• This topic is locked

Suggestions for 2014

#121 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 22787

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

Yes, well said Valkyrie. However, myself and all included in this discussion are being creatively constructive in our opinions, I'd say. No problems here.

I "am raising a stink" about it because it is ridiculous in my personal opinion.
Kids should not be raving with adults in an unmonitored environment (Soap Bubble is not monitored all that well inside, as it is very dark and constantly changing and moving.) That is something I do not agree with. I also think that two dances for all ages take up much space that programming can really use for more panels, or other ideas. I love to go to a dance and have a good time. I do not detest raves/dances/parties. I just do not think kids should be involved in a dance where adults are sweating it out in the dark. I am not being received in the slightest, and that is completely fine.
poopies.

#122 User is offline   DJ Jeffito 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5555

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostSiren_N0el, on 26 November 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Yes, well said Valkyrie. However, myself and all included in this discussion are being creatively constructive in our opinions, I'd say. No problems here.

I "am raising a stink" about it because it is ridiculous in my personal opinion.
Kids should not be raving with adults in an unmonitored environment (Soap Bubble is not monitored all that well inside, as it is very dark and constantly changing and moving.) That is something I do not agree with. I also think that two dances for all ages take up much space that programming can really use for more panels, or other ideas. I love to go to a dance and have a good time. I do not detest raves/dances/parties. I just do not think kids should be involved in a dance where adults are sweating it out in the dark. I am not being received in the slightest, and that is completely fine.

The reason I ask if you've been to both dances is because you say "Kids should not be raving with adults in an unmonitored environment (Soap Bubble is not monitored all that well inside, as it is very dark and constantly changing and moving.)"

I mean have you been to Hardcore Synergy as well? There's IRT everywhere for both dances and being friends with many people on IRT, I've heard publicly and privately that it's truly a hassle to maintain and monitor everyone in the dances at all times. However, IRT does their best given the staff limit they have to work with and I think they do a great job personally.

They're two completely different dances with two different groups of people running them with two completely different intentions/goals. To say one is for minors and one is for adults...I mean once again, that's why I ask if you attend the dances. The rooms are exactly the same for both of them. They're both filled, very dark, changing and moving constantly.

They both have history. One isn't for one specific age group. Why not have two masquerades where one is for more risque cosplays and make that 18+ and have one where all the cosplays are PG only.

I mean I'm not trying to be rude, but think about the number of attendees and the logistical nightmare it would be to do something you are proposing.

Instead of trying to make drastic changes and enforce an age policy (I strongly suggest you talk to cons who have done this before and ask them why they don't do it again), there are easy proposals I've made earlier in this thread that would alleviate some of the problems you pointed out (to which I agree with some).

This post has been edited by DJ Jeffito: 26 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

Facebook Page | SoundCloud | Anime Convention DJs Facebook Group | WeebCast

Dance Coordinator
: Anime Apocalypse 2013; Anime Crossroads 2015; Anime Milwaukee 2012, 2014, 2015; Anime World Chicago 2011, 2012; Anime World Indianapolis 2012; Kollision Con 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013; Shuto Con 2014
Game Room Staff: Anime Central 2002, 2003; Anime Milwaukee 2013
Misc Staff: Anime Reactor 2003, 2006, 2007
Guest DJ: 30+ conventions, including Anime Central, Anime Expo, and Sakura-Con (Full list on my Facebook page)

#123 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

As a moderator, I'll be the judge of whether opinions, thoughts, and otherwise projected posts are being constructive. Your post is effectively sassing. Consider yourself warned.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#124 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

As as former ADH of main programming, to say it isn't monitored well is just flat out wrong.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#125 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

My entire post vanished, so I'll try this again

DJ Jeffrito - I agree. It WOULD be a nightmare to arrange this! I need to come up with more valid approaches instead of complaints. I have a good time at Soap Bubble. I have not attended Synergy yet. I do not want to imply that I want to take a fun dance from kids, but I just do NOT see kids raving with adults as a good thing in any sense. It's not good. Doesn't look good.

Valkyrie - I was not attempting to supersede your authority in any way, and I apologize if that is how it appeared. I was stating that I read you loud and clear, and I have no ill will or intent toward anyone here. They are all stating valid points that are well received by me. For future reference, which post of mine was sassing? I have posted a lot on here, and I may have gotten too passionate on my stance. But I do not know which post to which you are referring? Please advise, as I mean no harm, but I do want to know where I crossed the line so I do not make that move again.

Alkaren Hyralt - I feel it is not monitored enough for a rave involving kids and adults in the dark. My suggestion is more security within the crowd. Security is wonderful at ACen. However, it's a matter of how much.
poopies.

