#31 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 04 June 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

It did actually , back 3-4 years ago.
I'm not positive how it worked out. I heard not that many attended but I could be wrong. I have not heard about it since then. I'll either post it again or edit this when I find the thread.
Found the Thread : http://www.ACen.org/...ty/page__st__90

Come to think of it I remember hearing that, I'm just not sure they want to bring it back. If they did, I would totally go.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#32 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

My biggest suggestion will probably get me alot of flack... But I still am going to do it. Move soap bubble to Friday and synergy to Saturday as a smaller 18+ rave. Move the main concert to Saturday night and keep the rosemont theater venue. This will give you more time for at convention promoting of the concert and help sell tickets. You can have anime hell and maybe a screening or something more anime related in the main ball room. You could even extend the masquerade to allow more time and participants. ACen Idol has been brought up as something people would like to see return. and even though im not a fan.... maybe put a burlesque type show that night.
This would also fill part of the need for more 18+ programming at night

Also bring back ticketed events... Lines just don't work. They are causing dangerous situations. It's very obvious Irt isn't capable of keeping them in control. Something needs to change.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 05 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#33 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 05 June 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

My biggest suggestion will probably get me alot of flack... But I still am going to do it. Move soap bubble to Friday and synergy to Saturday as a smaller 18+ rave. Move the main concert to Saturday night and keep the rosemont theater venue. This will give you more time for at convention promoting of the concert and help sell tickets. You can have anime hell and maybe a screening or something more anime related in the main ball room. You could even extend the masquerade to allow more time and participants. ACen Idol has been brought up as something people would like to see return. and even though im not a fan.... maybe put a burlesque type show that night.
This would also fill part of the need for more 18+ programming at night

Also bring back ticketed events... Lines just don't work. They are causing dangerous situations. It's very obvious Irt isn't capable of keeping them in control. Something needs to change.

I think these ideas are pretty awesome actually
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#34 User is offline   garefowl 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 17858

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'm going to agree on moving AnimeHell back into the main ballroom. I may be wrong, but I'm getting the feeling that AnimeCentral insists on keeping Hardcore Synergy in the main ballroom for the sole reason that the event has special DJ guests. Which, I understand, it's perfectly understandable and there isn't much to say beyond that issue. However, that doesn't change the fact that AnimeHell is the bigger event of the two and, as hard as it may be to swallow for some, brings a much larger crowd, plain and simple. So in my opinion, something needs to be changed or rearranged so that AnimeHell can reclaim its vacancy in the main ballroom. Soapbubble is the dance of the convention, the one everyone plans and looks forward to the most (not to say that there aren't those that adore Synergy), so it's no surprise that the attendance for a dance on Friday night might be underwhelming compared to other events. I'm going to stop there because I know this issue has been discussed well enough, not to mention it seems fruitless at this point.
the manly dot
ANIME CENTRAL 2K14 COSPLAY
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora)
Satone Shichimiya (Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Season 2)

#35 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hardcore Synergy was in Embassy once right? Is there anyway possible to move it back there? I don't think it would be the end of the world if they did it. But I guess it's all about space and such?

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#36 User is offline   chytastic 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63610

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostMykaios, on 20 May 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

It was our first time at ACen and we came from Pittsburgh, PA so we weren't familiar with the area. It would be really helpful to future first-timers if you guys had a coordinating map of restaurants to go with the list as well as their distance from the convention center and whether or not they deliver. Perhaps you guys could also talk with the local places that do deliver and see if their delivery menus could be added to the registration bags too!

I would suggest recommending people to use grub hub it definitely helped in the past three years i attended. Also an better estimated cost on food at the convention. I did not expect to pay so much there. It would be great if one of the hotels allowed food trucks. A lot of great options in the city and that would be perfect for ACen.

#37 User is offline   dek 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 10543

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Panelist here (Revolution of Evangelion, if it matters)

A suggestion I can make is to have some panels at the Hilton again.

2011, the panel (mentioned above) almost filled up the space of one of the Hilton rooms
2013, we bring our panel back, and we get Tegel.

Tegel, among other rooms after speaking with other panelists, was extremely small. The seats filled up in no time, and we had overflow on the wall and floor. I know I said a couple time to the audience to be careful of the lights and the emergency exits.

