Anime Central Forums: Does cosplay.com ban ip addresses? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Does cosplay.com ban ip addresses? Or is it just down?

#1 User is offline   Level-5 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62879

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

For the past two days I can't go on cosplay.com.

I was on there (two days ago) and tried to post a used cosplay ad (Vocaloid) and got a white page. I tried refreshing it but it still showed up as a white screen. So I tried to see if other parts of the site would work and then it went "This page cannot be loaded/displayed."

I tried Firefox and chrome and the same thing happens. It doesn't load at all. Ever other website works but cosplay.com. I asked a friend to check it out and he said it works for him so it must just be me.

So I was wondering did cosplay.com ban me from the website or is it down? The only other thing I can think of that I've done is ask about cosplay.fu stock photos and is it a trusted site to buy cosplay shoes; I discovered that a mod or someone deleted my thread the same day. (I had no idea asking about cosplay.fu was even against the rules.)

I'm communicating with someone via pms on cosplay.com so I just wanted to ask. Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

It is not down for me.
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#3 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:50 AM

I'd like to think no website has the ability to ban your IP from viewing the site. I understand banning your IP from signing up on a site and whatever, but not viewing...
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (60%; Fairy Tail)
Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series), Pearl (100%; Steven Universe)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#4 User is offline   Level-5 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Post icon  Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostAshori, on 10 November 2013 - 01:50 AM, said:

I'd like to think no website has the ability to ban your IP from viewing the site. I understand banning your IP from signing up on a site and whatever, but not viewing...

Well I'm not sure what's the problem :( Its frustrating because I'm trying to sell a few items and now I can't message them! It hasn't been working for three days now!

#5 User is offline   Genichiro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61483

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

The hosting service they use has a very quirky filter that seemingly blacklists IPs for no reason. I refreshed a search, and it ended up happening to me. Best advice I can give is to get your IP, and use a friend's computer to PM the staff and ask them to remove the ban. They've been trying to fix it for a while, but it still keeps hitting people.

#6 User is offline   Level-5 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostGenichiro, on 10 November 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

The hosting service they use has a very quirky filter that seemingly blacklists IPs for no reason. I refreshed a search, and it ended up happening to me. Best advice I can give is to get your IP, and use a friend's computer to PM the staff and ask them to remove the ban. They've been trying to fix it for a while, but it still keeps hitting people.

Did this work for you? Using a friend's computer to pm the staff to remove the ban.

I'm going to try this thank you. I just found it weird that I Was ip banned for no reason at all considering that I only use cosplay.com to buy/sell/ask questions like cosplay information or props.

#7 User is offline   Genichiro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61483

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostLevel-5, on 12 November 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Did this work for you? Using a friend's computer to pm the staff to remove the ban.

I'm going to try this thank you. I just found it weird that I Was ip banned for no reason at all considering that I only use cosplay.com to buy/sell/ask questions like cosplay information or props.

I had to reset my IP, since none of my friends live nearby, but that's what others have done. There's a thread on there about it somewhere where they mention the odd filter they have.

#8 User is offline   kopf1988 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 12164

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostAshori, on 10 November 2013 - 01:50 AM, said:

For reference, any website can easily do this. They can make the website not appear at all, based on your IP address, if they wanted. It's very simple to implement, even.

It is however bad user experience to do so without giving the user an explanation.
I manage the list of Anime Conventions on UpcomingCons.com
Conventions Attending: ACen, Ohayocon, NebrasKon, Anime-zing! 2012, and Anime Midwest Chicago and Anime-ZAP! in Peoria, Illinois.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users