Anime Central Forums: What did you think of Video Gaming this year? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What did you think of Video Gaming this year? *THE Giant Feedback Thread

#1 User is offline   AcenFTW! 

• Video Gaming DH
  • Pip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 57107

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

It was a pleasure to work for each and everyone of you think year.

In order to keep making things better over time, please tell me what you liked, disliked, would like to see changed and anything else related to the Video Gaming Department of ACen.

Thank you for your constant mashing of buttons.

-Nathan
ACen 2015 - Coming Soon...

#2 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

I was able to play fighting game casuals while the tournaments players still got to play serious. That was nice.
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#3 User is offline   Kit Kat 

• ACen Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 15391

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

I know my boyfriend was really looking to the Smash Mele tournaments and then they were cancelled and there was not Mele at all. Normally he's down in the gaming room for a good couple of hours at the con. That did not happen for him this year.

#4 User is offline   Faelil 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63606

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

Disappointing but that might just be because I'm not used to normal conventions of gaming rooms. ACen was only my 2nd convention and I figured it would be like the first, spacious, lots of game variety, where everyone can just jump in. What I didn't realize was that it was bring your own controller and packed into a really small room with basically only fighting games and a bunch of single player games. I dunno I just kind of expected a much larger, "open" gaming room at a 20k person convention vs a 5k one. But again this might be normal (except for the small room size)

#5 User is offline   YeehawMcKickass 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 19706

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

View PostKit Kat, on 19 May 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

I know my boyfriend was really looking to the Smash Mele tournaments and then they were cancelled and there was not Mele at all. Normally he's down in the gaming room for a good couple of hours at the con. That did not happen for him this year.

The guys running console brought two copies of Melee with them. I don't know if this happened before or after the tournament was supposed to happen, but both copies were stolen.

Now, from the arcade staff: I'd like to apologize first and foremost about the condition of the first player pad on the DDR Extreme. I believe most of the problems we ran into were related to the process of moving them. I did spend some time working on them when I could and would like to thank the people who stuck around to check the tweaks and test. My PA isn't quite as good as it used to be.

I'm also aware that the volume situation wasn't optimal for the dance games, but the size of the room and electrical considerations forced us into the organization we used. Balancing sound on three dance games against each other and the rest of the console room isn't easy to do. We were trying to get just enough volume that players and people behind the pads could hear the songs without breaking the eardrums of the IPG guys or drowning out the machine next to it.

I've already seen feedback saying the arcade needs to be larger. We agree, but have no control over any of it. We just filled up a 26' rental truck and brought games we owned that people wanted to play.

#6 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

While I did not go to the gaming room, one of things I kept hearing from people is they couldn't figure out where it was.

#7 User is offline   AcenFTW! 

• Video Gaming DH
  • Pip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Keep it coming.

The room was indeed too small, it was like a second rave on Saturday in the gaming room.

Also, I will see if we can get more signage about the gaming room.

The Hyatt had most of the events, while the Hilton basically had all types of gaming.

Next year may be quite different. So be prepared.

This post has been edited by AcenFTW!: 20 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

#8 User is offline   Samperson 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62722

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

I really enjoyed the gaming room this year, and though the arcade was smaller than usual, having virtual-on made everything great. The rock band stage was a riot as well.

#9 User is offline   AcenFTW! 

• Video Gaming DH
  • Pip

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Ah thanks,

Working on getting a bigger room for it all.

One big problem is electrical support.

#10 User is offline   xFatHalpert 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63540

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

Glad to hear you're working on the size of the room, because it should be MUCH bigger.

Also, the tournaments need to be run by people who know the systems. Anyway myself could volunteer to do that? The person running the BLOPS 2 tournament had no idea what he was doing and it took 30+ minutes to get going. And, there was 4 players playing on one screen, which was really irritating.

Also, I was disappointed when the Halo 4 tournament got delayed. They weren't able to give us a start time for later that night so I don't even know if it happened or not.

Other than that, looking forward to next year!

#11 User is offline   bonedaddyds 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62045

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

Do we know where video games are going to be held in 2014 yet? Last year the dance machines seemed pretty crammed - are we going to have more room?

Just curious! Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users