Anime Central Forums: The parent trap question - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The parent trap question What brings you here?

#1 User is offline   Nik-Nack^.^ 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59105

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

So I've been coming to ACen for 8 years and my parents always ask me what drives me to go year after year. I thought about it and my answer is that its a weekend in my hectic life of college and work where I feel completely accepted and where I can fan girl sqee over a cute plushie and not get stared at lol. That's my reason for coming and why no matter where I go later in life I will always remember ACen weekends.

What I want to know is what brings everyone one else to the con? Is it the people? The panels? The cosplay? The dances? What's your reason for coming? How many years?
Cosplays Im doing this year
Ammy from Okami- 85% I need to finish the brush and do a little more painting on the sleeves.
Hannah Anafeloz from Black Bluter- 0% Looking for pattern supplies
Tardis from Dr. Who- 90% finishing my hat..I mean my light

#2 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

View PostNik-Nack^.^, on 17 January 2014 - 02:32 AM, said:

So I've been coming to ACen for 8 years and my parents always ask me what drives me to go year after year. I thought about it and my answer is that its a weekend in my hectic life of college and work where I feel completely accepted and where I can fan girl sqee over a cute plushie and not get stared at lol. That's my reason for coming and why no matter where I go later in life I will always remember ACen weekends.

What I want to know is what brings everyone one else to the con? Is it the people? The panels? The cosplay? The dances? What's your reason for coming? How many years?

At this point in my dwindling years of con attendance, it is for only one thing at this point....the people...and maybe some Chicago eats/shopping.

This post has been edited by rondo: 17 January 2014 - 05:31 AM

#3 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

I agree with rondo. At first, it was meeting new and like minded people and experiencing new parts of the fandom I have come to love. As I've gotten older however, some (not all) of the people I've met have either stopped going or I've found them to be completely hearless and just plain rude. There are still some friends I have through cons and I love meeting new people but I guess I'm getting too old of this. I went for a great many reasons but those reasons are slipping away. My time at cons isn't over yet but there are far fewer in front of me then there are behind me
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Not attending ACen in 2015. Sorry. Maybe 2016

#4 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

We talked about the same here: Click there to see topic!

This post has been edited by MsLovelyCookie: 17 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#5 User is offline   eat_me_for_I_am_peeps 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59774

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

My mom asks me the same question every time XD
Need some Rave Gear? I got you! http://kittyandquinn.../kittysravegear

#6 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

This is my 5th time going to ACen this year...and similar to Nik-Nack, ACen is my weekend away from reality from my insanely stressful nursing school life. Specifically, I'm using ACen this year as my own personal "Graduation celebration" since it's the weekend after I graduate. What keeps me going is that I love going to and hosting panels, main programming, meeting guests, cosplaying, and of course best of all, hanging out with my friends. I have met SUCH AMAZING friends at ACen and have formed so many great memories with them--and I can't wait to create more for the future! ^_^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#7 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

Mom and dad don't really care, as long as I have fun. I've transplanted other cons though as my attendance at ACen is no longer guaranteed.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#8 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

This will be my fourth ACen (I think?) and the third ACen for all the friends I go with - i introduced them to it!

We do have a lot of smaller cons pretty close to us, but ACen is a must every year just because it's so big. We really like cosplay, and we really like going to panels, and at a con this size there's always loads of awesome cosplayers and there's always an interesting panel going on. And, it's just really nice to get away from everything for a weekend, and be silly nerds in a giant crowd of other silly nerds. We're all 20-somethings working on our careers, so ACen's a great way to get away from the stress and just be ourselves.

#9 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

For me it's basically just a vacation. Go to a city I like a lot, hang out with friends, and enjoy my primary hobby. It's just nice to be surrounded by people that share common interests for a change.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#10 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

This is going to be my second ACen. I mostly got lost last year, but I loved every minute of it! I loooooove big conventions -- they're a must for me -- so even getting lost in the Summer heat is an adventure. XD
ACen 2015 cosplay:
Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - 0% (planning stages)
Fem!Slenderman - 30%
Shirahoshi Hime (One Piece) - 50%

#11 User is offline   MCP 3.3 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 64951

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

This will be my 10th ACen and I always love going. To me, I just love the convention culture and everything that goes along with it. I love to shop and look for deals, I love to see the costumes both good and bad, I love watching films or panels with groups of like minded folks who are just as big a fan as I am. I love the silliness and antics that can happen, and though some years have been better than others, I always come back with great memories. If anything I have started going to more conventions because of ACen.
END OF LINE.

