Anime Central Forums: No Platinum Badge (or similar ones)? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Platinum Badge (or similar ones)?

#1 User is offline   Brandonb 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63369

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Whilst browsing the "Registration" page on Youmacon's website, I noticed that they have something called a "Platinum" Badge.

...Why doesn't ACen have this?? :thumbdown: It seems this has been available at Youmacon for at least the past 2 or 3 years. One would think that a con twice as large as Youma would have something like a VIP option. It only seems natural. ^_^

Believe me, if I had the option- esp. to get in panels more easily- I'd have taken it in a heartbeat! :clap:

#2 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Sorry in advance for typos. I am on my phone

I had to hop over to the youma page to see just what a platinum badge offer and...it is pretty cool. Not sure if price wise it is worth more than double the cost of a notmal three day but the idea is nice.

I do agree. If ACen had something along these same lines I would get it.

And for those who don't already know about Youmacon's platinum badge already , here is what you get.

120.00 — Platinum Badge

A Platinum Badge has all of the benefits of a Three-Day, with these extra perks:
Priority positioning for the first 20 minutes in all autograph lines
Priority positioning for Main Events
A 2013 Youmacon T-Shirt
Admittance into either the Maid Cafe or Charity Ball
Entrance into one (1) video game tournament
The Dealers' Room will be open an hour early each day for Platinum Attendees

This post has been edited by CrimsonAnime: 08 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#3 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

Anime Midwest had this. It allowed for advances in the line, and other items as listed above. However I think it might have something to do with cost?

I do think there should be something like it, along with:

1. A badge just for venders and dealers rooms. Some people just come for that and don't want to see the panels so maybe we can have that?
2. A note on the badge denoting 21 + or Under 21 for staff members. Easier way to check the badge rather then card the person?
3. Family Pass? Some sort of group deal for a family to come with three or more people?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#4 User is offline   The Phantom Tapper 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 60075

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

I'm assuming ACen doesn't have this because of the sheer amount of people who go to the con. I feel like the panel rooms that ACen utilizes are already so small that people who can not afford platinum badges would not be able to get into any panels; I dunno though that's just my thought.
ACen 2011: Friday- Maka (Soul Eater) Saturday- Belle, yellow gown (Beauty and the Beast) Sunday- Katara or Maka
ACen 2012: Saturday- Nice Holystone (Baccano) Sunday- Mario

ACen 2013: Friday: Yuki Cross white uniform (Vampire Knight) Saturday: Yuki Cross white uniform, Saturday evening: Nice Holystone? Sunday: Yuki Cross white uniform
ACen 2014: Saturday: Sophie Hatter (Howl's Moving Castle) Sunday: Sophie Hatter

#5 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Personally, I don't terribly like these. They're really expensive, and ACen is already a really expensive con. I feel like it'd kind of dampen the experience for those of us who have to bust ourselves to save up what we need for the hotel, transportation, food, etc and then still have some spending money. I know I'd be pretty ticked if suddenly I missed out on a panel I really wanted to see or an autograph that meant a lot to me because ACen introduced something like this and a bunch of people bought them and I couldn't afford to. They aren't a big deal at smaller cons where there are less attendees anyway, but at a con like ACen? No thanks. Especially not the dealer room opening earlier. I'd pretty much be guaranteed to be screwed re; snagging any yuri doujins...
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#6 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

I think this would be a terrible idea. If you give special perks to those with large wallets you would be punishing those will small wallets.

Also, as already mention, space for some of the panels goes like crazy. It would suck it you missed that one panel you've been wanting to go to just because you could not afford the special badge.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#7 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

I don't see anything inherently wrong with it as long as it's more of a 'perks' thing and ACen doesn't start charging extra for content that used to previously be included in the standard badge price (such as, needing a premium badge to even get in an autograph line) BUT, that being said, because of ACen's sheer size this would really need to be carefully managed so that it doesn't effectively become that scenario.

For example, if this gives priority positioning in autograph lines or priority seating at events, what happens if the number of premium badge holders is equal or greater to the number of spaces in that line or the number of seats available? If even 1% of attendees buy such a badge, it would be several hundred people, and standard badge holders wouldn't stand a chance. If this gave priority seating for panels - forget about it. No one else would be able to get in ever.

Some cons have it where the premium badge gets you a free T-shirt or admittance into other events you would otherwise pay extra for, at a slight discount. I could see it working that way, by including a ticket to, say, a concert if we used the Rosemont Theatre again - it would save the attendee the hassle of remembering to purchase a separate ticket.

All cons I've been to that have special badges, I've felt that I was perfectly able to enjoy the con without buying one. If I ever felt that I weren't, I'd probably stop going to that con...

#8 User is offline   Brandonb 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63369

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

I hear your concerns, but I really wish there was a way to resolve the panel-crowding issues and keep all this in mind. I mean, I got to a few of the really-cool panel lines, like, 10-15 minutes (if not sooner) before, but they were still "too crowded" to let me in! <_</>/>/>/> Anime Jeopardy was "too crowded", for example. They were actually at "fire capacity", apparently.

It's really quite a pain to have to leave a good panel early just so you can *possibly* get into another one you're looking forward to.

