#1 User is offline   Oreo_Otaku 

• Registration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2339
  • Location:inside your mind... I'm a figment of your imagination

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hey Acenites....? Aceners...? People of the ACen forums,

Long time since I posted, but what are your thoughts on Black Friday Sales starting Thanksgiving night?

My current work of 6 years always opened when the mall opens on Friday (When I started it opened at 7am and now currently 5am). This year might be different and we might be open at 8pm on Thanksgiving because other stores are taking the option to open up that early. The problem I see with that is we are a small business with me and the owner as the only employees with some help from her family sometimes during the holiday shopping season. What I don't like is that if we do this, I would have to miss out on half of my family's party and the extra rest to make it through working the weekend.
[center]How's my driving? Flip FOB Driver Pro: Oreo_Otaku. Comments? CALL: 111-555-9999
If you can read this you get a pat on the back.
I drank GOD and it is good!!!
Part of POWA*PinoyOneWorldAlliance*
ninja>pirates!
Acen Hamburglar

#2 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

I feel bad for those who have to work in stores on Thanksgiving Day. What is with the people wanting to open early? I know people want the best deals but waiting early to be the first one there is crazy! I'm working on Thanksgiving Day so that someone can enjoy the day off.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#3 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

I personally don't care for it but businesses are free to do what they think they need to do. Clearly there is a desire to shop on that day from the customers so the businesses are doing what they can to cater to them.

#4 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

More like the businesses are encouraging that desire. It's not so much that there's a demand (though yes, there are some who believe that everything should be available to them at all times), as businesses want to make as much profit as they can before year's end. Also consider that with the advent of online shopping, brick-and-mortar stores want to make up for any losses that they might incur during the holidays, especially Black Friday.

I'm gonna sound like an old fogey, but I remember a time when everything was closed on Thanksgiving - even grocery stores. I recall being sent to get that last-minute forgotten ingredient, and having to go to the store at the crack of dawn because the store would be closed before high noon. And we survived, because people knew how to schedule their shopping, or at least plan around the holidays.

And the sad part is, that wasn't even that long ago.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#5 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

I agree that this opening on Thanksgiving stuff needs to stop. I worked in retail for the better part of the last 10 years and until last year I didn't work Thanksgiving. Then the place I worked at decided to open at 10pm. I had to be there at 8pm and I didn't leave to go home till Friday at 10pm. It was awful. This is the first year in 10 years I won't have to work Black Friday (as I no longer work in retail) and honestly there is only one thing I'm interested in buying from the ads and my girlfriend is picking up a few things for our new home. After that, We're going home and not doing a damn thing that day. Sorry to all those that have to work it
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Unknown. Probably only going for a day in 2015

#6 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17897

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

my store is a 24 hour store anyway, we dont close except on christmas and even that might change, but still, having to tear people away from their families just for some "great deals" is stupid, and they try to make it ok by giving us an associate appreciation day where on one transaction we get 25% off but only if you worked any time on thanksgiving.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1107...mp;id=586119408
My internship

Belongs in Damn Thread, if found please return to Kii
Spam Squad Member spam kill count:29 , Troll Hunter troll kill count: 1

#7 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 19 November 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

More like the businesses are encouraging that desire. It's not so much that there's a demand (though yes, there are some who believe that everything should be available to them at all times), as businesses want to make as much profit as they can before year's end. Also consider that with the advent of online shopping, brick-and-mortar stores want to make up for any losses that they might incur during the holidays, especially Black Friday.

I'm gonna sound like an old fogey, but I remember a time when everything was closed on Thanksgiving - even grocery stores. I recall being sent to get that last-minute forgotten ingredient, and having to go to the store at the crack of dawn because the store would be closed before high noon. And we survived, because people knew how to schedule their shopping, or at least plan around the holidays.

And the sad part is, that wasn't even that long ago.

You'd be surprised how many people care less about Thanksgiving and the family thing nowadays, particularly with younger folks. Some don't even celebrate Thanksgiving on Thursday.