#12 User is offline   Bard-kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 212

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Tradition (13 years at this point!), the pleasant buzz of a hotel full of likeminded people (even if I don't meet as many strangers/crash as many room parties nowadays), Hentarmageddon (assuming it gets accepted this year!), the off chance I'll see something incredible in the dealers' hall, and an attempt to recapture my youth.
Join the parade.

HENT4RMAGEDDON: You Can (Not) Unsee. Tentatively scheduled for 12:30-2:30 AM in the Donald E Stephens Convention Center, Panel Room Six. Join us for an evening of fun, games, and memories so twisted you'll wish you could live in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

#13 User is offline   Lelo 

• Merchandise Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 25302

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

For me, it has a lot to do with the people -- internet friends that I otherwise don't get to meet in real life, staff friends, cosplay friends... It's one of the few times of the year where my anime obsession has a place. I love getting to talk to other people about the shows I love since I'm not exactly surrounded by other anime fans the rest of the year. I like having a chance to be involved in the anime community. Aaaand I love buying things.
Merchandise salesgirl extraordinaire 2012, 2013, 2014

2014 cosplay:
Friday -- Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist
Saturday -- Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist
Sunday -- you guessed it, Winry again, and then zebra mask shenanigans!

my Fullmetal Alchemist tumblr

#14 User is offline   Shiggitay 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60878

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:09 AM

I hate to sound like a broken record. but I also use ACen as a vacation, as well as a way to get away. I work overnight at a local 24h convenience store (as some of you may know) that's similar in concept to 7-11, but it's only around the areas of New England where I live currently. My customers and the work sometimes as a whole causes me so much stress and ACen and any of the other cons I go to each year (Anime Boston / Otakon and this year Anime Expo) helps me relax and just have fun. This is year is going to be epic (year 3 for me.. I'm 30 but I don't feel it yet.. .lol) because I'll finally be meeting up with some people I've known online since around 2001. I could have met up with them for ACen 2006, but I was an unemployed 22 year old college student (sadly I've not graduated yet... long story as to why for another thread) and since my family wasn't and still isn't made of money, I didn't go. I've been going since 2012, and besides this year I I didn't stay at the Hyatt.

I love any of my cons' Dealer's Rooms, and the AA is cool too. I mainly go for panels and any guests panels I can get into. Back in 2012 I wanted see Johnny Yong Bosch, but his panel room filled up too damn fast.. >_>

Oh, and another BIG reason I like going across and up and down the country to these cons I go to is because I LOVE traveling. It's fun seeing new places I'd either not been to before, or places I can't go to often, like Chicago area for ACen or Baltimore metro for Otakon.

As for my parents' view on my convention trip spending? Well, at first they didn't understand why I'd gotten so engulfed in all of this, and even today they don't fully understand its value to me. They feel it's a waste of money and I should be saving towards other things in life. I agree with that part, but all these trips I take each year are totally worth it for me. Theoretically if I didn't take some many of these trips a year I'd have had not just one laptop but 2 or 3 with the amount of money I spend each con... That sad. I still do hope to have a new laptop by late summer/early fall though... I have my uber desktop here to hold me out until then and my brother's laptop to borrow if I need something mobile.

I'd normally only do 3 cons a year (AB/ACen/Ota) but since my friends are paying for everything related to Anime Expo? WHY THE F**K NOT? xD

This post has been edited by Shiggitay: 24 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

Anime fo lyfe!

Representin' Anime Boston 2015 ACen 2015, and Otakon 2015!!

-----------------------------Help me out if you can! And please share those links around! Arigatou!!---------------------------
Buy Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd [Famitsu DX Pack] (Japan Version) for PlayStation 3 (PS3)>

Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd | Buy Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd (Japan Version) for PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita)>

#15 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59491

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

I started going my senior year of highschool and ever since it's been considered a 3 day vacation for me. That last year of highschool and the next 2 years of college that followed were stressful and this one has been the same. So when it's done with, my classes get out literally the week of ACen, I come to the con and enjoy a 3 day vacation where I can breathe and loose my self in this environment and escape reality for just a little while.
ACen 2014 COSPLAY

Minako Arisato/FemMC : Persona 3
100%
Misato Katusragi: Neon Genesis Evangelion 100%
Tidus 97%

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users