• You cannot reply to this topic

Publishing Help Please

#1 User is offline   Sen 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 8926

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Hey everyone!

For the past 5 years I have been working on my comic/manga. story, character designs, and (hand made) merchandise, originally I wanted to have everything done by 2018 because I want everything to be perfect but I have to push my timetabe up to March of 2015. That gives me little over a year to get things finished. I was wondering for those of you who make your own comic/mangas where do you get them published/printed? do you find it is better to have your work printed at a place like kinko's or office depot, or should I see about having it mass printed through a publisher and if anyone has any ideas on who is best to go with. What is the print quality like? do you know if they offer a mix of matt and glossy? any help will be appreciated.

Thanks & see you all at ACen

Chibi responds with Yummy Yummy Burger

#2 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hi Sen!

I don't have any experience printing graphic novels, but I have gotten copies of writing printed before. You can go through a publisher, yes, but it can be tricky--getting approved by a publisher can be a daunting task for any novelist or graphic artist. What you may want to look into is a print on demand service. It lets you self-publish essentially! The per-book cost will be higher than a traditional publisher run though, due to not ordering massive amount of books at one time.

There's Lulu.com and Amazon Createspace (on Amazon.com) as the two big ones. I haven't done any color work through Lulu and I haven't personally used Createspace, but I've heard very good things about them.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#3 User is offline   DC Panda 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 15252

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

I personally go with Createspace. Reasonably priced (relatively speaking), you get an official ISBN# and for an additional 40 dollars you get your stuff featured on almost every online bookseller there is.

Decent turnaround time, but their format will take some getting used to.

Color will mean it will be way more expensive but this is largely true of any printer.

Do you have an online page for your work? I'm curious to see what you do. I'm also curious as to why you need to have it done by 2015?
DC Chen- Big Asian Guy

Artist Alley- 12th Year under Panda Rage Productions.
Check out our webcomic Onward Bound!

Panel for 2013: Carpe DM- The Art of Gamemastery for Tabletop RPGs

#4 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

I used Ka-blam for a one-off kind of thing and they did a good job. The inner paper is a matte paper (I just printed something in B&W, but they also do color). The covers are either a glossy cardstock or glossy paper, depending on what you choose.

The printer you choose will also depend on your marketing intentions and who your audience is. Ka-blam might be good to test the waters at an Artist Alley type venue, but Amazon would be clearly better if you are wanting to quickly be able to sell nationwide and/or to people with Kindles, etc.
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#5 User is offline   Sen 

• Pip

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

View PostDC Panda, on 06 January 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

I personally go with Createspace. Reasonably priced (relatively speaking), you get an official ISBN# and for an additional 40 dollars you get your stuff featured on almost every online bookseller there is.

Decent turnaround time, but their format will take some getting used to.

Color will mean it will be way more expensive but this is largely true of any printer.

Do you have an online page for your work? I'm curious to see what you do. I'm also curious as to why you need to have it done by 2015?

Everything I have is hand drawn on paper. I'm a bit scared to try the digital media but I know that eventually I will end up getting a tablet and practicing on it all the time. I am hoping to put this new scanner to good use until then. Most all my friends have been urging me to publish my comics and they really want me to try. I feel that so much time has passed and if I don't do it soon I may not do it at all. so thats one of the reasons why I'm pushing up my deadline. the other is that I introduced a large amount of friends to ACen in 2000, we don't get to see each other that often and seeing as community colleges don't really have reunions, we're making ACen's 2015 ours.

#6 User is offline   thatreevesgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5892

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

http://www.superiorp...fect-bind-books

They also do saddle stitch books, and their size variety is great.

#7 User is offline   Sen 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

Thanks you guys, this has been really helpful.

