm, you should not be carrying one on you - as a prop, or otherwise.

Yes, this is what I assumed when I first made the post. Later, when I checked the rules page on the website I couldn't find any other gun policy other than the prop rule though, and that made me a little concerned. I could have sworn I saw some other gun policy somewhere maybe in the program guide? I think that it is a good idea for ACen to address this in their policies. Thanks for contacting the higher-ups about this!

Edited to fix formatting issues.

This post has been edited by JujuFox: 01 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

#13 User is offline   TakahashiAkio 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 64793

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

View PostAkushou, on 01 February 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

I really don't see why people can't just leave their guns at home for one weekend. There probably won't be any cause to shoot someone in the hotel, and I'm not sure about everyone else, but personally the thought of someone walking around the convention with a gun tucked away is extremely uncomfortable.

I completely agree with this. I'm flat out uncomfortable with the thought itself.

-AT

#14 User is offline   evaunit01berserk 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 01 February 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

I'm not trying to skirt it, or find ways around it. I'm just asking questions. If marijuana became completely free and legal, but places could ban it from their premises, I'm sure lots of people would also be curious and ask if certain places allow it or not. It's just a question, not a debate on if it should or shouldn't be allowed.

Remember when this state didn't have a smoking ban? Businesses could choose to put up a no smoking sign, and had the right to enforce no smoking on their premises. Privately owned businesses should have the right to choose to allow or not allow something. That is why our state, like many others, has an official sign that businesses can post to make patrons aware of their CC policy.

Yes, this is what I assumed when I first made the post. Later, when I checked the rules page on the website I couldn't find any other gun policy other than the prop rule though, and that made me a little concerned. I could have sworn I saw some other gun policy somewhere maybe in the program guide? I think that it is a good idea for ACen to address this in their policies. Thanks for contacting the higher-ups about this!

Edited to fix formatting issues.

Okay, so while you are here soap boxing preaching the laws, you have yet to call the hotel and ask them directly? actually, I'll do that for you right now and have an answer for you in about 10 minutes.

#15 User is offline   evaunit01berserk 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

Called the hotel, here is what I am told.

When you check in, there is a vault at the front desk that you can keep your weapon in, but it is not allowed to be carried while you occupy the premise. As per Officer Carlston of Hyatt o'hare security

TL;DR: No, it is not allowed

Any further questions?
I also once again invite you to call them yourself to verify.

edit: I lied, 9 minutes

This post has been edited by evaunit01berserk: 01 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

#16 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

I don't believe JujuFox was trying to stand on a soapbox- I think they were trying to ask a question- and I'm glad they did honestly. Its a question that should be addressed- mainly because if they don't want firearms on the premises (which I agree- they shouldn't be allowed) they need to state this. These laws make people assume that they are allowed- unless stated otherwise. Iowa went through a very similar situation last year.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#17 User is offline   evaunit01berserk 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 01 February 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

I don't believe JujuFox was trying to stand on a soapbox-

then they should have just called the hotel directly, especially when given the number and had the answer 5 hours ago rather then asking a client of the hotel that may not have all the information.

I am done discussing since the answer is black and white, seeya.

This post has been edited by evaunit01berserk: 01 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

#18 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

Okay guys, here's the deal.

Considering this has to do with multiple properties (not just one), there is no black-and-white answer until we are told such by the Anime Central higher-ups - and as I said earlier, they are currently finding out these answers, and will get back to us when they have one. No one here in this thread has the ability to get a definite answer (or speak for the convention); there's a reason no one on the mod team has given one.

Thus, we will be locking this discussion until such an answer is ready to be given.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users