#126 User is offline   DJ Jeffito 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostSiren_N0el, on 26 November 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

DJ Jeffrito - I agree. It WOULD be a nightmare to arrange this! I need to come up with more valid approaches instead of complaints. I have a good time at Soap Bubble. I have not attended Synergy yet. I do not want to imply that I want to take a fun dance from kids, but I just do NOT see kids raving with adults as a good thing in any sense. It's not good. Doesn't look good.

Two things: First, it's Jeffito not Jeffrito. :P Second, why make suggestions about something you've never been to?

This post has been edited by DJ Jeffito: 26 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Dance Coordinator
: Anime Apocalypse 2013; Anime Crossroads 2015; Anime Milwaukee 2012, 2014, 2015; Anime World Chicago 2011, 2012; Anime World Indianapolis 2012; Kollision Con 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013; Shuto Con 2014
Guest DJ: 30+ conventions, including Anime Central, Anime Expo, and Sakura-Con (Full list on my Facebook page)

#127 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostSiren_N0el, on 26 November 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

This one, Siren_N0el, is the post I was referring to.
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#128 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

Apologies, spelling error.

Because I think two all age raves/dances/parties is ridiculous for an anime convention. Why must ACen have two? I do not understand.
And Soap Bubble is where I see the stupidest behavior. yes, attendees will act out anywhere at any time, even if there were no dances. (And I am NOT implying both dances disappear..) But there are kids merged with adults in a questionable setting for the dance. I find that to be uncomfortable and I see it as a risk for something to happen, escalate, and someone ends up sued for it! If Synergy is much like Soap Bubble, even more reason to remove one or make each one vastly differing in age groups.
poopies.

#129 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

That post was a full-on agreement with your post about the reminder to keep tones and posts civil. I was implying that I acknowledged your reminder, and am/will behave appropriately. I did not mean it as a superseding statement regarding your reminder. I have no reason or intent to sass you or anyone else posting here or anywhere else on the forums. I am sorry for the confusion regarding that.
poopies.

#130 User is offline   Attack The Music 

• Hardcore Synergy Promoter
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63178

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostSiren_N0el, on 26 November 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Apologies, spelling error.

Because I think two all age raves/dances/parties is ridiculous for an anime convention. Why must ACen have two? I do not understand.
And Soap Bubble is where I see the stupidest behavior. yes, attendees will act out anywhere at any time, even if there were no dances. (And I am NOT implying both dances disappear..) But there are kids merged with adults in a questionable setting for the dance. I find that to be uncomfortable and I see it as a risk for something to happen, escalate, and someone ends up sued for it! If Synergy is much like Soap Bubble, even more reason to remove one or make each one vastly differing in age groups.

See here's the problem, you're making the assumption that Hardcore Synergy is "just another anime con dance/rave/party". The people who are complaining just don't pay much attention to what the event is actually about. As stated on the previous page, Hardcore Synergy is 100% about emulating what you would see in the Japanese club/edm/underground electronic scene. We bring relevant Japanese talent (many of them produce for video games, anime, or are just well known doujin remix/arrange artists) out every year to put on literally the only anime convention event of its kind in North America. ACen is just as much about celebrating Japanese culture as it is just Japanese animation and manga, HCS is an extension of that idea. Everyone speaking against it in this thread clearly has no concept of how relevant the event actually is.

As for Soap Bubble, that's an ACen institution at this point, there's absolutely no way it's going away or seeing a drastic change in the way it's operated anytime soon. Besides that, have you seen the lines for either party? There's no way one can be cancelled and not effect a major amount of the convention's attendees in a negative way.

This post has been edited by Attack The Music: 26 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

#131 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

k.

This post has been edited by Siren_N0el: 26 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

poopies.

#132 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

Ok- well I've been keeping tabs on this thread throughout the day- and I just want to put this out. There are people that feel strongly about the different opposing views. - I am one of them. Lets try not to attack one another or let those personal views impact the way we handle the situation.

Now that being said- just because something has always been done one way doesnt mean it can not change. Its like telling the Anime Hell people that their groups do not warrant the big rooms anymore and the Iron Editor people that their events are no longer on the schedule. A lot of people were (and still are) angry about those two things. It very well may have impacted attendance- but that doesnt mean that the change was a bad thing or that people who oppose that view do not have the right to express their opinion. There is obvious signs of opposition to the views- and a lot of people very obviously trying to start arguments about it - or poking the proverbial bear as it will. This is not constructive. I'm not forum staff, and I'm not trying to be. I shall leave it up to them to monitor these things, but please as an attendee and long time forum member, can we stop the bickering and be constructive?

