• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Copyrights and Trademarks Taking your art from the con to the internet

#1 User is offline   Cashew12 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 64272

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi Guys, some of yall might remember me from 2008 cause i cosplayed as Tony Tony Chopper from One Piece, hehehe. My question is have anyone ever tried to contact the copyright or trademark holder of some of these animes or video games to get permission to sell outside of cons? I have heard that Salior moon let fans make stuff with their characters on it and sell it but I want permission cause I don't want to get in trouble. Like I'm trying to contact sega for some info. I just emailed them and they said I should get answer tomorrow. I can't wait hehe.

#2 User is offline   Kitchan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 24242

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostCashew12, on 27 October 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

Hi Guys, some of yall might remember me from 2008 cause i cosplayed as Tony Tony Chopper from One Piece, hehehe. My question is have anyone ever tried to contact the copyright or trademark holder of some of these animes or video games to get permission to sell outside of cons? I have heard that Salior moon let fans make stuff with their characters on it and sell it but I want permission cause I don't want to get in trouble. Like I'm trying to contact sega for some info. I just emailed them and they said I should get answer tomorrow. I can't wait hehe.

When I was an artist, and involved in the Megatokyo comic community, I did arrange to ask Fred Gallagher (the creator) about a doujin/novelization project (this was back in 2003). But that was for a con, and for a particular item.

So I'm really not sure. On the one hand, it's best to ask (if you can), but copyright holders and asking creators can be tricky, as licenses (especially for anime!) get transferred or different companies may hold certain rights and not others. For example: Yen Press holds the Umineko: When They Cry North American manga license, but not anything else on that property (last I checked) and if you wanted to check in with any of the other holders, that pretty much leaves 07th Expansion and Studio DEEN.

Just remember - if they tell you no, that's the final word on it.
A wild Kit has appeared! What will you do?

#3 User is offline   Cashew12 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 64272

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostKitchan, on 27 October 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

When I was an artist, and involved in the Megatokyo comic community, I did arrange to ask Fred Gallagher (the creator) about a doujin/novelization project (this was back in 2003). But that was for a con, and for a particular item.

So I'm really not sure. On the one hand, it's best to ask (if you can), but copyright holders and asking creators can be tricky, as licenses (especially for anime!) get transferred or different companies may hold certain rights and not others. For example: Yen Press holds the Umineko: When They Cry North American manga license, but not anything else on that property (last I checked) and if you wanted to check in with any of the other holders, that pretty much leaves 07th Expansion and Studio DEEN.

Just remember - if they tell you no, that's the final word on it.

Im looking to get info from sega really. so its not anime.

This post has been edited by Cashew12: 27 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users