Anime Central Forums: So, I've apparently been waitlisted - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So, I've apparently been waitlisted

#1 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 60865

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

So, I've apparently been waitlisted. Just checked my profile this morning and that lovely "waitlist" button is showing.
I'm honestly rather surprised. I wasn't aware there were a bunch of tote bag sellers or clay miniature artists in the alley, but I suppose checking "fanart print" for the few that I do sell stuck me in that category. :(
I'm rather disappointed. I had really been looking forward to ACen this year.
If we could get some clarification on why exactly and how exactly these were decided I know I would really like to know.
Hope everyone else gets some better news.

This post has been edited by IcyPanther: 23 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

I will be attending ACen 2014 as an Artist.
You can view my merchandise at my Etsy Shop.
Or visit my DA for more samples of my chibis and prints.
Feel free to message me with any suggestions or comments!

#2 User is offline   Kitchan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 24242

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostIcyPanther, on 28 December 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

So, I've apparently been waitlisted. Just checked my profile this morning and that lovely "waitlist" button is showing.
I'm honestly rather surprised. I wasn't aware there were a bunch of tote bag sellers or clay miniature artists in the alley, but I suppose checking "fanart print" for the few that I do sell to be honest was just too much.
I'm rather disappointed. Well, more than a little disappointed. I had really been looking forward to ACen this year.
If we could get some clarification on why exactly and how exactly these were decided I know I would really like to know.
(p.s.) I've got a free badge from the slogan contest - any way I can transfer that to someone who will actually be going? Seems like a waste to just sit there.

The wait list does (and will, based on previous years) move.

As for why, you could send an email to Exhibit Space staff about it? I do know that a mix of new/established studios, art forms/media, and such is the goal for each year: also, humans have to screen to make sure a dealer isn't taking advantage of artist alley space, nobody who was banned tries to get in, and general precautions like that. (Not saying that applies in your case: just that such reviews take a lot of time, are prone to error, etc.)

I hope things get better for you soon though!
A wild Kit has appeared! What will you do?

#3 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostKitchan, on 28 December 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

The wait list does (and will, based on previous years) move.

As for why, you could send an email to Exhibit Space staff about it? I do know that a mix of new/established studios, art forms/media, and such is the goal for each year: also, humans have to screen to make sure a dealer isn't taking advantage of artist alley space, nobody who was banned tries to get in, and general precautions like that. (Not saying that applies in your case: just that such reviews take a lot of time, are prone to error, etc.)

I hope things get better for you soon though!

Thanks Kit :)/>
I emailed them about a week back because I realized my website hadn't gone through on my application, so I sent that along. I've been in the alley for the last two years as well (and the first time artist answer did go through!) so hopefully that would have helped in those other points.
Guess it just wasn't my year. Although an explanation would have been really helpful, because I do find it difficult to believe there are suddenly a huge bunch of tote and miniature sellers that would have over saturated the market on that type.
Ah well. To stalking the wait list.

#4 User is offline   DoBatsEatCats 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62078

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

well, I am totally lost... I got an acceptance email last night, but when I went to the website just now to pay, it tells me I am waitlisted. That makes no sense - did this happen to anyone else? I just sent them an email asking to confirm my status, so hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

#5 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm also wait-listed which makes me really sad. I don't recall seeing anything else quite like what I do in the alley either of the years I've been doing it, and I got my submission in as soon as the servers allowed me in. :(

Granted as people have said, the waitlist moves, but the waiting game is going to really suck because now I don't know if/when I should start stockpiling art.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#6 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostSapphy, on 28 December 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

I'm also wait-listed which makes me really sad. I don't recall seeing anything else quite like what I do in the alley either of the years I've been doing it, and I got my submission in as soon as the servers allowed me in. :(/>/>

Granted as people have said, the waitlist moves, but the waiting game is going to really suck because now I don't know if/when I should start stockpiling art.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that, Sapphy. I've never seen anyone else make the shadow boxes either (And yours are so well done too!). I got my entry in in about 25 minutes after they opened (like you, once the servers decided to let me on).

My sister also got wait-listed and she sells duct tape pens and rings, which I've only seen once before at Youmacon.

Hopefully we can both maybe move forward on the wait list.

View PostDoBatsEatCats, on 28 December 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

well, I am totally lost... I got an acceptance email last night, but when I went to the website just now to pay, it tells me I am waitlisted. That makes no sense - did this happen to anyone else? I just sent them an email asking to confirm my status, so hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

I think everyoen got an email last night saying that they were going to be sending out the first wave of approvals soon - at least that's what mine alluded to. Just got the wait list email a few minutes ago.

