Anime Central Forums: Thoughts on "Heroes of Cosplay" on the Sci-Fi Channel. - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Thoughts on "Heroes of Cosplay" on the Sci-Fi Channel.

#1 User is offline   Mock-Kappa 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3036
  • Location:A branch of the Miskatonic University in Sugar Grove, IL.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

By now I'm sure some of us have seen "Heroes of Cosplay". What's everyone opinion on this series?

So far based on Ep. 1, I found it to be ok, interesting, and worth watching if only to nitpik at some of what goes on in the episode. 2.5/3 out of 4.

On one hand, it gives a good look at what goes into making a costume, trying to reach that level of being one with the character,what can happen when things to go as planned, and briefly touches on the atmosphere of a con and people do in their 9-5 world.

On the other, I found myself yelling at the tv at the fact that these heroes, some who are pro to semi-pro level and should know better, appear to waiting to the last minute to/two weeks before getting their costume together.
I don't walk to the beat of a different drummer, I have a whole band including bagpipes.
Undisputed King of the ACen Kaiju Fans. Eater of Spam.
General of the Men's Pocky Garrison
"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'. " -Dave Barry-
Santa is watching you.
Con outlook for 2014: Karoshi-con 2015, C2E2, ACen 2015, Anime Midwest 2015 (staff), G-Fest XXX, and Con Alt Delete?(staff)
ACen Cosplay outlook 15: End of Days Santa,Professor Birch (Pokemon), Jagaur D. Saul (One Piece).

#2 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

Just the trailers alone were pretty cringe worthy
My issue is they take things waaayyy too seriously. They kept saying generalizations like cosplayers spend thousands of dollars and single costumes. And that prizes at masquerades were also thousands of dollars. I don't know about you guys but most conventions I've attended the grand prize was like, a good sewing machine and a gift card. Most conventions don't really give cash prizes.

Then we have the show runner ( I will not say the name as well, they have/ do attend ACen ) Who has stated she had left her day job over ten years ago. Which anyone that follows her knows she's had a fairly normal career outside the cosplay world up until at least 2012. Also a couple of the cosplayers lied about not knowing this show runner. They actually did a pretty famous photo shoot together.

I'd take a documentary style, semi realistic approach of cosplay over this. Hell I would love a competitive show along the lines of project runway where cosplayers need to build costumes, get make up on, and be judged on an elimination basis. So they could still compete without it looking like that is what the cosplay community as a whole enjoys.

I'll watch it for the maximum Lewlz. That's about it.
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#3 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

My biggest problem with the show was hoe little they showed of the actual cosplay work. We saw glimpses of what they were working on and really only saw it when there was some problem that could have/did affect the timeliness of their cosplay. They took out the grueling and time consuming work and pumped up the drama.

I also agree that it was ridiculous to see these cosplayers waiting til the last minute to get their work done.

Finally - I really could not stand the girl who was CONSTANTLY worrying about her body size and shape in regards to her cosplay. We saw one moment of her sharpie dying the wig but the rest was workouts and worrying about her weight.....If anything, I felt that her almost obsession with being thin and fitting the body type was the worst representation of the cosplay world.

I probably won't watch the show again unless they change the format to include more actual construction.
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#4 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Sad to hear that the Scifi channel has fallen so low to air reality programing. Scifi, what happened to you? You used to be fun to watch. I used to look forward to being sick because it meant that I got to stay home and watch science fiction programs on Scifi.

Does Scifi even air Science Fiction any more?

This post has been edited by kahad: 14 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#5 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 14 August 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

Just the trailers alone were pretty cringe worthy
My issue is they take things waaayyy too seriously. They kept saying generalizations like cosplayers spend thousands of dollars and single costumes. And that prizes at masquerades were also thousands of dollars. I don't know about you guys but most conventions I've attended the grand prize was like, a good sewing machine and a gift card. Most conventions don't really give cash prizes.

Then we have the show runner ( I will not say the name as well, they have/ do attend ACen ) Who has stated she had left her day job over ten years ago. Which anyone that follows her knows she's had a fairly normal career outside the cosplay world up until at least 2012. Also a couple of the cosplayers lied about not knowing this show runner. They actually did a pretty famous photo shoot together.

I'd take a documentary style, semi realistic approach of cosplay over this. Hell I would love a competitive show along the lines of project runway where cosplayers need to build costumes, get make up on, and be judged on an elimination basis. So they could still compete without it looking like that is what the cosplay community as a whole enjoys.

I'll watch it for the maximum Lewlz. That's about it.

