Anime Central Forums: Nintendo goes after Lets Plays on YouTube - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nintendo goes after Lets Plays on YouTube content ID match flagging so LPers can't earn ad revenue

#1 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

With all the negative news about Microsoft's Xbox One people have been turning to Sony and Nintendo as the model companies who still are devoted to the gamers. Do these companies really still have the gamer's best interests at heart? Or are they just money grubbing corporate slimeballs who could care less what us gamers think?

Well it would seen that Nintendo's legal department has been flagging YouTube videos for content ID matches, specifically Lets Plays. http://www.gamefront...-play-channels/

When a video is flagged for a content Id match there is no penalty against the channel like in the case of copyright infringement, but they gain the right to enable ads and monetize that video, or block the content from being viewed by certain countries/areas, or flat out block it from playing at all. Since many LPers have made a living off of ad revenue from their LP videos it directly affects them.

What do you think about this? Nintendo has the right to do this, but is it the right thing to do? Does this help or hurt the gaming community?
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#2 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Nintendo, you used to be cool....
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#3 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Nintendo's official statement says they'll be running ads on certain videos. That's it.
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#4 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 25 May 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Nintendo's official statement says they'll be running ads on certain videos. That's it.

I'm not sure you're aware of how ads work. Once you become a YouTube partner you are given the ability to enable ads that generate revenue for the videos you publish. You make money off of your YouTube videos. Nintendo is now taking the ad revenue from the LPers who make these videos by claiming a content ID match. They are not putting their own ads on the videos, just taking the revenue from the ads.

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#5 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Well seeing how the Wii U is pretty much an expensive doorstop, they need that mone. Lol jk

(awaiting defender of Nintendo to have a comeback)
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#6 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 25 May 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

I'm not sure you're aware of how ads work. Once you become a YouTube partner you are given the ability to enable ads that generate revenue for the videos you publish. You make money off of your YouTube videos. Nintendo is now taking the ad revenue from the LPers who make these videos by claiming a content ID match. They are not putting their own ads on the videos, just taking the revenue from the ads.

Problem: LP's are NOT defended in the Youtube Partners EULA. So a lot of LP'ers actually AREN'T playing by the rules and thus are not in the right here:

http://i3.minus.com/iSxUi2ZSo9HE0.PNG

http://i4.minus.com/ibnKQuDyp90gDg.PNG

Eeeeeyeah, that's how the cookie crumbles.
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#7 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 26 May 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Problem: LP's are NOT defended in the Youtube Partners EULA. So a lot of LP'ers actually AREN'T playing by the rules and thus are not in the right here:

http://i3.minus.com/iSxUi2ZSo9HE0.PNG

http://i4.minus.com/ibnKQuDyp90gDg.PNG

Eeeeeyeah, that's how the cookie crumbles.

Thanks for bringing that up!

#8 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

I'd say it hurts Nintendo. A lot of people watch those channels to find stuff to play. Those channels will now avoid doing Nintendo content and therefore, stop the free advertising. I know I have several friends that have these channels and are considered YouTube celebs (I'm not going to name drop). They have actually done promo work for Nintendo... I haven't talked to them about it - but knowing them they will not take this lightly.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#9 User is offline   HiroEcks 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59556

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:49 AM

I think it's fine that a company would chose to prevent monetization on playthroughs of their product. It has always been in the terms of YouTube that extended video of any film/game/song can be ineligible for ad revenue. However, to prevent the video from being viewed completely would be a disservice IMO to that product.

LPs raise interest and conversation about games which might not otherwise be made since YT hits a much wider audience. There have been several LPs that have even gotten me interested in specific titles I might not have otherwise looked at.

As a content producer for YT myself, I have to be careful what I put into videos which may cause them to not be eligible for monetization. >.<
My friends call me HADOUKEN because I'm down (▼) right (►) FIERCE!
Get it??

Thursday Late Night Meet n' Greet v3

♫ HiroEcks sings? ♫
♫ and does covers? ♫

#10 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

In a way I can understand Nintendo wanting to protect their property but it does kind of suck as this stuff was fun to watch. :(
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#11 User is offline   JoeSomebody2 

• IRT Operative
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 58483

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

Before monetization, those who shared video game footage over YT did it freely. The only change monetization brought was an effort of making the process more entertaining for viewers, something I'm all about. Take it away and Let's Plays will no longer have as much effort as they did in the past. They will still exist, but not on the level they are now. :(

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users