• You cannot reply to this topic

Just a phase... WHAT ARE MOMS EVEN

#31 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

My mom is very supportive of me and my hobby, so I've never had this problem either. She thinks it's great and is impressed that cosplaying has inspired me to start sewing (I've been commissioning costumes until now -- quite pricey XD). She's supportive in every way and I haven't heard her say a bad thing about it, nor even raise an eyebrow, even when I'm shelling out $400 for a costume.

I always feel very fortunate for having her in my life, especially when my best friend's parents are... not so supportive. They criticize her for spending any money whatsoever, even traveling for cons (apparently it's weird/taboo to leave the area EVER). My mom is just like, "oh, you're going to Chicago? That's cool! Have a good time!" She's so supportive of me having experiences that I care about, no matter what it is.

And it's not just because I'm good and grown either. I'm 20 now, but I've been going to conventions since I was 15. She was fully supportive even when I was wee and young. My friend's parents? She's 22 and can't do anything without them giving her grief.

If you're one of those lucky people who have a supportive parent/guardian, be thankful for them! It's surprisingly rare in this hobby, so treasure it! For those of you who don't have a supportive parent/guardian, or really if there's anyone who treats you negatively, don't let them get you down. Life is too short to spend your time worrying too much over what others think. If you aren't harming yourself or others, continue doing what you love!
ACen 2015 cosplay:
Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - 0% (planning stages)
Fem!Slenderman - 30%
Shirahoshi Hime (One Piece) - 50%

#32 User is offline   MCP 3.3 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 64951

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

The only time I ever got the phase vibe was from my dad the first year I went, and even then, it seemed to be more him griping about driving up to Chicago for just a weekend (I was 17 and not allowed to drive up myself) but after we got there, I think he had more fun than me! He loves to people watch and that year he ended up buying a cup of coffee and just sitting in the Hyatt lobby area just astounded at all the costumes. He eventually bought some disposable cameras and ended up being the photographer for our trip. My mom has always been supportive, and actually loves helping me make the costumes my brother and I wear.
END OF LINE.

#33 User is offline   eat_me_for_I_am_peeps 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59774

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

View PostMCP 3.3, on 24 January 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

The only time I ever got the phase vibe was from my dad the first year I went, and even then, it seemed to be more him griping about driving up to Chicago for just a weekend (I was 17 and not allowed to drive up myself) but after we got there, I think he had more fun than me! He loves to people watch and that year he ended up buying a cup of coffee and just sitting in the Hyatt lobby area just astounded at all the costumes. He eventually bought some disposable cameras and ended up being the photographer for our trip. My mom has always been supportive, and actually loves helping me make the costumes my brother and I wear.

That sounds absolutely lovely :3 I always like hearing that when parents take their kids, they end up enjoying themselves too
Need some Rave Gear? I got you! http://kittyandquinn.../kittysravegear

#34 User is offline   MCP 3.3 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 64951

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

View Posteat_me_for_I_am_peeps, on 27 January 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

That sounds absolutely lovely :3 I always like hearing that when parents take their kids, they end up enjoying themselves too

It's been 10 years since then, but every year I go now, I will get calls during the con because he has found pictures of us online!
END OF LINE.

#35 User is offline   rei chan 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59236

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

My mom has always been supportive of me cosplaying and going to conventions. I think that she was just happy that I didn't get arrested and do drugs like a lot of my classmates. XD My grandmother on the other hand was always hoping that it was a phase.. she told me just the other day that since I was almost 22 that it was time to put away the child costumes and grow up. *rolls eyes* Ive been cosplaying for almost 9 years, don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

#36 User is offline   Raenef 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 64953

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Ever since I was 14 (Which was a long time ago) my mom has been extremely supportive with conventions and cosplaying. Even now, since I'm almost 23 she will still go fabric shopping with me, and help me with the long hunts of trying to find the perfect item for a costume. (It honestly took 3 months to find a pair of plain white pants once, and she drove me over three hours away to finally find the right pair.)

My dad though was hoping it was a phase. I had to go to a friends house to color my hair, and he never helped me with my props...'till I was 17. My mom couldn't take me to a con I had already gotten a room for, so he had to go. Three days of seeing how nice everyone was, and what the type of atmosphere was at a con, then he gave in. Now he helps me with props, and ideas of how to do things.

If it's a phase, it's a REALLY long one.
2014 Cosplays
- Canada (Hetalia) (100%)
- Sealand (Hetalia) (100%)
- Neptune (Hyperdemension Neptunia) (87%)
- Blue Link (Legend of Zelda) (98%)

Past Cons
- GenCon (x9), Anime Central (x6), MetroCon (x5), Anime Crossroads (x4), OhayoCon (x1), SugoiCon (x1), AnimeNEXT (x1), (Colossalcon (x1) ( = 28cons)

#37 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 64919

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

What a great topic. Moms rule =) This is my first con and my mom thinks its awesome that I found a hobby and my Grandmother loves the fact I got into sewing!

#38 User is offline   C-B 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65009

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

I always find it funny when parents think it's a phase. Honestly, some of them are right. However, most aren't. They'll often give the stink eye to Anime cons, until they go themselves. I can't tell you how many parents I've seen there for their first time, only to either love the con, or, more often then not, get into anime a bit themselves.

I remember one dad who was dragged by his daughter to the con. I talked to them in line on Thursday, by Saturday, He was having a ball, maybe more then his kid. The next year, he was cosplaying. Nothing too dramatic, but a cosplay nonetheless. It made me laugh and get that warm and fuzzy feeling. Always great when parents get into what their kids are.
"Conscripted" Volunteer ADH - 2014

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users