This post has been edited by IcyPanther: 28 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

#7 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostIcyPanther, on 28 December 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that, Sapphy. I've never seen anyone else make the shadow boxes either (And yours are so well done too!). I got my entry in in about 25 minutes after they opened (like you, once the servers decided to let me on).

My sister also got wait-listed and she sells duct tape pens and rings, which I've only seen once before at Youmacon.

Hopefully we can both maybe move forward on the wait list.

Yeah, I think I got in around the 25-30 minute mark. I wasn't entirely sure what to click for my art category but I did include a link to art as well as a description of it. This stinks; also I've never seen anything at ACen like what you say your sister does. Your stuff, too--you make a lot of really neat unique art! I hope you both get in (and me, too!)!
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire

#8 User is offline   DoBatsEatCats 

• Pip

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

I think everyoen got an email last night saying that they were going to be sending out the first wave of approvals soon - at least that's what mine alluded to. Just got the wait list email a few minutes ago.
[/quote]

I got a total of 3 emails: the first one saying they were sending out the first wave of approvals, then an acceptance, and now just a few minutes ago I got the waitlist email. I have not gotten a direct response to my email, and I am trying to stay zen about this (I did come off the waitlist last year), but it does bother me that I got an acceptance email that apparently was an error. :(

#9 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostDoBatsEatCats, on 28 December 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

I got a total of 3 emails: the first one saying they were sending out the first wave of approvals, then an acceptance, and now just a few minutes ago I got the waitlist email. I have not gotten a direct response to my email, and I am trying to stay zen about this (I did come off the waitlist last year), but it does bother me that I got an acceptance email that apparently was an error. :(/>/>

:( That absolutely bites. I sure hope you can get that acceptance soon.
(p.s., my sister loves your earrings! She got a pair of clips on last year and was super impressed by your customer service!)

#10 User is offline   Lelo 

• Merchandise Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 25302

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostSapphy, on 28 December 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

I'm also wait-listed which makes me really sad. I don't recall seeing anything else quite like what I do in the alley either of the years I've been doing it, and I got my submission in as soon as the servers allowed me in. :(/>

Nooo your stuff is so cool. I remember noticing you somehow last year, whether on the forums or on tumblr, and wanting to check out your booth.
Merchandise salesgirl extraordinaire 2012, 2013, 2014

2014 cosplay:
Friday -- Mirai Kuriyama from Kyoukai no Kanata
Saturday -- Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist
Sunday -- zebra mask shenanigans!

my Fullmetal Alchemist tumblr

#11 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostSapphy, on 28 December 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Yeah, I think I got in around the 25-30 minute mark. I wasn't entirely sure what to click for my art category but I did include a link to art as well as a description of it. This stinks; also I've never seen anything at ACen like what you say your sister does. Your stuff, too--you make a lot of really neat unique art! I hope you both get in (and me, too!)!

Aww, thanks hun!
At least I've still got Anime Milwaukee to look forward to (and stockpile for!) At least it'll keep me busy till Midwest in July.

#12 User is offline   DoBatsEatCats 

• Pip

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostIcyPanther, on 28 December 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

:(/> That absolutely bites. I sure hope you can get that acceptance soon.
(p.s., my sister loves your earrings! She got a pair of clips on last year and was super impressed by your customer service!)

I'm so happy she liked them. :)

#13 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Dang, sad to hear of people who signed up about 25 minutes after getting waitlisted - took me a full 40 before I could get to the website and actually send the form. Ah well, was also hoping our unique items would pull us through somehow, but I'm thinking this just won't be our year. Might have to start looking for another "home" con - the problems with sign in get worse every year. Congrats to everyone that did make it in! ^_^
Cosplay 2013:
Friday: Tsubaki (Sket Dance)
Saturday: Prince Alexander (King's Quest VI)
Sunday: uh, TMNT geek, lol

See you in the Alley! ^_^
Tenkuu no Chibi

#14 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Sorry to hear all this. The past two years it wasn't quite as bad to register, but this year we all basically killed the poor host server for a good 30 mins it seemed.