#38 User is offline   Bard-kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 212

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

1) Pick an order for the panel descriptions in the book. Alphabetical? By day? Something, anything more organized than the baffling chaos in that program book!
2) I'll join the crowd: Anime Hell doesn't belong anywhere outside the main ballroom. Don't put it in another hotel. Don't put it in a smaller room. If it's between a rave and Hell, go with Hell.
3) Can't we consider panel length as well as number of panels when giving out panelist discounts?
Join the parade.

HENT4RMAGEDDON: You Can (Not) Unsee. Tentatively scheduled for 12:30-2:30 AM in the Donald E Stephens Convention Center, Panel Room Six. Join us for an evening of fun, games, and memories so twisted you'll wish you could live in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

#39 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Again, I will stress communication. In this particular case, the availability of rooms at the Hyatt. Make sure information is not just put in one place and that all avenues are covered. Also, such important information should be formally introduced. There should be someone in charge of this kind of announcement. This person should be communicating this through all means (forum, website, newsletter, social media..) on a similar time frame. If Facebook gets an official post, then the forum and webpage should be done at the same time. The next newsletter should also have such information.

This post has been edited by rondo: 02 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

#40 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

View Postrondo, on 02 July 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Again, I will stress communication. In this particular case, the availability of rooms at the Hyatt. Make sure information is not just put in one place and that all avenues are covered. Also, such important information should be formally introduced. There should be someone in charge of this kind of announcement. This person should be communicating this through all means (forum, website, newsletter, social media..) on a similar time frame. If Facebook gets an official post, then the forum and webpage should be done at the same time. The next newsletter should also have such information.

To change when the room blocks open and not give anyone a heads up that it's different as previous years is a pretty egregious error. However, it seems that it was just a fluke.

The Hotel/Convention Relations Officer said in someone's comment thread on the Facebook group(not the officially run ACen Facebook page) that he had forgotten to tell the PR dept, and it should have been included in the last newsletter.

Communication is key, and this will hopefully never happen again.I know personally this caused quite a bit of stress having seen some people post that they already got a room, and the reports that it might already be booked solid. We also had to call three different times before we got a hold of an operator that actually knew we were talking about the ACen block. All others told us it was booked solid and that the room block hadn't opened yet.

Maybe next year they can give us a heads up on when they'd like to open the room blocks. Let us know that they are opening earlier/later/the same as previous years. It might not be possible, but it would help prevent an error like this.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#41 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

I have a suggestion regarding photoshoots and photoshoot locations. Sometimes it is very difficult to fully know WHERE you are supposed to be gathering as many times the places have names to us but are not named that according to the Hotel.
For example, my first year, I heard that the Witch Hunter Robin Photoshoot was supposed to be in the Garden but I didn't know where the garden was nor did I have a smart phone at the time to try to find out. Nor was there any leaflet in the program book. So I did what I thought was the logical choice and went to the Hyatt front desk to ask. But the guy there knew nothing about the so called garden and could only direct me to the area by McDonalds. I did eventually manage to find the area (by finding the other WHR cosplayers) but it was difficult to say the least.

Because of this I think the following should be implemented:
1 - Insert a leaflet of an aerial view of the photoshoot locations into the program book. This will allow people to at least know the general area of where the shoots are being held.
2 - Provide the Hyatt, Hilton, Double Tree and Embassy front desks both the leaflet and a breakdown of photoshoot locations. The front desks of the hotels can be a great resource and while I do understand that there is a Service Desk in the Hyatt staffed by ACen friendly people, it is not always the most convenient.
3 - Post signs the name the areas at the actual areas. Especially with the loading docks. Since there is no wall to separate docks a-d many photoshoot groups end up in the wrong dock completely by mistake.
4 - On said signs posted at the locations also post the times and names of the gatherings that are supposed to be held there. This is already done for the panels and panel rooms which makes it easier to find. I believe adding this feature to the photoshoot locations will cut down on any inconveniences, misunderstandings and overlap.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask any questions and post your feedback on this idea.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#42 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:41 AM

1. Is there a way to create specialized badges for ACen that allows for different accesses to various events or just to certain locations in the convention? I noticed this happening at other conventions and it seems to work well.
Suggestions for the badges would be

All access or Platinum Pass = Allows access to various events and allows for being at the head of lines for better seating. It also earns you maybe discounts at some booths in the venders section and also maybe VIP access for some behind the scenes stuff? Free swag or other things an over all a nice item if you can afford it.

