Please help me find... a thread for cosplayer item help

#1 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hello all!

I decided to make this thread because I figure I am not the only person in the ACen cosplay world who needs a specific something but has no idra where to start looking. Feel free to post what you are searching for and of course answers if you have them.

I'll kick it off!

I am looking for boots for two cosplays.
Angewomon - ankle boots, white, with a heel
Sailor Luna - Blue go go boots.

Pictures for both are available in my signature.

Also , I am looking to see if anyone can recommend a good but not to expensive place to get good quality feathers for my Angewomon wings. Currently looking at $20 for 1/4 lb (approx. 2000 rooster feathers).

Thanks in advance and I hope this is helpful for others.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#2 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:50 AM

For boots, if you need them in unusual colors and aren't having any luck, you can always get boots in a different color and paint them. They make paint specifically for leather/pleather that won't crack or chip:

http://www.dharmatra...ther-paint.html

I've used it before when I've needed a color that just does not exist at all in everyday wear. It's pretty awesome!

#3 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Thanks! I was thinking that but didn't know what kind of paint would work! Thanks so much!
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)

#4 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

For the feathers I would check eBay. I looked all around the internet for the best deals, and I ended up ordering feathers from someone there. I also found a great deal on bulk silk flowers too if anyone needs those.

There are so many sellers with those kind of supplies on eBay that it creates a competitive environment. So you can find some really low prices!
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#5 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

One of my favorite places for funky shoes is Discount Stripper. XD

http://www.discounts....com/index.aspx

Their prices are alright and they have some neat additions you can add for comfort and non slip, but it's also a good place to research names/brands so that you can search for them in other places like Amazon or Ebay incase you can find a better price.

#6 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostJujuFox, on 27 September 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

For the feathers I would check eBay. I looked all around the internet for the best deals, and I ended up ordering feathers from someone there. I also found a great deal on bulk silk flowers too if anyone needs those.

There are so many sellers with those kind of supplies on eBay that it creates a competitive environment. So you can find some really low prices!

Cool. Are there any sellers you recommend? I'm ebay paranoid. Lol

View PostIris, on 27 September 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

One of my favorite places for funky shoes is Discount Stripper. XD

http://www.discounts....com/index.aspx

Their prices are alright and they have some neat additions you can add for comfort and non slip, but it's also a good place to research names/brands so that you can search for them in other places like Amazon or Ebay incase you can find a better price.

Looks great! I was immediately able to find the blue boots there! A great place with lots of options!

#7 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 27 September 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Cool. Are there any sellers you recommend? I'm ebay paranoid. Lol

I bought the feathers back in 2010, and I can't go back that far in my purchase history to find from who I got them from.

Just check their feedback if you're worried. Don't buy from anyone rated less than 90% is my usual policy, but you have to account for some bogus reviews too, so I usually read the feedbacks to see if it was the seller's fault or just a crazy customer.

Also, you can filter by auction or "buy it now". I usually choose the buy it now filter because these are the sellers who regularly sell these items.

eBay also has buyer protection policies, so if you do have a problem there are steps you can take to resolve the problem or get your money back.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#8 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

For feathers, I've ordered from both plumesnfeathers.com and Matoska. plumesnfeathers has a wider variety of feather types, but Matoska let me split my order half left and half right curving feathers. I haven't ordered from them, but Rainbow Feathers is often recommended for cosplaying because it also lets you split between left and right feathers. If you're going for rooster tails, though, I don't think you have to worry about curving (I was ordering turkey wings). I believe strung is going to be your most efficient option for rooster tails. It's pretty easy to un-string them if you need to.

Going to second Dharma Trading. It's a solid place to order from (I buy from them often).

For shoes, I believe I used Shoe Buy for my Sailor Jupiter shoes. But wherever you go, make sure you read their return policy. Sometimes fit can be weird with costume shoes. :/

#9 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

Thanks! I am really appreciating all the feedback and advice! It is making this experience a lot easier!

Which leads me to seeing if I can get the same luck with my next search!

I am looking for crescent moon charms so that I can make the accessories for Sailor Luna:
Posted Image

I have already tried my local Michaels but to no avail. Also nothing at my Hancock fabric store. I will be trying Vogue fabrics next and maybe even the bead shop next to my job but I was wondering if there were any other assured places you guys might know of?

Thanks again!