I leave you with this food for thought.

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”
― Apple Inc.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#133 User is offline   DJ Jeffito 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

Siren_N0el, there's no need to double post in other threads as evidenced in the link below.

http://www.ACen.org/...ost__p__1112961

Dance Coordinator

#134 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:02 PM

Let's keep in mind that that was three days ago. It's still also a viable topic for both threads.

Keep it chill, guys. Please?

#135 User is offline   Fudgi P0pZ 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9430

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Although I am all for NOT getting rid of either dance, Siren_N0el, you've raised some points that I can agree with. They both do cater to completely different audiences, so posting an age restriction on one and not the other has the potential of diminishing either event. If an age restriction were to be implemented, I say both or nothing, as DJ Jeffito has mentioned in an above post.

For the age restriction argument, here's a scenario: There's a curfew in place by the state of Illinois. I am a minor, but I want to go to Soap Bubble. I'm there, I'm having a great time and when 12:01am rolls around, I don't want to leave--and why should I? It goes on into the wee hours of the morning, PLUS I'm already here! No one would know if I stayed. *My point? Do you really think people are going to leave the dance of their own volition once they're admitted? Responsible people will, yes, but let's just consider for a second that some minors aren't responsible (as neither are adults, but let's save that topic). Having an age restriction already in place would prevent a minor dance attendee from feeling like they only got to see half of the show, as well as absolve ACen of fault if a minor doesn't leave at the curfew time.

If we can't do age restrictions, how about this: I haven't attended Soap Bubble during this time frame, but potentially, when the curfew time rolls around, an announcement can be made indicating such and directing all attendees to who the curfew applies leave the dance. They may be readmitted at the door if they have a legal guardian with them. I know this is disruptive to the vibe, but sacrifices have to be made if you're catering to all ages. This could be an intermission sort of thing--gives a chance for dj changeover, water refill, lights can be turned on to find your shirt, etc. If the minor doesn't leave, that's on them. This could be a hard case for ACen to fight, though, since they're not actually checking to see who's a minor and who isn't. However, with that announcement, it isn't like ACen isn't taking measures to prevent the issue. Is this already being done? Comments? It's more of a compromise between the opposing viewpoints and doesn't address either one fully, but it might help in some way. A present, responsible guardian could help to curve any questionable activity undertaken by said minor.

In regards to the color-coded badges, I've heard some scenarios brought up where a minor could steal an adult's badge just to attend the dances. Even if that does happen, wouldn't that put the issue of liability back on the minor (and his/her guardian)? Why would it put responsibility on the shoulders of ACen for guardian negligence? It's not like alcohol is being served. I'm not informed of any specific laws, but I don't see how a stolen badge can be ACen's problem. A minor was admitted under false pretenses, sure. But who was the perpetrator there? The negligent guardian. ACen already has a rule and system in place to prevent such occurrences, and if that system is abused, what else could ACen really be expected to do? I'd appreciate some insight on this.

All this said, I totally respect ACen for not only wanting to protect but also entertain ALL of their attendees. This organization rocks, just saying. I sure appreciated the all-inclusiveness when I was a minor. :)/>

This post has been edited by Fudgi P0pZ: 03 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

..::..2014 Cosplay Goals..::..
.: Aisha ClanClan:.

Keeping it light this year! :)

Thanks Neskaya for the lovely avatar.

#136 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

@Siren Noel Making Synergy 18 and under only would be HORRIBLE. Do you even know the point of the two dances? Soap Bubble has local DJs and DJs from across America, but most of them are from here. Synergy is pretty much all Japanese DJs. I'd really rather not be barred from hearing a bunch of my favorite DJs from Japan because you're paranoid about age restrictions. =/

Personally, I can see the argument for making Soap Bubble 18+, but I also don't really think it's that bad. I attend both dances and love them both dearly, and I honestly have to say that I don't see much in the way of terribly objectionable behavior going on at either. Yes, there is dancing. Yes, it can get pretty risque. But I have honestly never witnessed anything worse than what I would at a high school dance. In fact, I've seen worse at high school dances. I don't really feel like going out of our way to protect teenagers from the dance is needed. Alcohol isn't sold there. No one's passing out LSD. It's just. Dancing.

This post has been edited by feuerwerke: 05 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#137 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

Just had to unapprove posts again...since my warning from last week has been disregarded, I'm closing the thread temporarily. When it's open again, I expect you all to be civil and polite to each other, regardless of opinions, thoughts and beliefs.