Family Pass =Basically a family discount of three or more family members going to the event with kids or teens. Like a normal badge but is a bit cheaper when you buy it as a group.

Venders hall only Pass =Badge allows for people to only go into the Vendors area of the convention. They can’t get into panels and other things, or the rave.

Dance Only passes =Basically a pass that lets you in to the dances and that’s it. Discounted price.

2. Use of the Fishbowl for panels. I know that EMRT and con Ops use the bowl for their stuff, but I noticed that there are several rooms there. Is there any chance that any of these rooms could be used for panels because they could be very helpful for spreading out for larger panels?

3. More than one session of a panel that is well liked or a topic that is a hot topic (Example Cosplay =/=Consent). It would give attendees a chance to join in the discussion if there’s limited space. Things like Oregon Trail could also be moved to a larger venue.

4. Line management. I think a lot of people covered this so onto the next one.

5. Change up the Autograph sessions and split them into Autograph only and Photograph only sessions. Pretty simple here, people like to talk to the guest, which is great, however it holds up the line when people are taking photos along with getting things signed or giving gifts. Could there be a split up of this into:

Autographs only = where the guests can only sign the items and no pictures at that time.
Pictures/Gift only = Fans can only take pictures or give a gift to the guests.

Maybe that could clear up some congestion?

6. Cosplay needs its own department or sub department. Cactusmomma does a great job with this, but given the size of the photo-shoots now I think it’s time that they get their own department and staff. Seriously it would help them out a lot and keep problems from cropping up. Also I think it would help get things more organized.

7. Change up the way the table of the panels is set up. Seriously it’s hard to read at times when things start and stop. Put the time in the box along with the name of the panel.

X panel Name
Time it starts.

There you go, easy to do and easy to read. Also in the descriptions put the hosts names, this way people will know who’s in charge of the panels. Also organize the descriptions better and put them by day and time.

Bloo09 does a great job of things with her group, my only suggestions would be.

1. Timely letting us know who’s in and who’s out. When people need to make plans to fly out knowing is rather important so they can afford the plane cost.
2. Decide early based on when you get it. Don’t wait a month; figure out what goes in and which doesn’t sound good right away.

8. Can the Guests relations group get some love? El Ken works really hard to let the people in the forum know what’s going on. Any way they could get maybe someone studying Japanese could get some college credit for helping deal with Japanese guests come to the events?

9. AMV contests monthly. Hope this makes sense. Have mini contests every month up until ACen. Each of these contests could be based on anything. Staff picked songs, themes, certain anime series only, etc. The best of these compete for a grand prize at ACen. Also different events with the AMVs, I’m sure the AMV fans can give suggestions to that.

10. Info needs to be on the website! Important information needs to be on the front page asap. Putting it in the forum will do no good.

11. Signs all over the place. Please more printed signs with directions, information about who’s panels are not happening, etc. Also having a sign near the check in/out section would be great saying where to go for info. Another thing that would be helpful is for a List in the book of places that do take out and local restaurants.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#43 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

While that would be cool if they did that Spell Master, I think they may have a hard enough time as is making differences in badges for all of that. However, here's something I'll suggest they could do in regards to badges:

Red Badge = 17 or Under
Green Badge = 18-20
Blue = 21+

Use the above system for all ACen badges offered.

Offer 3 day and 1 day passes at the cons and online.

Use that system at the dances if people wish not to go to ACen but wish to go to Soap Bubble, Hardcore Synergy, or Crystal Ball (but make them dance specific badges) .
Have an ID present or you'll instantly get red badge. Only flaw in this method is if you want the paper work.

• Just had an idea. Code those badges by number, have a number on the badge and write that number on form and have then fill out.

This post has been edited by STVO: 12 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#44 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostSTVO, on 12 July 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

While that would be cool if they did that Spell Master, I think they may have a hard enough time as is making differences in badges for all of that. However, here's something I'll suggest they could do in regards to badges:

Red Badge = 17 or Under
Green Badge = 18-20
Blue = 21+

Use the above system for all ACen badges offered.

Offer 3 day and 1 day passes at the cons and online.

Use that system at the dances if people wish not to go to ACen but wish to go to Soap Bubble, Hardcore Synergy, or Crystal Ball (but make them dance specific badges) .
Have an ID present or you'll instantly get red badge. Only flaw in this method is if you want the paper work.

• Just had an idea. Code those badges by number, have a number on the badge and write that number on form and have then fill out.