As time passes on, time honored traditions are being turned on their head and people aren't so tied down by tradition any longer and are just doing what they want to do instead.

Only thing that'll change the holiday creep is either by the workers themselves against their employers or the gov.

This post has been edited by rondo: 19 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

#8 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostTiamat97, on 19 November 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

and they try to make it ok by giving us an associate appreciation day where on one transaction we get 25% off but only if you worked any time on thanksgiving.

That sucks being tied to working on Thanksgiving.

#9 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

View Postrondo, on 19 November 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

You'd be surprised how many people care less about Thanksgiving and the family thing nowadays, particularly with younger folks. Some don't even celebrate Thanksgiving on Thursday.

As time passes on, time honored traditions are being turned on their head and people aren't so tied down by tradition any longer and are just doing what they want to do instead.

Only thing that'll change the holiday creep is either by the workers themselves against their employers or the gov.

This is very true. I'd be lying if I said there was never a time when I wanted to just do my own thing on Thanksgiving. (Moreso now, since hahaha being married with my parents and nearly all the in-laws living within a two-county radius makes things chaotic.) But at the same time, it's kinda heartbreaking.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#10 User is offline   MOMO2 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 49830

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

I work retail and it is a big joke and I will not support this at all. If my store does this one day I will quit.
The only thing to fear is yourself.

#11 User is offline   S1NN3R 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 11618
  • Location:Barrington, IL - US / London, England - UK )( Sector 7C

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:33 AM

View PostOreo_Otaku, on 18 November 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

... The problem I see with that is we are a small business with me and the owner as the only employees with some help from her family sometimes during the holiday shopping season. ...

You may want to bring up the idea of "Small Business Saturday" to your boss/ store owner. Many small businesses are purposly closed on Thanksgiving and the day after (Black Friday) for this reason. It may not hurt to post signage as well.

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 18 November 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

What is with the people wanting to open early?

Thanksgiving meals that involve family(s) typically start earlier do to expected travel and other family events, such as multiple parties or the football game, resulting in earlier ends to the festivities. Advertisers see this and roll out the idea of "Since you have time, why not shop?" Needless to say, it works rather well. Black Friday is the current result of this mentality. It's our job as consumers to say when we've had enough. So far, it hasn't happened.

View Postrondo, on 19 November 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

You'd be surprised how many people care less about Thanksgiving and the family thing nowadays, particularly with younger folks. Some don't even celebrate Thanksgiving on Thursday. As time passes on, time honored traditions are being turned on their head and people aren't so tied down by tradition any longer and are just doing what they want to do instead.Only thing that'll change the holiday creep is either by the workers themselves against their employers or the gov.

Thanksgiving itself has evolved. We classify the "first Thanksgiving" with the pilgrims and Native Americans (not necessarily together) sharing their harvests, yet we fail to acknowledge that it predates even that. Through out history and cultures this was done after bountiful harvests world wide. Yes, through time it has become a staple as a "family" holiday but times change. People and cultures change. Traditions change. It's not that they don't care, but HOW they care. If they want to focus more on another holiday or themselves, so be it.

I personally believe in keeping Thanksgiving a day to share with my friends and family. I believe that there will be a point when people say enough. Until then, I'll look at it as any other fad.
This too will pass

"You'll never have any answers untill you ask the questions"
When people start asking, I'll answer.

Contact Me

Acens attended. 1998-2002, 04-06,08-Present

#12 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

I think the stores opening on Thanksgiving is extremely unacceptable and very unfair. Working in a mall, all the stores including mine are forced to open, but luckily my work said "nope, that's not happening" and paid hefty fines to stay closed...which I'm grateful for. I really do hope it becomes a fad, and not a habit when people realize that precious guaranteed family time is gone because "they had to go get that super cheap laptop at :insert store here:." I am personally boycotting any shopping on Thanksgiving. I feel for all of you that have to work on Thanksgiving. I will be supporting you by not leaving my house that day.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#13 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

It'll only be a fad when people stop shopping on Thanksgiving and guess what, the can of worms has been opened and it'll never be shut. See the people complaining about it this year..then go out this Thanksgiving and see just how crazy busy these places will be.