This post has been edited by CrimsonAnime: 06 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

#10 User is offline   onemokona 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 64172

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Have you tried hobby lobby or JoAnn Crimson Anime?

Also I have an inquiry and I'm hoping that someone will know the name of this dress or even better, a pattern for it:

http://bioshock.wiki...le=Spider_1.png

I found this but I want the top and bottom to be identical to the picture provided: (sorry!)

http://www.ralphpink...enswear/dresses

Also a little about myself--I'm new to making clothes but I do have a friend's mom that is a seamstress. The simpler the better but I don't want it to look awful! I'm willing to try harder things but would like plenty of options just in case I fail! >.<

Also what kind of material would you suggest I use?

This post has been edited by onemokona: 07 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

#11 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

I have not though it does come highly recommended. Good news though - I was able to find a reasonably priced sailor moon commissioner that can provide me with the earrings AND even the Tiara saving me a bit of extra work. ^_^

Now - as for your character - I had to look at some other images and cosplayers because I am not familiar with the characters of the Bioshock franchise and I am still a bit unsure as to the design of the dress. From what I can tell it looks like a strapless dress with dual seams/darts for a better fit. The fabric seems like a lightweight cotton maybe a material similar to what nurses use for scrubs. As for patterns, I'd have to do some digging but currently I (and don't take this the wrong way - it's 11:30 pm as I type this) don't have time. I'll look though, see if I can help. ^_^

#12 User is offline   onemokona 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 07 October 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

I have not though it does come highly recommended. Good news though - I was able to find a reasonably priced sailor moon commissioner that can provide me with the earrings AND even the Tiara saving me a bit of extra work. ^_^/>

Now - as for your character - I had to look at some other images and cosplayers because I am not familiar with the characters of the Bioshock franchise and I am still a bit unsure as to the design of the dress. From what I can tell it looks like a strapless dress with dual seams/darts for a better fit. The fabric seems like a lightweight cotton maybe a material similar to what nurses use for scrubs. As for patterns, I'd have to do some digging but currently I (and don't take this the wrong way - it's 11:30 pm as I type this) don't have time. I'll look though, see if I can help. ^_^/>

That's fine. Bioshock is set in 1960s so I was attempting to find a pattern that way but there are so many pages to go through! I hope to have more time next month with juggling school and finding a pattern for this. I totally understand not having the time right now. I would appreciate any help I can get! ^.^ Also that is really awesome that you could find someone to commission your earrings and tiara! :D

#13 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

View Postonemokona, on 08 October 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

That's fine. Bioshock is set in 1960s so I was attempting to find a pattern that way but there are so many pages to go through! I hope to have more time next month with juggling school and finding a pattern for this. I totally understand not having the time right now. I would appreciate any help I can get! ^.^ />

Have you tried Vogue's or Butterick's vintage/retro collection of patterns? Most of those have princess seams on the bodice and a full skirt like that party dress.

Some links:

Vogue's Vintage line
McCall's Retro line

A Vogue dress
Another Vogue dress
A Butterick dress
Another Butterick dress

If you didn't like the skirt detailing, you could probably just do a simple circle skirt and be fine.

#14 User is offline   onemokona 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostTokoz, on 09 October 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Have you tried Vogue's or Butterick's vintage/retro collection of patterns? Most of those have princess seams on the bodice and a full skirt like that party dress.

Some links:

Vogue's Vintage line
McCall's Retro line

A Vogue dress
Another Vogue dress
A Butterick dress
Another Butterick dress

If you didn't like the skirt detailing, you could probably just do a simple circle skirt and be fine.

I have seen some vogue patterns but I'll have to look more thoroughly at them hopefully next week when schoolwork dies down! Thank you for the sites! :D I do have another question. Has anyone made a cowl before? I'm looking at something like this:

http://elderscrolls....i/Shrouded_Cowl

#15 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

View Postonemokona, on 09 October 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

I do have another question. Has anyone made a cowl before? I'm looking at something like this:

http://elderscrolls....i/Shrouded_Cowl

... Capes? View A there, with the mantle -- just take off the cape part?

#16 User is offline   onemokona 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostTokoz, on 10 October 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

... Capes? View A there, with the mantle -- just take off the cape part?

I'll give that a try! I did find a few other ideas as well. Thank you for the help! If I have any other questions I won't hesitate to ask.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users