Hoping that the wait-list moves enough for everyone wait-listed here to get in! You guys all make great stuff.
Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

Cosplays 2013:
Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi - Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG (picture)
Saturday: Chell - Portal 2 (picture)
Sunday: Ness(female version) - Earthbound/Super Smash Bros. (picture)

#15 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hi Everyone,

We have been getting a number of emails asking why people got waitlisted, or what their position is on the waitlist, and I would like to take some time to go into a bit more detail about the circumstances surrounding the waiting list. I would have preferred to do this over email, but given the nature of being on a waiting list, I understand why this venue looks a bit more desirable. Plus my attention is being turned toward the Exhibitors who are experiencing a tier deadline by the end of this month, which is causing some emails to experience a bit more of a delay if the auto-reply or the other emails helped address the issue already.

Since the process was based on a first come first serve basis (regarding products sold), this meant that we had to look at each submission’s products sold, products displayed, and products explained on the form. Once a particular category filled, we continued to accept people who intended to sell that product(s) if they also intended to sell other products not filled (as the 75% majority product(s) sold). If a submission did not contain information about products, we used what information we could in the submission to determine products sold. With over 400 submissions to review, there was a lot of websites, portfolios, and links to visit and review. If we just used the traditional first come first serve method (and accounted for the website crash), the Alley would have filled in 7 minutes. This new process allowed more time before the Alley filled.

Regarding why people got on the waiting list, unfortunately is about available space and products sold. We have a limited number of tables, and we don’t want to increase that number or else very few Artists will make enough to cover their expenses, which will prevent ultimately only hurt Artists. As for products sold, we provided the categories we were assessing in the application. If a submission did not check those boxes, we went through their work and made note as to which boxes should be checked (since this was the first time we used the category system). These categories were: Bead Sprites, Body Art, Buttons, Costumes and Wearables, Fabric, Fabric Sculptures / Plush, FanArt Printwork, Found Item or Mixed Media Sculptures, Jewelry, Original Printwork, Other (Explain in more detail below), and Published Book. Costumes and Wearables, Fabric, Jewelry, and Other were a few of the first categories to fill, once that filled there wasn’t much more we could do for people primarily selling in those categories if they did not intend to sell over 75% of the other categories. We assessed what 75% was by which products were listed first in the descriptions in conjunction with any links / websites provided on the submission.

The other category was a bit trickier to assess. Since “Other” can encompass so many different products, we eventually have to stop assessing products in that category based solely on their originality, or novelty, and had to look at it as products that didn’t fit into the original categories. “Other” became its own category in a sense, which then took longer to fill, but filled none the less. This would be why submissions that contained truly novel and interesting products got waitlisted, even though it would be extremely unlikely that anyone else would sell those products.

I honestly wish we could have approved everyone, and I am disappointed to see some of our veteran artists make it onto the waiting list. I wish there was something more I could say/do, rather than please do not lose faith in the waiting list. Artists who got approved have 30 days to pay for their items, anyone who does not pay, will get booted. We have already received emails from Artists saying that they only meant to select one table, not two, and emails from Artists saying they want to drop their waiting list submission (for one reason or another), we even got an email asking to be dropped from the approved list. So as far as the list is concerned, it is still fluid and moving, but reassessing the list constantly will only be a disservice to everyone because of the time it will consume, resulting from a full review while the list continues to change.

I hope this helps shed some light on the issue, and some of the emails that now have been answered publicly (which my team can archive now). The rest I hope to have addressed very soon.

EDIT (12/30/13):

The waitlist is a list of submissions that did not immediately make it into the Artist Alley. We pull people from the waiting list in order to fill empty slots in the Alley, following the same restriction by product category system. When we do this, we call it "Moving" the waitlist, as everyone gets bumped up once someone is removed.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, & 13
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager
2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your artistic career."

#16 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on 29 December 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

The other category was a bit trickier to assess. Since “Other” can encompass so many different products, we eventually have to stop assessing products in that category based solely on their originality, or novelty, and had to look at it as products that didn’t fit into the original categories. “Other” became its own category in a sense, which then took longer to fill, but filled none the less. This would be why submissions that contained truly novel and interesting products got waitlisted, even though it would be extremely unlikely that anyone else would sell those products.

This is disappointing. :/

#17 User is offline   Sen 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 8926

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

View PostIcyPanther, on 28 December 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

I'm honestly rather surprised. I wasn't aware there were a bunch of tote bag sellers or clay miniature artists in the alley, but I suppose checking "fanart print" for the few that I do sell to be honest was just too much.
I'm rather disappointed. Well, more than a little disappointed. I had really been looking forward to ACen this year.
(p.s.) I've got a free badge from the slogan contest - any way I can transfer that to someone who will actually be going? Seems like a waste to just sit there.