That's a great idea STVO. I love the color badge idea for ages, I think a strip on the side would work, and for those being mailed out just have the strip as part of the design so that when they're printed they have the color on it.

I would also add one for vender/Artist Alley only as well. If you don't want to go to the panels or the dances. It lets people that just want to shop come and shop.

Hummm adding to the idea of paper work. If they could rent or use tablets before the events to do online paper work. The tablets just let people fill out info and the people doing the badges just fill them out, then they can go to registration and pick them up. Have it where if you want to go to the dance you have to come an hour before hand to get the badge, this way you won't have issues of people that want to go in line and fill out the work before they go in.

You think that could work.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#45 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 12 July 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

That's a great idea STVO. I love the color badge idea for ages, I think a strip on the side would work, and for those being mailed out just have the strip as part of the design so that when they're printed they have the color on it.

I would also add one for vender/Artist Alley only as well. If you don't want to go to the panels or the dances. It lets people that just want to shop come and shop.

Hummm adding to the idea of paper work. If they could rent or use tablets before the events to do online paper work. The tablets just let people fill out info and the people doing the badges just fill them out, then they can go to registration and pick them up. Have it where if you want to go to the dance you have to come an hour before hand to get the badge, this way you won't have issues of people that want to go in line and fill out the work before they go in.

You think that could work.

I'm not sure if the color coding would work for those non-regular attendees that are in the AA, Exhibitors, or Panelists. Those are normally denoted by a different color than the normal attendee badges. So what about someone in the AA who is only 18? What color would their badge be? I think right now there are at least 6 different colored badges, ones for each type of badge(staff, guest, panelist, mailed badges, AA, vendors, one day badges[were they different for each day?], etc)... I could be wrong though. My memory likes to make up things.

Also, IRT has to rapidly check the badges to let people into certain areas. It might greatly slow down that process when the IRT person has to scrutinize the badge for the differences in color or ages.

And another thing is that some people may not want their age denoted on their badge for everyone to see. I can just see people taking offense to that for various reasons. Maybe it's vanity, but for some it might be something they just want to keep private from the public.

The idea of denoting certain badges by some means isn't bad, but I think that it would just make things much more complicated. There has to be an easier way.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#46 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

I'm thinking more along the line of a stripe down the side of the badge, Juju fox. Like you have the badge for each section a specific color, we will take the Panelist badge for example here.

You have an orange panelist badge, on the left side there could be a solid line that denotes the age of the person. So in this case, lets say Blue is 21+, so My badge would be the panelist orange badge, but it would have a blue stripe down the side of the badge that's blue telling staff that I'm 21+.

The only other way would be to put like a sticker on it, or have 21+ next to the name or, 18 and under, etc?

I just figured one color for people 18+ for various events would get one color and people under 18 would get another color.

Pardon the Pause

#47 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

The problem with different badge designs to indicate different age groups is that it's really easy for people to swap them out once they have them. You'd end up having to check ID anyway, because if something were to happen to a minor who was in a place where minors shouldn't be ACen could be in a lot of trouble. If you're going to have to check ID anyway there's no sense going to the extra hassle of making separate badges for different ages.

#48 User is offline   TheNerdBrigade 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61056

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

A stage/area people can sign up to perform on (not the masquerade)
TheNerdBrigade

#49 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostTheNerdBrigade, on 14 July 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

A stage/area people can sign up to perform on (not the masquerade)

I really second this. Like... A lot. I think it'd be nice to have a more casual place to show off your talents.

And another suggestion:
I don't if this is already being done or even if it can be done (I have never run a panel and have no idea what is or is not required and what does or does go into the planning etc) but can the idea of backup panels be implemented?

It really sucks when a panel is cancelled because of no shows and people who really wanted to see said panel are SOL because of it. I assume that you already get a lot of panels with the same idea so why not implement a back up system that would work like so:

Let's say you get some submissions for a MLP panel. While the focus might be a bit different for each, you notice that in general, they all discuss the characterization and appeal to Bronies. You select the panel that you think will draw the biggest crowd (or however you decide which panels are in and which are out) and the choose a second one which will go on in the event that a panel is cancelled.

Obviously I know that this means several things can get in the way:
1 - how to notify the backup panelists that they are going to be giving a panel at this time? In order to avoid last minute cancellations, all panelists should be required to arrive to the panel room or a secondary set up room 15 minutes prior to the start of their panel. If they do not arrive, then the back up panelists are then notified. The panel staff would already have the basic equipment (projectors, table, discs etc) so that the back up group need only show up with their special items.

