• This topic is locked

Suggestions for 2014

#151 User is offline   ToTsolot 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 4501

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

How about taking requests for movies to be shown in video rooms? Maybe some Panyo or Porco Rosso.
Cosplays for ACen 2013:
Uncle Iroh - Avatar the Last Airbender, Ralph - Wreck it Ralph, and Shirokuma from (Shirokuma Cafe)
Maybe:
Hideki - Nerima Daicon Brothers, Wild Tiger - Tiger and Bunny, and Harverst Moon if I ever get to tossing one together.

#152 User is offline   Enjeru 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 64020

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:09 AM

I'm sure these have already been mentioned, but I have two things relating to panel lines from last year:

1.) I had a real problem with people cutting the panel lines last year. One person would be near the front, and then, like, 5-10 of their friends would start talking to them and casually merge into the line. It kept me from getting into quite a few panels, by only a few people. I'm quite sure that I would've gotten in had those few people not slipped by.
Now, of course, I don't expect the staff to be able to eyeball the lines every second; that just isn't gonna happen. I know how hectic those hallways can get, and it's a priority to keep them clear.
My mother made a very good suggestion at the feedback panel last year: give each person in line a numbered post-it note as the line forms, and collect them back as they are let it the room. I doubt it'd eliminate line cutting, but I think it could be a good way to fight back against it.
(More related suggestions straight from my mother: "Maybe get the laminated ones so they won't get all messed up."
"Color code them for each room/hallway ['cause, y'know, there aren't enough post-it note colors for every panel room to have a separate color,] so people can't keep them and try to get into different panels with the same number.)
I dunno how viable this suggestion is (that's a lot of post-it notes...), but I think it's worth a mention at least.

[Also, please note that my mother is an "outsider" of sorts at cons; she accompanies me, but just sort of observes and doesn't participate in panels or anything.]

2.) Another big issue I had was standing in a ridiculously line for more than an hour for a panel and not getting in. My problem specifically with this is that there should be at least an estimate of how many people can fit in a room because of fire codes and whatnot, yet not even a quick head count was done. The worst example of this for me happened last year when the panel room couldn't have possibly held more than 100 people safely, and I think I'm being generous there. (I think it was Tegal)
Again, it wasn't like the line formed a few minutes before the panel's start time. I was in line for more than a hour, and I was given no indication that there was a chance I wouldn't get in. I'm certainly not asking that more people be let in than would be safe; just maybe let people after a certain point in the line know that they probably won't make it in so they don't have to waste an hour standing around would be greatly appreciated.

These two things alone put a HUGE damper on my ACen experience last year, and I'm greatly hoping for even the slightest improvements this year. :)/>

This post has been edited by Enjeru: 01 March 2014 - 03:11 AM

Cosplay plans for ACen 2014:
Ukyo (Amnesia)
Akemi Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
Toboe (Wolf's Rain)

#153 User is offline   onemokona 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 64172

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostEnjeru, on 01 March 2014 - 03:09 AM, said:

I'm sure these have already been mentioned, but I have two things relating to panel lines from last year:

2.) Another big issue I had was standing in a ridiculously line for more than an hour for a panel and not getting in. My problem specifically with this is that there should be at least an estimate of how many people can fit in a room because of fire codes and whatnot, yet not even a quick head count was done. The worst example of this for me happened last year when the panel room couldn't have possibly held more than 100 people safely, and I think I'm being generous there. (I think it was Tegal)
Again, it wasn't like the line formed a few minutes before the panel's start time. I was in line for more than a hour, and I was given no indication that there was a chance I wouldn't get in. I'm certainly not asking that more people be let in than would be safe; just maybe let people after a certain point in the line know that they probably won't make it in so they don't have to waste an hour standing around would be greatly appreciated.

These two things alone put a HUGE damper on my ACen experience last year, and I'm greatly hoping for even the slightest improvements this year. :)/>/>

Reading this gave me an idea about the lines--is it possible to have a sign (even if it is on the wall--taped so it's not in the way of others) saying past this point you may not get in because of lack of room?
~just my two cents :D

#154 User is offline   Wafflashizzles 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62412

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

As a staffer, I think that a few spares of earbuds should be kept on hand this yea for IRT/EMRT... losing them was a nightmare.

Outside of that, keeping a big stack of the guidebooks that I can grab and hand out to congoers when they need them would be nice too.

#155 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

Throwing out a suggestion here in regards to lines. Could there be a way for some sort of ribbon or streamer to be used on the lower levels so that people can follow that into the line. Kind of like what they have at the airport where you have a notice of "Line starts here" and then people can just line up along that way?

Also what might help, if at all possible, maybe one of the hosts of a panel can greet people at the door? Might be a nice touch?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#156 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 65191

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

View Postcactusmomma, on 15 May 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

What do you, as an attendee or staffer, feel can be done to improve Anime Central for 2014 and beyond? Please keep your suggestions constructive and do not single people out.

I honestly had no clue where the signings were. Also I'm only able to go on Saturdays, and there are many people who can only attend one day, so it would be nice if we could have the panel listing done earlier so we could quickly get planning done ahead of time.
ACen 2015 Cosplay-
Cinder Fall: 0% done

Anime Midwest 2015 Cosplay-
Mikasa Ackerman: 20% done
Possible other cosplays undecided

#157 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 65191

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Another suggestion, perhaps a "line starts here" or a "this is a line for [blank]" would be helpful. I remember my friends and my dad went to ACen for two years, and while the first time it was somehow clear whee each line was going, last year it was extremely unclear where the lines were headed, where the merchandise was, and we actually ended up in a line for the Starbucks at one point. Just maybe signs would be nice...
ACen 2015 Cosplay-
Cinder Fall: 0% done

Anime Midwest 2015 Cosplay-
Mikasa Ackerman: 20% done
Possible other cosplays undecided

#158 User is offline   kalek 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65182

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

ACen should book Bemani Invasion for the arcade room this year.

I'm considering coming to ACen this year (all the way from Texas!), but I'm not 100% sure I want to make the trip, especially with the experience I had in the arcade room when I went to ACen in 2012, which is to say, pay per play (at a convention! when I've already paid $55+ for a badge!), old versions of games, machines in poor condition, etc.

I've been known to travel vast distances for Bemani Invasion cons (I went to Gencon, Matsuricon, Ohayocon, and Anime Matsuri solely for Bemani Invasion), and BI at ACen would easily be enough to convince me to go.

#159 User is offline   KittyMayhem0916 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63628

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostDJ Jeffito, on 11 February 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Actually, Anime North and Anime Expo have both had their dances outdoors and it's been great vibes all around. It's even possible to have it during the day (kind of like a music festival)

THIS sounds pretty fun actually.....
Cosplay 2014 -
Amora the Enchantress
Poison Ivy
Touko Aozaki (Type Moon)
So far...

#160 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:50 PM

ah the dances, there are many people throwing down beats as it is in the hotels at ACen and that is one of the things I like as someone that still hits up electronica events, and weekly rave music at clubs off and on, but having an outdoor sort of thing would be fun too like we have at outdoor festivals where I am from, but space considerations must be taken into effect, have you at ACen considered having a lan game site, like colonies, or artimus, I am a member of the fort wayne chapter, it takes 6 computers and you have differant battlestations that make up a bridge like what is on startrek, I got hooked at ikasucon last year and it is fun working with others as a team to take on the missions, and take down the enemy ships.

just my 2 cents.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users