#8 User is offline   Christy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 2434

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostSen, on 07 January 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

Everything I have is hand drawn on paper. I'm a bit scared to try the digital media but I know that eventually I will end up getting a tablet and practicing on it all the time. I am hoping to put this new scanner to good use until then. Most all my friends have been urging me to publish my comics and they really want me to try. I feel that so much time has passed and if I don't do it soon I may not do it at all. so thats one of the reasons why I'm pushing up my deadline. the other is that I introduced a large amount of friends to ACen in 2000, we don't get to see each other that often and seeing as community colleges don't really have reunions, we're making ACen's 2015 ours.

Sorry I'm a bit late posting, but work has precluded me from stopping by here at all over the last year - but I wanted to comment and offer support and advice. For self publishing your comic, another huge suggestion I can make is to learn Adobe Creative Suite. You can use Photoshop for scanning, coloring and touch ups but you want to do your lettering and layouts in InDesign. If you take a college class on it, you can get a student copy cheap.

Another tip I can offer, always scan your pages big and reduce down if necessary. What looks good on the computer won't always look good in print and scanning too small of a resolution is a common mistake that affects the quality of your work.

Blambot has really good fonts for comic lettering, free to indy publishers so definitely check them out at www.blambot.com Digital lettering is usually less time consuming, looks neater and provides more flexibility for edits to your story.

Other than that, where you go to print depends on a) how big your book is and B) how much of your book, if any of it, is in black and white vs. color. Books that are small enough to be stapled can often just be printed and put together cheaply right at home if you have a laser printer. If you have any technical questions, PM me and we can chat online and I can point you in a few additional directions. :)

#9 User is offline   SamusFairchild 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61245

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

WOOO late post D:

Thought I might share a little bit of what I got from my runaroud with self-publishing last year.

I worked with one company to get our books published last year after MONTHS and MONTHS of research. The only reason I went with them is because they were the only place who could meet our rather odd job specs. Come the end of the job, I was very, disappointed with my choice. However, in my research, I did find a couple other more reasonable companies to work with, who I most certainly would have gone with if they could have done what we needed.

The first one that comes to mind, because they gave me the best prices and best customer service, is Comic Book Printing. Their turnaround time was excellent, and their prices for short, digital runs were great. (As a note, for shorter runs, depending on the company you go with, you're looking at anywhere from 1 book to 500 books minimum. These are done on a digital press. Long runs are more often done on an offset press. Setup for these is costly, which is why they have higher minimum orders, but the price very quickly becomes cheaper per book the more you order... but we're talking quantities of 500-1000+ here.) They were willing to send me a sample package of some of the things they've done, and I was very pleased with the quality.

http://www.comicbookprinting.com/

Bestvaluecopy.com is also a good place to go. Their prices are lower, but the last time I dealt with them, their turnaround was long and their customer service responsiveness was... well, so-so at best. Its been over a year, though, so who knows whats changed. Their pricing is very up-front, though, and you can order 1 book just to use as a proof. I find that's very convenient. If you don't see the options you need on their website, you can always call them. AFAIK, they have more available than they advertise.

...there was one more I was looking at that had a turnaround of, like, 3 days for our short run, and their prices were reasonable. I didn't find them till too late into the project, but the rep I talked to was very helpful. www.printingedge.com

If you do look into short-run printers, be sure to factor in all the costs involved... Some places don't tell you up front :\
-Shipping
-Setup charges
-Charges for soft/hard proofs (some places will send you a PDF, some will print 1 full copy of the book and send it to you for review.)
-Change order charges (if you decide to make a change after the set-up is done, say, based on the proof, some places will charge you a change order fee, second setup charge, or another proof charge.)
-Tax
-Some places will keep your book on file for later printing. This will help eliminate setup charges and proof charges on future runs.

I have oodles more information if you have any questions or anything. This kind of stuff is my job, so *shrug* you know. Any time I can prevent someone else from getting the same headache I do is great XD
---
"Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony. " Heraclitus
"Medicine to produce health must examine disease; and music, to create harmony must investigate discord. " Plutarch
"Anyway, this cake is great. Its so delicious and moist." -GlaDOS

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users