Anime Central Forums: Textile Discount Outlet - Groupon offer - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Textile Discount Outlet - Groupon offer Anybody ever been?

#1 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:04 AM

Hi all!

I just came across a groupon for $20 for $40 at Textile Discount Outlet.
I love to save if I can on fabric and was wondering if anybody has been here and can share their opinion of the place.

Somethings I am looking for are:
-ease of shopping: Is the fabric easy to find and feel?
-helpful staff: I really like to have someone available to answer my questions and physically show me what can fit for what I am going for. This is one the huge reasons I love hancock. I go in with my patterns and reference images and they help me decide not only what williwork but also what an intermediate sewer like myself can feel comfortable using.
-Cost: I generally spend about $150-$200 on fabric and notions for 3 cosplays. I don't want to go higher than that if possible.

I of course welcome all other opinions and feedback.

And of course, feel free to grab this groupon for yourself too!
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#2 User is offline   Holmes 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 21707

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

I love that place! That is a fun deal too, I didn't know they had that on groupon

- The first floor is laid out really well. Easy to find and the fabrics are all lined up nice. These are the best quality fabrics they sell, but the prices aren't any worse than joanns. Actually the Lycra was only $5 a yard and perfect for my sailor Uranus costume. They also have a few with just trims and lots of lace.
-The upstairs is a hodgepodge, but still not horrible to navigate. Think the clearance bargain area at most fabric stores. I really take my time when upstairs so I don't miss anything, but I've found some great stuff digging around up there.
-The basement is a whole other story. It's dark and all of the fabric is everywhere. They have so much stuff but be careful and check that the fabric doesn't have water damage. A lot of the stuff in the basement doesn't have a price on it so you have to ask. I think you can haggle with them on basement finds, but I've never really found anything down there I had to have. There is some hardware findings down there though, zippers, buttons, stuff like that is normally just fine and the prices are cheap.

- Staff is ok, most are college students (possibly fashion students) so it depends on who is working. There is this lovely stocking girl who works on Sundays that's a doll. She's very knowledgeable and knows the stock well. I'm sorry I don't know her name. She didn't have a name tag and last I went there was April. I think she works every Sunday though. The owner is sorta gruff, but he is also knowledgeable about the stock and he's the one that gives you prices on unmarked stuff.

-I think if you take the time and look around a ton you should be able to find fabric to fit your budget. I mean $5 Lycra is a deal, I got all my Uranus stuff there and kept it under $40ish.

#3 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

The place sounds awesome!
Thanks so much for your feedback!
I have no isea if the groupon is still going pn but it sounds like I won't be too out if I dont have it.
Your enthusiasm actually makes me really eager to go....like...Now ! Lol.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)

#4 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

The place is huuuuuge! I'm supposed to go back the weekend of Ramencon..was hoping to get you guys some pictures. It's a warehouse building with three stories of generally well-priced (Leather for under $4 a sq. foot, yo.). They do have a decent selection of satins and upholstries..their beading/knick knacks are a bit to be desired, but you might be able to find something on the lower level (they had bra making supplies, which was pretty nice.)... otherwise, it was an awesome way to kill time just wandering and looking around.

#5 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

The more I hear about this place the more I really want to go.
Since my local hancock fabrics got closed down (the last survivor in the city) I have been kind of struggling for a place to fabric shop without having to drive. (Only have one car in the house and mom uses it for work and since I often times have weekdays off rather than weekends, I am more likely to head out via CTA)

I would love it if you can grab some pictures Cactusmomma! That'd be super awesome!

#6 User is offline   limegummi 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 30856

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

This thread's a little old, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents -- many fabrics come in wider widths (they seem made for commercial clothing production) so be aware that you can might be able to buy less. In addition to water damage, watch out for sun damage among the bolts near windows.

#7 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thanks! And it's never too late for great info! Even without the groupon this seems like the place to go!

#8 User is offline   Rinzle 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 62857

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

Im kinda drooling over this information lol. There is a hobby lobby where i live but its very limited on fabrics Joanns has a decent selection but i can never find the colors i need. or in the case of my halloween costume the color i needed i found at the last second and it was being discontinued so pooey to that and the distance is pretty much the same for the two joanns closest to me (about an hours drive). Im going to have to make a day trip for this seeing as how i live two hours away. It sounds like it would totally be worth it.
ACen 2015 cosplays
Himino- Pretear - Plant
Irelia base sking - League of Legends
Past Cons
ACen 2014-Otakon 2013-Anime Midwest 2013-ACen 2013-Anime Milwaukee 2013-ACen 2011- No Brand Con 2008-
Past cosplays
Neo Queen Serenity V.1 & V.2-Usagi Tsukino School uniform-Yuna FFX-Princess Serenity-

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users