I'm afraid I do not know much about Yaya Hans personal life- I don't remember her saying anything about her job on the show- but I could have missed that. to be honest it did bother me that some of the people seemed to suggest that they did not know her- when they did a My Little Pony shoot together. The show was scripted but that isn't really surprising. I thought it would be more competition based but oh well. Ill only watch it because its after faceoff.

**Edit** It appears as though this show is a brainchild of non other than Yaya herself( as well as guys named "Heath, Prema, and Tulsy")- according to her friend and fellow cast mate "Scruffy Rebel"s post on facebook about the show. not a surprise then to see how much she is featured on the show.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 14 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#6 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

View Postkahad, on 14 August 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

Sad to hear that the Scifi channel has fallen so low to air reality programing. Scifi, what happened to you? You used to be fun to watch. I used to look forward to being sick because it meant that I got to stay home and watch science fiction programs on Scifi.

Does Scifi even air Science Fiction any more?

Sharknado.

#7 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 14 August 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

I'm afraid I do not know much about Yaya Hans personal life- I don't remember her saying anything about her job on the show- but I could have missed that. to be honest it did bother me that some of the people seemed to suggest that they did not know her- when they did a My Little Pony shoot together. The show was scripted but that isn't really surprising. I thought it would be more competition based but oh well. Ill only watch it because its after faceoff.

**Edit** It appears as though this show is a brainchild of non other than Yaya herself( as well as guys named "Heath, Prema, and Tulsy")- according to her friend and fellow cast mate "Scruffy Rebel"s post on facebook about the show. not a surprise then to see how much she is featured on the show.

shhh I was trying not to name names. : x
But yes, it is very very much her show. I just wish they wouldn't lie 60 % of the show when it is trying to cater to an audience that knows better.

Also , the sharpie dyed wig... strand by strand instead of making a rubbing alcohol mixture ( or hell, even buying a better color of wig) .. ( face palm)
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#8 User is offline   C2Queen 

• Publication Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 59630

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

Pretty disastrous to say the least...

Things we should have seen more of: Cosplayers and great friendships and relationships that have been built from the community and meeting people at conventions.
Instead --> Two girls bickering at each other stressing out over costumes who seemed like polar opposites talking negatively and getting mad throughout the entire episode making cosplay friendships look super stressful. Not to mention the girl cosplaying from MLP who was out drinking and being irresponsible and whining to her boyfriend the whole episode but also blaming him for everything that went wrong with her costume and fabrics she was trying to find.

Interviewing all sorts of cosplayers learning about how they got into their fandoms and more about them personally.
Instead --> 1 minute of panning showing really awesome cosplay, then a bunch of shallow cosplayers whining, freaking out, all sorts of negativity and showing very little crafting & productivity.

Getting to meet all sorts of cool unknown cosplayers who really love the community and work hard to show appreciation for their fandoms and have done great deeds for the community.
Instead --> Mostly elitist and more known cosplayers who market themselves and make new outfits just because they want publicity. BUT it wasn't extremely bad... You could tell they were somewhat into what they wore and that Jesse guy worked really hard on his Fallout 3 costume.

Wrong impressions they gave:
Cosplayers only want to win competitions and get well known in their outfits. That they are shallow and only obsessed with winning, their appearance, and getting their pics taken.
You've got to be in great shape/similar shape to the character otherwise people are going to be really negative towards you wearing something.
You have to BECOME the character otherwise you aren't a true cosplayer (voice impressions, their hobbies, etc)

Good things about the show:
You got to see all sorts of different cosplayers when it panned through some at the beginning of the episode & during the cosplay competition.
You got to see a small bit of them crafting their costumes/picking out fabrics and how it's easy to run into all sorts of problems when making a cosplay.
Guest appearance by Yaya Han, Jason David Frank, etc being judges for the competition.

Hopefully later episodes may clear up some things and give a better look at the cosplay community, but I somewhat doubt it =___=

Cosplayers are pretty much saying already "Ignore the show. It shouldn't change anything for us that are involved with the community already. Those who come into this world because it's the big new thing will eventually get out of the phase of cosplaying whenever it dies down with media, etc and the true lovers of this community will still be here."

I doubt the community would go back to being the way it once was or similar though. Regardless... the first episode had very little positive things about it if any.

Anime Central 2016 Cosplay (so far):
  • Asuna - Sword Art Online II: Mothers Rosario (Undine avatar)
  • Kotori - Love Live! School Idol Project (Maid Uniform)

For general questions & questions about forum registration -- EMAIL US or PM me personally.
PMing me is probably the faster way of receiving a response.