Maybe ACen has just outgrown the current venue for panels...? Time to upgrade?? :mellow:/>/>

And believe me... I sorta blew a gasket myself when I saw the exorbitant price of the Platinum badge. :blink:

This post has been edited by Brandonb: 09 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

#9 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

Well there is an option that could work for the over crowding issue, the questions then are, are people willing to work with the suggestions.

My first one would be maybe utilizing some of the space in the fishbowl/dome area for panels, the two rooms on the sides that were used for Anime Midwest's Panel room 3 and 4 were larger, and Panel room 2 in the executive wing (which is used for the Con Staff at ACen for lunch I think?) were quite large and were able to hold a good chunk of people.

If this isn't an option...then on to suggestion number two.

My second suggestion is, having the panels run more than once. Certain panels fill up fast, and honestly maybe it's time to have them run more then one time. For example the Oregon Trail panel could be done on Friday and Saturday, or two times on Saturday or Friday. This way people that didn't go to see it can see it again. Those that go in the first time and saw it, have to get a mark or something on their badge so that others can go in to watch. If you saw it once you don't need to go to see it again. Of course the latter part of this doesn't have to go into effect just an idea of how to crowd control.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#10 User is offline   Evangelion_Unit_01 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 26693

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

I just don't think it would work for a convention of this size.

My hometown convention Anime Detour has what is called a sponsor badge which is $150 and you get a bunch of perks like express badge pick up, t-shirts, front of the line access to panes and events. The population of the con, however, is capped at 4,000-5,000 people...with all the people at Anime Central if they had this, many (non-special badge) members wouldn't be able to get in panels, etc.

There just isn't enough space in the panel rooms.
Cosplay Building Begins For 2015!
ACen 2015 Cosplay's
-Kirito (Sword Art Online) 20% Complete
-Toshiro Hitsugaya (Bleach) 100% Complete
-Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect 3 Version) 0% Complete

#11 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 10 July 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

My second suggestion is, having the panels run more than once. Certain panels fill up fast, and honestly maybe it's time to have them run more then one time. For example the Oregon Trail panel could be done on Friday and Saturday, or two times on Saturday or Friday. This way people that didn't go to see it can see it again. Those that go in the first time and saw it, have to get a mark or something on their badge so that others can go in to watch. If you saw it once you don't need to go to see it again. Of course the latter part of this doesn't have to go into effect just an idea of how to crowd control.

I like this idea. Especially (if possible) for guest panels.

What happened to panels going into the Double Tree, or maybe have some in the Embassy and Hilton? I know one year they did that, but I don't think that was as much this year (though my memory might prove me wrong). Maybe we should move bigger panels like perhaps Oregon Trail/Anime Jeopardy/insert super popular panel here into bigger rooms at different hotels? It would help spread out the crowds and have the crowd in one place. Again, it stinks you have to walk, but you at least still get to see the panel and have a bigger chance of getting in, if not a definite chance without having to wait an hour and then "oh, sorry it's full." Now that stinks. I wouldn't mind having to walk across the street to see a bigger panel because I know I'd have a bigger chance of getting in.

To stay on topic, I think for smaller cons the Platinum badge is a good idea, but I think it would get harder with something so big--since our venue already has issues with everyone getting into panels or events. However, (I just looked) Anime Expo does this Platinum badge thing--but they are HUUUUGE. Since they are so huge, it's easy to do. We are clearly not as big so I think we would run into the issue that "oh well half the panel room is full because of platinum badge people" and those who would not have a platinum badge would lose out because we did not spend the extra money. I just don't think we have the space for it--but I think it would be a good idea if we could do it.

This post has been edited by GITS SAC Motoko: 10 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#12 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:40 AM

I dont know, ACen is huge and as people state, we are running into being out of room very frequently in many panels, ACen is also not like some of the other cons that have huge corporate sponsorship, like comicon, or anime expo, or gencon, where some of the events are very special off the chart sort of things, aka like getting george lucus or sugaro minimoto for example, and are much more manstream, and more elitest at that, ACen is a nonprofit con, and for the most part in competitions like gamming or the masq you dont have to prequalify like at anime expo, which leads to larger shows, but ACen is a big con with a smaller con feel, like three differant cons going on at once, you got the huge vender hall, huge yu gi oh championships usually, and you have the panels in the hyett and usually hilton at times though using the other hotels was not as widely done this year as in two years ago.

ACen get more and more expensive every year especialy the food, which while chicago's food is good mostly it is not cheap like you pay 15 dollers for a bowl of chilli at the bar in the hyett and here in fort wayne you can get fancy ethnic food for that price, like korean bbq or a sushi dinner here.

that said about the size chicago has thee largest square footage convention hall in the world, McCormick place down town as well as Merchindice mart, but it is not safe to walk about down there in chicago in the night, nor are there interconnected hotels like the ones in rosmont, and the price is even more for food, but hey they got good chicago pizza right? And the great shopping on the magnificent mile right?

I vote no platnum for now makes the con too pretentious.

by the way if your not doing anything come down to fort wayne indiana for ikasucon, there is also the largest festival in fort wayne going on as well that is the three rivers festival lots of stuff for everyone.

#13 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

That's not bad what it gives you but honestly IDK if I would pay double for one at ACen.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users