Anime Central Forums: Final Fantasy Name That Tune Suggestions for Improvement - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Final Fantasy Name That Tune Suggestions for Improvement Speak now or forever hold your peace...

#1 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62791

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

If this game panel gets approved again this year, I'm looking to improve it. I've already requested more time this year so we can get to more contestents and I've got help this year too to keep everything running smoothly. That said...what else can I do? Here's a few major questions.

Is everyone fine with remaining at Final Fantasy I-X or would they like other entries in the series included? I'll admit, I prefer the music in the first ten entries to anything since then, but I know at least some of you out there really liked Final Fantasy XIII, so...you may want a category for it. The only problem is that music from later in the series is far more "generic" and "score-like". It's really hard to pick out something that doesn't have a strong, easily-"definitive" intro. (Here's a good example...hum any original tune from "Final Fantasy XII" right now. See if you can come up with one. If you can...see if you can do it five times because I need at least five for the game.)

Since we only got about two thirds through the game board last year, I'm planning on keeping the board at its current size (five entries per game) unless there are any objections? The thing is, from Final Fantasy III onward, I can easily make it ten categories...but ten is pretty much over half the soundtrack of the original game and half of the second.

Would you prefer a timer for responses or unlimited time to guess?

There were some suggestions last year that I do the entire set of music from CD instead of piano. Unfortunately, that contains a lot of issues. It's hard to only play a variable number of notes from a track and stop it "on time", plus I only have so many CD versions of different songs available to me. (I purchase all my music legally so I'm not going to steal it online.) And there's some "internal cheating" as part of this too. For example, if I play a hard rock track, a lot of the audience will automatically guess that it's "The Black Mages", which narrows down what song it could be considerably. Part of the reason for using the piano myself is it removes all other audio cues that would tip someone off to what the song was. And some people are good at that. (I myself can hear "Don't Be Afraid" from Final Fantasy VIII in an orchestral version and I can tell you whether I'm listening to the 02202002 concert or the Distant Worlds concert.)

And, unless anyone can think of anything better, the prizes will once again be $10 iTunes cards for winners and an FF Music CD as the Grand Prize. I won't tell you what it is in advance but I'll make sure it's something that overarches multiple games.

#2 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

One other possibility...

Even with extended time, I'm not going to get to everyone if the crowd is as big as last year. So...here's two suggestions to make attending the panel worth everyone's while...

A "door prize" to be given at the end.

Everyone gets to participate in the "final round" and whoever gets a "minimum" score gets a small prize (like a candy bar or something).

Thoughts?

#3 User is offline   Restive 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 53887

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

I think everyone participating in the final round would be best.

#4 User is offline   Acetaminophen 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 64796

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

You want suggestions, you got em. Feel free to implement any, all, or none of these.

1. The biggest one: get rid of specific one-game categories. Why? Because it opens the game up to the rest of these suggestions.

2. Allow people to name the game the tune came from, then award a bonus point if they can ID the name of the tune. You might be saying, "oh that makes it too easy!" Well it's better for players to get more tunes than less.

3. Don't limit yourself to piano tunes. You can use official music, or some lovely free, public remixes from ocremix.org. Or, if you see something on YouTube, just rip the audio and use that.

4. Just using the main series from 1 to 10 is boring. Include the entire Final Fantasy universe, not just the main series. Include all spinoffs such as Crystal Chronicles, FF Legend (aka SaGa), Ivalice Alliance (e.g. XII Revenant Wings), and the entire Chocobo series. Even Ehrgeiz works. Put the spinoffs in their own category or two if you want.

5. 30 second timer is good. Most people will answer in 5 seconds, but 30 gives them a chance. Do not penalize for a wrong guess.

6. Not using your entire game board is OK. In fact, this is a good idea, because if you're letting people choose, there will be some categories they'll feel uncomfortable with. Make enough categories so that one-quarter to one-third of the categories cannot be chosen due to time concerns.

7. Difficulty levels where tunes in one category are worth more than another is OK. I would assume tunes from the Chocobo series would be insanely difficult because there were only a handful released in English: Chocobo Racing, Fables Chocobo Tales, and Fables Chocobo's Dungeon. Make them worth more, but don't dip into Japanese-only titles unless they're very familiar.

This post has been edited by Acetaminophen: 24 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

#5 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

I know this has absolutely no chance of happening, but...

If by some strange reason this panel both gets approved AND Nobuo Uetmatsu walks in while I'm doing it, it's going to have to be cancelled because I'm just going to fall down dead on the stage.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users