2 - how to notify con goers of the panel change? In the program book, list the possible back up panels and which panel they will cover for. The rest would be through signage at the panel location.

I also think back-up panelists should get discounted badge rates and then ONLY if they are required to put on the panel would they get the badge price adjusted.

I hope this makes sense. Like I said, I've never run a panel, only been to several that were cancelled and was quite upset that I couldn't see what I wanted to see.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#50 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 15 July 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

I really second this. Like... A lot. I think it'd be nice to have a more casual place to show off your talents.

Thirding the idea of a stage or arena where people can show off their talents.

And another suggestion:
I don't if this is already being done or even if it can be done (I have never run a panel and have no idea what is or is not required and what does or does go into the planning etc) but can the idea of backup panels be implemented?

It really sucks when a panel is cancelled because of no shows and people who really wanted to see said panel are SOL because of it. I assume that you already get a lot of panels with the same idea so why not implement a back up system that would work like so:

Let's say you get some submissions for a MLP panel. While the focus might be a bit different for each, you notice that in general, they all discuss the characterization and appeal to Bronies. You select the panel that you think will draw the biggest crowd (or however you decide which panels are in and which are out) and the choose a second one which will go on in the event that a panel is cancelled.

Obviously I know that this means several things can get in the way:
1 - how to notify the backup panelists that they are going to be giving a panel at this time? In order to avoid last minute cancellations, all panelists should be required to arrive to the panel room or a secondary set up room 15 minutes prior to the start of their panel. If they do not arrive, then the back up panelists are then notified. The panel staff would already have the basic equipment (projectors, table, discs etc) so that the back up group need only show up with their special items.

2 - how to notify con goers of the panel change? In the program book, list the possible back up panels and which panel they will cover for. The rest would be through signage at the panel location.

I also think back-up panelists should get discounted badge rates and then ONLY if they are required to put on the panel would they get the badge price adjusted.

I hope this makes sense. Like I said, I've never run a panel, only been to several that were cancelled and was quite upset that I couldn't see what I wanted to see.

I would say keep the discount rate even if they are only the back up, the reason being is that it takes a lot of time and energy to set up a panel, so the discount is a nice thing to have.

In addition to the whole secondary room, which I don't think will work since the panel spaces are tight, I would say instead, do a call to the panel head 15 or 20 minutes before the panel starts as a reminder. If that person or persons don't show up 15 minutes before the panel then call in the back ups. See if they have their stuff. Also notify the back up group during that 15 minutes.

Another way to deal with this is to possibly have a check in person at the door with a form for people to sign to show they are all there and ready to go. Sort of like how the Cosplay did it this year.

Pardon the Pause

#51 User is offline   Sailor Moon Crossplayer 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62428

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Have charging stations scattered all over the con.

#52 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 15 July 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

And another suggestion:

SNIP

Or, just stop giving discounted/free badges to people before they actually do anything at the convention. Make people buy the badges beforehand and get reimbursed after the convention. Don't do your panels? You don't get reimbursed.

#53 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostRoark, on 23 July 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

Or, just stop giving discounted/free badges to people before they actually do anything at the convention. Make people buy the badges beforehand and get reimbursed after the convention. Don't do your panels? You don't get reimbursed.

I like this idea. :)
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#54 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostRoark, on 23 July 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

View PostValkyrie, on 23 July 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

I like this idea. :)/>

I also agree with this. Perhaps it'll cut down on the amount of cancelled panels.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#55 User is offline   C2Queen 

• Publication Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 59630

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 20 May 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Safe zones =Given the fact that there has been harrassment of others in the past, as well as some fighting and such, maybe IRT can look into creating designated "safe zone" areas that are located in the hotels, and convention center. If soemone is having a problem with another con goer, or is being harrassed, or was groped or robbed (I haven't heard of this yet but...) these zones could be used as a safe place to go to for help. Not everyone knows where the main office is, and in the venders area it's not always easy to find IRT or during the raves at night. They are there but there's a large crowd so can be tricky to get help when you need it. The zones can have people staff them during shifts, and should be people that can be intimidating to deture a fight.

(Quck example of this: Two girls I saw were having an argument, I remember one was wearing black the other red. Anyway the girl in red kept yelling at the girl in black to leave her alone and kept trying to get away from the girl in black and the one in black kept shouting and following her. I wonder if a zone like that would deter others from following the person they're attacking?)