#9 User is offline   Cherry 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61587

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

To be quite honest with you guys, I have heard some serious smack about the show from tumblr, and it made me not want to watch it. However, my mom recorded it, and I groaned, though I found the show pretty interesting, though getting slightly angry at some of the commentary at the beginning. Though what they said, which I don't recall considering I don't have the best memory, isn't something I should be getting irritated about.
The cosplayers we saw in the viewing are the ones who do wait until the last minute, to do rather big projects. Which, in my personal opinion, we're all sort of like that. Maybe not with big projects such as the ones pictured, b u t, we do tend to wait until the last minute to get things done. And when I say we, I mean cosplayers in general, not just the ones in this thread.
There is negativity in cosplay. We got the girl who is freaking out about her weight, the one who freaks out about how it's not going to be good enough to impress, the one who wants to just compete with her friend who tries to assure her it's just for fun-- the list goes on. In the cosplay world, there's going to be people like that. Ones who constantly worry about how much they weigh and how they look. Sure, we can say time and time again "don't do that! Cosplay is for fun! Not for judging!" but they are still going to worry.
Now, yes, not all cosplayers want to compete. Not all cosplayers want to get things to an exact T just because they want to be that character. That's just some. Heroes of Cosplay just based off the show of that, and like some have said, I believe, are wrong for basing the show solely on that. Though they do show how dramatic cosplaying can be, how painful it can be to the mind and body, and how irritating it can be with sewing, painting, designs, etc.. I don't see anything wrong with that, because really, it can be, we just believe it is fun because cosplay = play = fun. There's just some that don't think that's not supposed to be fun. Which, there is nothing wrong with that, of course.
My thoughts on the show may sound confusing, but I don't have a way to explain it well, unfortunately. I do like the show, however, and I look forward to watching it everyday.

ACen '16
Casual and Maid Arakita Yasutomo (Yowamushi Pedal), Maid!Juvia (Fairy Tail),
Korekara no Someday Hoshizora Rin (Love Live!),
Spirit Albarn (Soul Eater), Kisumi Shigino (Free!).
Tumblr (pics will be posted here!)

#10 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

>Calling it Sci-Fi channel
>Not calling it SyFy
>Believing these are legitimate reactions and actions
>Still watching TV
>Getting my bonkers this clonked
>Making me respond
>The year of the common era 2013

You got me ACen. You really got me. I don't know how but you got me...

Posted Image
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#11 User is offline   CharlotteStar 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 11577

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostC2Queen, on 15 August 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Things we should have seen more of: Cosplayers and great friendships and relationships that have been built from the community and meeting people at conventions.
Instead --> Two girls bickering at each other stressing out over costumes who seemed like polar opposites talking negatively and getting mad throughout the entire episode making cosplay friendships look super stressful. Not to mention the girl cosplaying from MLP who was out drinking and being irresponsible and whining to her boyfriend the whole episode but also blaming him for everything that went wrong with her costume and fabrics she was trying to find.

This was the part that really bothered me - I understand that she felt off without her boyfriend being there but the constant complaining and whining was just childish. Here's hoping that it was just bad editing. :/
ACen 14 Cosplay

Date a Live - Kurumi Tokisaki
Saturday.Sunday

#12 User is offline   SandeulHwan 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63018

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

I thought it was pretty good. Seeing Yaya Han in action was amazing enough. but I wasn't a fan of Victoria.... she didn't take it very seriously in the end and it was so much more of being better than everyone to her than actually having fun.

#13 User is offline   Evangelion_Unit_01 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 26693

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

It's a pretty good show...don't like how they make it in to childish drama sometimes but you....it's reality tv -_-

Otherwise...yea I just wish they would actually show cosplay making. They show like 5 minutes of cosplay and like a half hour of Yaya Han's boobs
Cosplay Building Begins For 2015!
ACen 2015 Cosplay's
-Kirito (Sword Art Online) 20% Complete
-Toshiro Hitsugaya (Bleach) 100% Complete
-Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect 3 Version) 0% Complete

#14 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Looks like they might get sued for not having authorization for some of the pictures they use.

http://bgzstudios.co...n-against-syfy/
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#15 User is offline   wolverine33 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 582

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

I like the show, i know many won't because it doesn't get deep into the cosplay scene
but no show is perfect, i like watching how they put their cosplays together but i
agree with others here, how do pro/semi por cosplayers wait until the last minute to put
a cosplay together..

I don't about a big cash prize for the winner <_< i've heard some places had done it
but usualy you get anime or maybe some kind of gift card for stuff...

It can be good for new people to cosplay to watch just to get a slight idea on
how some put cosplays together...
Later B)

#16 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

It's just reality TV, so there's a lot of annoying "drama." I don't really like the impression that it seems to be giving to non-cosplayers - e.g., we're all a bunch of financially-irresponsible drama-mongers who can't handle living in the real world. But, I don't like, I don't watch. Whatevs.

I'm more peeved that they've been stealing people's photos. Not cool.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users