Badge Ribbons

#1 User is offline   Dex_Link 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 30007

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hey all,
A few friends and I recently have been talking about possibly attending a few other cons around the country, and a few of these cons have a somewhat active "badge ribbon" community. And that got us wondering -- has anyone ever encountered any badge ribbons at good ol' Anime Central? I've been going for a good amount of years and never have, nor has friends of mine who have been going for over a decade.
Which brings me to another question... would anyone enjoy seeing this little "hidden Mickey Mouse" of con culture come to ACen? I think my group of friends might get a couple hundred ribbons printed up to test the waters at ACen 2014...
2009 cosplay: Steampunk 2010 cosplay: Steve Fox, 'Tekken 6' 2011 cosplay: John Marston, 'Red Dead Redemption' 2012: DID NOT ATTEND
2013 cosplay: Team Rocket Luchador grunt, 'Pokemon'

2014 cosplay: Finn in Jake Suit, 'Adventure Time'
Possible 2015 cosplay: Dwalin, 'The Hobbit'; Link, 'LoZ'

#2 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostDex_Link, on 13 January 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

Hey all,
A few friends and I recently have been talking about possibly attending a few other cons around the country, and a few of these cons have a somewhat active "badge ribbon" community. And that got us wondering -- has anyone ever encountered any badge ribbons at good ol' Anime Central? I've been going for a good amount of years and never have, nor has friends of mine who have been going for over a decade.
Which brings me to another question... would anyone enjoy seeing this little "hidden Mickey Mouse" of con culture come to ACen? I think my group of friends might get a couple hundred ribbons printed up to test the waters at ACen 2014...

Staff department heads always have badge ribbons- though they are normally not given attendees except in special circumstances. You get them for going above and beyond the call of duty, helping people out, etc. I got one last year as an attendee but I used to be staff and old habits die hard... so yeah. XD I know Funimation was handing them out last year- and I think CrunchyRoll as well. I was thinking I might do some for forum members this year.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 13 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#3 User is offline   dchan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 1155

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

I really enjoyed the badge ribbon exchanges at CONvergence when I went. They were fun to collect. I haven't really seen them anywhere around here.

Some cosplayers have started exchanging collectible contact cards/prints with photos of themselves in cosplay on them.

#4 User is offline   Rinzle 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 62857

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:44 AM

View Postdchan, on 13 January 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

I really enjoyed the badge ribbon exchanges at CONvergence when I went. They were fun to collect. I haven't really seen them anywhere around here.

Some cosplayers have started exchanging collectible contact cards/prints with photos of themselves in cosplay on them.

cure cards: to find a cosplayer if they have a facebook page or the like so they know when you upload photos of them. Im contemplating on having some made up this year i ran out of time last year.
ACen 2015 cosplays
Himino- Pretear - Plant~ Friday W/group
Summoner Yuna- Saturday

Past Cons
ACen 2014-Otakon 2013-Anime Midwest 2013-ACen 2013-Anime Milwaukee 2013-ACen 2011- No Brand Con 2008-
Past cosplays
Neo Queen Serenity V.1 & V.2-Usagi Tsukino School uniform-Yuna FFX-Princess Serenity-

#5 User is offline   shastacola85 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58966

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostRinzle, on 14 January 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

cure cards: to find a cosplayer if they have a facebook page or the like so they know when you upload photos of them. Im contemplating on having some made up this year i ran out of time last year.

I'm thinking of doing the same, but feel that I would start seeing them on the ground or trashed because I know how people do with all that hand out stuff. . .

I always ask myself if it's worth the money to see them on the ground :(

Although I think that the badge ribbons would be fun for the con goers like myself ;) I also seen them at CONvergence and thought that it was a cool idea!

This post has been edited by shastacola85: 20 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

Artangel85's 2015 Cosplay List:
Painted Lady Katara (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
Team Flare Aliana (Pokemon X & Y)
Honey Lemon (Big Hero 6)
Seras Victoria OVA Yellow (Hellsing)

#6 User is offline   Fudgi P0pZ 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9430

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

I'd never heard of this phenomena until you guys mentioned it. I'd be all for it. :)/> Sounds cute! Is there a way to have it be in some, like, controlled environment to prevent litter? Is there a cosplay networking mixxer thing in the program guide? I'm not talking about speed dating, but a specific, scheduled event that con attendees go to specifically to exchange contact info for business/networking opportunities. Sure, you can do this all around the con, but like some have already mentioned, not everyone's receptive to receiving a card/ribbon at any point in time. However, if you're attending one of these things, it's safe to assume that your audience wants to share their information, too. ^^

Then again, I'm not entirely sure how this ribbon thing works. Anyone care to explain? I've only ever been to ACen. :(/>

BTW, have you guys seen that Vistaprint is running a promotion on business cards right now? If you're looking into that curecard thing, this might be a cost-effective option for you. ^^ The promotion pops up when you go to the main page. 250 for $10 :)

This post has been edited by Fudgi P0pZ: 22 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

..::..2014 Cosplay Goals..::..
.: Aisha ClanClan:.

Keeping it light this year! :)

Thanks Neskaya for the lovely avatar.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users