Anime Central Forums: Hardcore Synergy Feedback - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hardcore Synergy Feedback Let us know what you thought of the show.

#1 User is offline   Attack The Music 

• Hardcore Synergy Promoter
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63178

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hi everyone,

Now that we've all had a chance to relax a bit after Synergy, we're interested in your feedback. What did you like, what didn't you like? Did any particular DJ really blow you away? We'd love to hear from you so please give us your opinions!

#2 User is offline   Domino 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61460

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Alstromenia and Noizenecio did AMAZINGLY well, and I was surprised USAO did Boku :3
I want to say that I would rather the lineup be straight Japanese artists since that music is nearly impossible for peeps in the US to hear live. I didn't really like the Canadian's music (though that's a personal opinion) and I hear Kagamine at most cons, though it did make sense from a political stand point why he got to play (since if he didn't lend his gear, we wouldn't have had Hardcore Synergy!). Shame we can't have whichever gabber artist (this year Noizenecio, last year DJ Myosuke) play earlier, but in all honesty, with a lineup as diverse as the ones that we have, it's probably the perfect finisher (unless we get t+pazolite or some speedcore DJ like LOLIPO, m1dy, you, or whomever to come one year >:3 )

This post has been edited by Domino: 20 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

#3 User is offline   Twilight Sparkle 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62967

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

I reallllly wish you guys would have done more advertising. If I knew REDALiCe and Masayoshi Minoshima were there, I would have been one of the first people in line to get in. Instead I knew the day of and I have to take some medicine if I am going to a closed space event like this probably is due to my anxiety issues.
Planned 2013 Cosplays!
MLP - Twilight Sparkle
Magi - Scheherazade, Ren Gyokuen, fem!Alibaba Saluja
Frozen - Anna
Homestuck - Damara Megido, Aradia Megido

#4 User is offline   Samperson 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62722

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

It was amazing, there was a great lineup this year. I'd actually suggest that you try to get ACen to let you flip-flop with soap bubble next year. It could give the Japanese DJ's a larger crowd, and it wouldn't make the legs of everyone who goes to Synergy and not the bubble fall off Saturday morning. It also would allow synergy fans to go to Anime Hell/Midnight Madness and synergy.

#5 User is offline   Imasock 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62299

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hi,

So last year I wrote up a fairly large review of HCS, this year I don't think it will be quite as large (Edit - I lied, it's still big).

The Location:
Same as last year, felt a bit more packed for a good while, which was a good thing. I like to watch people have a good time more than I like to participate (which is why I like being a DJ), and seeing more people and a larger level of activity is always nice. I enjoy listening to the music more than I like dancing and moving around so I tend to stick out of the way, but I love being around it when people are just enjoying themselves. The room provides enough room for anyone to find that zone where you feel comfortable. It's a good choice for that.

The Sound:
So this year the entire gig sounded quieter overall. The bass felt a little overpowering for the majority of the show, making some neat tracks sound really flat. I'm not sure what happened to the midrange sound but it didn't really feel present. Unfortunately this resulted in a lot of detail being lost from the tracks, largely from Noizenecio, USAO, and Masayoshi Minoshima, whose tracks really contain a lot of character and detail in the mids. I may be remembering incorrectly, but it also seemed like there were drastically fewer numbers of speakers than last year, which may have contributed to the uneven distribution of sound. Some might say this comes from your location in the room, and I would agree. There were _many_ different places you could stand where the sound quality and volume were distinctly different, but after traveling the room 3-4 times throughout the night, I couldn't really find a place where the sound felt right. Not sure what else to say about it. I talked a bit about this in my last review so I don't really think it needs to be said again. I am aware that some of the changes may have been to attempt to alleviate some of the things people have brought up before, so I am not really into labeling it as bad or good, just stuff I noticed.

The Good:
The event started on time this year. There was a good variety of artists and I was pretty excited for most of them, with a varied sound that each could present. Noizenecio. I really liked the intro videos for the artists (though I felt they all should have had their own personal intro bit accompanying it instead of the same song each time). I also really felt the VJ did a WAY better job this year with the screen content and relevance of clips. Some were kind of weird but I can't complain there, it was otherwise very well done. Noizenecio. Lighting was also better executed this year and felt that it went along with the music much more appropriately. The show went extremely smooth from the spectator's point of view. Things were spaced out perfectly and kept energy very nicely. Did I mention Noizenecio? Yeah. Noizenecio.

The Neutral:
So there were a few attendees in the first ~2 hours that were drunk as _hell_ and were really rather bothersome for some people. They were interrupting people's dancing, getting physical with a few people, they reeked of alcohol and were generally unpleasant overall. HCS can't really control this to a certain extent as that's IRT's business, so I can't really complain about it but I figured it was worth mentioning. Beyond those first 2 hours, I didn't see them anymore so either IRT approached them about it and took care of it or they left.