ACTUALLY... There is an I.R.T. safe zone. I just don't think it's very known to a lot of people. From my standpoint as an attendee of ACEN, I was told that the I.R.T. pen has an open door policy to anyone who is in trouble (example: You're being followed by someone creepy, you can head over to the I.R.T pen which is usually located in the Upper Dome and they will let you stay in there to avoid said person and explain whats been going on. Usually they will also assist you too with whatever issue is at hand) I learned about it from Waves this past year before ACEN because I was concerned about my own safety if no one was around and something like that were to happen.

As for everything else... I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else who has been posting. There were a lot of line issues... It was so bad that I actually got injured because of it. I was walking past the rave line for the Soap Bubble attempting to stay on the curve and listening to I.R.T.'s directions but there was barely a sliver of a curve to walk on, then I got shoved by someone in line trying to keep in line and slipped off the curb wrong which rolled my ankle and made it swell to the size of a Tennis ball. Not only did I miss out on dancing at Allen's last Soap Bubble but I had to go to the hospital to make sure I didn't fracture or break it. Then I had to use a wheelchair the rest of the weekend (my pre-existing condition makes it difficult for me to move already so I couldnt get by in a huge space like ACEN using crutches). Luckily I still had a good time because my boyfriend Teebs was nice enough to wheel me around XD But I'm stuck with this great big hospital bill and bad pain every now and then still in my ankle which could have been avoided.

But yeah... if the lines wouldnt have been so hectic and also have IRT trying to make you walk beside them rather than on a small space of the street next to them I don't think I would have been injured. I was just trying to get from my hotel to the con space. It was definitely a bad experience to walk beside the rave line to get to the hotel when I'm claustrophobic and have movement problems x___x There's a lot of street there and cones set up, I think people who are walking beside the rave line should be able to walk on a small sliver of street inside some cones and not next to the line on the sidewalk. Next year I'm just going to probably walk on the other side of the street to avoid walking by the rave line. But still even if you are walking by it to get in the rave line that's problematic.

Oh man... I can't stress enough how important it is to have more panel space for more popular panels. A lot of people got denied getting into panels this past year because there wasn't enough space to fit people into them. It's a real bummer when your heart is set on going to a panel and there's not enough space for you to attend it. I'm not really sure what can be done about that considering there are a lot of big panels that take up the big rooms and get a lot of attendance already and you can't really split a panel between two different rooms. Maybe have those people do 2 of the same panel at different times so people who couldn't attend the first time can see it? Schedule it one after another or different days or something so the same people who stood in line for it get first dibs when the panel happens again? Ehh... that's a bad idea but really, what can you do about that? I guess hosting a panel twice though wouldn't be bad. Maybe get bigger spaces (their hotels ballroom or meeting rooms) in different hotels (DoubleTree, Embassy, etc) to host some of these panels that have a large amount of attendees?

I'm digging the Autograph only and photograph only line thing that DarkSpellMaster mentioned but also... when someones waited in like for hours to see someone I don't really think they want to stand in another line for hours just to get a picture though too. I also like the idea of having a small department managing Cosplay Photoshoots rather than one or two people who already have other con responsibilities. There's way too many photoshoots for just one or two people to be checking up on them and making sure they are moved to the correct location if bad weather is coming. A lot of photoshoots end up getting run by people on the spot who don't entirely know what they might be doing or what the location changes to pending weather. I sure as heck didn't remember what the rain location was for a shoot I was at this past year and neither did others, luckily it didn't rain bad but it sprinkled real lightly.

That and larger photoshoots tend to take up space or not clear out right away when other photoshoots need to get in, so having some staffers to help with these issues would be pretty nice. Example: The Sailor Moon shoot could be an hour long, but they decide to keep taking pictures because they had more ideas in mind for photos. Kingdom Hearts only has a half hour slot and Sailor Moon is already 10+ minutes into KH's timeframe for their shoot before they finally clear out. Thus Kingdom Hearts only ends up with 20 minutes instead of 30.

