• This topic is locked

Ghost in the Shell panels 2014

#1 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

Hi everyone! Both the Ghost in the Shell panels have been officially approved and are ready for action again this year!

Just to refresh your memory, "My Ghost whispers, therefore I am" is a panel discussion the philosophy behind the first two Ghost in the Shell films directed by Mamoru Oshii. And the "Let's Form a Stand Alone Complex!" panel is a discussion about the philosophy behind all the "Stand Alone Complex" incarnations directed by Kenji Kamiyama.

I am very excited for both panels this year, as both are tweaked and we will be discussing new content! And no, I did not forget about Ghost in the Shell: ARISE, so we will definitely will be discussing that as well! And as always, NO PRIOR philosophy knowledge is needed! Every philosopher/theorist we cover will be explained :)/>.

Again, all suggestions are welcome, I am always looking for new ideas! :)/> So please do not hesitate to either post them here or PM me! ^_^/>
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#2 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Sorry to double post, but I accidently put this in the wrong forum! Total blonde moment!!! XD Mods, could you move this to the "panels" forum? sorry about that! XDDDD nursing school has fried my brain yet again! XD
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#3 User is offline   mastermind_ninja 

• Con Ops Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 63377

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Your panel sounds pretty awesome but can you give me an example of a theory or some Philosophy you would talked about? Obviously Ghost in the Shell is a pretty deep show so there is a lot of stuff you could cover. I don't know if you’re familiar with the website TV tropes but they might have more material for you.

#4 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Hey there! Thanks for your interest! :3

And yeah, GITS is quite deep, and that's why I love it--since there is so much to cover! A lot of the philosophy that is discussed in the panels is from the field "philosophy of the mind." For example, a big theory and argument we will discuss is the "mind-body" problem--the argument of the separation from mind or "consciousness," or "ghost" from the physical body. Ultimately, we get into a theory/viewpoint called Emergentism--which states a non-physical entity like a consciousness, for instance) can emerge from physical aspects that reach a certain complexity. So this helps create a base so we can dive into the mind-body problem, which Ghost in the Shell does A LOT. We will attempt to find ourselves some answers!!!!!! :3 For example, some philosophers we would address would be Rene Descartes, Jaegwon Kim, and I hope we can get into some David Hume as well, if time allows :)/>. In addition, we will also discuss a lot of political philosophy, in terms of Hideo Kuze, Kazundo Gouda and the Solid State Society.

So I can assure you that you won't be bored, and there will be lots of discussion!
Thanks for the suggestion of the website though! I really appreciate it! And hey, if there's anything that you think we should discuss/bring up, feel free to shoot me a PM--I'm always looking for more suggestions. Multiple heads are better than one! :3

#5 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Alright! The final panel schedule is up and ready to go! I hope all of you can make the Ghost in the Shell focused panels this year! :D Hope to see everyone there and let's get some of our questions answered and find the "truth!" :D :highfive: :happydance:

The panel My Ghost whispers, therefore I am (panel is based off of Mamoru Oshii's two films) is:
Friday, May 16th 1:15PM-3:00PM in Panel Room 6 in the Donald E Stephens Convention Center

The panel "Let's Form a Stand Alone Complex!" (panel is based off of all SAC incarnations and the addition of ARISE) is:
Friday, May 16th 6:00PM-7:45PM in Panel Room 10 in the DESCC
B)

#6 User is offline   Djm 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 24210

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

Excuse the bump, but I just wanted to say that I attended both panels, and they were both awesome. Extremely well researched, and the hostess' passion for GiTS was infectious (even though I love everything GiTS already).

Both panels were extremely in depth and she made some very not-so-easy material interesting and entertaining. If every panel were this well put together, the world would be a wonderful amazing awesome place all the time.
"The net is vast and infinite"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users