The Bad:
I really can't say there was anything that I would label as _bad_ this time around. Lots of the things I had felt could use some change was addressed or worked on and there was considerable change from last year to this year. Unless you call Noizenecio not being loud enough a bad thing.
Edit - Ok, so after thinking about it again, the only thing I would consider bad was the fact that there was a lot of repeated music this year, like Gangnam Style being played 2-3 times, and the Zelda music being played 2-3 times.

My Opinions:
The first 4 sets (Symbiotix/Mesophunk, Genki, Noriken, and REDALiCE) were surprisingly similar in structure and sound. I do not like funkot music, but what was played by Symbiotix/Mesophunk sounded fairly good in the live venue, so I was pleased about that. I think a bummer for me was that some artists didn't play as much of their own stuff as I had hoped, but I guess that's me being spoiled by REDALiCE's 2010 HCS-AX set where nearly everything he played was his own and it was everything I had hoped to hear, it was stellar in construction, and just blew away all my expectations. If I had to pick a favorite for the first 4 sets I would say that Noriken did a really nice job overall and I liked how it turned out. Needless to say, about halfway into Noriken's set I was waiting for things to change up a bit.

Masayoshi Minoshima turned out to be an interesting crux. While his set actually felt oddly out of place from the usual HCS style, it was a refreshing breath after ~3 hours of 170bpm and it had a good feel about it. It was a great change of pace; an interesting set to hear from him and the crowd really got into his set the most from what I observed.

USAO's set was a bit different than what I had expected. He opened with Project so the bar was set high for me, at least he played one of my favorite songs. Boku made me cringe but at least it was humorous =). I had a strong desire to hear him play one of my favorite tunes of his, はわわTwins, but I knew it was highly unlikely. If that had been played I think it would have completed my evening of wishes.

Noizenecio. Where do I begin? This was worth the entire trip out for me. Noizenecio has quickly become one of my favorite artists in recent days and I was pumped to hear him when I found out he was going to be at HCS. I saved all of my energy for his set and just let loose - one of the rare times I DO move and dance is when my favorites come on and his set was no exception. He played _everything_ I wanted to hear him play and I literally couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

I didn't stay for SuperJack or Kagamine because I was running on ~11 hours of sleep out of close to 60 hours due to travel and such and TIRED. I cannot comment on their stuff but I liked where SuperJack was going with his set before I left and I wish I had the energy to stick around and hear it.

Last but not least, the MCing. This was a rather large complaint of mine last year and I was pleasantly surprised by this year. The MCing was MUCH better, more appropriately executed, and contrary to my previous opinions, I actually felt it was actually almost too transparent. It was a bit more necessary towards the end of the evening to get people to move, like during Noizenecio's set which is where it was more prominent; However, it wasn't as overpowering as last year's.

Thank you again for putting on HCS. I enjoyed myself much more this year than I did last year and I appreciate all the work that goes into the show. I wish I could have met Noizenecio and the others and express my gratitude for them coming to play for us, but I slept through the Q&A/Autograph session out of pure exhaustion and I was pretty disappointed I missed it.

PS - Noizenecio's cardigan was pretty much the most boss DJ outfit ever. Cardigancore should be a thing.

This post has been edited by Imasock: 25 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

#6 User is offline   Domino 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61460

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

I want to reiterate what the previous poster was saying, because I agree 10x

NOIZENECIO!!!

It's funny, I have him and REDALiCE on Facebook and they have the same birthday as me, but what's even stranger is how Noizenecio is EXACTLY as old as me, same year and everything. I guess that's why I love his music :3 that and GABBER!!!

#7 User is offline   DJ Kagamine 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29499

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

http://soundcloud.co...l-2013-hardcore

so heres the set i would of played if i wasnt cut early so listen and enjoy!

DJ Kagamine
My name is DJ Kagamine

www.facebook.com/aznracer1 <---- My Page

www.facebook.com/dj.kagamine <-----My dj page

www.soundcloud.com/dj-kagamine <------My dj mixes page

#8 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

I really wish you guys would publicize the DJ list better. I saw the list and saw REDALiCe was on it, and that got my boyfriend excited, but then when I was trying to find the list again to tell him who all was on it, I couldn't find it for the life of me from my iPhone. Why aren't they listed in the program guide, or on the guests page or dance page on the site? I want to know who all has sets more easily =<.

