Anime Central Forums: Handicapped & Special Needs Feedback - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Handicapped & Special Needs Feedback

#1 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

ADA Compliance strives hard to meet the needs of those who need that little bit of extra help getting around. How do you feel they did this year? How can they improve for next year and beyond?

#2 User is offline   Vaserati 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 29649

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm glad me and my friends could get some water at the special needs area, but I wonder if there is a badge-ribbon that's available to special needs people. I have seen so many other badge-ribbons, but I haven't seen a special needs one. I saw a handicapped one, but that isn't really my case (autism and back trouble) so it would be nice to see a "Special Needs" one.
Hi my name is Draga aka Pinky.
Semi-official Pawstar product display model
MMO Gamer / Trans-Les / Professional Catnapper / Aspie / Ancient

#3 User is offline   retro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 17321

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

you guys were great but I pointed out in the gripes that one of the photo shot locations is in the dog walking area. this caused some tensions for us due to the service dog that was with us
In life you can laugh or cry I interned to die laughing

#4 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostVaserati, on 19 May 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

I'm glad me and my friends could get some water at the special needs area, but I wonder if there is a badge-ribbon that's available to special needs people. I have seen so many other badge-ribbons, but I haven't seen a special needs one. I saw a handicapped one, but that isn't really my case (autism and back trouble) so it would be nice to see a "Special Needs" one.

Hmm, that's a thought Vaserati. I'm going to put that in my notes for next year, I'm not sure what our budget will support but I'm going to keep that idea in mind!! That certainly would make it a little easier for staff and IRT especially to spot our favorite people :)

View Postretro, on 20 May 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

you guys were great but I pointed out in the gripes that one of the photo shot locations is in the dog walking area. this caused some tensions for us due to the service dog that was with us

Retro, can you describe the dog walking area you mean? I'm not sure I'm picturing the area. I will point out, though, that even though we designate specific photoshoot areas, sometimes attendees will create their own locations and we can't always control that. And in the future if you're having trouble please come see us at either of our offices and we will do our best to help fix things right away!
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#5 User is offline   retro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

It's the wall just outside the side entrance leading to the parking lot. I think it was listed as photo are 6 thou that could be wrong. sadly the one walking the dog was a friend who was also in the room, so I didn't hear about it till well after. It's easy not to realize that it is a dog walking are as the only sing is the one with the bags for clean up. In closeing thanks to you and all of staff for all of your hard work

#6 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Ah, okay. I never went over there myself, as it was designated by the hotel as the smoking area, so I did not see the bags. I will make note of that for next year! Thank you for letting us know!
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#7 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

You and your wonderful team are literally a life saver for me. Your so kind and understanding and you do go out of your way to help people with disabilities! Knitchick thanks so much for helping m get my bags down the elevator on Sunday. I'd hate to know how long it would have been if you hadn't been there.!everyone on this team is truly a hero to me. You inspire me! :)/>

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 21 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#8 User is offline   SimHuman 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63861

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

I ran into an issue with using my Bag Pass (I carry necessary medical supplies in my backpack) one of the times I went into the console gaming area. The person checking badges didn't seem to know what it was and asked several questions about why I needed it. I'm not comfortable discussing my health issues with strangers more than necessary, and this never happened last year when I went into console gaming with my bag and Bag Pass at least four times. I'm not sure what happened, but I hope more care can be taken to make sure that anyone in that position knows about medical Bag Passes. Thanks!

#9 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostSimHuman, on 21 May 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

I ran into an issue with using my Bag Pass (I carry necessary medical supplies in my backpack) one of the times I went into the console gaming area. The person checking badges didn't seem to know what it was and asked several questions about why I needed it. I'm not comfortable discussing my health issues with strangers more than necessary, and this never happened last year when I went into console gaming with my bag and Bag Pass at least four times. I'm not sure what happened, but I hope more care can be taken to make sure that anyone in that position knows about medical Bag Passes. Thanks!

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that!! I'm making a note of this and I will talk to Gaming to make sure this doesn't happen next year.

#10 User is offline   retro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostKnitChick, on 20 May 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Ah, okay. I never went over there myself, as it was designated by the hotel as the smoking area, so I did not see the bags. I will make note of that for next year! Thank you for letting us know!

Honestly I never caught it till we needed it either. Thanks

#11 User is offline   mer2329 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 29293

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

now let me say this first, i dont has astma but cigareete and cigar smoge make me cough and wheeze. so i end up needing to hold my breath for extended lengths of time and nearly collapsing because of it. i sometimes need to hold my breath for a minute or so
the smoking policy was not followed to its fullest i saw plenty of people between the hyatt and the street this year smoking like there is no policy in place, and i only saw one of them get moved by IRT
i think there should be more than the one aera and the entire area near the convention center entrance (especially the fountain. what if i want to relax there i couldnt) should be included also there should be a no smoking path outside between all convention areas as the walking paths are extremely hot.
if someone wants to smoke please for the love of all you hold dear, consider others needs as well before turning on your smokestack.
i present 2 articles for your consideration in mulling this over
Effects of Secondhand Smoke - webMD
Health Effects of Secondhand Smoke - CDC

i personally dont want to die like a smoker if im not a smoker

This post has been edited by mer2329: 25 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

True Words of Wisdom
Those Who Fall Asleep In Fruit Drink
Often Gets Punch in Nose

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic