• You cannot reply to this topic

Cosplay Ignorance

#1 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

Check out this stupid slideshow: http://www.foxnews.c...n-2013/#slide=1 the images were probably borrowed from this local Fox page(http://fox5sandiego....comic-con-2013/) where no credits or comments were given about the cosplayers.

It's no secret that there is a lot of bad news reporting out there, but this is really sad.

If you're going to report about something you might want to learn a little bit about it. Do your homework so you don't look like a complete idiot. I love the caption on the very last photo, which is simply "Anime?"... not even close buddy. I'm not even a comic fan, but a quick Google search led me to deduce this was the most recent iteration of Black Canary.

And I guess some of the women aren't even in costume, they are just "hot". What a charming article. I'm not a feminist, but this I find sexist and very ignorant. What do you think? Do people just not understand cosplay like we do?
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#2 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:24 AM

View PostJujuFox, on 28 July 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

What do you think?

That you're getting way too overworked over a poorly done article on Fox News.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#3 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 29 July 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

That you're getting way too overworked over a poorly done article on Fox News.

It's not just one news site that does this though. Here is NBC's version(link). Again, ALL news outlets have bad reporting. It has nothing to do with political views.

This also reminds me about a more extreme incident that happened a year ago. A local ABC news station mocked Star Wars fans at a con(article). That was more just being mean, not ignorant.

You'd think with the growing popularity that conventions and cosplaying have seen in recent years that people would stop treating it as such an oddity. Major news outlets are covering the events, celebrities, and announcements at Comic Con, but they can't even take the time to do a little research, or take some pictures of not just "hot" women, but good cosplay in general? Men can be hot too, and have "sexy" cosplay, but instead they choose to play to the lowest common denominator and feature "babes" instead.

I'd have no problem if the slideshow was titled "Most Impressive Cosplays of Comic Con" or something like that.

P.S. - I'm not worked up, just looking to start a discussion about the mainstream media and it's views on cosplay. I thought it might be interesting to hear what the cosplayers here have to say about it.

Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#4 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

You can clearly see that the article was poorly done. My guess it that someone put something together to gain some views.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#5 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

There is very little good I would have to say where it concerns the mainstream media.

#6 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

this is typical
nothing out of the ordinary
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#7 User is offline   eat_me_for_I_am_peeps 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59774

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Dude I feel you, the article pisses me off too, like excuse you don't even admire the cosplay, but admire the body and pretty face. Not to mention that it makes me upset that I don't know if these people are even okay with their pictures being put up with a title like that.

Plus those screwing comments on the side?

"Lady Gaga, is that you?"

Mother screwer I will spirit blast you right into next year would be my response (Female Goku cosplayer pic)

This post has been edited by eat_me_for_I_am_peeps: 29 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Need some Rave Gear? I got you! http://kittyandquinn.../kittysravegear

#8 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

I really don't put much stock into what the media wants to say about cosplayers or how much they fail at trying to objectively capture the culture.

What I DO have a problem with is that they only seemed interested in getting hot girls to pose. They said nothing about the amazing work done on some of those cosplays and made no real effort to learn at least the characters names.... They can make all the dumb captions they want but shouldn't they at least ASK the "babes of comic-con" WHO they are cosplaying?
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#9 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Just 3 words, "Its FOX NEWS" :mellow:
ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#10 User is offline   AkaRisu 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63327

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

I take heart in the fact that other forms of media are at least starting to treat cosplay as mainstream...Certain TV shows and movies are touching on the subject. I can't be much more specific...Zach Braff has a project in the works that is supposed to include something about cosplay (does somebody know more about this?) And I'm sure Big Bang Theory has plenty to say about it, although I have mixed feelings about that show (it's not doing as much to normalize fandom as I'd like...every time I watch it, it seems like the point is still "haha, aren't geeks just so weird??")
I agree that things said on Fox news are not to be taken as the pinnacle of fine reporting, but it worries me that some people don't think to question the source when they watch the news (like a certain set of relatives of mine, that fully buy into the "haha, you're so weird" style of "appreciation" of cosplay).

#11 User is offline   kuro_ketsurui 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4769

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

I don't like Big Bang Theory for that exact reason, AkaRisu.

JujuFox, you almost made me unblock Fox's site to look at this slideshow. Then I realized something. It's Fox News. Those people are morons. They were trolls before trolling was invented. Fox is the Godfather of Troll. Don't feed the troll, JujuFox. Don't feed the troll.
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" -Scott Adams

Facebook

#12 User is offline   Fudgi P0pZ 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9430

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Really? I just see this type of mindset as a self-perpetuating thing originating from a bunch of reporters who are *trying* to gauge what their audience wants to read.

A possible thought process of a junior reporter [DISCLAIMER; I'm not insinuating anyone holds this type of mentality, but I wouldn't doubt it]:

"Ah. A Sci-fi con's in town, sounds geeky. It would get me a story, but what do Americans think of a Sci-fi con? That they're abnormal--but curious. Curiosity gets me readers! But I have to phrase it in a way that won't make everyday Americans feel bad about this curiosity. Why not play to some common tropes like "sex sells" or "geeks are strange"? Yeah! That now makes my article socially appropriate to publish on this major news site without making my editors question what in the world I was thinking."

Soooo, everyday American picks up a copy of this and they're like, "...okay. I guess this is what I should take from a Sci-fi con. The geek girls look good. Where's the funnies?"

I honestly think the mainstream could care less about geekdom BUT mainstream media insists on portraying it a certain way. I have a feeling that the people at the head of mainstream media are stuck in some decades old, stereotypical mindset that geeks are strange and the only thing we like about them are A and B. In reality, the mainstream doesn't care about them until mainstream media throws it in their faces and then they're like, "oh geeks are strange cuz that's what I learned from the media!" How do you find out about something new? You read about it. How do you read about it? You look up articles, studies, reviews, discussions, etc. Who makes the articles, studies, reviews, and discussions? Bingo! Self-perpetuating.

At least it makes sense to me. xDD
..::..2014 Cosplay Goals..::..
.: Aisha ClanClan:.

Keeping it light this year! :)

Thanks Neskaya for the lovely avatar.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users