Anime Central Forums: What's the rules regarding Hats in Concerts? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

What's the rules regarding Hats in Concerts?

#1 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:27 AM

Recently went to Anime Midwest and attended a concert there. While the show was getting ready the man in front of me was wearing a very tall top hat. A young woman that was sitting behind him a row down asked if he would take off his hat. He said that the hat was attached to his head. She asked if he could for just a short time and wanted to know if he had it glued to his head. He said no it was pinned and that he wouldn't take it off, and that she should find another seat if it was a problem.

All this was said before a staff member. The Member told the man, "I don't have the authority to tell you to take it off."

Later he pointed out to me others wearing top hats in the concert, these people took off their hats, he did not. Another staff member of Anime Midwest came over and asked him, again the man refused and the guy said, "Well I tried." and they had a laugh about it.

Question: At ACen what is the rules regarding this. Can people refuse to not take off head wear even when its blocking others and get away with it? Or would that man have been removed from the concert?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#2 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

Wow, funky situation. This has so many variables that I'm not going to be able to give you a simple straight answer, but it is important for every person who is in an event to be able to see the stage. Just like with a large prop (which are not allowed in Main Prog if they cannot be put out of the way), we'd try to help remedy any situation where someone's view is being blocked. I can't speak to the specific remedy because there are too many ways something like this would go, but if the person absolutely refused to take off their hat, I might see if we could relocate them to a part of the room where their hat would not block an attendee's view.

I apologize for the non-specific answer, but this is one of those many little things that require a million tiny judgement calls based on the situation, and a broad, sweeping response isn't the right response for this.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#3 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

You've obviously never been to a Grateful Dead or Phish show. People wear stupid top hats at concerts.

Edit: At some point in any concert, you'll inevitably end up behind some 6'6" guy who moves perfectly in sync with you, constantly blocking your view. He'll often have too much cologne and/or terrible BO. Just live with it for a bit. Eventually, he'll wander off to get a beer.

This post has been edited by Roark: 09 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

#4 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

That really stinks to hear about that situation. I always take off hats (or my tall Lucy Elfen Lied helmet) just to be nice to others view since I know how it is when your view is covered when you are short and cant see O_o. I would say it would be all situation based. I wish the person with the had could have been more courteous and moved at least :/.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#5 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

To be fair I can kinda understand where the guy was coming from. I have hats that have to be pinned into my hair, and putting them back on can be hellish if I take them off.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#6 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:01 AM

Right but he could have moved to the back row or at least switched seats as he was tall. The thing was, I can understand it being pinned on, but then he turned to me and started saying about people with the other hats on who took them off. It was like he felt he was being targeted because he was older, when that wasn't it at all.

It just seemed very odd when the Staff member goes and laughs with the guy after asking him to take it off, when he really didn't do much, and was joking with the man before the concert started. That seemed way wrong to me. He also was filming the concert with a rather large camera, and got annoyed when people were shouting at the band.

Thank you rabbi for your answer. I just wish we had had someone like you there as the staff that was called on seemed scared of the man, which they shouldn't be at all.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users