In regards to your free badge, i believe that if you contact the admin of that department they might transfer it to the runner up for that contest. but just because you have been waitlisted doesn't mean that you can't have fun at ACen or that a spot won't open up along the way. however, if you really can't wait to see if you get moved from the waitlist to an alley table than do contact one of the admins about your contest badge to see if they can transfer it. that seems like that would be your best option in regards to that.
Chibi responds with Yummy Yummy Burger

#18 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

So, I can tell you that the waitlist is actually moving because I received acceptance into the alley last night! The email sent out sounded like quite a few tables opened up, so I'm hoping everyone posting here also got the good news. Keeping my fingers crossed!

#19 User is offline   Lelo 

• Merchandise Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 25302

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostIcyPanther, on 31 December 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

So, I can tell you that the waitlist is actually moving because I received acceptance into the alley last night! The email sent out sounded like quite a few tables opened up, so I'm hoping everyone posting here also got the good news. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Congratulations! :3
Merchandise salesgirl extraordinaire 2012, 2013, 2014

2014 cosplay:
Friday -- Mirai Kuriyama from Kyoukai no Kanata
Saturday -- Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist
Sunday -- zebra mask shenanigans!

my Fullmetal Alchemist tumblr

#20 User is offline   DoBatsEatCats 

• Pip

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostIcyPanther, on 31 December 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Yup, me too. Don't lose faith, kids - it does move. :) (Last year I believe I got un-wait-listed sometime in February?)

#21 User is offline   railas 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61183

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

I am truly bummed too. This would have been my 6th time. I fear I may have slipped into that "other" category as well, which probably should have been much broader than all of the rest from the sounds of it. OTL

Sapphy your paper art is truly unique, and I always look forward to seeing your pieces.

Icy, congrats! Huzzah movement!

Also, I don't think adding a few more tables to the Alley would necessarily make it worse for Artists profits.

#22 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

Aww. I just got word that (despite no one being allowed to request vacation time before the year's started; I put my request in on the first of the year) someone else in my office has apparently already requested the Friday of the convention off. Looks like ACen wouldn't have been in the books for me, anyway which is pretty disappointing from all fronts. :( I will be at Dashcon this year though in July, which is just as local to me!

On the plus side, I suppose this will give me the chance to enjoy the convention from the other side. I can cosplay! And walk around in cosplay! And walk around and see stuff!

#23 User is offline   CherryLunar 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62774

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

So is today/tomorrow going to be the day of the next wave? Some of my buds from college got through on the first wave. It would be nice to see some familiar faces in the alley if we can get through the waitlist.

#24 User is offline   Kikai 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60168

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hey everyone. Does anyone know if the waitlist is still moving or if the alley is full? I need to make plans to ask off for both work and school and I need to know if there is even a chance of getting in.

#25 User is offline   lishachan 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 64211

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostKikai, on 17 February 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

Hey everyone. Does anyone know if the waitlist is still moving or if the alley is full? I need to make plans to ask off for both work and school and I need to know if there is even a chance of getting in.

Well I was just accepted last night (Friday the 21st) so it does appear to be moving! Good luck!

#26 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

Waitlist IS moving. I got an email the other day about it. Breaks my heart that I can't get off work though. :(

This post has been edited by Sapphy: 22 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

#27 User is offline   sugarpain 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18378

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

Has anyone heard any recent news? I haven't heard anything yet and was waitlisted as well. Getting worried on if I should be heavily preparing or not.

This post has been edited by sugarpain: 28 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

#28 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

View Postsugarpain, on 28 March 2014 - 12:53 AM, said:

Has anyone heard any recent news? I haven't heard anything yet and was waitlisted as well. Getting worried on if I should be heavily preparing or not.

We have been moving down the list. It has been a slow process, and made longer because of how many people had other plans. I'm not blaming them, because I fully understand and respect those choices, it just means we keep going. We are literally down to the last 3 tables waiting on confirmation. Once we receive those, we will send out the notice that the waiting list is no longer moving.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, & 13
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager
2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your artistic career."

#29 User is offline   sugarpain 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18378

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on 02 April 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

We have been moving down the list. It has been a slow process, and made longer because of how many people had other plans. I'm not blaming them, because I fully understand and respect those choices, it just means we keep going. We are literally down to the last 3 tables waiting on confirmation. Once we receive those, we will send out the notice that the waiting list is no longer moving.

Oh, okay :(, very sad to hear the bad news on my behalf. Thank you very much for the information/ updating me though. I appreciate it/ guess I can only hope for the best?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users