Here's another big thing -- ARTIST ALLEY/DEALERS ROOM. The set up was extremely confusing this past year. Me and Teebs were trying to find one of his favorite button makers who was at the con and couldn't because we kept getting lost going in circles. The Dealers Hall set up was decent but artist alley was so confusing... I finally found different tables after going around probably 3 times trying to find more artists and still didn't find the artist we wanted to buy from. Back in 2012 the set up was really nice. I know it was in a different area though back in 2012 but it seemed like the area it was in this year was really similar to the space used last year. Hopefully they'll get the space they used back in 2012 for 2014 as long as nothing else booked it prior a few years in advance.

AND YEAH... BIGGEST THING... THE COMP BADGE LINE. Something needs to be done. SERIOUSLY. I stood in line for 3 hours and got in line early Thursday to pick up my comp badges. Two hours literally and we had no updates on what was taking Reg. Barely a few inches moved in line during the course of two hours. I missed out on the forum meet n greet because I had already stood in line long enough that I wasn't going to leave it. That's really sad because I got in line 3 hours prior to the meet n greet and the meet n greet was literally happening a few feet from the line. Sad part was... I was towards the front of the line the whole time. Not only that but my staff badge ended up getting misplaced and I almost had to go stand in another huge line to go and retrieve that... Next year I'll have my comps stand in line probably for their own badges. But seriously... something always seems to happen with Reg and their computers. I truly feel sorry for the staffers who end up having to deal with these issues. But yeah... somehow get lines moving faster for registration or get a bigger space and more people handling comps, etc? I noticed people who get an at con badge/pick up have gotten their badges eons faster than comps. Not sure how long the reg line was for buying your badge at the con but that could probably use some improvements too. I wish staff and comp badges could just have the option of being mailed to you or something T____T

Alright, I'm done with my ranting for now x3

My Upcoming Cons/Events (2014): Soycon, Ramencon
Recently Attended (2014): Anime Central, Colossalcon

For general questions & questions about forum registration -- EMAIL US.

#56 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17891

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

"Oh man... I can't stress enough how important it is to have more panel space for more popular panels. A lot of people got denied getting into panels this past year because there wasn't enough space to fit people into them. It's a real bummer when your heart is set on going to a panel and there's not enough space for you to attend it. I'm not really sure what can be done about that considering there are a lot of big panels that take up the big rooms and get a lot of attendance already and you can't really split a panel between two different rooms. Maybe have those people do 2 of the same panel at different times so people who couldn't attend the first time can see it? Schedule it one after another or different days or something so the same people who stood in line for it get first dibs when the panel happens again? Ehh... that's a bad idea but really, what can you do about that? I guess hosting a panel twice though wouldn't be bad. Maybe get bigger spaces (their hotels ballroom or meeting rooms) in different hotels (DoubleTree, Embassy, etc) to host some of these panels that have a large amount of attendees?"

Only Homestuck and League of Legends panels actually filled this year, all other denied panels were denied because of their application. But based on how our applications are growing in number each year, we will probably be denying this year based on space. We are changing up our event space this year though, making sure panels has more seats in the rooms and more night time space since the con center rooms close at 8pm, while moving around other programming so mostly everyone will be in a better space. Nothing can be announced as of right now, but as soon as everything is settled I'll be posting about the new space with maps and details :) Running twice has always been an option, we've sent out emails asking for panels who know that they fill to volunteer. Panels like Zombie Survival run twice for example, and have filled both for the past 2 years. It's completely up to the panelists, but we do count it as 2 separate panels to try to encourage them to do it since it's 50% off the badge price per panel and two would be 100% free badges.

The double tree rooms are actually extremely small, like 30-80 seats small. We were there 2 years ago and dropped it as an event space hotel. The Embassy only has 2 semi usable rooms, it's still in consideration. We have explored our event space options and as I said, the changes will be announced soon :)
ACen 14 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager
ACen 12 - 14 - ACen & Anime Central Facebook Group(s) Administrator
ACen 13 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager, ACen 12 - Panel Programming Dept. Head and Crystal Ball Manager,
ACen 11 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 10 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 09 - Reg Asst. Dept. Head, ACen 08 - Guest Relations staff, ACen 07 - IRT Guest Escort

Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding Panel Programming for Anime Central. PanelProgramming@ACen.org.
If you have any questions about the Crystal Ball please email CrystalBall@ACen.org

My private messages are now disabled. Between friend invite spam, and forum notices as a moderator I was missing panel related private messages. Please email us to contact panels, thank you!