You can hope that people will reverse the trend and don't shop on Thanksgiving but there won't be enough people that care to make that happen. What you are left with are the hopes the government makes laws to stop or curb it, like forcing employers to pay double/triple time on holidays...but even that may not be enough to change their mind.

Next year, see how many times business advertise pre-black friday or black friday-esque sales all year long. You'll see that retailers can't get enough of it (many of them need as many sales days as they can muster and being up against online doesn't help)...and the people will suck it up.

Check out this video from company PC Richard & Son (closed on Thursday), who makes fun of Black Thursday. Link

This post has been edited by rondo: 20 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

#14 User is offline   Genichiro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61483

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

I don't like it one bit. Honestly, the lack of focus on being with family these days is kinda depressing. I like to spend it with family I only get to see once a year. Who knows who may not be with us this time next year, and then I'll be stuck regretting that I skipped out because of something like cheap electronics. I think the stores who are helping to build this pro-materialism viewpoint should take a look at themselves and think. Then again, all the rich people who made these decisions are going to be with their families, while the people working in their companies are forced to deal with decisions stemming from their greed.

#15 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

i would love to like what you just posted, however this isnt facebook so i cant. but truer words have not been spoken about our rich ceo's deciding that the people who are making them their money are not important and should be treated as souless lifeless interchangable robots. the problem with the workforce today is that you're just as replaceable as the next guy, which is also why our paychecks dont reflect the companies gratitude for your time
My internship

#16 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

I like how people think they're getting the absolute best deals on things when they can't calm their pants and wait for an even better deal without the chance of being trampled to death. All holidays are commercialized to Hell and back, just like Presidents Day sales and Memorial Day blowouts.

I love not being part of this commercial hornswaggle.

Posted Image
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#17 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

My boyfriend works at McDonald's. He doesn't have his schedule for next week yet, but I'm willing to bet he'll be working on Thanksgiving. Which means I won't be able to go home and see my family. I mean, I can, but I wouldn't want to go without him. This really ticks me off that McDonald's is open. I refuse to shop anywhere on Thanksgiving. I mean really.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#18 User is offline   Oreo_Otaku 

• Registration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2339
  • Location:inside your mind... I'm a figment of your imagination

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

I saw Starbucks hours located outside a near outdoor mall. They are almost similar to McDonalds. They open on Thanksgiving at 5am and close at 10pm Black Friday.

One thing that makes me laugh is the excuse, "It's because Thanksgiving is late this year." We've had late Thanksgivings before. It cycles this late like every 5-6 years.
[center]How's my driving? Flip FOB Driver Pro: Oreo_Otaku. Comments? CALL: 111-555-9999
If you can read this you get a pat on the back.
I drank GOD and it is good!!!
Part of POWA*PinoyOneWorldAlliance*
ninja>pirates!
Acen Hamburglar

#19 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

So glad I do not work at retail. I do hate the fact that many stores are doing this Black Thanksgiving B.S. tho. THANKS COOPERATE GREED!!
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#20 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

I agree with Ms. Lovely Cookie. Thanksgiving is supposed to be about spending time with family. It's a shame that all these businesses can't realize that meaning. They understand one thing and one thing only, money. I sympathize with those who wont be able to enjoy the good food prepared that day, but have to deal with being on their feet all day dealing with customers who can be rude or obnoxious. Who needs that?
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa)

#21 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

midieval times is going to be open as well, but what they are doing is they have invited anyone affected by the tornadoes last sunday for a complimentary dinner for those without a place to hold a family feast. that is something worth giving up time with the family
My internship

#22 User is offline   DarkMimi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 38289

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

It's crazy how they're cutting into the holiday like this and not even giving two shakes about the employees who might have plans with family and friends. But nope, greed is winning out. I know some people will boycott, myself included, but it truly won't be enough to make them realize that pushing back their sales isn't going to hurt them.