Also a minor nitpick, but I felt like there were too many sets playing extremely fast stuff early on. I wore out way too fast.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#9 User is offline   Imasock 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62299

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

Considering the DJs were being revealed on Facebook on the Hardcore Synergy page 2 months before the actual show, I don't think the listing of DJs was necessary in the program. The program's HCS listing was copy/paste from last year's anyway, leading me to believe it's not really HCS' fault that the DJ list wasn't included. Also, the DJ list was altered anyway, with the absence by Akira Complex and announcements of Symbiotix/Mesophunk/SuperJack/Kagamine, so the list of what was on Facebook was still not accurate.

It was well publicized on the ACen site as well. Heck, you can google Hardcore Synergy and the top few results all give the DJ list. I don't see how that's hard to find. At all. You must not have been looking hard enough. I'm also not sure if you saw the part where it says "Hardcore" in "Hardcore Synergy", but Hardcore is typically 160+ BPM; the "too many sets extremely fast" is... exactly what you should expect. That's hardcore.

Edit - Just so you can find them:
http://www.ACen.org/...dcore-synergy-0
http://www.songkick....t-regency-ohare
https://www.facebook...hardcoresynergy

Courtesy of ACen's website and Google.

This post has been edited by Imasock: 25 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

#10 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

160+ is a fairly broad range, though. I came in at a point when pretty much everything was pretty far on the "plus" part of the spectrum. idk, I just personally like a better stylistic mixup. It's generally a negative to me if a set changes and I can't even tell because the speed and style doesn't alter at all. (I'm probably failing horribly at explaining this. I'm kind of bad at putting music-related things into words).

Also the facebook page doesn't load the info correctly on the iPhone app. I forget why the website didn't work, maybe it wasn't loading at the time? But I know I couldn't find it to save my life.

This post has been edited by feuerwerke: 25 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#11 User is offline   Attack The Music 

• Pip

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

We are definitely already taking steps to make sure that the event is more publicized next year. Although the convention hosts us and the event, we often do our own promotion separate of ACen itself (although we do our best to coordinate with them on it all). Next year you should be able to find more information about the party much easier (and hopefully all of our announcements will be made sooner). Once we get into the planning and promotion stages for 2014 we'll start posting here with all of the locations that you can check for info on the party (in case one particular resource works better for you).

As for the bpm range, the standard range for our party is 140-180 although there can be instances when it drops lower or higher than that. It all depends on the particular style of the DJ who's performing and in some cases (i.e. DJ Noriken) a wide range of genres will be played in one set. If you're talking about someone's set changing in terms of style with the bpm still remaining the same, that's kind of the whole point of live mixing. A good DJ will be able to blur the lines. If you're talking about sets changing from one to another (in terms of the DJs), we had the intro videos for each DJ as a way to pad each set and let everyone know that a new artist was up, so you shouldn't have had any experiences where one set bled into another.

#12 User is offline   DJ Jeffito 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5555

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Honestly, after attending all of the Underground Grooves, Hardcore Synergys, shows on Friday, this was the best Friday night dance I have ever been to.
Facebook Page | SoundCloud | Anime Convention DJs Facebook Group | WeebCast

Dance Coordinator
: Anime Apocalypse 2013; Anime Crossroads 2015; Anime Milwaukee 2012, 2014, 2015; Anime World Chicago 2011, 2012; Anime World Indianapolis 2012; Kollision Con 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013; Shuto Con 2014
Game Room Staff: Anime Central 2002, 2003; Anime Milwaukee 2013
Misc Staff: Anime Reactor 2003, 2006, 2007
Guest DJ: 30+ conventions, including Anime Central, Anime Expo, and Sakura-Con (Full list on my Facebook page)

#13 User is offline   Fudgi P0pZ 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9430

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

I apologize for commenting on a super old post, but since it's still relevant for next year's show, I'm posting anyway. :)

I've checked Hardcore Synergy's Facebook page and I see that some djs can be invited back for the next year. Is this something encouraged? Let me rephrase that: are you purposefully trying to expose new talent or are you also deciding based on fan favorites? If so, I'm just going to suggest now that you invite Masayoshi Minoshima back. I'm an attendee non-versed in bpm, genre titles, etc., but I had the gumption to know that Minoshima totally changed the tune. I could also be totally biased however, as I came around 10:30.

Also, GREAT job sticking to the different time frames and GREAT (subtle) announcements of who each DJ was during the dance. Your frequently updated facebook page was also helpful in researching these artists before I came to the con. I had never really listened to artists such as these, so it was awesome that I could research them beforehand, and then actually get a chance to see them in person later on. This format makes me look forward to next year.

I would have liked to see more people at the individual panels, but hey, I'm just glad you hosted these panels at all. While I unfortunately couldn't make the autograph signings this year, that was a great opportunity that I still cry about. Now, I would have liked to see more official merchandise sold from each artist. I know they may not be able to bring a lot when they come, but is there anyway they could send those things in advance so they wouldn't have to worry about how much space they had in their luggage? That was a letdown that I couldn't buy more from each artist--also, if I had been able to make it to the signings, what better could they have signed? Also, I would have loved a copy of the poster, but I do believe I was told by the people at your table on Sunday that you were all out of them.