ETA: Here's the response to the dance/badge matter.

#138 User is offline   hydrageon123 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62194

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

the one thing i think was very good and should be the same for each year, is the day that the evangelion photo shoot is on, it has to be on a saturday, there would be more time for it, and it would make more sense, plus the evangelion panel was on a saturday as well. so it makes complete sense, plus in terms of school. which is important i don't want to skip school to just go to a photo shoot and then get suspended, even if it is later on friday, it should be put on saturday to be safe =)
I like to be called by the name Fer. as in Feraligatr

#139 User is offline   Pyrochan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 91

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

Sorry if I am suggesting something that ACen already provides (in which I figure it to be fairly recent then) but is it possible to provide a "Cosplay Repair Room"? Has basic supplies like thread, safety pins, glues, etc for emergency touch-ups throughout the con weekend. Just an idea...
"Am I just a prologue or something?!"

IRT 2009-2010, 2013? [callsign: Pyro]
Acen14 Cosplay ideas:
Satsuki Kiryuin [Kill la Kill] / Naru [Ghost Hunt] / Homura [PMMM] / Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi]

teamheichou @ tumblr / colorless productions

#140 User is offline   loveorlife721 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 52117

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

The biggest thing I would love to see would be getting Midwest Karaoke Madness to come and have a giant panel. It was really popular at the other cons it's been at, and it's tons of fun.

#141 User is offline   Clare 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62946

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

I honestly agree with everyone saying move the raves up to 18+.
Sorry, but the raves are really not kid friendly.

This post has been edited by Clare: 20 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

ACen 2012-Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck), Hilda (Pokemon BW), Matyroshka Gumi (Vocaloid)
ACen 2013-Bunny Themed Lolita Coord, Madoka Kaname (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Fionna the Human (Adventure Time)
ACen 2014-Madoka Kaname (PMMM-100%), Mahiru Koizumi (SDR2-80%), Rei Ayanami (NGE-100%), Possibly Chiaki Nanami (SDR2-100%, borrowing from gf)

#142 User is offline   Evil_Nerd 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 44852

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

My suggestion has already been mentioned but, I would love if ACen announced guests faster. That has been a sore point for me the last two years, that guests are announced very late. Friends and I missed out on Kalafina and Angelic Pretty, because it was announced too late.

#143 User is offline   Bard-kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 212

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Color-coded under- and over-18 badges. It'd save a ton of time at over-18 panels and make raves safer.

EDIT: Oh, oh! There were some great suggestions by Dark_Spellmaster here:

1. ACen's GOT TALENT, or ANIME BANDS: I got this idea after seeing a few skits and reading a few older comments to a thread about the fact that there's a lot of singing acts in more the masqurade. What this would entail is basically musical acts that want to preform songs from a show (anime, jrpg, visual novel game, possibly orignal stuff, etc) and the audience can vote on who's the Best, if you will. They win some sort of small prize, either maybe some discout to a local shop, maybe something to the new place they have across the way at Rosmont, or a movie co gift set. Something fun for people to go see and enjoy that doesn't include dancing.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13.142857551574707px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">2. Slumber Party Event: What eoes this mean, well what it sounds like. One big slumber party. Basically people can come in their PJs (no boxers or just undies people please) and sit down to watch a cool anime, play some games, and just have a fun time that revolves around anime or Japanese culture. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13.142857551574707px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);"><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13.142857551574707px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">3. Host Club experince/Maid Cafe: Basically what it sounds like. Volenteers or Cosplayers, basically act as Butlers or Maids or other form of character and sit and talk to the fans. This can also have a story to it and the customers can play in. Much like a dinner theater event. I know there are probably some actors and actresses that come to ACen that this could be a good chance for pratice and fun too. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13.142857551574707px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);"><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13.142857551574707px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">
4. Japanese Game show: Event is basically based on the Japanese game shows only it wouldn't involve insane and dangerous stunts. The idea is for it to be amusing and fans can win small prizes. Again nothing like money but something like a gift certificat to one of the local shops or maybe something online, like Right stuf or Funimation can supply a prize or two. Maybe a discount at their booth, or one of the vendors could.

This post has been edited by Bard-kun: 22 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Join the parade.

HENT4RMAGEDDON: You Can (Not) Unsee. Tentatively scheduled for 12:30-2:30 AM in the Donald E Stephens Convention Center, Panel Room Six. Join us for an evening of fun, games, and memories so twisted you'll wish you could live in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

#144 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostEvil_Nerd, on 21 January 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

My suggestion has already been mentioned but, I would love if ACen announced guests faster. That has been a sore point for me the last two years, that guests are announced very late. Friends and I missed out on Kalafina and Angelic Pretty, because it was announced too late.