Medieval Times sounds amazingly nice to do that, now that's a reason to open up early. Not some laptop that's going to be on sale for the first five or ten people who trample over everyone else to get it.

2014 Cosplay Plans
Bioshock Infinite - Daisy Fitzroy (0% Completed)
Batman - Talia Al Gul (0% Completed)
Princess Peach: Military Style (0% Completed)

Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon X, and Borderlands 2
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! HERE!!!
I <3 Friends Who Keep In Touch

#23 User is offline   Goldeneyeuro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58858

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

I'm not in retail, I have an office job. A bit of me says to employees who have to work that day, "Hey, hours, more money, be happy," but I question how many people will be willing to make that trade-off versus spending time with their families. I'm sure some people won't mind working that but the large majority will hate it...

I'll be going, since I have a few things I'd like to pick up (I never go for large-ticket items like televisions or laptops), but in terms of pushing the start time earlier and earlier, enough is enough. I've heard the reason it's pushed back is because of the short holiday season, but I think everything needs its boundaries- too much of anything is detrimental. Black Friday should have just stayed on Friday, midnight start date is the earliest. I just hope that retailers will roll back the start time to midnight on Friday soon, but I'm not counting on that happening next year...
Never be average... - myself.
When life has no purpose, you're dead already. - Kiba from Wolf's Rain

Planned ACen 2K14 Cosplays:
Lavi (2nd outfit)- D. Gray Man, Lio Izumi- Full Moon wo Sagashite, Rei Ryugazaki (nightclub outfit)- Free!, Kamui Gakupo (Fate/Rebirth outfit)- Vocaloid

My Flickr- click for my photos

#24 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostGoldeneyeuro, on 24 November 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

I just hope that retailers will roll back the start time to midnight on Friday soon, but I'm not counting on that happening next year...

That is not going to happen. What will happen is that the start will be pushed earlier. It will get to Thanksgiving morning and creep into Wednesday. Thanksgiving will wind up being another day open for retailers highlighted by long business hours. Many of the 24 hour shops are already opened on that day fully as well as a number of retailers all day. It just a matter of time before others follow suit.

#25 User is offline   Genichiro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61483

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'm waiting for the day where my store won't even close for Christmas anymore, because they think they can make a buck. I work at a grocery store, so it's not as bad other areas in retail. I feel sorry for those working until 6 on Thanksgiving, as that cuts back the time they get to spend with their families, but it's not as bad as having to go to work at 4 in preparation for an early Black Friday opening at major retailers. I salute the retailers not caving into pressure and keeping Black Friday on Friday, when it's supposed to be.

#26 User is offline   wolverine33 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 582

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

At our mall the main stores opened early but the mall itself didn't open until Midnight..

It's sad because they have been opening earlier for the last 2-3 years and now
their opening at 8 and 10 pm, I think stores will open even earlier next year... :thumbdown:

Me and my wife REALLY dislike the big companies wiping out Thanksgiving and
coming up with lame excuses to justify it, they would get rid of Christmas Day if
they knew it would bring in more $$$$ into their pockets....

Later B)

#27 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

View Postwolverine33, on 08 December 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Me and my wife REALLY dislike the big companies wiping out Thanksgiving and
coming up with lame excuses to justify it, they would get rid of Christmas Day if
they knew it would bring in more $$$$ into their pockets....

going to happen very soon. maybe not this year but it might be more likely next year. apparently last year walmart tried having some stores open on christmas to see how it would go, obviously if they still made money theyll decide to keep the doors open, but this year theyve decided not to open
My internship

#28 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

In a weird but not completely unexpected way, opening earlier for a number of stores on Thanksgiving lessened the crush on Friday.

#29 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

it would be expected because all the deals were earlier, and if you werent there you need to expect that those items are gone, so without any real sales on friday, it just turns into another shopping day
My internship

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users