For my first Synergy experience, it truly blew me away. Really made my year. Great guests coupled with excellent handling made that possible, I think. Best of luck and keep it awesome!

**P.S. For DJ suggestions, should I just make a general post in the ACen Suggestions thread or will (do) you have your own? Not sure how guest relations handles that.
..::..2014 Cosplay Goals..::..
.: Aisha ClanClan:.

Keeping it light this year! :)

Thanks Neskaya for the lovely avatar.

#14 User is offline   Attack The Music 

• Pip

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks a ton for the kind words!

In regards to how we select the lineup for the party, we have a number of ways we select who we book for each year. We try to showcase at least a few new artists every year, but the past couple years we've been putting an emphasis on bringing out well known acts that we haven't had the chance to work with yet. Last year's lineup was 99% new talent, with the exception of REDALiCE (whom we've had out at least 3 times already). We're always open to fan feedback, and we definitely put at least some of that into consideration for who we're bringing out. If you have suggestions for us, or want to request specific acts the best place to let us know would be on our facebook page (http://www.facebook....hardcoresynergy) or to send us a direct e-mail: taskforce (at) attackthemusic.com

We usually have our lineups for each year figured out by august the year before so we can get everything booked as soon as possible and start promoting. That being said, we're already well along with our plans for 2014 and should be announcing our guests in the very near future.

As for getting albums from the artists to sell, it's a little tricky. Some of our team used to run an import shop focused on making the music available from the artists we work with, and to put it very bluntly it isn't good for business to be stuck with excess inventory. Since we also operate as a record label it's not exactly prudent for us to sell anything that we don't have a direct distribution deal with for the US market. We do usually ask each of the artists to bring something with them each year, but at that point it's entirely on them if they want to provide anything extra for us to sell. Some of the artists don't have full albums of their own works, so compilations are the most frequent thing to find everyone on anyways. In 2013 we started planning for our first album a bit too late for us to include anyone that we had on our lineup which is why none of them were featured on it. This upcoming year though we're planning to have 2 new albums at ACen that will feature music by each of the artists we're bringing out, keep an eye on our label's webpage (http://www.attackthemusic.com) for more info on those!

This post has been edited by Attack The Music: 27 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

#15 User is offline   Fudgi P0pZ 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9430

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

View PostAttack The Music, on 27 December 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks a ton for the kind words!

In regards to how we select the lineup for the party, we have a number of ways we select who we book for each year. We try to showcase at least a few new artists every year, but the past couple years we've been putting an emphasis on bringing out well known acts that we haven't had the chance to work with yet. Last year's lineup was 99% new talent, with the exception of REDALiCE (whom we've had out at least 3 times already). We're always open to fan feedback, and we definitely put at least some of that into consideration for who we're bringing out. If you have suggestions for us, or want to request specific acts the best place to let us know would be on our facebook page (http://www.facebook....hardcoresynergy) or to send us a direct e-mail: taskforce (at) attackthemusic.com

We usually have our lineups for each year figured out by august the year before so we can get everything booked as soon as possible and start promoting. That being said, we're already well along with our plans for 2014 and should be announcing our guests in the very near future.

As for getting albums from the artists to sell, it's a little tricky. Some of our team used to run an import shop focused on making the music available from the artists we work with, and to put it very bluntly it isn't good for business to be stuck with excess inventory. Since we also operate as a record label it's not exactly prudent for us to sell anything that we don't have a direct distribution deal with for the US market. We do usually ask each of the artists to bring something with them each year, but at that point it's entirely on them if they want to provide anything extra for us to sell. Some of the artists don't have full albums of their own works, so compilations are the most frequent thing to find everyone on anyways. In 2013 we started planning for our first album a bit too late for us to include anyone that we had on our lineup which is why none of them were featured on it. This upcoming year though we're planning to have 2 new albums at ACen that will feature music by each of the artists we're bringing out, keep an eye on our label's webpage (http://www.attackthemusic.com) for more info on those!

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation! :)

I had no idea about how the album-selling thing went, but now that I'm aware, I'm looking forward to getting a copy of these compilations. It's awesome that you can get all the artists featured on it like that and in a way where fans like myself can feel as if we're directly supporting their ventures--albeit thousands of miles away. Looks like I was a little late this year as far as suggestions go, but I'll definitely keep the date in mind for the future.

Stoked to see the new lineup rolling out and looking forward to another awesome show, everyone! :happydance:
..::..2014 Cosplay Goals..::..
.: Aisha ClanClan:.

Keeping it light this year! :)

Thanks Neskaya for the lovely avatar.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users