#57 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostBloo09, on 18 August 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

"Oh man... I can't stress enough how important it is to have more panel space for more popular panels. A lot of people got denied getting into panels this past year because there wasn't enough space to fit people into them. It's a real bummer when your heart is set on going to a panel and there's not enough space for you to attend it. I'm not really sure what can be done about that considering there are a lot of big panels that take up the big rooms and get a lot of attendance already and you can't really split a panel between two different rooms. Maybe have those people do 2 of the same panel at different times so people who couldn't attend the first time can see it? Schedule it one after another or different days or something so the same people who stood in line for it get first dibs when the panel happens again? Ehh... that's a bad idea but really, what can you do about that? I guess hosting a panel twice though wouldn't be bad. Maybe get bigger spaces (their hotels ballroom or meeting rooms) in different hotels (DoubleTree, Embassy, etc) to host some of these panels that have a large amount of attendees?"

Only Homestuck and League of Legends panels actually filled this year, all other denied panels were denied because of their application. But based on how our applications are growing in number each year, we will probably be denying this year based on space. We are changing up our event space this year though, making sure panels has more seats in the rooms and more night time space since the con center rooms close at 8pm, while moving around other programming so mostly everyone will be in a better space. Nothing can be announced as of right now, but as soon as everything is settled I'll be posting about the new space with maps and details :)/> Running twice has always been an option, we've sent out emails asking for panels who know that they fill to volunteer. Panels like Zombie Survival run twice for example, and have filled both for the past 2 years. It's completely up to the panelists, but we do count it as 2 separate panels to try to encourage them to do it since it's 50% off the badge price per panel and two would be 100% free badges.

The double tree rooms are actually extremely small, like 30-80 seats small. We were there 2 years ago and dropped it as an event space hotel. The Embassy only has 2 semi usable rooms, it's still in consideration. We have explored our event space options and as I said, the changes will be announced soon :)/>

My only problem with the whole run the panel twice thing is this. You deny one league of legends panel due to only wanting one on the schedule. Then you offer the accepted panelist the chance to run their panel twice. Isn't that like spitting in the face of the denied panelist?
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#58 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

That didn't happen :) the league of legends panel only ran once, Friday at 1pm. If it's a panel that we only want one or two of, we won't have them run twice. If we see that we have enough of that topic, or don't believe that it would fill twice, we won't put them on the schedule twice. Letting them run twice would also depend on the other applications that are for that topic, and if their panel is unique like Zombie Survival 101, we had no other zombie survival panels like theirs so they were allowed to run twice. Anime Name That Tune for example, use to run twice, but now we let 2 different groups run on different days.
ACen 13 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager, ACen 12 - Panel Programming Dept. Head and Crystal Ball Manager,
ACen 11 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 10 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 09 - Reg Asst. Dept. Head, ACen 08 - Guest Relations staff, ACen 07 - IRT Guest Escort

Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding Panel Programming for Anime Central. PanelProgramming@ACen.org.
If you have any questions about the Crystal Ball please email CrystalBall@ACen.org

My private messages are now disabled. Between friend invite spam, and forum notices as a moderator I was missing panel related private messages. Please email us to contact panels, thank you!

#59 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostBloo09, on 19 August 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

That didn't happen :)/> the league of legends panel only ran once, Friday at 1pm. If it's a panel that we only want one or two of, we won't have them run twice. If we see that we have enough of that topic, or don't believe that it would fill twice, we won't put them on the schedule twice. Letting them run twice would also depend on the other applications that are for that topic, and if their panel is unique like Zombie Survival 101, we had no other zombie survival panels like theirs so they were allowed to run twice. Anime Name That Tune for example, use to run twice, but now we let 2 different groups run on different days.

I was just using league as an example. I was just curious how you were going to handle your idea of running panels twice.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#60 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Yeah I assumed but I wasn't sure because I remembered you posting about us not accepting a league of legends panel this year. Which is why I used the Zombie Survival and Anime Name That Tune as what has happened in the past :) running twice is allowed at Panel Programming management's discretion. Now, if say a second panel like league of legend's application was denied based on the application (it could have been a bad app, the same content as the first accepted panel etc.) it can still be denied and the first panel asked to run twice. But if it's a good app and not exactly the same content we would accept a different panel over having the first run twice.. I hope that makes sense, my coffee isn't quite kicking in today. And denied applications are always welcome to re-apply with changes and can even contact us to see what they could change to improve. :)

PS. We are looking at expanding the amount of gaming (ttg or vg) content we have this year :)

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users