I agree. I don't know what's wrong over at guest relations, but something is VERY wrong. It's absolutely absurd how long it takes ACen to finalize the guest list. We're one of the biggest cons in the country. It's time we stepped it up re; guests. Announce them faster, get more high caliber guests, etc.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#145 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 01 February 2014 - 07:28 AM, said:

I agree. I don't know what's wrong over at guest relations, but something is VERY wrong. It's absolutely absurd how long it takes ACen to finalize the guest list. We're one of the biggest cons in the country. It's time we stepped it up re; guests. Announce them faster, get more high caliber guests, etc.

This complaint has been going for years.
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#146 User is offline   C-B 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65009

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:16 AM

I didn't see this listed so it's worth a shot. Quiet Zones.

I'm not talking about a huge area, and definitely no talking about napping spots, I'm just talking about a place to relax at the convention without all the hustle and bustle noise that goes with it. What I mean is a place off to the side where you can read that new manga you just bought in peace, a quiet place for parents to feed their infants, a place to nurse that headache cheering on your favorite panel, a place to just sit and meditate even.

I'm not sure how it can be pulled off, to be honest, but I think it's worth suggesting. I know there are plenty of times when I just need a bit of quiet and rest my feet before venturing back into the chaos.
"Conscripted" Volunteer ADH - 2014

#147 User is offline   DJ Jeffito 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

I have an idea! How about having the "raves" in the lobby during the afternoon? From Noon-5 PM! Posted Image

Actually, Anime North and Anime Expo have both had their dances outdoors and it's been great vibes all around. It's even possible to have it during the day (kind of like a music festival) and it would be easier for any type of security to roam around and see if there's any "risque" behavior going around (although I've yet to see anything as crazy happen at Anime Central like someone getting urinated on like at this year's Ohyaocon dance).

I've stated my opinion and honestly, as an attendee and someone who has DJed multiple times for the Soap Bubble, I doubt anyone will take the suggestions I (or anyone on here) propose unless there's a legitimate change in who runs the Soap Bubble and a change in the attitude of how Anime Central wants people to view the Soap Bubble as: Either another crazy anime con rave known for its shenanigans OR another crazy anime con rave known for being the most safely run with amazing nationwide talent.

But hey, someone who has DJed nearly 50 cons in the past 4 years including Anime Expo, Colossal Con, Sakura Con, even Anime Central, and has run multiple convention raves including this year's Anime Milwaukee LOVE <3 SHINE, Kollision Con, Shuto Con, Anime Apocalypse, Anime World Chicago, Anime World Indy, what do I know, right?

This post has been edited by DJ Jeffito: 11 February 2014 - 05:05 AM

Dance Coordinator

#148 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostC-B, on 11 February 2014 - 04:16 AM, said:

I'm not talking about a huge area, and definitely no talking about napping spots, I'm just talking about a place to relax at the convention without all the hustle and bustle noise that goes with it. What I mean is a place off to the side where you can read that new manga you just bought in peace, a quiet place for parents to feed their infants, a place to nurse that headache cheering on your favorite panel, a place to just sit and meditate even.

I'm not sure how it can be pulled off, to be honest, but I think it's worth suggesting. I know there are plenty of times when I just need a bit of quiet and rest my feet before venturing back into the chaos.

This would be awesome. I know Otakon a bunch of years back had a manga library in a smaller room. You would go in, check out a book (they'd note your badge number/name and the book you checked out) and sit at one of the tables to read. It was a quiet place (enforced by staff working the room) to go and unwind a bit while not exiting the convention itself. I'm not sure what kind of organization they partnered with to get the books, though.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#149 User is offline   isbichan 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63620

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

Quiet Zones... a quiet place for parents to feed their infants

I'm not sure if they still do, but disability services used to provide those.

#150 User is offline   slinkysan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 20384

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

This is a great idea. I love ACen but the crowds can get overwhelming at times. I've had a room in the Hyatt for the past several years, so ducking out to take a breather was too big of a deal for me. But I'd imagine that'd it suck to completely leave the convention just to relax for a while if you had a hotel room further away.
And since I'm considering bringing my 12 month-old foster child, having a quiet place to chill in the convention hall would greatly benefit him. And it would give me chance to connect with other people who have brought their young ones. ^_^/>

This post has been edited by slinkysan: 12 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

2013 Cosplays
Friday: Moonstuck Woona
Saturday: Princess Luna

2014 Cosplay
Friday: Rule 63 Big Mac
Saturday: Princess Luna

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic